The 2016 MSAR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah mine is still active from last year and it updated.

How do they have "matriculated" data if no one has matriculated yet?

Interesting to notice how the National median shifted from a 33 to a 31 - wonder why!

Reactions: 1 user
iirc, this "2016 edition" is released in 2015 containing data from fall of 2014
This one has the most recent data, including the current first year students (class of 2018).

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
If I am not mistaken, Professor, this is the first thread you have ever started.

A perfect occasion for it.
I guess that makes it somewhat forgivable that she* messed up the title...it's the MSAR 2016

I know, I just think it's funny how everyone assumes gyngyn is a chica

So what are the interesting changes since last year's?
No OOS applicants matriculated to UCR or UCD.
Rutgers still only matriculated 1 OOS.
RWJ is all the way up to 5 OOS.
Only 62 schools are accepting international applicants (down from 65).
AZ continues to matriculate a considerable number of OOS applicants.

Reactions: 9 users
These are the previously unreported data from the current 1st year class.
You're like the guru of instate/OOS/cali stuff huh

So it is in fact data which was finalized in Fall 2014 when the class of 2018 entered school. Why the heck is it called MSAR 2016

You're like the guru of instate/OOS/cali stuff huh

So it is in fact data which was finalized in Fall 2014 when the class of 2018 entered school. Why the heck is it called MSAR 2016

You are asking me to explain the behavior of AAMC?
Even I automatically called it 2015!

Reactions: 5 users
I guess that makes it somewhat forgivable that she* messed up the title...it's the MSAR 2016

I know, I just think it's funny how everyone assumes gyngyn is a chica
There are gentleman gyns out here! like our gyngyn!

The previously reported medians included the scores of every acceptance.
This magnifies the effect of multiple acceptances of high stats applicants.
Shouldn't the median be higher ? If an applicant got 28 and 33, only using the higher score would increase the median I would think.

Shouldn't the median be higher ? If an applicant got 28 and 33, only using the higher score would increase the median I would think.
AAMC doesn't indicate which of multiple MCAT's it counts as the individual's "MCAT" score.
They recommend an average. I'll ask if that is what they use!

You are asking me to explain the behavior of AAMC?
Even I automatically called it 2015!
If I understand the timing correctly, it will be two years from now when get a real blockbuster MSAR update: One that includes score ranges for the new MCAT.

I think they should just give us their excel files with all of the raw data.

Reactions: 7 users
If I understand the timing correctly, it will be two years from now when get a real blockbuster MSAR update: One that includes score ranges for the new MCAT.
We both really need to develop some outside interests!

Reactions: 11 users
We both really need to develop some outside interests!
Ha ha, I totally deserve that.

I offer a weak excuse for still caring about this: I am helping another person prepare to apply, and it'll be a little harder to make a school list since they're taking the new MCAT.

Edit: I accidentally a word.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Edit: Yep two years. Though, there will be a mix of old and new MCAT scores for the Fall 2016 class, so it'll be interesting to see how the MSAR handles things - percentiles, or listing both score ranges?

Last edited:
Nope, next year. Then you'll get the "2017 edition" released in 2016 which contains data from the people entering Fall 2015. Though, there will be a mix of old and new MCAT scores for the Fall 2015 class, so it'll be interesting to see how the MSAR handles things - percentiles, or listing both score ranges?
That's my entering class--no one has taken the new MCAT yet!

I wonder why they don't release both duplicated and non-duplicated medians?
They do, they always place a little footnote stating that the shown number is duplicated/unduplicated and that the other number is XX.

There will be people taking the April, May, and probably summer MCATs that apply in the coming cycle
Correct. The entering class of 2016, not 2015.

Reactions: 1 users
I offer a weak excuse for still caring about this: I am helping another person prepare to apply, and it'll a little harder to make a school list since they're taking the new MCAT.
I'm trying to help a few thousand. I totally understand.

Reactions: 18 users
I'm not applying till 2016. Would you all recommend getting this year's edition? I will absolutely buy the 2017 MSAR regardless.

I'm not applying till 2016, would you all recommend getting this year's edition? I will absolutely buy the 2017 MSAR regardless.

The real value is in choosing the schools to which you are best suited (OOS stats...).

Reactions: 2 users
The real value is in choosing the schools to which you are best suited (OOS stats...).

The pre-reqs are important for me actually. I once had this silly idea of applying to every school in the nation but I realized now that would not be wise. I would absolutely agree that the MSAR is a worthy investment for the reason stated above.

Reactions: 2 users
How will the new MCAT scores be factored into range of each school since MSAR does not have that info out as yet?

How will the new MCAT scores be factored into range of each school since MSAR does not have that info out as yet?
Completely speculating here, but I think they will just use percentiles as someone mentioned previously in this thread.

They will probably give stats for both tests.

Internally we will use percentages, but the names of each of the sub-scores has changed enough that direct comparisons are unlikely for the AAMC.

Fascinating...under 'Selection Factors' they've added military service besides the usual research/volunteerism/shadowing. Wowzas!

Reactions: 1 users