The Actual *SURFACE* of an Amalgam Filling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nguyenkimphat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

I was wondering if you could please give me some explanation regarding amalgam fillings. I cannot remember exactly, but someone told me that on the surface of the amalgam filling, there is mercury that has risen to the very surface. They told me something that the pressure of the condensation makes the mercury rise up to the top of the amalgam filling. They said that this is the reason why after 24 hours, the amalgam filling starts to look shiny - because the mercury within the amalgam filling has risen to the top of the filling after 24 hours.

Then I was also told that as long as there is a mercury rich surface on the amalgam filling, a fresh mix of amalgam can still bind to the old mix of amalgam.

I'm so confused - I remember that I was told something very important about the actual surface of the amalgam filling, but I just can't remember what. I was told something very special about the surface of the amalgam filling, and was wondering if you guys could please help me.

Can you please tell me more information about the actual surface of the amalgam filling?
Is it true that the pressure of the condensation causes the mercury inside the amalgam to rise to the top, and therefore, make the surface of the filling shiny?
If the mercury within an amalgam rises to the top surface, then what is in the chemical/material below the surface?
What about the 24 hour thing? What is the end result after 24 hours? Does that mean that after 24 hours, the amalgam filling is completed and fully cured/hardened?

Members don't see this ad.

1) dental schools have instructors...and even D2s, D3s, and D4s
2) the devil is inside you

Reactions: 1 user