the Adderall thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PoorMD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard countless stories about grades going up.. 'changed my life' they say.. I'm curious, because I have trouble reading sometimes too. In fact I can't read at all somedays. I just sort of gloss over things and my optic nerve technically transmits it but no higher center relays it to memory and such.. and Im up and down, sort of bouncing around, writing some thread on SDN about adderall, cleaning the apartment, you get the idea...

However, I have no problem watching 2-3 hours of NCAA basketball on tv, nope I won't even get up once during that span except to maybe get another brew... am i still a candidate for ADD? even though my leisure activities (world of warcraft, basketball at gym, chillin' with friends) exhibits no attention-deficit whatsoever?

p.s. I am trying claritin and caffeine to stay amped for this exam block, we will see how it goes.. :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

PoorMD said:
...am i still a candidate for ADD? even though my leisure activities (world of warcraft, basketball at gym, chillin' with friends) exhibits no attention-deficit whatsoever?

Yes. Put most simply, ADDer's just need more than the usual stimulation/interest in a subject to maintain focus on it. But yes, when something grabs their attention, it can be just as, if not more, difficult to switch gears. Fortunately, directed at a productive endeavor, that hyperfocus is very valuable.

What Adderal does is reduce your impulsivity, helping you can control what to ignore and what to focus on. I haven't found it to reduce hyperfocus, much. [if anything, I see it increasing it]

Having said all that, I think a lot of us become scattered at times, so this doesn't mean you are ADD. I'd look for a long history of impulsivity and difficulty focusing before I'd think ADD. [adhd ad/hd - whatever ;) ]

087.gif