This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hold both my BA and MA in History and am attending UT. I had the exact same question going into my program. What I've learned is that while my science background was weaker than many of my peers my background as a historian gave me exceptionally strong systems level thinking skills. Many historians are actually sought after in computer science because of our ability to look at an entire system and then hone in on specific parts and how they are interconnected. This is a great advantage in public health as well I've found I do very well especially in my health policy courses and I also did better than many of my peers in biostatistics because these classes really require the same skills. It's funny because going into my program I thought I was going to fail biostatistics because of my lack of background in calculus but if I had it to do over again I might have majored in it. You may also find yourself really drawn to the ethical dilemmas in public health and health disparities because again so much of these problems are deeply rooted in the past. Most schools offer or even require as well a course in Public Health history and most schools also usually have a trained historian teaching that class so very few schools have no historians as faculty in fact Emory's department head used to be a medical historian (maybe still?) Good luck and don't sell yourself short at all you will find you have strengths your peers don't have and vice versa.

Members don't see this ad.

My Stats:

GPA: 3.69 from a top arts college. Majored in Psychology and minored in Sociology. SOPHAS calculated my GPA breakdown in a favorable way with my lowest being a 3.6 and my highest a 4.0.

New GRE: not my best work...:eek: horrible at standardized test taking.

*recs. 1 from Academic Adviser/Professor (took 2 adv. level courses received A- in both)
* 1 from Professor/Community-Based Learning supervisor
* 1 from current boss, who holds a high position in the medical field and is the Principal Investigator of the project I'm working on.
- I'm confident in all my recommendations.

Experience: *In year 2 as a Clinical Research Coordinator in well known hospital.

* During my undergraduate years served as a Director of a community based-learning program in a low-income city.

* Internship in Washington, DC at a non-profit child advocacy agency focusing on health care reform.

-Solid Statement of Purpose

Schools applied to: BU, Columbia, GWU, University of Pittsburgh, University of Connecticut, Brown, Drexel, New York Medical College, Dartmouth College/Institute, NYU

** Interested in the Social and Behavioral Sciences Track

I know I probably went a little overboard on the number of schools I applied to... but I was anxious about my low GRE scores.

Accepted: University of Pittsburgh, New York Medical College, Drexel University, Boston University, Dartmouth College, NYU

Still waiting on the others....

What do you think my chances are at the other schools I applied to?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
My stats:

GPA: 3.5 in Political Science from a good state school.
GRE: 90% V, 44%Q, 4.5 AW

LORs: 3 professors, 1 public health professional supervisor

Experience: Senate campaign, Public Health non-profit

Applied to BU and Yale, health policy/management tracks

I'm most curious about Yale. I desperately want to go there but the low acceptance rate scares me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Undergraduate Institutions: US Air Force Academy & University of Denver

Degree: BS Psychology w minors in Medical Physics and Religious Studies (transferred from USAFA and graduated from University of Denver 2010)

GPA: 3.81

Currently interning at a Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (Since 8-2011)

GRE: Verbal: 164 (94th percentile) Quantitative 159 (82nd percentile) AW: 5 (87th percentile)

Programs Applying to: Dartmouth MPH, UC Berkeley Professional MPH

Dartmouth app submitted on 12/15, UC Berkeley app must be submitted by 04/02

Last edited:
I'm applying to Yale, BU, and Columbia. Yale is by far my #1 choice but Im concerned about the low acceptance rates. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.5, Political Science from a well respected state school
GRE: 90% V, 44% Q, 72% (4.5) AW
LOR: 3 professors, 1 public health professional supervisor

Experience: Senate Campaign Intern, Public Health non-profit intern

My Stats:

GPA: 3.69 from a top arts college. Majored in Psychology and minored in Sociology. SOPHAS calculated my GPA breakdown in a favorable way with my lowest being a 3.6 and my highest a 4.0.

New GRE: not my best work... horrible at standardized test taking.

*recs. 1 from Academic Adviser/Professor (took 2 adv. level courses received A- in both)
* 1 from current boss, who holds a high position in the medical field and is the Principal Investigator of the project I'm working on.

Experience: *In year 2 as a Clinical Research Coordinator in well known hospital.

* During my undergraduate years served as a Director of a community based-learning program in a low-income city.

* Internship in Washington, DC at a non-profit child advocacy agency focusing on health care reform.

Schools applied to: BU, Columbia, GWU, University of Pittsburgh, University of Connecticut, Brown, Drexel, Dartmouth, New York Medical College, New York University.

I know I probably went a little overboard on the number of schools I applied to... but I was anxious about my low GRE scores.

Accepted: University of Pittsburgh, New York Medical College, Drexel University, Boston University, Dartmouth, NYU

Thanks!

Last edited:
My Stats:

New GRE: not my best work... horrible at standardized test taking.

Schools applied to: BU, Columbia, GWU, University of Pittsburgh, University of Connecticut, Brown, Drexel, New York Medical College, New York University.

Accepted: University of Pittsburgh, New York Medical College, Drexel University, Boston University

Thanks!
Overall, you are a great candidate! :D

Anyone can give any feedback on my chances?

I'll be applying to only UT-Houston in Epidemiology. I am starting their certificate program in Public Health this upcoming January.

GPA: 3.6 in Psyc, had a rough start with a 3.0 GPA, but have had a very positive trend. In my last 25ish classes, all have been A's except one class (which was a D) My last 54 hours, my GPA was a 3.86. (Missed Sum Cum Laude by .04 points! -__-)

GRE: 159V/155Q - Unofficial scores. I feel good enough on the essays to get at least a 4. 84% Verbal, 69% Quant

LoRs: Very strong points right here, have 2 very solid letters.

SoP: This is medium I suppose, I've had a friend review it who works at our Uni's writing center and she said it was good and checked it up.

Extra Currics: 3 years as a undergraduate research center at a mental health clinic at our school. In my LoR, the director mentioned I am actually the head RA for the clinic. Also volunteer at a hospital--had around 30 hours there. Also volunteer at the annual marathon races. Also did an internship in surgery for 2 months. I also work at my fathers corporation part time, I listed it--but don't think it will factor in.

Additional Info: I am studying abroad this upcoming winter and mentioned that.

I feel my extra currics lag behind many of these people apps I'm reading. My GRE score is def not going to be stellar, but I believe my GPA and LoRs should help cushion that.

Any thoughts? Feedback would be appreciated.

Edit: Also, any extra feedback on the strengths of LoRs? Both letters directly address UT-Houston, and my prof mentions I had the highest grade in both of his Physics 1 and Physics 2 classes. My other letter speaks greatly for me succeeding in graduate school. I feel my app is decent--but the only thing that concerns me is the GRE score....

Last edited:
Hi.

I am glad I found this forum just before I decided to apply for MPH. I am looking at an Epi-Biostats concentration. I am an MBBS from India. I graduated a couple of years ago. I have been working as a research assistant for 2 years in Pulmonary unit in a tertiary referral hospital.

My GPA has not yet come from WES. I have an aggregate of 61% in my MBBS.
I scored 106 on TOEFL and converted score of revised general test being 1300 on GRE.

I have quite a few international abstracts (Tuberculosis, Sarcoidosis, Lung Cancer research) to my credit along with case reports. International Student medical conference presentations and awards. Worked in a primary health care setting for 3 months in a rural setup.

I am now in a fix and I wanted some opinions with regard to applying to schools for MPH.

As of now I am not sure if I want to do a residency. I have not thought about it. I want to do an MPH mainly because it is a degree which will enable to make changes in terms of a chronic disease or the pattern or even the preventive aspect of it. MPH will make me give back something to the society at large.

I have now considered to apply to the following schools. What are my chances?
1. University of Michigan School of Public Health.
2. Boston University.
3. Emory.
4. Mailman (Columbia)
5. GW school of public health.
6. Drexel
7. University of Pittssburg
8. University of St.Louis
9. University of South Florida
10. Ohio State University
11. Yale is a dream

Kindly let me know your valuable opinions and suggestions.
I intend to finish applying to atleast 8 programs if not 11 or more.

Thank you everyone.

And secondly - I have been learning classical music and finished my Senior Grade with Honors. I have 2 good letters stating my abilities as a leader, my work during the H1N1 crisis and tsunami victim camps etc. My projects include Tuberculosis, National Immunization Programs and Geriatric and Community psychiatry and ophthalmology research.

I was the lead singer of my college band. I also have awards for being runner up in table tennis for 6 years in a row (i never won it - 6 years runner up). Have a certification of core computing degree in C++. Part of ASHA - raising funds for girl child. Member of PETA. etc. Have few other professional memberships and I am a student reviewer of Australasian Medical Journal.

Please let me know my chances.

Hello all! I'm feeling very anxious about my chances of getting into the MPH - Health Management schools I've applied to and want to know your opinion on my chances. I attend the University of Virginia and my GPA is 3.4.

My GRE scores (on the new test) are:
Verbal: 160 (equivalent to about a 610)
Q: 154 (equivalent to about a 690)
W: 4.5

I've interned at both international and domestic hospitals and am a current intern at the local health department.

Applied to: Emory (my top choice), Tulane, Columbia, BU, GW, UGA, and UNC

I've submitted all my applications to SOPHAS but they have yet to be sent out (how long does this normally take?)

What do you think my chances are?

Hello all! I'm feeling very anxious about my chances of getting into the MPH - Health Management schools I've applied to and want to know your opinion on my chances. I attend the University of Virginia and my GPA is 3.4.

I've interned at both international and domestic hospitals and am a current intern at the local health department.

I've submitted all my applications to SOPHAS but they have yet to be sent out (how long does this normally take?)

good chance.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey UofV, where did you the comparisons from your revised GRE score to the old? I see a table to compare old scores to new, but not new to old. I took the GRE and got my unofficial---do they include the comparisons with the official?

Hi guys.. I'm in a situation of terrible GPA but ok GREs. I am in 4th year at a decent/top public school in Canada (McGill), my cGPA is 3.0, which doesn't meet the cutoff for many schools. I had one terrible semester, which if I take out, my gpa is 3.42.

On the upside my GREs are V: 164 (94); Q: 168 (96); A: 5.5 (96) ... I'll graduate in May, I have some research experience in health informatics and pharmacosurveillance. I'm directing a program which organizes an international trip to compare and learn about foreign healthcare systems, and compare and contrast them, and have been active in the school community.

At this point I'm really uncertain about this round due to my GPA. Is it worth it? I still have a semester left to finish my Bachelors (Double majors BA&Sc in Biomedical Sciences and International Development Studies), so right now I'm thinking about applying to 4 schools in Canada (where I'm from, and is much cheaper), and if that doesn't work out I'll expand my school pool for 2013. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hello everybody:

My friend is applying to MPH programs (several in top 25 and others that are not for a combined total of 10 programs).

She has all the preferred coursework and will be graduating with a Biology undergrad this May.

She is studying for her first time GRE right now.

She has 2 letters of recommendation from Virology and Microbiology professors. She also has a letter from a Pharmacist with whom she works at a free clinic (total of 100 hours this past several months).

Here's the kicker...she has a 2.5 GPA with an upward trend recently. She does have some C's in classes like organic, but for all the preferred classes by MPH programs she has a B or better.

What are her chances?

What should she focus on other than the GRE?

What should be the tone of her letter of intent/personal statement?

Are there any schools that historically take a lot of fresh undergrads?

If she doesn't get in...what she should do to buff her transcript?

Focus on cGPA or sGPA post-bacc?

I really appreciate everyone's response. I do not appreciate flaming and balking. Save it for someone who cares. Constructive criticisms please. Thank you very much.

Hi Friends, its an awesome community.

Im an IMG. I have e-submitted my application to Sophas.
WES has received my documents for evaluation yesterday.

How much time will it take for application to reach Tulane ??

I have applied Tulane MPH Tropical Medicine for Summer 2012. Toefl 115, Medical School completed 2011.

How tough is it to get into Tulane?? What are my chances ??

Thanx.

Hello! Good luck to everyone that applied this round!

I will be applying to MHA programs this Fall and am trying to gauge my chances.

GPA: 3.2
GMAT: 710 (was thinking about going the MBA route instead after a few years but decided against it)
Experience: 1.5 years non-healthcare work experience, 6 months with healthcare related non-profit (policy/advocacy), 2 years healthcare consulting by matriculation (provider operations - current position), hospital volunteering and other extracurriculars in addition to multiple jobs back in undergrad

My goal is to obtain an administrative fellowship at a large academic health system and then grow from there.

Any idea what my chances are at:
UMich MHSA
UNC MHA
Minnesota MHA
VCU MHA
Washington MHA
Rush MS-HSM
Alabama-Birmingham MSHA
Cornell MHA
and any others you would recommend? (I have a few more that I'm looking at but would like to apply to 10 schools or less)

Thanks!

I am applying to the following MPH schools: Dartmouth, Boston, Columbia, Emory, Ohio State, Tulane, Michigan, Florida, and Yale. What do people think my chances of acceptance are and should I do anything to better my chances?

GPA: 3.67 Triple Major (Engineering Physics, Biochemistry, and Zoology: University Honors)
MCAT: 13 BS 09 PS 07 VR = 29Q
GRE: Schools I applied to do not require
Letters of Rec: All great letters, used my medical school admissions committee letter to save my professors hassles of writing more letters
Essay: Talks about my healthcare experience, reason for wanting to pursue MPH and MD later on, and how my vision is aligned with the schools vision

Extracurricular Activities :
-FAA Certificated Flight Instructor
-FAA Commercial Pilot
-Full time college student at age 16
-Scholar Leader Program (Select program at my school for leadership...past people in the program have been Rhodes Scholars, Gates Scholars, etc.)
-Undergrad Physics Lab Instructor
-Multiple years on Student Government working on Academic and Environmental Policy
-Multiple runner of Marathon races
-School sailing team member and instructor
-Retina Regeneration Research
-Multiple Scholarships and Awards for academic excellence
-Lots of volunteer and clinical experience (free clinics and such)

I am applying to the following MPH schools: Dartmouth, Boston, Columbia, Emory, Ohio State, Tulane, Michigan, Florida, and Yale. What do people think my chances of acceptance are and should I do anything to better my chances?

GPA: 3.67 Triple Major (Engineering Physics, Biochemistry, and Zoology: University Honors)
MCAT: 13 BS 09 PS 07 VR = 29Q
GRE: Schools I applied to do not require
Letters of Rec: All great letters, used my medical school admissions committee letter to save my professors hassles of writing more letters
Essay: Talks about my healthcare experience, reason for wanting to pursue MPH and MD later on, and how my vision is aligned with the schools vision

Extracurricular Activities :
-FAA Certificated Flight Instructor
-FAA Commercial Pilot
-Full time college student at age 16
-Scholar Leader Program (Select program at my school for leadership...past people in the program have been Rhodes Scholars, Gates Scholars, etc.)
-Undergrad Physics Lab Instructor
-Multiple years on Student Government working on Academic and Environmental Policy
-Multiple runner of Marathon races
-School sailing team member and instructor
-Retina Regeneration Research
-Multiple Scholarships and Awards for academic excellence
-Lots of volunteer and clinical experience (free clinics and such)

good chance but what's your reason for pursuing an mph degree? all the schools you listed are very different.

I would like to get into health policy thus an MPH would strengthen my background.

what do you write about in the essay? Is it just a personal statement?

have you thought about an mpp degree since you're trying to gain policy skills:thumbup:

Hi Friends, its an awesome community.

Im an IMG. I have e-submitted my application to Sophas.
WES has received my documents for evaluation yesterday.

How much time will it take for application to reach Tulane ??

I have applied Tulane MPH Tropical Medicine for Summer 2012. Toefl 115, Medical School completed 2011.

How tough is it to get into Tulane?? What are my chances ??

Thanx.

I submitted for the MSPH in Parasitology around Thanksgiving and received an acceptance email last Friday. It's in the same department, if that gives you any idea for a time frame.

Best of luck!

Hey everyone. I recently took an interest in the field of public health, so I'm basically applying last-minute. I'll be applying for Fall 2012.

Undergrad: Foreign university. Ranked within top 40 of the QS World University Rankings 2011/2012 (http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011). Known for grade deflation (almost everyone I know has told me this), and very competitive.
Major: BSc in Human Biology
cGPA: Currently a 3.51, working my a** off to raise it!
Revised GRE (taken in August 2011) scores: Verbal 159/170 (84%), Quantitative 159/170 (82%), Writing 4.5/6.0 (72%)

Currently taking Environmental Health and Environmental Pollution and Toxicology, both of which stimulated my interest in making an impact on the public to raise awareness. Also taking the most advanced Spanish course in the university (took 3 years of Spanish in high school, though I wouldn't consider myself fluent. I could get by, though). Have good command of Mandarin as well.

ECs: NO prior experience in public health. However, I have the following:
-10 months as research assistant on two projects (rice glutelin and sickle cell anemia) of major department
-8 months and counting as a research student for thesis project (required by our department) on stem cells
-11 months and counting as an English tutor
-2 years of social service via Leo Club (fundraising events such as cycling events, visiting the elderly in poor districts, giving a tour of city to other Leo members from different countries)
-1 year as an activity officer of an international student association (met many people of different cultures and worked well with them)
-1 year as a treasurer of the major club
-5 months and counting as a Relief volunteer at the Ronald McDonald house (taking care of severely ill children such as ones with leukemia and jaundice)

I realize that studying for an MPH requires knowledge in statistics, yet I've never taken a course in my life. I've taken a couple of Calculus courses, however, 4 years ago at a community college (probably forget a bunch of stuff though). I'm wondering how intense the courses are and what the students are like as well, since I don't know much about MPH degrees or know anyone currently pursuing one.

Does anyone know of any programs or schools who are still open for applications? I know most deadlines (December, January) have already passed so my choices are very limited now. I know George Washington University is still open, but I don't know much about that university, heh. :)

I am very interested in the MPH at Columbia U - Population & Family Health with the Sexuality and Health track. My interests focus is HIV prevention education.

My Stats:

* GPA: 3.07 from UW, 3.5 GPA last two years. Liberal arts degree. 3 study abroad programs.

* Fluent in Spanish.

* Still need to take the GREs.

* Experience: I worked at an LGBTQ Resource center for 2 years as a Community Programmer - coordinated many HIV programs (hiv testing etc.)

* 6 months of experience as a Spanish medical interpreter.

* I have been working at a Latino HIV prevention organization doing community outreach and leading an incentivized testing program.I have been here for 14 months and expecting to stay here for 2 whole years.

* I worked as a Disease Intervention Specialist for a CDC HIV behavior surveillance program (6 months)- I conducted interviews and rapid hiv testing and counseling with men who have sex with men.

* I am currently looking for new volunteer opportunities and hoping to move to Mexico City in the fall and conduct HIV prevention education work for a year.

I am not sure if I should apply this coming fall or wait and acquire at least another year of experience since my GPA is a bit low but I still want to go to a top school Advice?????

Schools interested in : Columbia U, Yale, UW, UC Berkeley, UCLA, GWU, BU, NYU, and Emory

Hi greenrain.

Your stats look impressive enough, particularly on the work experience (~5 years). I have limited experience in applying for schools in the US, but I have always been told that nearly all programs consider applicants as a whole individual, so it is likely that many factors will also be considered in your case (GPA, GRE scores, Letter(s) of Recommendation - LORs, Statement(s) of Purpose - SOPs, work experience, etc.).

I have no idea as to the extent that schools will consider an applicant's alma mater, but you went to one of the most selective schools in the Western US and your upper-division GPA is definitely impressive. If I were you, I would not worry too much about the GPA and I would apply this coming Fall.

My 2 advices for you (and these are very generic ones) are

1. Just like any other applicant, make sure you have solid GRE scores, LORs, SOPs, and resume as part of your application package.
2. Also pick a few "fair chance" and "safety" schools when you apply for the MPH.

----------------------------------------
I am applying for PhD programs in Epidemiology this coming Fall 2012 to begin in Fall 2013, so I am not sure about my relevance on this thread. Anyhow, for the sake of being a:thumbdown: (exotic, foreign) douche on Valentine's day, here goes...

My Stats
* About me: International applicant, from a lower-middle income country in Southeast Asia.
* I speak the national language (obviously), some English, and tiny bits of French, Spanish, and Bengali.
* Undergrad GPA: 3.27 (Biology)
* Grad (MS) GPA: 3.69 (Tropical Medicine)
* GRE (old format): 600 Verbal, 790 Quanti, 5.0 Writing
* Experience: will have around 3 years of experience as Epidemiology research assistant when I apply, including a 10-month stint overseas
* Publications: 5 international publications (1 as first author), 3 local publications (2 as first author).
* SOP: Something on the line of "my past research experiences are heterogeneous, but I am hoping to do a project on .....[depends on each school]....., which will be relevant to my interested area of global health and health equity"
* LOR: Probably from my bosses (university professors). I will also ask my former MS advisor for his valuable help.
* Schools of Interest: Vanderbilt, Rochester, UMD Baltimore, SUNY Buffalo, INSP (Mexico), Universidad Nacional de Córdoba (Argentina)

Any comment or advice on my chances??

Last edited:
My Stats
* About me: International applicant, from a lower-middle income country in Southeast Asia.
* I speak the national language (obviously), some English, and tiny bits of French, Spanish, and Bengali.
* Experience: will have around 3 years of experience as Epidemiology research assistant when I apply, including a 10-month stint overseas
* Publications: 5 international publications (1 as first author), 3 local publications (2 as first author).
* SOP: Something on the line of "my past research experiences are heterogeneous, but I am hoping to do a project on .....[depends on each school]....., which will be relevant to my interested area of global health and health equity"
* LOR: Probably from my bosses (university professors). I will also ask my former MS advisor for his valuable help.
* Schools of Interest: Vanderbilt, Emory, Georgetown, UI Chicago, UMD Baltimore, SUNY Buffalo

You speak "some" English? Had you not pointed this out, I would have had no idea that English is not your native language.

Your stats look fantastic to me, but I am not that familiar with PhD application requirements and what makes an applicant competitive. Hopefully someone else can give you feedback on that.

Good luck to both of you.

1. Just like any other applicant, make sure you have solid GRE scores, LORs, SOPs, and resume as part of your application package.
2. Also pick a few "fair chance" and "safety" schools when you apply for the MPH.

I applied for this round, but would just like to reiterate the two points made above. However, I would emphasize the 2nd piece of advice for a reason you may not realize. In addition to "safety schools", pick one or two that could give you heavy scholarships (e.g. Penn State). This will be crucial when negotiating with "top" schools, who may give limited aid at first.

You still have 8 or so months to strengthen your application. Volunteer at a non-profit or ask for research. Apply for competitive summer internships/fellowships that relate to your MPH department.

Lastly, don't stress too much. It truly is an exciting process. Good luck!

----------------------------------------
I am applying for PhD programs in Epidemiology this coming Fall 2012 to begin in Fall 2013, so I am not sure about my relevance on this thread. Anyhow, for the sake of being a:thumbdown: (exotic, foreign) douche on Valentine's day, here goes...

My Stats
* Schools of Interest: Vanderbilt, Emory, Georgetown, UI Chicago, UMD Baltimore, SUNY Buffalo

Hello, your experience is pretty impressive. Just make sure your SOP and LOR are solid and I'm sure you'll get in to a great program!

Thank you. I will keep your advice in mind. Good luck with the rest of your letters :)

Thank you. I will keep your advice in mind. Good luck with the rest of your letters :)

Thanks & good luck 2 u, too. BTW, since you speak fluent Spanish, are you also considering MPH programs in other countries (say...in Latin America)? Right now I'm trying to explore additional options, and would love to hear your 2 cents on the matter.

I will be applying to MPH and MSPH programs this fall.

I am a junior majoring in cellular and molecular biology with a double minor in chemistry and statistics.

GPA: 3.72
major GPA: 3.9
GRE: will be studying this summer to take this fall

Applied for internship doing research at Oak Ridge National Lab this summer. :luck:
Will have about 50 hours of shadowing several doctors.
Volunteer experience at regional hospital.
Research experience for microbiology professor on campus studying vectorborne disease.
Hopefully acquire a volunteer/internship at local health department...
In addition, I play intramurals at school and am involved in church volunteering (not sure if those will count for anything, worth mentioning anyway?)

I am very interested in several programs in infectious disease and environmental health MPH and MSPH programs, but I will be straight out of undergrad and even then I have relatively little experience compared to most everyone on here it seems. I'm counting on my decent GPA (which should be closer to 3.85 when I graduate) and my test scores (always been a good test taker) to get me in, but will that be enough?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks & good luck 2 u, too. BTW, since you speak fluent Spanish, are you also considering MPH programs in other countries (say...in Latin America)? Right now I'm trying to explore additional options, and would love to hear your 2 cents on the matter.

I have looked into Instituto Nacional de Salud Publica in Mexico and London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, but I'm primarily interested in working with communities of color in the U.S. I think getting my degree in the states might be a better option, but not completely sure. Regardless, I will be applying to both programs. What programs are you considering?

I have looked into Instituto Nacional de Salud Publica in Mexico and London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, but I'm primarily interested in working with communities of color in the U.S. I think getting my degree in the states might be a better option, but not completely sure. Regardless, I will be applying to both programs. What programs are you considering?

Hello again greenrain :)!
The thread between me and you is becoming like a private chat jajaja. So to make room for other users, I have sent the posting here to you by private message.

Last edited:
I will be applying to MPH and MSPH programs this fall.

I am a junior majoring in cellular and molecular biology with a double minor in chemistry and statistics.

GPA: 3.72
major GPA: 3.9
GRE: will be studying this summer to take this fall

Applied for internship doing research at Oak Ridge National Lab this summer. :luck:
Will have about 50 hours of shadowing several doctors.
Volunteer experience at regional hospital.
Research experience for microbiology professor on campus studying vectorborne disease.
Hopefully acquire a volunteer/internship at local health department...
In addition, I play intramurals at school and am involved in church volunteering (not sure if those will count for anything, worth mentioning anyway?)

I am very interested in several programs in infectious disease and environmental health MPH and MSPH programs, but I will be straight out of undergrad and even then I have relatively little experience compared to most everyone on here it seems. I'm counting on my decent GPA (which should be closer to 3.85 when I graduate) and my test scores (always been a good test taker) to get me in, but will that be enough?

Thanks in advance!

Your stats are very strong, IMO. It seems like MSPH/MSc would be more relevant given your background & prior research, and the traditionally research-oriented direction of those degrees (though there are certainly strong MPH programs in infectious disease research as well, e.g. UCB). Giving some insight into what you'd like to pursue in the future would make it easier to give more detailed advice.

Your stats are very strong, IMO. It seems like MSPH/MSc would be more relevant given your background & prior research, and the traditionally research-oriented direction of those degrees (though there are certainly strong MPH programs in infectious disease research as well, e.g. UCB). Giving some insight into what you'd like to pursue in the future would make it easier to give more detailed advice.

Thanks, I hope I do well on my GRE, like I said I'm banking on my grades to get me somewhere.

I am definitely interested in research, both environmental research, especially the relationship between environmental carcinogens and the development of cancer and neurodegenerative diseases. I am also interested in research in infectious disease and how they are affected by environmental factors.

My goal(s) are to eventually do research and (hopefully) implement a plan regarding the use of certain chemicals/toxins in the environment in regards to health. (I live about an hour away from Oak Ridge, TN and there are quite a few studies going on about the radiation and high cancer rates). I also am interested in the bioterrorism side of the equation, with the chemical and biological agents.

I have researched several programs, though not as thoroughly as I should, but the ones I have come across as ones that cater to my interests are UNC, Tulane, UAB, Columbia, Yale, Pittsburgh, and UMN. If anyone has any advice or recommendations on any of these programs, or anything in general, I'd love to hear it.

Also, I understand that the MSPH is designed more for research, so with my brief description of goals, would it be useless for me to pursue anything but an MSPH, or would an MPH suffice?

What are everyone's reasons for deferring? And what has been the reaction of schools to which you've applied and been accepted?

Also, I understand that the MSPH is designed more for research, so with my brief description of goals, would it be useless for me to pursue anything but an MSPH, or would an MPH suffice?

Well, I work in an academic/research setting overseas, but I've met grad students from all academic backgrounds (MD, MS in Nursing, MS, MSPH, MPH) and all of them performed equally brilliantly when they were doing their Epidemiology PhD thesis research.

As an MS (Tropical Medicine, Epidemiology tract) holder, one of my regrets is that it is harder for me to apply for civil service position, especially when the master's degree is only recognized as a science degree in tropical medicine and not public health or epidemiology (which would be the case for MPH holders). This may not be the case for the US, though. Just my 2 satang / poisha / cents.

What are everyone's reasons for deferring? And what has been the reaction of schools to which you've applied and been accepted?

I was applying for grad school, then I took an arrow in the knee :D

Also, my boss asked me whether I wanted to do a research stint overseas and defer grad school app for another 2 years. Figuring that this would make my application looked more interesting, I said yes.

Last edited:
cGPA: 3.45
sGPA: 3.5
gGPA: 4.0 (only a few classes)

GRE: Not yet taken, not a great standardized tester.

B.S. in Neuroscience

3 years as a Clinical Research Coordinator

2 presentations (first author) at international conference
1 publication (first author)
2 pending publications (not first author)

Applying:
Harvard (SM in Epi, Concentration in Epi of Aging)
Columbia (MPH in Epi or Health Management)
BU (MPH in Epi or Health Management)
Yale (MPH in Epi or Health Management)

Could anyone comment on my school list and chances there?

Also, what would be a competitive GRE score with my stats for these programs?

Thank you

I got into good programs(Emory, Columbia) etc but I'm thinking of deferring and spending a year I my home country. I need to look for scholarships because my accepted schools didn't give me any aid.

Does anyone know anywhere to seek external scholarship from?
Ps: I'm a West African female.

Just a question regarding my chances at getting an offer from a top school like Harvard or Johns Hopkins for an MPH program. Ideally, I'd like Harvard for their management/policy stream. Any info/tips you can provide would be great. Thanks!

STATS:

Education: Currently doing an MD and a PhD in Biomedical Engineering

Work: Have supervised undergrads in research, worked for a city public health unit previously, numerous PhD scholarships, most of which are nationally recognized.

Research: Will have 8-10 first author publications when done the MD/PhD, a couple other second/third/etc author papers, and a bunch of abstracts. Also have completed 7 research reports for a public health department, and a few research reports for industry.

GPA: B.Sc. - 3.45 (2.0 first year, then 3.74, 3.90, 3,93; best 2 years=3.91)
Ph.D. - 4.0 (12 courses total)

MCAT: 35Q (12/10/Q/13)

I'll probably do residency first but wanted to see where I'm at as I've only recently considered the MPH as an option, and the HSPH program really stood out to me. Do I have a shot?

I'm a Peace Corps volunteer, and I got an opportunity to work with my organization on a new reproductive health program and participate in its implementation and M&E. So I'm extending for a year because I couldn't pass up the chance to be a part of the project and get some more work experience in exactly the kind of work I wanna be doing.

I deferred from Emory, and they encouraged me to update them next year so I can be considered for merit awards then.

Hello All,

I am in the midst of a career change and need advice on my future steps.
My background is as follows

I have a B.S. in biotechnology from India.I graduated in 2007 and worked for a year as a project engineer in a fortune 500 software firm. I completed my masters degree in bioinformatics from a prestigious public research university. While pursuing my master's degree, I worked as a graduate research assistant and also held a part time job as a statistics programmer for a semester.

Upon graduation in 2010, I worked for one year as a bioinformatics analyst at an ivy league and later for seven months at a prestigious research institute in California.I have a couple of papers in my name.not first author though.

gre scores: Q-800,V-700,AWA-5
undergrad gpa-3.6
master's gpa-3.75

My intial goal was to do a phd but after working realized that research, for a variety of reasons, is not what I want to do .I quit my job in january to take a break and figure out what to do next. I researched online for a month and came to a conclusion that M.H.A would be perfect for me as I still want to be associated with healthcare.I also believe I can make a significant contribution to healthcare management with my background in IT, genomics, translational science etc.

I don't have a background in accounting or hospital administration.Should I volunteer in a hospital? Also, should I take accounting courses to make my application more competitive. I don't have leadership experience at all,considering that I have spent a lot of time in research,will that look bad in my resume ? I am planning to apply for fall 2013.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks a lot,
Joji.

Hi guys, I'm going to join the bandwagon and ask for opinions on whether I'm likely to get in... anywhere... hah. I'm pretty sure I'm not a competitive candidate, but it's worth asking.

I graduated from a good public university with a BA in Literature/Creative Writing (yeah, I know), and minors in Spanish and Russian.

GPA of 3.65.

GRE scores: 160 verbal (apparently 610 in old test), 150 quantitative (630 old), and 4.0 in writing.

Speak/will speak 6 languages by the time I go: English, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Arabic, American Sign Language.

Will have 5 years of experience teaching English abroad, including two as a Peace Corps volunteer.

I don't have any experience in public health, although I'm hoping to volunteer with Operation Smile when they do their next mission here (I'm in the Peace Corps at the moment).

Also, all of my recommendations would be professional, non-academic and non-research. I'll have been out of school for over five years, so, no choice really.

I don't have much health, science, or psychology work in my BA, but I'm considering doing a couple of introductory online courses through a community college.

I'm pretty sure I'm screwed, but hey, maybe you guys know something I don't? Of course I have the option to come back and work/get experience for a year before applying, but I'd rather start as soon as possible post-Peace Corps.

Thank you!

Looks like we have a backlog, I'll give my opinion on the more recent 2013 MPH applicants:

@gumbyj: You've got a shot at getting into the schools you list because of your strong research experience, the only minor strike would be the average GPA. The publications are always a great thing to show on an application. There are threads on here with advice on taking the GRE that will help you improve (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=850027&highlight=GRE), so don't get too bogged down on the standardized testing. Some schools weigh them heavily, some schools basically just use them as initial screening. Your time will be better spent on your statement of purpose.

@MSK BME: So long as you can articulate clearly what the benefit of an MPH in HPM will be given your focus on biomedical engineering, you look like a good candidate. Your credentials are strong.

@claritaosita: your undergraduate major won't be a hindrance in your application. Many people (myself included) applied from non-science/health backgrounds and were still able to be admitted to our top choices. You'll find quite a few applicants have Peace Corps backgrounds, and some schools have great representation (e.g. Emory). Your GPA/GRE aren't red flags, and your work experience seems very interesting. Crafting that strong statement of purpose for why you want to do public health given your background looks like the only thing that you'll have to work on. Chin up! IMO you come off as a competitive applicant.