The American Board of Certification In Medical Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carbs99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone who is familiar with The American Board of Certification In Medical Optometry tell me a little bit more about it? I couldn't really find out much oh their site ---> http://www.abcmo.org/

If an OD holds this certification, in what ways can they benefit from it?

Sorry for being clueless, I do not mean to offend anyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Quite honestly, it means absolutely nothing--- Just as being a member of the AOA, Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry, or the fake board certification that has been started. None of this will help you make one penny more in income or give you a better job opportunity. The public doesn't care, employers don't care and your colleagues don't care. Sad but true. Optometrists really have no way of moving upward in the profession other than owning their own practice and milking every patient for all they've got.

What if I don't want to move up and will be happy with just being an O.D.? I heard somewhere that having an ABCMO certification makes it easier to get a job in a hospital as an Optometrist. Not sure though so correct me if I'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are no hospital jobs for Optometrists. If you are in a very rural area (ie. No Ophthalmologists), a few ODs have managed to get 'hospital privileges' which means they might get called in the middle of the night or Sunday afternoon to go in and see a red eye patient (and bill it on your own = $70 or so). But other than that, you won't set foot in a hospital unless you are a patient.

There are no hospital jobs for Optometrists. If you are in a very rural area (ie. No Ophthalmologists), a few ODs have managed to get 'hospital privileges' which means they might get called in the middle of the night or Sunday afternoon to go in and see a red eye patient (and bill it on your own = $70 or so). But other than that, you won't set foot in a hospital unless you are a patient.

With the exception of VA hospitals.

You would know better than me, I just want to clarify for the OP that it is possible to work in a hospital as an Optometrist.

Well, this just isn't true.
There are Veteran's Affairs hospitals, Indian Health Services clinics, Military (Air Force/Navy/Army) bases, along with large health care facilities (Kaiser) that hire ODs.
It's probably ~5-10% of the workforce.
It is, however, nearly impossible to land a position there without: SERIOUS networking, residency experience, many years of clinical experience, and being multi-lingual.
I don't think the ABCMO status would be that helpful.

ODs also work in some metropolitan children's hospitals. One I know even has an optometrist as their head of primary eye care. I've met that guy, and he has quite the CV, I'm not sure if he had ABCMO, but it wouldn't surprise me, he has ABO. Granted it's mostly to screen kids to see if they're candidates for strab surgery, but still

I also know ODs working at med school teaching hospitals in metropolitan areas, the majority of which have ABO.

Oh and ABO does matter to some employers. Including some private practitioners. The field is changing a lot. I know some private practitioners that are only interested in hiring residency trained associates, which isn't too hard to do these days with so many new grads doing them.

Any new grad wanting to get a VA job will have to at least have passed the ACMO (advanced competency in medical optometry).

I'd just like to add that this is the most negative forum I've seen in a while. Every post is filled with people beating up the OP and talking about what a terrible field everyone went into. Most ODs are actually satisfied with their profession, contrary to the majority of people posting on this particular site.

Last edited:
What if I don't want to move up and will be happy with just being an O.D.?

Don't you know you're not supposed to be happy being an OD on this website? Take that positive attitude over to the dental forum where it belongs! (sarcasm)

I'd just like to add that this is the most negative forum I've seen in a while. Every post is filled with people beating up the OP and talking about what a terrible field everyone went into. Most ODs are actually satisfied with their profession, contrary to the majority of people posting on this particular site.

This.

Reactions: 1 user
A bit late to the fun, but as a VA optometrist providing on call services at our VA hospital at 1:30 AM a couple of days back while seeing someone on the floor as an inpatient, I must wholeheartedly disagree that optometry does not have a hospital presence. Or an ER presence. Prior to the VA I did 23 years of private practice as a solo practictioner with an occasional associate. I respect those doctors whom have gone and acquired additional credentials, but I have had years of practice experience working with doctors equally competent that have not done any of these nor or board certified. My view of Board Certification is simply are we asking the doctor to have a higher level of competency through skills gained outside normal optometric practice versus just a rehash of prior attempts at giving one doctor a paid for leverage using their "board certification " to distance themselves from other practictioners. I do not have a Residency, ABO certification or a Fellowship. My credentials prior to working at the VA were simply BS, OD and a Honorable Discharge from the USA while serving as an NCO. Sorry to refute several of the general inquiries and misconceptions in this thread. Residencies are an important part of this profession. When comparing those young doctors in the residency program that I have been involved in as an attending doctor, I have concluded that practical experience from providing general optometry in a smaller community has many of the same attributes in making it an equal learning enviroment. Many of these doctors gain little from adding any of the credentials we are discussing as a means of enhancing their standing in the community they serve. Nothing like being miles away from your friendly ophthalmologist and having to think on how best to treat the patient in your exam chair on Friday night with acute NAG whom cannot travel due to lack of transportation. We have a wonderful profession. Attitude is essential in any profession. If you choose optometry to get rich then be ready to face an uncertain future. A new doctor will successful in optometry by being the best eye care provider possible in whatever choice of practice setting that makes them happy. In your career you'll enjoy outstanding work hours, great standard of living and be given the ability to freely determine your own future by working smarter not harder. Always be ready to educate yourself on new trends, equipment, materials and services. I enjoyed being a trendsetter by utilizing the latest instrumentation and ophthalmic materials that gave my patients a great eye care experience...... but as I quickly learned that came by serving THEIR needs.