The Anti-Gunner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackson1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just a random story I thought was interesting about a girl I work with. I was talking about applying to med school and this was how our conversation went:

Her: "Oh cool! I'm going to Albany Med next year"
Another employee: "wow, what's your gpa?"
Her: "A 4.0"
Me: "What's your mcat if you don't mind me asking?"
Her: "hmm I actually never checked, how do you find out?"

So, I told her how to find her score and she comes in the next day and told me she got a 36! When I told her how good that was she seemed surprised haha. She told me she'd only applied to 3 schools, didn't go to her interview at NYU because she decided she didn't want to live in the city, and chose albany over boston university just because. It was kind of refreshing to see how casual this girl was about the whole process compared with how great her stats were! An SDNer with those stats would probably be trying to get in to harvard, hopkins, etc. Just thought I'd share:)

Members don't see this ad.

the only thing i get out of this story is that you and the other employee r d-bag gunners.... how is the first thing coming out of your mouths "what is your GPA/MCAT" rather than "congratulations"!?

not to mention asking anyone about their stats is very rude...i wouldn't even ask my closest friends something like that upfront. this girl seems to be really nice (or she's lying to you because she also feels you are a d-bag) because i definitely wouldn't have told u my stats...not that there's anything wrong with them but there certainly seems to be something wrong with you and your coworker.

Members don't see this ad :)
That story doesnt seem believeable....who the hell doesnt even know their mcat scores...among other things. Anyways who the **** asks what are your stats....i agree with the other person who said they dont even ask their friends. Not once would i even ask my best friend her stats...whats the point. How fail is that anyways

That story doesnt seem believeable....who the hell doesnt even know their mcat scores...among other things. Anyways who the **** asks what are your stats....i agree with the other person who said they dont even ask their friends. Not once would i even ask my best friend her stats...whats the point. How fail is that anyways

It's been too long since I filled out AMCAS so I don't remember...could you even make it through the process of filling out your app without seeing/knowing your score?

It's been too long since I filled out AMCAS so I don't remember...could you even make it through the process of filling out your app without seeing/knowing your score?

Not unless you took it after you submit it and never looked at it again.

Yeah, I don't buy it. I was about as clueless as it gets when applying, and I at least knew what my score was. I didn't know what it meant, but I knew what it was. Anyone anal enough to pull a 4.0 would be supremely interested in his/her MCAT score.

the only thing i get out of this story is that you and the other employee r d-bag gunners.... how is the first thing coming out of your mouths "what is your GPA/MCAT" rather than "congratulations"!?

not to mention asking anyone about their stats is very rude...i wouldn't even ask my closest friends something like that upfront. this girl seems to be really nice (or she's lying to you because she also feels you are a d-bag) because i definitely wouldn't have told u my stats...not that there's anything wrong with them but there certainly seems to be something wrong with you and your coworker.

:laugh: so true... couldn't have said it better...

Yea. That sounds a bit odd to me. I was far form a neurotic premed. I didn't even know what my bcmp gpa was. I just approximated in my head. I still new what my MCAT was.

OP, You have been dealt an e-*****whipping. I don't see the big deal though. I don't give a damn if someone asks me about my scores. Maybe that is just me though. I have not been hanging out with gunnerific douches.

If this story is true though and that girl can accomplish so much when she doesn't give a crap, then imagine what she could do if she did give a crap. Maybe medschool was a whim for her so she did not really care if she got in????

wow you guys are really harsh and not taking this story the way i intended! First of all, of course we said congratulations before the other employee asked for her gpa. The girl who asked about her gpa is probably never going to finish college and will be working at the restaurant I work at for the rest of her life so I'm sure she was just impressed that she got in to med school and wanted to know what sort of gpa that takes. Since she didn't seem to mind sharing her gpa at all, I was just curious what her mcat was since albany is one of the schools on my list and I have a gpa fairly close to hers. If she hadn't wanted to share I would have been completely fine with it. Maybe you and your friends are different, but other pre-meds always ask me what my mcat score is and I never mind sharing. Now whether or not she knew her mcat score or whether she's lying are different matters, but I don't think it's fair to call me a d-bag for asking someone what their mcat score is because I can assure you that I'm not.

Members don't see this ad :)

Don't be so quick to judge. Given that these criteria are essential to choosing a romantic partner, I always screen people out by asking this before the first date.

To the OP: I actually think the story is legit, but if so, it seems like the girl is not too excited about applying to med school and it's just another thing she's looking at (perhaps along with law school, grad schools, etc.). If you have a 4.0 and make a 36 on the MCAT, chances are that you know what you got on the MCAT.

Step #9 for the AMCAS is "Standardized Tests"

Unless she had her mother do it, or has some sort of memory problems, she must have seen it at that point...

This story is not believable whatsoever...

Unless she had her mother do it, or has some sort of memory problems, she must have seen it at that point...

You can submit your AMCAS app before you get your MCAT scores. Thus she could have completed it without seeing her scores.

You have to click on the link to the right that says "MCAT Scores" to actually see the scores, so perhaps she's lacking in common sense and never clicked the link.

So you wouldn't ask a friend about her/his stats? why is it rude? you are friends, or you just call each other friends without meaning it?

I, personally, didn't have many other pre-med friends in college. If you lurk on SDN, its more than enough to find all the info you need about the application process. Figuring that I would spend the rest of my life around healthcare professionals, I decided that I would diversify my group of friends in college. So rarely did I ever ask someone for their stats.

So you wouldn't ask a friend about her/his stats? why is it rude? you are friends, or you just call each other friends without meaning it?

I personally am pretty open with it with my friends, but I agree that there is a bit of rudeness in asking for MCAT scores. With friends it doesn't bug me, but when its just some random person, it is a little invasive. For one, the MCAT is often considered the end off of your applicant. Not only do a lot of people treat it like an IQ test, but basically what your score is often causes people to put you in the "good applicant/bad applicant" pile. Usually the people that ask me for my score have yet to go through the app cycle, while most people who have don't ask.

Don't be so quick to judge. Given that these criteria are essential to choosing a romantic partner, I always screen people out by asking this before the first date.

To the OP: I actually think the story is legit, but if so, it seems like the girl is not too excited about applying to med school and it's just another thing she's looking at (perhaps along with law school, grad schools, etc.). If you have a 4.0 and make a 36 on the MCAT, chances are that you know what you got on the MCAT.
:laugh:. Im going to start doing that before every date...they have to met my pre set cutoffs or they will be screened before i ask them out :smuggrin:

so you think the true sign of friendship is knowing someone's MCAT score?

life doesn't revolve around stats and GPAs and bullsh*t like that....if someone wants to share their stats...by all means go ahead, and i'll probably tell you mine but some people might be uncomfortable sharing such things and by asking you put them in an awkward position. many times i've talked to people about med school apps etc without talking about stats. also being the one to share your stats first in a conversation, especially if they are good, is also rude and can be easily taken as showing off.

its unfortunate how socially inept some SDNers are....life isn't an annonymous internet forum

life doesn't revolve around stats and GPAs and bullsh*t like that....if someone wants to share their stats...by all means go ahead, and i'll probably tell you mine but some people might be uncomfortable sharing such things and by asking you put them in an awkward position. many times i've talked to people about med school apps etc without talking about stats. also being the one to share your stats first in a conversation, especially if they are good, is also rude and can be easily taken as showing off.

its unfortunate how socially inept some SDNers are....life isn't an annonymous internet forum
Not at all. I only choose friends who have taken the MCAT. In addition, anyone who wants to become my friend has to take the MCAT in order to measure their ability to succeed in my friendship program. A strong GPA, excellent LOR from current friends and EC that are like my own are also required.

And let's not forget the interview.

No, it's not knowing about MCAT or any other tests. But sharing with and knowing your friends what they go through and other private things. This is called friendship. But you probably don't have real friends that you are comfortable sharing such info with.

I'm from another country, and a friend is like part of the family, here in the US so many call each other friends, when they really not. That's the problem. We call them acquantances

Last edited:
No, it's not knowing about MCAT or any other tests. But sharing with and knowing your friends what they go through and other private things. This is called friendship. But you probably don't have real friends that you are comfortable sharing such info.

:thumbup:

No, it's not knowing about MCAT or any other tests. But sharing with and knowing your friends what they go through and other private things. This is called friendship. But you probably don't have real friends that you are comfortable sharing such info.
oh SNAP. oh no you di'int!

Man, I would even get disappointed/mad if my FRIEND does not call me after finding out his score, since it would be like getting my own score. I would be happy or sad about the score as my friend would be

No, it's not knowing about MCAT or any other tests. But sharing with and knowing your friends what they go through and other private things. This is called friendship. But you probably don't have real friends that you are comfortable sharing such info with.

I'm from another country, and a friend is like part of the family, here in the US everyone calls everybody a friend, when they really not. That's the problem. We call them acquantances

i'm quite sure my own brother doesn't remember what i got on the MCAT

i'm not saying u should guard your stats like a state secret...if it comes up i am more than willing to share my stats with my friends but the point was that you shouldn't ask because it's rude and awkward. i have shared things that are alot more important than my MCAT score with my friends. also the vast majority of my friends aren't premed and those who i've mentioned my MCAT score to i'm sure don't remember it because it doesn't matter at all and means nothing to people who haven't taken it. my employer/mentor once asked me what i got on the mcat (that's not rude because he's already a doctor and was writing me a rec), i told him and he had no idea what it meant.

also keep in mind that i'm an adult and took the MCAT 3 years ago. i know it's hard to believe but there are more interesting things to talk about 3 years after you take the MCAT and 2 years after you graduate college than your MCAT score and GPA.

if you don't like the way friendships are in america you're free to leave :rolleyes:

if you don't like the way friendships are in america you're free to leave :rolleyes:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

True friendship is the same everywhere. As I said friends are called friends, but people you are not comfortable sharing info or think they will judge you are not your friends, they are just acquatances, may even happen to be gunners wishing you to fail. Friends like family would not have those feeling.

Of course people who are not into medicine may not understand MCAT and other things, but as REAL friends they would like to know if you are happy or sad so they can share your joy or sadness with you.

Also, I did not say that true sign of friendship is knowing MCAT score, that is a pretty childish comment for an adult. I said that asking a FRIEND about his score should not make me rude or him defensinve

Last edited:
Im getting a tattoo of my GPA (in both cGPA and BCPM form) and my MCAT scores. Its going to be sweet:smuggrin:. Then my friends will always know how i awesome I am, no more awkward conversations about sharing grades and scores.

Man, I would even get disappointed/mad if my FRIEND does not call me after finding out his score, since it would be like getting my own score. I would be happy or sad about the score as my friend would be
I would lie and say my computer exploded

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

True friendship is the same everywhere. As I said friends are called friends, but people you are not comfortable sharing info or think they will judge you are not your friends, they are just acquatances, may even happen to be gunners wishing you to fail. Friends like family would not have those feeling.

Of course people who are not into medicine may not understand MCAT and other things, but as REAL friends they would like to know if you are happy or sad so they can share your joy or sadness with you.

Also, I did not say that true sign of friendship is knowing MCAT score, that is a pretty childish comment for an adult. I said that asking a FRIEND about his score should not make me rude or him defensinve

Well, then, FINE friend. I got a 35Q, happy?:mad:

To the OP: That girl might or might not lie about her stats, but to the end it's her business, not yours, so please do not bring that issue here to discuss. Stick your nose into the others' businesses is bad and unprofessional.

Lastly, with 4.0/36 you think HMS will accept that. Think again.

Last edited:
So one is ok to run to 'friends' for help, but not ok and considers it to be rude when 'friends' ask about stats? weird frienship.

Last edited:
Americans are very private and secretive by nature. Asking anyone anything of personal nature, even as a friend, is looked upon skeptically. People are very private about anything that they put their effort and time into. Be that salary, weight, grades, principles...most just don't want to share it. It's a shame actually, it provides a lot of opportunity for growth.

Americans are very private and secretive by nature. Asking anyone anything of personal nature, even as a friend, is looked upon skeptically. People are very private about anything that they put their effort and time into. Be that salary, weight, grades, principles...most just don't want to share it. It's a shame actually, it provides a lot of opportunity for growth.

I noticed that too. Too some degree I like it, but when it comes to close to me people, it would be weird not to share stuff.

Hey guys, just a random story I thought was interesting about a girl I work with. I was talking about applying to med school and this was how our conversation went:

Her: "Oh cool! I'm going to Albany Med next year"
Another employee: "wow, what's your gpa?"
Her: "A 4.0"
Me: "What's your mcat if you don't mind me asking?"
Her: "hmm I actually never checked, how do you find out?"

So, I told her how to find her score and she comes in the next day and told me she got a 36! When I told her how good that was she seemed surprised haha. She told me she'd only applied to 3 schools, didn't go to her interview at NYU because she decided she didn't want to live in the city, and chose albany over boston university just because. It was kind of refreshing to see how casual this girl was about the whole process compared with how great her stats were! An SDNer with those stats would probably be trying to get in to harvard, hopkins, etc. Just thought I'd share:)

sigh
:yawn:

An SDNer with those stats would probably be trying to get in to harvard, hopkins, etc. Just thought I'd share:)

Nope. Granted, I tried for Hopkins on my last app, but that's just because I wanted to see if I could get in (I didn't, obviously), not because I was dying to go.

You know, I had to volunteer all day when my MCAT score came out, so I gave my username and p/w to my boyfriend at the time, and asked him to check it for me. By the time I finished volunteering, I had three texts congratulating me on such a good score, and I didn't even know what my score was yet.

People are. Not just americans. In fact, most americans I know divulge way too much information for stuff I don't want to hear. Talking about your salary and grades is not an opportunity for growth. I have no idea what kind of growth you get from that. These were conversations that I NEVER had with anyone during my stent in europe. Why do grades and salary matter? Modesty is a much greater attribute. If you waste your time talking about that then you the real opportunity to reflect and grow is lost. Trust me, if you go up and ask even a German woman how much they weigh, they are going to shy away from the question.

People are. Not just americans. In fact, most americans I know divulge way too much information for stuff I don't want to hear. Talking about your salary and grades is not an opportunity for growth. I have no idea what kind of growth you get from that. These were conversations that I NEVER had with anyone during my stent in europe. Why do grades and salary matter? Modesty is a much greater attribute. If you waste your time talking about that then you the real opportunity to reflect and grow is lost. Trust me, if you go up and ask even a German woman how much they weigh, they are going to shy away from the question.
Truthfully, a lot of places look down/punish people who disclose information like that. Where I am, people can get into a LOT of trouble talking about their salaries. So, excuse me if I don't feel obligated to tell other personal information like my MCAT score. even though i do:laugh: