The Berkeley Review for physical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lynwyn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone can comment on why TBR is highly recommended for Gen Chem and Physics? I'm preparing to retake and PS was my worst score so I'm really hoping to improve mainly that score. Just wondering what are the aspects of the TBR Gen Chem/ Physics books that most found helpful?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I used TBR last summer. they're by far the best bc their questions are difficult and will prepare u the best for what u'll see on test day

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on why TBR is highly recommended for Gen Chem and Physics? I'm preparing to retake and PS was my worst score so I'm really hoping to improve mainly that score. Just wondering what are the aspects of the TBR Gen Chem/ Physics books that most found helpful?

Thanks!

TBR has so many questions which is exactly what you need to learn physics and chemistry, so I think that is why they are best. Also, they put in more math than you will probably have to use on the real exam, which is a good thing. If you're like I was after college physics and chemistry, you probably forgot how to add without your calculator. The hard practice can make many of the MCAT questions seem easy in comparison.

Thanks!

The way I see it, its so easy to say 'I understand that' and move on. TBR has in chapter questions that come up directly after a new concept is introduced to test whether or not you really DO understand, and the questions are presented in a way where logic can usually knock out one or two answers, and content knowledge will solve the rest. This is a highly desirable skill to be practiced because quick logic is necessary to move through the MCAT passages and finish on time. By doing this in all eight of their books, TBR makes sure your 'logic muscle' is well exercised by the time you take your MCAT. I think this is something that is really missing in EK, which does present discretes every few pages, but they mostly test content knowledge, not logical removal of wrong answer choices.

Plus, a lot of passage practice after every chapter that's very relevant. I've read a lot of comments from people on here after their MCATs saying how much some of the passages reminded them of TBR passages they had already did, meaning they had already made and most likely corrected the mistakes that they could have potentially made on their real MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pros of TBR PS:
-quick use formulas they made up that make MCAT math ridiculously fast
-great refresher style explanations of many topics
-unique ways of seeing problems that clarify obscure topics quickly
-very well thought out practice passages
-very organized chapters that help you focus and study well

Cons of TBR PS
-many typos(rarely are these typos bad enough that you get false information though, but make sure the answer for each question makes sense because there are some mistakes in the answers the writers choose)
-practice passages are sort of in MCAT format, but often you will have a passage on one side of a page and the questions on the other so you can't see the passage while you answer the questions

Neither a pro nor a con
-goes beyond what is needed sometimes(not nearly as much as their BS books though). This is nice for background information, but if you don't check what they offer against topic lists, you may find yourself burning lots of study time on complicated things that you don't actually need to know.

Overall, I think TBR PS+EK 1001+KhanAcademy+Brightstorm http://www.youtube.com/user/brightstorm2/videos
is an unbeatable combination for PS success.

TBR is the best at making you think MCAT. They are overly detailed sometimes, but I will say on my MCAT there was a passage everyone was complaining about how impossible it was. Although there was nothing that covered that topic in TBR, they did teach me how to dissect a passage that I knew nothing about and apply basic scientific intuition. I love TBR for chemistry, physics(The new edition), and O.Chem. IF you are really strong in O.Chem, than consider TPRH or EK.