The Best Pandora Study Stations...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NightOwly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so hour after hour passes and there you are, in a 3 month self-imposed solitary confinement studying...
and... *crickets* :yawn: ...the silence is deafening so you turn on a Pandora station. What will be it be?

A search recommended to try the "Sufjan Stevens" station... Pretty good. Soothing and not distracting.

:prof: Any other you'd recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

E.S. Posthumous or Escala. Definitely more of the epic genre and I don't listen a lot when i am really trying to focus, but it gets me motivated.

Thnx! I like it =D

Meh. I go through waves and phases.

If I have to read the same sentence a couple times I know it's time to spice things up, so I may turn Pandora On (or Off) or go to a new quiet room. The hours are looooong, but we must stick with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a bit of a bore but I usually go with Classical Music Medley. I like non-lyric based music that I don't think about. :luck:

Classical piano when I need to focus.

Quick mix of Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, AC\DC, and individual song radio stations for Bad Company by FFDP and Stranglehold by Ted Nugent. (Every other time)

I like Ulrich Schnauss for background stimulation during reading. No words, just electronic-y peaceful stuff. :) Kinda soothing, but not boring or distracting like classical music.

For problem sets where I don't mind a few words sprinkled into the songs, I listen to the Hotel Costes series by Stéphane Pompougnac. He helped me get an A in physics last semester (listened to the Hôtel Costes: Quatre album, specifically), lol. :thumbup:

I find trance helpful. NOTE: THIS IS NOT HOUSE MUSIC. Trance sets are a few songs to several hours long, and the tracks blend/transition into each other seamlessly - you can be listening to a track and as you study, you will find yourself 3 hours later, with the music having blended into the background. Also, trance does not have lyrics / vocals, so no words to distract you either.

I tend to work faster/more rapid with the higher tempo trance sets - a good set (the one I have been listening to the most lately,) is Armin Van Buuren's "A State of Trance: 2011"

Also, alot of the eastern European Electronica is pretty good, but lyrics/words may distract you if you understand what is being said.

............I listen to the Hotel Costes series by Stéphane Pompougnac

Discovered the Hotel Costes series at work recently - great stuff.....especially KissKiss.

Acoustic Alchemy and Gotan Project are also great to study to.

I agree with everyone that no words, no lyrics music is best for studying.

But it should not be snooze inducing ...it helps if they're UPBEAT super chill.

On top of the suggestions above, I also made these upbeat, chilled out, instrumental stations:

Mellow Electronic
Tycho Pandora Radio Station, really mellow electronic music.

PIANO
Pachabel Meets U2 Radio station that plays artists like David Tolk and Yiruma
Myleene Klass British pianist.
Philip Glass - Contemporary composer ...piano

JAZZ
Koop. An electronic jazz band from Sweden

CELLO
2Cellos Radio Station -acoustic rock instrumentation, string ensemble.

I haven't found a good Pandora study station yet, but I plan to try some of the suggestions on here. For instrumental study music, I like Rodrigo y Gabriela.

Classical music, light jazz, or something easy like The Eagles or Cream. Occasionally throw in Stevie Wonder to get a little dancing in while you study.

Members don't see this ad :)
I find trance helpful. NOTE: THIS IS NOT HOUSE MUSIC. Trance sets are a few songs to several hours long, and the tracks blend/transition into each other seamlessly - you can be listening to a track and as you study, you will find yourself 3 hours later, with the music having blended into the background. Also, trance does not have lyrics / vocals, so no words to distract you either.

I tend to work faster/more rapid with the higher tempo trance sets - a good set (the one I have been listening to the most lately,) is Armin Van Buuren's "A State of Trance: 2011"

Also, alot of the eastern European Electronica is pretty good, but lyrics/words may distract you if you understand what is being said.

Are you talking like biaural beats?

I like Mt Eden dnb. I didn't even know they had a Pandora station until I just checked. I usually listen to music only when I'm working problems though. If I try listening to music while reading, I find it hard to pay attention to what I'm reading

https://mustelid.physiol.ox.ac.uk/drupal/?q=node/59

When I said "blend in the background," I was speaking metaphorically lol - but that's pretty effing cool. Screws with my head....I wouldn't be able to study with that sound clip (or anything of the like,) playing in the background ha.

Haha, yeah. I fell asleep meditating one night with my ear buds in. I felt nauseated for about 24 hours after that. I guess there are beats that are supposed to help with studying. Crazy stuff, indeed.

Justice, Drum & Bass, Slow Train Soul, Tito Puente, Goldfrapp/Morcheeba (sorta the same thing to me), and Benny Benassi stations get the heaviest rotation when I'm in study mode.

I use my favorite movie score composers. The three that turned into the best Pandora stations are Thomas Newman, Clint Mansell and Ramin Djwadi. Hans Zimmer comes in as a close fourth.

i personally perfer Ed Gerhard

given the fact i have met him...and he resides in the town next to me

You absolutely must try Fariborz Lachini ... amazing !!!!
Mind stimulating

mozart, flying Lotus, baths, brian eno

I love listening to Yiruma (classical pianist). Calms me and helps me concentrate!

Porter Robinson if it's math related. I can't read while listening to music though.