The best sdn anesthesia post, ever. From, of course, zip.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
graduating CA-3s gotta read this.

i'm on call tonight and then out of the hospital for good. don't know if it is as possible to be as badass as zip though. :cool:

:highfive:

Me too. Totally was going to bump this sometime today, but OB has been stroking my ass all day.

Here's my version:

"...Got to the house. Made coffee, reassured wife we're still on schedule. Went to the realtor to sign POA papers for pending house closing (I hope 'cause this market SUCKS!). Got a fresh haircut 'cause I don't like finding a new place the first week in a new town. Picked up the rental truck, paid a couple dudes $400 to load it, reassured the wife we're still on schedule. Loaded the kids in the wife's car, I'm driving the moving truck. Made sure all the utilities were transfered over with a forwarding address a week ago. Hell, even updated my address for my journals because I don't want to miss a month. Bert done left a trail of pending real estate deals in his wake! Roll the caravan on out at 1700 with floorboard boom box playin' "Today", and a map of all the Starbucks between me and my destination in case I need a bump. Thank goodness the truck isn't safe for my kid's car seats, so my wife is stuck with them in her VW. I'll be hearing about it tonight, though, when she retells all the crying and moaning and screaming that made her drive a living hell. I've got 5 more hrs tomorrow to my final destination, where I get to unload this 26' beast into our new rental with my father-in-law. Ole Cannonball Run didn't have a thing on us that night... Regards, ---Bert

Me too. Totally was going to bump this sometime today, but OB has been stroking my ass all day.

Here's my version:

"...Got to the house. Made coffee, reassured wife we're still on schedule. Went to the realtor to sign POA papers for pending house closing (I hope 'cause this market SUCKS!). Got a fresh haircut 'cause I don't like finding a new place the first week in a new town. Picked up the rental truck, paid a couple dudes $400 to load it, reassured the wife we're still on schedule. Loaded the kids in the wife's car, I'm driving the moving truck. Made sure all the utilities were transfered over with a forwarding address a week ago. Hell, even updated my address for my journals because I don't want to miss a month. Bert done left a trail of pending real estate deals in his wake! Roll the caravan on out at 1700 with floorboard boom box playin' "Today", and a map of all the Starbucks between me and my destination in case I need a bump. Thank goodness the truck isn't safe for my kid's car seats, so my wife is stuck with them in her VW. I'll be hearing about it tonight, though, when she retells all the crying and moaning and screaming that made her drive a living hell. I've got 5 more hrs tomorrow to my final destination, where I get to unload this 26' beast into our new rental with my father-in-law. Ole Cannonball Run didn't have a thing on us that night... Regards, ---Bert

:rofl::rofl::lol::lol::rofl::rofl:

While I love Zippy's version, as a father of 3, this is more how my last day of residency (you know, in 7 years) will go... Love it. :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank goodness the truck isn't safe for my kid's car seats, so my wife is stuck with them in her VW. I'll be hearing about it tonight, though, when she retells all the crying and moaning and screaming that made her drive a living hell.

:laugh: :laugh:

My post residency move, Virginia --> California:

Wife drove with kids and dogs in the Honda minivan. I flew out with the cat about a week later to close on our new house ... flew back to VA a few days later to finish residency ... then drove the M3 to CA by myself.

Definitely got the better end of that deal.

Last edited:

Here's my version:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Classic.

The most memorable post in the history of SDN anesthesia!

Touché. :thumbup:

How 'bout the one that describes a typical anesthesiologist day...? You know... the one where the surgeon gets flipped off in the parking lot...?

That's also a good one.

Reactions: 1 users
I thought of zip's story today as I completed my last day of residency. It was equally exciting, but in a different/less cool way.

Definitely a strange feeling to be done.

Touché. :thumbup:

How 'bout the one that describes a typical anesthesiologist day...? You know... the one where the surgeon gets flipped off in the parking lot...?

That's also a good one.

Found it buried in the archives:

An Anesthesiologist's typical Day through the Eyes of a Surgeon:

7:10- Roll out of bed, splash water on my face, head to work.

7:29- Arrive in time at the OR for my 7:30 cases. Determine each patient needs further lab work. I tell the surgeons we are delayed because patients were late arriving to hospital.

7:37- I'm hungry. Breakfast time.

8:42- I cut my breakfast short after 1 hour to make sure my 2 cases are now going. Stick my head in each room, patients asleep. From the door I hear beeping so I assume they both are alive, flash the thumbs up sign and leave.

8:44- Time to make rounds. I need to check on the RN.I.L.F.'s on 3W, 4E, 5C, and ICU.

10:06- "BEEP, BEEP, BEEP." FUQQ!! Rounds cut short due to pager going off, AGAIN! "Dammit, that's the third time this thing has gone off this month! What am I, the friggin hospitalist?"

10:11- Man, I'm hungry. It's been over an hour and a half since my last food break. I head to the doctor's lounge to grab a coke, some donuts, watch CNBC, and check emails.

11:03- Cut my donut break short to check on my cases. Both rooms are empty. I find out my next case is already in progress in a different room. Pulse Ox is beeping. Patient is alive. I flash the thumbs up from the door and leave.

11:06- Family members ask how the surgery is going. I tell them he is fine. They tell me it's a she. "Whatever. She's doing fine. Gotta run."

11:11- Surgeon wants to know if he can add on an emergency appendectomy. All 3 anesthesiologists already have 1 case in progress each that are being supervised, but we can do it first thing in the morning. Surgeon gets pissed. I tell him to tell the hospital to not be so cheap and give anesthesia more money.

11:13- I head off to finish my "floor rounds." (wink, wink)

11:46- Need to grab a quick lunch before I starve to death!

12:49- I cut lunch short after only an hour so that me and my colleagues can have our daily battle over who gets the short straw and has to stay. Once again we all walk out on the new guy.

12:52- Walking to doctor's parking lot. Feeling stressed. This is now the THIRD day in a row I've had to stay past 11:30am. Will bring this up at the next group meeting.

12:56- Driving away in my Bentley. Surgeon waves to me on his way to clinic. I flash him the finger.

Reactions: 7 users
Definitely a strange feeling to be done.

That's how I felt. I wanted to flip off those horrible attendings I had, but at the same time knew there was nothing to gain from it.

In fact I see some of them once every few years. I still daydream about approaching them to tell them how ****ty they were.

meant to bump this yesterday, forgot. hopefully CA-3s that finished yesterday are still around.

Bumping again. Still the best post ever in this forum.