The Best Time To Do an SMP??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zaids37

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was planning on doing an SMP and just wondering what is the usual/preferred timing that people do these programs. I just graduated in May 2014 and will be applying next cycle (2015) because I'm spending the summer (and possibly early fall) preparing and studying for the MCAT. I was planning on doing an SMP AFTER I applied to Med schools next cycle, is this ok or would it be considered too late and have no effect on improving my application?

I read that people get accepted into Med school while enrolled into these programs but would it be more beneficial to try to squeeze in my application and go this coming year before I apply??

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're applying to start medical school in 2016, I suggest you start an SMP next fall. If you're ready and have a decent MCAT, you should do the SMP while applying. If your GPA is really low, <2.8, maybe you should wait until after the SMP to apply. You should post in the post-baccalaureate forum for SMP related questions.

As soon as possible since your program might require a glide year so that schools can actually see your grades.

Also, look at it this way, if you apply now (which seems like your application will be late) and you apply during the SMP year (with nothing new added to your resume except classes that you will take in the future with no grades available yet) and you come out empty handed again, how do you think a third time will be viewed? I'm not saying 3rd time applicants can't make it in, but nothing gives you the best chance like being a first time applicant and if you're not competitive right now then maybe its best to hold off until after you finish the SMP so that you can enter the grades on AMCAS. No MD program cares if someone is just in an SMP because you can easily do poorly in it. Also, you won't have grade updates until December the latest and thus your undergraduate GPA will still be a huge factor in admissions. The people who apply while they enroll in SMP programs usually have borderline stats (~3.4/29-30) and the fall SMP grades probably pushed them over the edge.

I know you want to get in ASAP, but if you need to make up a poor GPA, its best to evaluate your application and decide when is the best time to apply to give yourself the best chance of admittance possible.