The Bible of Pain Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paintrain

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which pain textbook would you consider the "Bible" of pain medicine. Something every pain fellow should read. Similar to Miller's reputation for anesthesia.

I've seen this question asked before but wanted recent opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

Just search this forum for steve lobel and that's pretty much all you need.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I liked the Furman atlas more than Rathmell personally

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
There can be only one: Bonica.

Reactions: 1 user
Which pain textbook would you consider the "Bible" of pain medicine. Something every pain fellow should read. Similar to Miller's reputation for anesthesia.

I've seen this question asked before but wanted recent opinion.
i do not think there is a really good comprehensive pain textbook. my suggestion is gear your reading towards the pain boards if that is your goal. Bonica was the first big pain book that weighed over 10 pounds, but those types of books are out of date by the time they are printed now. the best way to find out the best thinking on a topic is to find a recent review article. used to have to go to a library for that - EZ now given the internet and pubmed.

Furman for an atlas. The textbook situation is rather bleak. There isn't a baby Miller or m&m. Those books are so much easier to read than any pain text I have looked at.

Just search this forum for steve lobel and that's pretty much all you need.

Sorry for the typo; it was supposed to say Chuck Norris... Stupid autocorrect

Agree with furman for atlas.
Benzon for text

Danne Miller for boards. This is what got me 99%tile on the ABMS board exam. No lie, I watched the lectures 10x.

Reactions: 1 users
I like Bonica as a main text.

But Slipman for interventional, fenton as atlas, lennard for procedures in office.

that slipman text is a waste of time. i dare you to pull out any clinically relevant info from bogduk's chapter. it is in sanskrit

Members don't see this ad :)
I like PAIN MEDICINE written by BI Boston staff...

None. Interventional texts use a hammer to treat anything that remotely resembles an injectable diagnosis. Pain master texts are already out of date when printed and are highly biased towards the background training and whims of the authors. Pubmed.com is the best source along with the very well written articles on emedicine.com

I would like to know how many anesthesia based pain docs on this forum are using furman's atlas as a reference. A co contributor would like to know !

Me too. So impressed that I went to spend the day with him in his procedure suite in York. When is second edition coming?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

ISIS/SIS Guidelines?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

I think you appreciate the Guidelines the more experience you have. Gives you multiple approaches to an individual procedure and very detailed info on the radiography for some procedures. As close to a procedural Bible as you can get but I think too detailed for the novice.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I think you appreciate the Guidelines the more experience you have. Gives you multiple approaches to an individual procedure and very detailed info on the radiography for some procedures. As close to a procedural Bible as you can get but I think too detailed for the novice.
known+knowns.jpg

Simple works well, when everything goes according to plan.

8606fe86182d2184af7818d977f4992f355e8714ced94e11b91b584b1334141b.jpg

It's when you don't know what you don't know that gets you into trouble.

known+knowns.jpg

Simple works well, when everything goes according to plan.

8606fe86182d2184af7818d977f4992f355e8714ced94e11b91b584b1334141b.jpg

It's when you don't know what you don't know that gets you into trouble.

TRUE. Now I am waiting for the reference to waterboarding.

When you say Benzon, you're referring to "Practical Management of Pain" (Benzon, Rathmell) and not "Essentials of Pain Medicine" (Benzon, Raja).. right?

Who needs the bible when the have god himself (Algos) and the son of god (Lobel) on here to talk directly to?

(this is a tongue in cheek joke guys, I love and respect you all)

There can be only one: Bonica.
A quote from a pain friend of mine who has abandoned procedures -

"Did you know that John Boniva had over 22 surgeries and hundreds of injections for "pain?"

Worked well for him (other than dying still in pain and with a ruined body) but set a good precedent for the future of pain medicine."

The truth is it was Fordyce who set the good precedent. He is the unsung hero.

Tell me more about the friend who abandoned procedures...

When you say Benzon, you're referring to "Practical Management of Pain" (Benzon, Rathmell) and not "Essentials of Pain Medicine" (Benzon, Raja).. right?

Curious as well: which benzon is it?!

A quote from a pain friend of mine who has abandoned procedures -

"Did you know that John Boniva had over 22 surgeries and hundreds of injections for "pain?"

Worked well for him (other than dying still in pain and with a ruined body) but set a good precedent for the future of pain medicine."
Dr. Bonica, a wonderful amazing man to know and talk to, was a difficult and demanding chronic pain patient. He was all messed up from wrestling earlier in life. I agree 100% that Bill Fordyce was THE unsung hero. He read an MMPI like a crystal ball; truly amazing.

I searched through the forums and could not find good answers to my questions. For the ABPM examination, do you think thoroughly going over painexam questions are sufficient for passing? How about just using Dannemiller lectures/videos? What is a high-yield pain textbook (title and authors) that you would recommend to prepare for the ABPM examination if you just have time to read one? Thanks!

I searched through the forums and could not find good answers to my questions. For the ABPM examination, do you think thoroughly going over painexam questions are sufficient for passing? How about just using Dannemiller lectures/videos? What is a high-yield pain textbook (title and authors) that you would recommend to prepare for the ABPM examination if you just have time to read one? Thanks!

Watched dannemiller videos 2x each. Do painexam all questions until you can name answer without looking.

I think Essentials of Pain medicine Benzon is a great overview that isn't too dense but covers a lot. I bought an old copy of Bonica for cheap which I open rarely but nice to have it nonetheless on the bookshelf to take up space. Fenton for image guided spine intervention has decent illustrations.