The Big Move

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnytruant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to a couple schools. One right in my backyard, and the other nearly halfway across the country. Both have great programs, although the school closest to me is a bit cheaper. I'm excited by the prospect of putting down roots (for a few years at least) in a new city, but the prospect of moving so far away from everyone I love and care about is terrifying. I've lived in the same town all my life, and while I'm very fond of it, I can't help but wonder if it's time to move on for now.

As the deadline creeps ever closer, I'm growing more anxious about possibly making the wrong call and being miserable for three years. I haven't seen this topic discussed on this board (which means maybe this isn't the appropriate forum...), so I was wondering if anyone else out there is facing this same issue.

Maybe we can help put things into perspective for each other.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say move. It's only for a couple of years so if you hate it you can always move back. Besides it's fun moving to a new city (although a little scary).

I felt the same way, although my move wasn't nearly as drastic. But, if you never go to someplace new you might never meet new people and live a new life. Also, I think it's important to stray outside of your comfort zone. The people you meet in your PT class may be your best friends for the whole program and possibly for the rest of your life. It's difficult meeting people at first, but once school starts you'll be glad that most of your friends will be going through the same experience as yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought about this as well....if in doubt, stay where you are.

What I've decided to do is take advantage of clinicals elsewhere in the country - I've lived within an hour of Chicago my whole life (growing up I lived an hour West, and I went to school 30 min North of the city). I'm going to grad school in the city (which is still a change from the suburbs, for sure). I thought about going to NYU, or Seattle, or Arizona, but I'm not sure if I'd love it, and 3 years is a long time to be away from everything I've ever known, but a 3 month clinical is a good amount of time to try it out - if I hate it, I'm only there for 3 months. If I love it, then I have an idea of where I can look for a job after graduation.

Plus for me I'd like to go to school wehre I think I'll end up living in 3 years, which for me is Chicago. I don't want to go to school far away only to come back here and try to get a job.

I'm surprised not much other people have responded to this. I have lived in Hawaii my whole life and now I'm preparing to move across the country to New York. For me there is no school that would be in my "backyard" because the closest school would be in California and that is at least a five hour flight away. Everyday I feel excited, nervous, and down right scared every time I think about it. In the end though, I feel like everything will be alright because everyone would be there for the same goal of graduating with a degree and passing the license exam. I would say stepping out of the comfort zone and experiencing new places would be enriching to our lives.

Good for you Hilife. Stepping out of your comfort zone and experiencing the world can be a good motivator in choice of schools. Congrats on getting into NYU. From what I understand, living in HI is nearly as expensive as living in NYC? One advantage for you is that you can always go home for a 2-3month clinical if you want!

Dancer, staying close to home, but doing clinicals throughout the country outside of your immediate area is a good idea too! I grew up in the midwest, went to PT school in NYC, and did my clinicals in San Fran, Los Angeles, San Jose, and Vail. If not for my girlfriend in NYC, I'm sure I would've ended up at one of those places after graduation. I like to travel a lot so this worked out for me.

Johnny, you will never truly know if you made the wrong choice. All you can do is make the most of where you decide to go. Like I said before, if you go far away, you can always come home for clinicals. OR, you can stay close to home and do clinicals far away. Either way, you have the ability to taste life away from home!

I'm looking at it as an adventure. There are no public PT schools in my state so it's the same cost no matter where I go. It's only 3 years and correct me if I'm wrong those who have gone through their educations or part of it but I'm sure you'll make new friends (ones with a common interest).

One year out of undergrad, I relocated from the east coast to the west coast to attend graduate school for a degree in dance. Moving 3000 miles away was very rough, but it was a one-of-a-kind program that suited my needs for merging dance with movement science. As I'm moving into my new apartment there was a couple next to me moving in too: she was a first year grad in dance too! Our class only had 3 people, but I felt at home the moment I met one other classmate!

Within days I had several friends (and you will too!!) and was glad I pushed myself out of my comfort zone. It was the hardest and best 3 years of my life so far. Of course, I expect to say the same about the upcoming three years in DPT school! ;)

That said, go with your gut. I'm the kind of person that embraces change, no matter how big. I love it and find it exciting. If you thrive in situations of change, then I say go for it! However, if it causes more stress than it's worth, I recommend what dancer proposed. Stay local, but travel on your clinical affiliations! It is good to put yourself outside of our comfort zone and you'd be doing that no matter which option you take! It's a personal decision: you'll have to figure out yourself. Remember, neither option is right or wrong. Just do what feels right. I say, write down the pros and cons on a sheet of paper, sometimes seeing that list is all you need in order to decide what to do.

Good luck with your decision. :)

I think in making your decision you have to figure out what you really want from your PT experience.

I grew up in TX then went to college in the Midwest, where I met and became friends with people all over the country and several other nations. After graduating from college, I moved to Chicago and went to grad school. I have to say, making that big move was awesome and just what I was looking for. I met people from diverse cultural, socioeconomic and geographical backgrounds. It has opened my eyes to many different things and issues that I had not previously thought about or was exposed to growing up in suburban TX. Leaving where I grew up and all I knew was one of the best decisions I could've made. I haven't moved back since then, but I've known all along that if I ever didn't want to be where I was at the moment, I could always go back.

Also, I'm glad I moved around when I was younger, when I no spouse, no children, no mortgage. It was the best time in my life to embark on an adventure, be totally selfish and do what I want. Just something to think about.

Good luck!