The Caribbean and Personal Statements (for iBellai)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skip Intro

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was asked a question on my page about writing personal statements for a Caribbean application. I'm far from an expert on what adcoms look for with regards to that, but I thought I'd make some general comments here:

1. Be honest. That's the first and foremost important thing. Talk about your accomplishments and desire to be a doctor that make you unique.
  2. Spell and grammar check it before you send. Have someone proofread it again before you fold it up and put it in the envelope.
  3. Avoid telling them what you think they want to hear. Just be yourself.
  4. Accentuate the positive. Avoid the negative. You don't need to tell them that you've "learned from your mistakes" or the like. Just list all of your accomplishments. They're going to see your grades and MCAT scores. No need to try to explain them. If you have a severe deficiencies that do need to be addressed, you may want to re-frame them in a positive light, like saying "upon not meeting my own expectations for 'X' course/achievement/extra-curricular, it provided me with a tremendous opportunity to reflect and grow on what I need to do to become stronger at that activity" or the like.
  5. Avoid saying things like, "I really want to be a doctor because I want to help people" or any other iteration of that. That goes without saying and, literally, is stated in almost every single application. People are tired of reading it. Tell them what you will do when you become a doctor instead.

That's a good start. I wish I had more time to provide an app review service, but sadly I just don't have enough time and this is the best I can do to offer this kind of advice.

Good luck!

-Skip

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! I've been working hard on my application- especially the personal statement and am hoping to get it in by next week.