The cheapest way to take pre-med courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

survive5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I finished my B.S. in a different country, and I plan to re-take some of the pre-med courses here in the states. I called a few local colleges and was unpleasantly surprised that it takes a few thousands to take a course:( It will add up to a fortune to take all of them, except for bio, I have a Ph.D. in bio, so I think I should be fining waving bio courses. The school where I finished my Ph.D. charges $5000 per course credit, and I am definitely going somewhere else. Does it matter where I take these courses? Any cheaper ways to do it? Is it possible to transfer some of my foreign undergraduate credits? Anyone successfully done that? Sorry I'm loaded with questions. Any advice is appreciated!

-unhappy wallet

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't claim that courses taken at a community college will be looked at the same as that taken at a university, but I know several medical students, myself included, who have taken all of their pre-reqs at a community college, either before or after completing their B.A./B.S.

I can't claim that courses taken at a community college will be looked at the same as that taken at a university, but I know several medical students, myself included, who have taken all of their pre-reqs at a community college, either before or after completing their B.A./B.S.
Thank you for your personal input. That's good to know.

Any cheaper ways to do it? Is it possible to transfer some of my foreign undergraduate credits?

As a degree-seeking, matriculated student. Though I do not know what issues you will encounter in applying, since you already have a PhD. You would need to talk to the admissions office at the schools you are interested in to find this information.
There are often options to do a second bachelors program. You would not need to complete a second bachelors degree, but if you get accepted this way, you could take the courses you want and then stop. Doing this, if you take classes full-time, would allow you to pay the tuition rate, which is several thousand cheaper than doing courses one by one.
Good luck!

The CHEAPEST way is to work for a company that pays your tuition.

Reactions: 1 user