The Chicago School and Columbia Teacher's College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Motiv4ted

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm way really new to this board, and to be honest, all this information about MSW/MHC/MFT on this website and countless others I have done research on only help to confuse me even more. However, I have narrowed down my choices to two programs and I still have quite a few questions I was hoping someone can answer.

First, let me say a bit about myself. I'm an undergraduate student at Loyola University in Chicago majoring in psychology. My cumulative GPA is 3.84, and my major GPA should be around 3.9. I volunteered as a research assistant for one of my professor for the fall semester and also planning to volunteer for the spring semester. I also volunteered at a hotline crisis for about two months now and will continue until graduate school. Another fact which might be irrelevant is that I will have completed my undergraduate studies in only 3 years. I'm graduating in the spring semester. My original dream was getting a PhD in clinical psychology and treating depression. I only want to work in a clinical setting and not teach/research. I still like having the prospect of being able to fall back into teaching/research though so I like the PhD route. However, due to not having enough research/clinical experience (like my adviser told me) I wouldn't be eligible for a PhD program. Therefore, right now I'm looking into masters programs in counseling or clinical psychology. So first off here are some of my questions, sorry if these some of these seem stupid :

1 / Why is MFT considered a different route from a masters in counseling (at least on this forum, it seems that way to me unless I am mistaken) ? What is the difference in job opportunities between a counseling program and a MFT program ? Is most MFT more concerned with couples therapy or more concerned with adolescent and child therapy or does it depend on each individual program?

2 / Is it necessary to get accepted into a CACREP program ? How are my chances in working after I receive my masters hurt if I get into a non-CACREP program instead (espescially in the state of Illinois) ? I would also appreciate it if someone can tell me how I can find out each state's regulations on the matter.

3 / My current plan is either to get a terminal masters in clinical psychology or general psychology then apply straight to a PhD program versus getting a masters in counseling, then working a few years towards my license and then see what direction I want to head at that point. I understand for the first option, I could get my masters in as soon as a year and a half but how long for the second option (including the 3000 hours of supervised work towards the LCPC) ? Realistically, if I don't have another job and fully concentrate on my studies, what is the least amount of time I can get my masters and LCPC ?

4 / Some people have said that a MSW generally offers more job opportunities than a Masters in counseling or masters in psychology. Is the difference in job opportunities quite large? or is it still easy to find a job ? I found one thread on here where the person got their Masters in counseling from FL and went to NY and could not find any real work and most of the places in NY prefer a MSW so I'm afraid of that happening to me since I'm not the type of person who will stay in one place for too long.

5 / Right now, I'm considering two programs :
a/ The M.A program in Clinical Psychology Personality and Psychopathology track at Columbia Teachers College
http://www.tc.edu/ccp/clinical/
b/ The M.A in Counseling Psychology, Treatment of Addiction Disorders Concentration at the Chicago School of Professional Psychology.
http://www.thechicagoschool.edu/Chi...reatment_of_Addiction_Disorders_Concentration

I have read on this forum that Teachers College at Columbia isn't exactly a good program, and to be honest, with its costs and the fact that they hardly offer any scholarships, I'm not so keen on wasting my parents' money on a not-so-good education in a city with such a high living standard.

6 / I really like way the Chicago School program sounds though, and I definitely have a strong interest in working with addiction, so I was wondering if anyone on this forum have heard of or is a student of the school and any of its similar programs and would be able to give me a brief review on its programs. Also, the program says that as part of the curriculum, I would have 700 hours of field work minimum, would these 700 hours count towards the required 3000 for the LCPC ?

7 / Also, if I specifically want to work with depression, what other options or routes do you guys suggest ? I would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations about your own specific routes you guys have taken to be able to work with depression.

I realize my post was way too long and probably confusing, but thank you guys for having read this far. I'd appreciate any helpful answers you guys can offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I only want to work in a clinical setting and not teach/research. I still like having the prospect of being able to fall back into teaching/research though so I like the PhD route.

If you do a PhD, research and teaching will not be a fall back--it will be your life for 5-10 years and beyond. If you don't want to do research, the PhD is not for you.

1 / Why is MFT considered a different route from a masters in counseling (at least on this forum, it seems that way to me unless I am mistaken) ?
Is most MFT more concerned with couples therapy or more concerned with adolescent and child therapy or does it depend on each individual program?

Basically, yes. An MFT program will focus more on a family and couples systems approach, whereas counseling is a generic term--there are many different sects of counseling (family, community, mental health, etc.)

What is the difference in job opportunities between a counseling program and a MFT program ?

Very similar, depending on the state you practice in. What will be different is the population you are trained to work with.

2 / Is it necessary to get accepted into a CACREP program ? How are my chances in working after I receive my masters hurt if I get into a non-CACREP program instead (espescially in the state of Illinois) ? I would also appreciate it if someone can tell me how I can find out each state's regulations on the matter.

Illinois does not require CACREP accreditation for LPC licensure. However, the curriculum must be equivalent to CACREP requirements.

3 / My current plan is either to get a terminal masters in clinical psychology or general psychology then apply straight to a PhD program versus getting a masters in counseling, then working a few years towards my license and then see what direction I want to head at that point. I understand for the first option, I could get my masters in as soon as a year and a half but how long for the second option (including the 3000 hours of supervised work towards the LCPC) ? Realistically, if I don't have another job and fully concentrate on my studies, what is the least amount of time I can get my masters and LCPC ?

After receiving your masters, if you work for two years full-time (supervised), it will take about 2 years to get the LCPC if all goes perfectly according to that plan, although it often does not.

4 / Some people have said that a MSW generally offers more job opportunities than a Masters in counseling or masters in psychology. Is the difference in job opportunities quite large? or is it still easy to find a job ? I found one thread on here where the person got their Masters in counseling from FL and went to NY and could not find any real work and most of the places in NY prefer a MSW so I'm afraid of that happening to me since I'm not the type of person who will stay in one place for too long.

It really depends on where (both geographic location and population/scope) you want to work. The job market sucks everywhere right now, because the economy is in the toilet. It's not specific to this field.

I have read on this forum that Teachers College at Columbia isn't exactly a good program, and to be honest, with its costs and the fact that they hardly offer any scholarships

Don't count on much funding for a masters program. It is hard to come by.

6 / I really like way the Chicago School program sounds though, and I definitely have a strong interest in working with addiction, so I was wondering if anyone on this forum have heard of or is a student of the school and any of its similar programs and would be able to give me a brief review on its programs. Also, the program says that as part of the curriculum, I would have 700 hours of field work minimum, would these 700 hours count towards the required 3000 for the LCPC ?

No, the 700 hours is part of your degree. The 3000 hours for LCPC are post-graduate. I know some people who've gone to the Chicago School, by the way, and I've heard great things and they are great clinicians. Just my experience.

7 / Also, if I specifically want to work with depression, what other options or routes do you guys suggest ? I would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations about your own specific routes you guys have taken to be able to work with depression.

Everywhere you go you will work with depression--guaranteed.

Therefore, right now I'm looking into masters programs in counseling or clinical psychology.

In Virginia, a MA level degree in clinical psychology is not a terminal degree that has much use - it is a prerequisite to the doctoral level degree and you can't cross walk to licensure as an LPC with the clinical psychology degree. I have seen people graduate, decide to bail on the Psy.D./Ph.D. and assume that they will just become counselors instead, and they are not able to meet the requirements without returning to grad school. In Virginia - this is a fork in the road where you need to make a decision early - i.e. before grad school.

Realistically, if I don't have another job and fully concentrate on my studies, what is the least amount of time I can get my masters and LCPC ?
I totally understand - what is the fastest route to licensure... but the journey is what makes us therapists - not the route or license. (YMMV) And during Residency - while you are earning hours to licensure - you are getting paid, working in the work you love, and you are no longer in school. I love being a resident.

I would have 700 hours of field work minimum, would these 700 hours count towards the required 3000 for the LCPC ?

In Virginia - if you attend a CACREP program - 900 hours (pre-Masters) count toward the 4000 hours (post Masters).

If the program is non-CACREP - 600 hours of the internship (zero hours of the practicum for either case) count toward licensure hours.

And I agree - depression is everywhere.... and you may also find you have a passion for something else after you complete your coursework and begin your field placements. The process of becoming a therapist has a way of changing us.

HTH,

Vasa Lisa

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for having answered some of my questions guys. It's helped me a lot with deciding what to do with my life... Anyways, I have a couple more questions if you guys don't mind giving me some advices on. These questions mainly deal with the programs themselves.

I'm currently looking at a couple of programs, two terminal masters in psychology programs that prepare me for licensure but would help me in applying for a PhD ( I realize that a PhD is very much needed in my situation because I'm not a US citizen and might be returning to my home country to practice so a PhD would definitely get me jobs where as a masters would not back in my home country). I'm also looking at two terminal masters programs in counseling that would prepare my for licensure to practice in the US. I was just wondering what some of your thoughts are on these programs.

1/ The General Psychology program at DePaul University in Chicago. This program is supposed to provide me with more experience and a foundation for a PhD in clinical Psychology. I like this program because it doesn't cost much but I was wondering if it's any good in getting me admission to a PhD program after I finish.

2/ A General Psych masters program at NYU. This program costs a lot more than the DePaul one and I don't really know if it's a good program, I have heard mixed reviews about it online, but I was wondering what you guys' opinions are.

Counseling programs
3/ Like I said, I was looking at the masters in counseling at the Chicago School of Professional Psychology, specializing in addictions so any more information about this program or this school's similar programs are appreciated.

4/ A masters of arts in counseling psychology at the Family Institute at Northwestern University. I was wondering which program would be better, this one or the one at the Chicago school, also if anyone has any feedbacks about this program, it would be great.

Basically, right now, I'm considering doing this :
Getting my M.S in General Psychology at Depaul University, meanwhile, I will try to look to be a RA for a professor at Northwestern University, then apply to their PhD in clinical psychology once I get my masters degree at Depaul. How likely do you think this will happen, if I will be working my butt off and getting good grades at Depaul ?

My second option:
Getting either a masters in counseling at either the Chicago school or at Northwestern (I'm leaning towards Northwester more because it will get me familiarized with the faculty/work environment there), then apply to the PhD program in clinical psychology at Northwestern. I'm afraid that while this option will enable me to become a practitioner if I don't decide to get a PhD, it will also hurt my chances of getting into a PhD program because the counseling program will focus more on providing therapy and less on research and I have heard most PhD programs like to have people who want to do a lot of research instead of becoming a practitioner. Long story short, would a masters in counseling hurt my chances of getting admitted into a PhD program, give me more chances or just about the same as a masters in general psychology would ?

Also, when I was looking at different schools, Argosy and Adler are the two schools that keep coming up. It seem like they have good programs from what their websites say, but they cost a lot and I was wondering if it's just a money mill kind of school. What are your thoughts on these two schools ? ( I will be going to their on campus programs and not the online ones if I do decide to go there)

Last edited:
The Chicago School & Northwestern have great programs. However, they don't have a research component that would prepare you for a Ph.D. I have a colleague at Northwestern who has a research assistantship, however.

I would also recommend Roosevelt University's masters program in clinical psychology. They have two tracks--one terminal masters with a practicum that leads to LPC licensure, and one non-terminal masters with a thesis or practicum option. You can do the terminal masters with a thesis as well (win-win). The non-terminal (i.e., thesis option) degree is designed for PhD-bound students. They have several faculty with research labs reaching across many specialties, so it is reasonable to think that you'll get research experience.

Benedictine also has a similar set up--clinical psychology masters with an option for research. They are very Rogerian, however, so if you really want psychodynamic or CBT-related training, you may be disappointed.