The COMLEX Pass Rates and Scoring Average of Each School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ATSU-KCOM: 98%
ATSU-SOMA: 94% (July) 89% (Aug)
AZCOM: 98%
CCOM:96%
DMU:96%
GA- PCOM: 96%
KCUMB: 98%
LECOM-E: 94%
LECOM-B: 100% (woot, woot)
LMU-DCOM: 90 -91%
MSUCOM:
NSUCOM: 95%
NYCOM:
OSUCOM: 98% (average)
OUCOM: 98% (average)
PNWU-COM:
PCOM -PA:
PCSOM:
RVUCOM:
TU-NY: 78%
TU-MI: 90%
TU-NV: 91-92&
UMDNJ:
UNECOM: 96%
TCOM: 99%
VCOM:
Western: 98%
WVSOM: 88%
WCUCOM: N/A (first available in 2012)

Someone, please find out MSUCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is my last post in here for the night. Your hyperbolic comparison to lung cancer is just plain silly, this is not a life or death issue. I am simply giving the most commonly reported data for the schools in question, the accuracy of it is anyone's guess, but I tend to think that it will have a variance of 4-5% of the actual data. Someone has yes yet to come forward with contradicting data from an individual school.

I have declared where I got the data (school websites, and info from the interview trail), and the sources could be questionable. Goodnight.

It is not silly at all. My example illustrates how bad data can be worse than no data. If you don't like the lung cancer choice then we can make the disease herpes instead and the same principles apply.

This thread is officially to compile the growing COMLEX average list. Let it be common knowledge that the newest national pass average is 91.5% and that the averages pulled for individual schools are taken from sources such as SDN, medical students, and admissions office, and are to be used as a rough estimate for prospective students.

Members don't see this ad :)
AZCOM: 98%
MSUCOM: 91-92%
NYCOM:
PNWU-COM:
PCOM -PA:
PCSOM:
RVUCOM:
UMDNJ:
VCOM:

updated MSUCOM, first time pass rate.

Last edited:
last i heard, NYCOM was in the high 80s.

Well, that was 5 years ago. In that 5 years, UNE's pass rate went from supposedly 94% down to 80-something percent (I think it was 84 or 86%??) for two years and now is back up to 96%. So it can actually vary quite a bit.

I saw that TCOM's COMLEX information is up there, but they also published their USMLE info/mean scores, for those who are interested--

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/SACS/Complia...3.HTM?id=8f558dd2-861f-de11-af17-00304891d679

"The TCOM class of 2010 performed best in the nation for all osteopathic medical schools with a 99.3 percent pass rate and a mean score of 536 out of 540 points. TCOM's achievement target on the COMLEX I, COMLEX II-Cognitive Evaluation (CE), and COMLEX II-Performance Evaluation (PE) exams is a 95% pass rate. "

"The TCOM class of 2010 also achieved a 93.7% percent pass rate on the USMLE Step I, which is above the national average of 92.9% for performance on the USMLE I by all test-takers. Also, TCOM class of 2010 students taking six NBME subject exams scored, on average, at the 44th national percentile rank, which is above TCOM's achievement target of scoring at or above the 40th national percentile rank on NBME subject tests."

I saw that TCOM's COMLEX information is up there, but they also published their USMLE info/mean scores, for those who are interested--

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/SACS/Complia...3.HTM?id=8f558dd2-861f-de11-af17-00304891d679

"The TCOM class of 2010 performed best in the nation for all osteopathic medical schools with a 99.3 percent pass rate and a mean score of 536 out of 540 points. TCOM’s achievement target on the COMLEX I, COMLEX II-Cognitive Evaluation (CE), and COMLEX II-Performance Evaluation (PE) exams is a 95% pass rate. "

"The TCOM class of 2010 also achieved a 93.7% percent pass rate on the USMLE Step I, which is above the national average of 92.9% for performance on the USMLE I by all test-takers. Also, TCOM class of 2010 students taking six NBME subject exams scored, on average, at the 44th national percentile rank, which is above TCOM’s achievement target of scoring at or above the 40th national percentile rank on NBME subject tests."

Wow, that USMLE stat seems pretty cool.

This info is from a presentation given to us (class of 2012) in Jan 2010.
AZCOM: 99.6% comlex - 540 (class of 2011) usmle - 89% pass, 90% of the class took it.
NYCOM:
PNWU-COM:
PCOM -PA:
PCSOM:
RVUCOM:
UMDNJ:
VCOM:

updated MSUCOM, first time pass rate.

When I interviewed at LECOM, they said that they passed at 96 %

Does anyone know the Pass rate 2010 for UMDNJ?

As far as the USMLE scores from DO schools, it is important to remember that it is a self selected group that take it. Those that expect to do poorly will likely skip the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
rezin385 said:
AZCOM: 99.6% comlex - 540 (class of 2011) usmle - 89% pass, 90% of the class took it.
NYCOM:
PNWU-COM:
PCOM -PA:
PCSOM:
RVUCOM:
TU-NY: 88%
UMDNJ:
VCOM:

I figured someone from TouroCOM-NY would have come and updated this for us. Our stat was released to us a few months ago and I guess no one went on here. We're no longer the outlier! Our second class got its **** together and got our first time pass rates up in respectable territory of 88%

Where is that KCUMB pass rate from? When I interviewed there a couple months ago they claimed a 94-95% pass rate.

Anyways, I'm not too concerned with pass rate, but more with average scores and the percent of students that get their 1st choice residency. KCUMB claims that 90% of their students match into their 1st choice and the rest get their 2nd choice. (info is taken from interview day)

Does anyone have % matching into 1st choice residency for NSU or AZCOM? Avg board scores for NSU or KCUMB?

Just trying to scrounge up some more info about these schools. Your help is appreciated.

NYCOM:
PNWU-COM: 80%
PCOM -PA:
PCSOM:
RVUCOM:
UMDNJ:
VCOM:

PNWU had an 80% pass rate roughly. Granted, the first class for whatever reason did not have to take the COMSAE before registering for the COMLEX, so the results will be skewed as EVERYONE was allowed to take the COMLEX. Take it for what its worth.

I would rather think that would be a more accurate first time pass rate. UNECOM also does not provide nor require COMSAE (and also does not provide or require any board prep course of ANY student) and ALL students MUST take (and pass) COMLEX level 1 in order to progress to third year.

Those schools who deliberately deny students from taking the boards because "they're not ready" and provide them with extra studying, extra board prep, extra classes.. those are the skewed "first time pass rates".

Well either way it is tough to compare stats when some schools allow everyone to take the COMLEX and other schools require a pass on the COMSAE first.

Regardless, I was not impressed with our pass rate and it was pretty much a hush hush topic. But, I know if we had done better, they would be posting the stats all over the place.

Ahh well, I won't let it mess with my performance.

I was told my class 2011 has 92% pass rate.

NYCOM:
PCOM -PA:
PCSOM:
RVUCOM:
UMDNJ: 92%
VCOM:

PNWU had an 80% pass rate roughly. Granted, the first class for whatever reason did not have to take the COMSAE before registering for the COMLEX, so the results will be skewed as EVERYONE was allowed to take the COMLEX. Take it for what its worth.

Des Monies says their average score is in the 540's.

Still no VCOM? I thought I had seen 96% somewhere but I could be wrong. Anyone know this number?

Was never a big fan of exPCM but I think he's right...not all of these numbers can be true if the mean pass is 91%. I haven't plugged the numbers into a calculator but just by looking at them, they seem inflated.

Did anyone else get an evil eye from the admins when they asked DO schools if they had any info on the proportion and performance of their students on the USMLE? You woulda thought I hit em with a mean 'yo momma' joke! :smuggrin:

Haha yes actually, I asked this at the end of my lecom-b interview and they looked at me like "who *%$&ing cares about USMLE?"

Report back from the dean at touro on performance. Still 1 or 2 scores outstanding (and we're not enthusiastic) but right now its 97% pass rate for Touro. Awaiting getting this in writing after the last straggler gets it done in (friggen) early september.

Almost every school is above average... yay maths!

well, from what I *understand* the new schools weigh down the old ones by getting well below (low 80s, high 70s) for their first few years while most schools hover right above the average leading to a 89-91 average in years past. The schools that dont report on this list are generally assumed to also be in the low 80's, high 70s to make the math work out well.

then again this entire theory is based on what I see on SDN... so it could be entirely horse excrement.

NYCOM:
PNWU-COM: 80%PCOM -PA:
PCSOM: 65% (2010)
RVUCOM:
UMDNJ:
VCOM:

Pikeville pass rate was quoted from the Director of Admissions during a visit to the school in July.

NYCOM:
PCOM -PA:
PCSOM: 65% (2010)
RVUCOM:
TU-NY: 97% (2011)
UMDNJ:
VCOM:

Quoted from preclinical dean

NYCOM:
PCSOM:
RVUCOM:
UMDNJ:
VCOM: 92%

92% pass rate quoted from a recent interview.

NYCOM:
PCSOM:
RVUCOM: 97.6%
UMDNJ:

RVU-COM 97.6% pass rate quoted over and over and over again by students, facility, and the dean during my interview at RVU last week. Apparently it is the highest board score pass rate ever achieved by an inaugural class. I asked if the average score was as impressive as their pass rate and they said it was.

Boards are really just up to you. If you have the dedication to memorize first aid and do a bunch of questions, you'll get a great score. It is as simple as that.

I would be interested i knowing the overall pass rate not the first time pass rate. Also how many times a student is allowed to take and fail an exam before being booted and does WVSOM provide students who fail ith remediation study assistance?
Big questions when have such a low first time pass rate.
QUOTE=medmom;7505703]I wanted to point something out that I didn't know before I started medical school. Some schools make you take a pre-test that is basically a remake of the test and if you don't pass the pre-test than they won't let you take the real test. This is one way to keep their "pass rate" high. So in all honesty the pass rate doesn't mean a whole lot unless you are willing to research which schools let everyone take it vs. which ones screen out potential fails first. Here at WVSOM we do not have a screening test. Everyone that passes first and second year can take the test. I believe our pass rate is around 82%.[/QUOTE]

People who are interested in LECOM-B because of its "100%" pass rate REALLY need to read up on why its 100. Its not because the school is full of geniuses (not saying any other school is any smarter), its because of how they screen for people who arent ready to write the exam.

Not saying its a bad school, but dont be fooled by its "100%" pass rate or that it has the "highest" pass rate. There is MUCH more to the story

People who are interested in LECOM-B because of its "100%" pass rate REALLY need to read up on why its 100. Its not because the school is full of geniuses (not saying any other school is any smarter), its because of how they screen for people who arent ready to write the exam.

Not saying its a bad school, but dont be fooled by its "100%" pass rate or that it has the "highest" pass rate. There is MUCH more to the story

Not really sure how this is deceitful. 100% is 100% regardless of how many "diagnostics" you have to take. I don't think the school is particularly full of geniuses either, but PBL arguably has something to do with it. I see nothing wrong with this. Quite frankly, I see it as a positive. If the school doesn't think I am ready (based on several years of statistical analysis), I don't want to take the test.

Also, do you mind sharing the "MUCH more" you are referring to? Do you have some inside info that we don't know?

LECOM is actually one of the schools that does NOT mandate passing a COMSAE before sitting for the exam. You need to pass an internal "LECOM mock-board", sure, but how is that really any different from a school imposing a 'minimum GPA of 2.x' to sit. If a school feels you're not prepared, believe me, they're doing you a FAVOR in mandating a pre-test review course (as LECOM does) before they let you sit for the exam. You may see this as "skewing" the pass rate, but I see it as more of a testament of LECOM's test-prep experience. How is this a negative for anyone attending a school that did this?

Update on LECOM-Erie and Seton Hill COMLEX scores... we were given a presentation today... For the Class of 2013, 96% pass rate on first try (this is Erie and Seton Hill together)... The national average pass rate for the class of 2013 was 93%. LECOM-Erie and Seton Hill average score was 524 and the national average is 521. We were also told we had 5 people score >700.

'
AZCOM: 99.6% comlex - 540 (class of 2011) usmle - 89% pass, 90% of the class took it. - stats from the last 150 people class, before they expand to the 250 people class
NYCOM:
PCSOM:
UMDNJ:

RVU-COM 97.6% pass rate quoted over and over and over again by students, facility, and the dean during my interview at RVU last week. Apparently it is the highest board score pass rate ever achieved by an inaugural class. I asked if the average score was as impressive as their pass rate and they said it was.

The average score is always a 500. The NBOME tweaks the stats for every exam so that 400 is passing, and 500 is the average.

I'm passing along what we were told by our admin. If they gave us false information I apologize.

Boards are really just up to you. If you have the dedication to memorize first aid and do a bunch of questions, you'll get a great score. It is as simple as that.

This is a great way of taking the heat off the schools, but the truth of the matter is, it's just not true. Not entirely anyway. You're paying 200 grand for a medical degree and one of the stipulations of that degree is that you pass the licensing exam. To say it's all up to the student is a cop-out. If I'm going to pay for a school to educate me, then they better freaking educate me according to the national guidelines of what a DOCTOR needs to know to practice medicine. I'll do the work in doing questions and going through review books, but I'll re-emphasize the word *REVIEW*. I refuse to pay $200K to learn material on my own.

Just saw this for the first time...

I dunno where LMU-DCOM's supposed pass rate came from, but as a graduate f their inaugural class I can assure you my class's first time pass rate was NOT 90-91%! IMO,DCOM actually did a pretty poor job preparing our class for boards, COMLEX or USMLE. We had a small minority of people that did great and a majority who were average and a surprising number who didn't pass on the first crack. As other posters have mentioned though, scoring well on the boards mostly comes down to the individual; however, it never hurts to be well-prepared by your school's curriculum.

You know, I may have even said this before in this thread since it is several years old, but Lecom-B doesn't stop anyone from taking COMLEX as long as they pass all their classes-- just like every other school out there. What they do, however, is ask students who perform less well to have some extra board study first. You may say that skews the scores, but wouldn't you want your school to do what it can to help you succeed? The only people who have had difficulty with passing COMLEX were the ones who didn't listen to what the school told them. They thought that they knew better... and were proven wrong.

What PBL really does, though, is prepare you better for COMLEX than any other system. You learn basic sciences from a clinical context and are tested that way from the very beginning. You come into the first day of PBL and discuss a patient that has signs and symptoms and you learn the biochemistry, anatomy, physiology, genetics, pharmacology, etc. that give that clinical presentation. You have 3 to 4 four-hour long tests each semester that are almost exactly like COMLEX, only harder. If you can pass your PBL class, then you will likely pass COMLEX, because it's easier.

Not only does this help with COMLEX, though. In your first rotation of third year you will be a lot more confident because you have seen a lot of the diagnoses already, worked them up, ordered tests, read the x-rays and ekgs, and treated them in PBL.

I still can remember a lot of the cases from PBL when I admit patients today.

You know, I may have even said this before in this thread since it is several years old, but Lecom-B doesn't stop anyone from taking COMLEX as long as they pass all their classes-- just like every other school out there. What they do, however, is ask students who perform less well to have some extra board study first. You may say that skews the scores, but wouldn't you want your school to do what it can to help you succeed? The only people who have had difficulty with passing COMLEX were the ones who didn't listen to what the school told them. They thought that they knew better... and were proven wrong.

What PBL really does, though, is prepare you better for COMLEX than any other system. You learn basic sciences from a clinical context and are tested that way from the very beginning. You come into the first day of PBL and discuss a patient that has signs and symptoms and you learn the biochemistry, anatomy, physiology, genetics, pharmacology, etc. that give that clinical presentation. You have 3 to 4 four-hour long tests each semester that are almost exactly like COMLEX, only harder. If you can pass your PBL class, then you will likely pass COMLEX, because it's easier.

Not only does this help with COMLEX, though. In your first rotation of third year you will be a lot more confident because you have seen a lot of the diagnoses already, worked them up, ordered tests, read the x-rays and ekgs, and treated them in PBL.

I still can remember a lot of the cases from PBL when I admit patients today.

agreed :thumbup:

These stats are missing a crucial piece: dates. A 95% pass rate in a year when the national average is 98% is much worse than a 93% pass rate in a year when the national average is 90%. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

NYCOM:
PCSOM:
UMDNJ: