The Cost of California Pharmacy Education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunbuRxt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I've gone ahead and made a completely new thread for the post I made in the USC thread.

https://pharmacyschool.usc.edu/programs/pharmd/pharmdprogram/cost/

Here is USC's listed Cost of Attendance.

I've gone ahead and calculated what it would cost living at home and living away for 4 years.

Year 1:

Living at Home:
$60,472.00 with parking and transportation fees included.
Possibly subtract ~100-300 for lower origination fees.

Living Away from Home:
$76,372.00 with parking fees.

Subtract 3,500.00 if you have your own computer already.

Years 2 - 4:

Living at Home:
$56,679.00 with parking fees / year
Subtract ~100-300 for lower origination fees

Living Away from Home:
$72,579.00 with parking fees / year

Grand Total With Compounded Interest:

Living at Home:
~$264350.00

Living Away from Home:
~$337,000.00

With PGY1 Residency and Deferment:
Living at Home:
~$278,889.00

Living Away from Home:
~$355,535.00

So my questions now become, if you want to be a clinical pharmacist, how much do you usually start with in salary? How long does it take to pay off the debt? Is it worth it?

Serious food for thought for some of us California P0's.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you really want to go to pharmacy school I would move to a state that has a good Public institution establish residency (takes a year I think) then apply to your state schools. The costs outweigh the benefits of attending a Cali school. So what I'm saying is don't go to school in California.

Reactions: 1 user
California is too expensive thus I left. Unless you get into UCSF or UCSD, you should leave.

USC is not worth it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
if you live on campus at ucsd or ucsf, the total is similar to usc cost of attendance if you live in la area. Moreover, if you decide to go back to LA, I guess, it's better to attend USC. Am I wrong?

if you live on campus at ucsd or ucsf, the total is similar to usc cost of attendance if you live in la area. Moreover, if you decide to go back to LA, I guess, it's better to attend USC. Am I wrong?
Not worth it. You can do a residency around LA and network then.