The Diagnosis of ADD / ADHD: Diversity Considerations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From the RxP thread.....

Msross makes a fair point about treating diverse populations. The Psychiatry Forum has a good thread that talks about some research that ethnic minority children (AA and possibly more?) are diagnosed and medicated different than their white counterparts. I wish the search feature worked so I could pull it up.

I've done a lot of work (research and clinical) with ADHD children, and it was interesting to see the split between "behavioral problems" and "oh, Johnny has ADHD" when ethnicity is considered. IIRC AA children were less likely to receive an ADD/ADHD Dx and more likely to be labeled a behavioral problem. Additionally, the gender split is telling. More boys than girls are Dx'd with ADD/ADHD, and the "wallflowers" are often left undiagnosed. A complicating factor is the access and motivation to be assessed.

I can pull up some references when I have more time. (T4C is outta here for the night, play nice!:D )

Members don't see this ad.