The dreaded pass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Davmith

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just recently got the dreaded pass for my 3rd year IM rotation... I go to an average school and have average grades (step 1 in upper-220's, mostly HP and pass on 3rd year). One first author publication but not much else. US allopathic.

I tried my best during the rotation, but I guess my attending didn't like me enough. So that brings up 2 problems. First, pass on IM (duh!?). Second, mediocre LOR.

For anyone that had the unpleasant experience of applying to IM with only a pass on IM clerkship... how did it go? Did programs bring up the pass on interviews? Realistically, are most mid-tier programs out of reach?

Really depressed...

Members don't see this ad.

So I just recently got the dreaded pass for my 3rd year IM rotation... I go to an average school and have average grades (step 1 in upper-220's, mostly HP and pass on 3rd year). One first author publication but not much else. US allopathic.

I tried my best during the rotation, but I guess my attending didn't like me enough. So that brings up 2 problems. First, pass on IM (duh!?). Second, mediocre LOR.

For anyone that had the unpleasant experience of applying to IM with only a pass on IM clerkship... how did it go? Did programs bring up the pass on interviews? Realistically, are most mid-tier programs out of reach?

Really depressed...

You're trolling right?

If IM is for sure what you want to do, it'll be okay. I would immediately go talk w/ the program director of your school's IM program and ask for advice. I would schedule Sub-I's very early in the cycle next year (July, August) and do 2 before you turn in your applications. Honor those. Prove to them that you can function at an elite level as an intern. Use your free time int he next 12 months to learn to master internal medicine.

There is really no reason a 4th year cannot function at an intern level. If you can do that, you'll be awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're trolling right?

What makes you think I'm trolling?

@littlealex

I already have my sub-I scheduled early. Unfortunately, my school doesn't turn in 4th year grades (or at least that's what I've been told). But still worth it for the LOR.

Anyone with first hand experience applying to IM with only a pass on the clerkship?

What makes you think I'm trolling?

Dude.

It's IM.

MOST of the people applying to IM will have the horrible "pass" on their transcript.

You will be fine.

I can tell this might be a very neurotic year. It's too bad I can't take up drinking anymore.

I went into the app process with a similar situation (pass in medicine and no sub-I grade from an average school), so I know how you're probably feeling right now...but try not to stress out too much. What's done is done. Just focus on doing well for the rest of your rotations and try to get strong letters from your Sub-I and any medicine electives. Keep in mind that you can also get an LOR from another specialty if necessary (I actually got one from peds). Taking step 2 early and rockin' it will also help. Long story short, mid-tier places won't really care about a pass in your IM clerkship. I got interviews at every mid-tier joint I applied to and even 1 or 2 from more top tier places. Feel free to PM if you have more questions. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Dude.

It's IM.

MOST of the people applying to IM will have the horrible "pass" on their transcript.

You will be fine.

I can tell this might be a very neurotic year. It's too bad I can't take up drinking anymore.

Why can't you take up drinking?