The Etiquette of Staying with a Med Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KaraKiz

I'm Ron Burgundy?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a question of manners really: I can arrive in San Francisco at 11 am or at 8 pm on the day before my interview (flying from DC). If I find a med student to stay with, is it ok to ask her if I can leave my bags at her place and go sightseeing the day before my interview? I don't want to overstay my welcome and annoy her by asking her to meet me earlier in the day to store my crap, but from my perspective, I kind of want to know a little more about SF if I'm going to be thinking about moving there. The 11am flight is also a little cheaper.

Is this totally selfish and a bad idea to bring up, or is it going to be a personal preference on her part? If I want to sightsee, should I just stay another day and get a hotel room? What would you think if I asked you to meet me during lunch to store my bags and was planning on coming back and staying with you that night? I am taking all of my stuff with me the morning of the interview to catch a flight afterwards.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Members don't see this ad.

Here's a question of manners really: I can arrive in San Francisco at 11 am or at 8 pm on the day before my interview (flying from DC). If I find a med student to stay with, is it ok to ask her if I can leave my bags at her place and go sightseeing the day before my interview? I don't want to overstay my welcome and annoy her by asking her to meet me earlier in the day to store my crap, but from my perspective, I kind of want to know a little more about SF if I'm going to be thinking about moving there. The 11am flight is also a little cheaper.

Is this totally selfish and a bad idea to bring up, or is it going to be a personal preference on her part? If I want to sightsee, should I just stay another day and get a hotel room? What would you think if I asked you to meet me during lunch to store my bags and was planning on coming back and staying with you that night? I am taking all of my stuff with me the morning of the interview to catch a flight afterwards.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

I think it kind of depends on how close to school your host lives. If it's 10 minutes driving each way for him/her to meet you and let you store your bags, then it's kind of difficult. On the other hand, if they live within walking distance OR if you ask if you can meet them at school and drop your bags in your host's car then I think that's fine.

11 am is not too terribly early.

If your host has a problem with holding on to your bags for an extra day, then he/she has a major stick up his/her ass.

Please keep in mind the hosts are volunteers; I doubt they'll have a problem accomodating your desire to sightsee an extra day.

Members don't see this ad :)
11 am is not too terribly early.

If your host has a problem with holding on to your bags for an extra day, then he/she has a major stick up his/her ass.

Please keep in mind the hosts are volunteers; I doubt they'll have a problem accomodating your desire to sightsee an extra day.

I don't know if you can expect the host to necessarilly be available at your schedule, so you really want to ask them what works for them. They may have classes or meetings or things they need to be at during the day, and you sort of need to work around their schedule. They are agreeing to let you crash at their place, but not necessarilly going to revamp their schedule for you.

I would also imagine that the admissions office might be able to hold your bags for you if you could get to and from the school ala taxi etc. that way you would be on campus in the afternoon to meet your host.

If you bring your host beer, they will be happier

I don't think it is a problem for most of us but if it is for your particular host, you can usually leave your bags at the Admission office.

If I had to write a book on being the perfect guest, here's what I would say based on my experience as a host.......

*Don't count on me to feed you when you arrive at my place. Some med students don't have food at their place because they are rarely there to begin with. Arrive already fed. If you do arrive hungry, don't comment on the food that I can offer you.

*When you take a shower, put the shower curtain inside the bath tub. That way the water will stay in the bath tub and not all over my bathroom floor. If you do flood my floor, please mop it off.

*Please clean up after yourself. That includes leaving the room the same way it was before you arrive. Trash, if you produce any, goes in a garbage can and not on the floor.

*Don't be arrogant. Yeah, I know, this is your back-up school and you are just coming back from a great interview in a top school. But guess what, I still may see you next year!

*In case of doubt, ask! Don't assume I have an iron! I buy only clothes if I know that I will never have to iron them!

*Don't assume that I have all the mousse, gels, hairspray, cream, lotion, oils, jelly....you need to make yourself look presentable.

cologist... GREAT post with some good points, however, sounds like you have some experience ;)

PLEASE DO NOT DO WHAT MY GUEST DID--->>>>>>>>

I cleaned up my apartment and it took several hours...scrubbed the floors, the tub, the toilet, everything. I washed up some sheets so she could have some fresh ones and made a bed for her. I even bought some extra cokes/snacks and stuff so she would have them.

WHAT DOES SHE DO?????

she comes over, drops her stuff off, then comes back a couple hours later and says, "well...i made some friends just now in town and I think I'm going to go over there instead tonight, thanks anyway" and just leaves like that.

I know i'm overreacting but jeeze. I went to all that trouble for nothing!:mad:

I cleaned up my apartment and it took several hours...scrubbed the floors, the tub, the toilet, everything. I washed up some sheets so she could have some fresh ones and made a bed for her. I even bought some extra cokes/snacks and stuff so she would have them.

WHAT DOES SHE DO?????

she comes over, drops her stuff off, then comes back a couple hours later and says, "well...i made some friends just now in town and I think I'm going to go over there instead tonight, thanks anyway" and just leaves like that.

wow... that almost warrents an email to the admissions office. that's incredibly rude.

Also makes me wonder what kind of people she ended up staying with. Maybe she didn't understand the full details of their offer, was she dressed like a "working girl" when she left?

No way I'd let some random person I met on a street corner crash at my place.

WHAT DOES SHE DO?????

i would have definitely complained to the admissions office. that is completely unprofessional and rude!