The FDA is protecting the public...from the fix for the nation's leading cause of disability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GH253

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Osteoarthritis is the nation's leading cause of disability. It affects a huge percentage of the population and leads to a drastically diminished quality of life, and probably shortens life as well due to complications from the resultant enforced inactivity and reliance on NSAIDs. It's a truly devastating problem, and the existing treatment options are inadequate.

Now, a new technology offers hope for millions of OA suffers. Renowned bioengineer Dr. Kyriacos Athanasiou, Chairman of the Department of Bioengineering at UC Davis, having spent several decades working on the problem of articular cartilage, has developed the technology to biologically resurface arthritic joints using engineered biological articular cartilage fabricated in-vitro, and has succeeded in using it to resurface the joints of animals in the laboratory. This advance represents the first true "fix" for the nation's leading cause of disability.

cartilage.png

Video (his part starts at 20:00):

Having osteoarthritis myself, I recently contacted Dr. Athanasiou to inquire about the status of this technology. His gracious, albeit heartbreaking reply clearly illustrates the true effect of government regulation of biotechnology—rather than protecting consumers from charlatans, it cripples and altogether shuts down vital, game-changing innvotions made by the best and brightest scientists humanity has to offer.

I've pasted the relevant excerpts from my exchange with him below (his replies are in bold text):
_________

Dear Brian,
Below in your original email you will find very brief responses. I am sorry in advance that I cannot provide fuller responses to such inquiries. The best of health.
Kyriacos (Kerry)
Kyriacos A. Athanasiou, Ph.D., P.E.
Distinguished Professor of Biomedical Engineering and Orthopaedic Surgery
Child Family Professor of Engineering University of California Davis
Editor-in-Chief, Annals of Biomedical Engineering *****@ucdavis.edu http://bme.ucdavis.edu/people/depart...ty/athanasiou/ (BME) http://www.bme.ucdavis.edu/athanasioulab/ (lab) http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/orthopa...asp?bioid=1481 (Orthopaedic Surgery)

On 7/2/2015 4:26 PM, Brian ***** wrote:

What is the status of tissue engineering with respect to the goal of resurfacing entire joints afflicted with OA? In a 2012 speech at the UC Davis Stem Cell Dialogues, you announced that your lab has succeeded in creating the entire articular surface of a human distal femur; however, your book “Articular Cartilage” published the following year states that there is still no successful tissue engineering approach to treating OA. Can you explain the apparent contradiction? Will your “HyCart” product include constructs capable of resurfacing whole joints as opposed to ones intended to repair focal defects only? And if biological whole-joint repair it isn’t already on the horizon, can you comment on whether you see it as a future likelihood and how distant the prospect is? Is it a goal of yours?

I am not pursuing commercialization of any products currently. In the lab we have been able to resurface entire joints of animals, but we have not done so beyond the lab. It is a goal of ours but with the way the FDA requirements are it will take a long time to achieve. The reason is that engineered biological tissue is one of the most complicated pursuits in terms of regulatory processes. I am glad that the FDA has rules and regulations; it is just this particular objective is one of the most difficult ones to pursue. Because of the regulatory complications, there is no funding by investors toward this goal (they prefer snapchat and facebook). I cannot provide any timelines for commercialization.

I am deeply concerned that that regulatory burdens will delay patient access to tissue engineering and regenerative therapies for long after they become technologically feasible. My understanding is that the FDA considers every diseased joint a discrete “indication,” implying that biological joint resurfacing products may have to go through separate approval processes for all of the different joints in which they are to be used. If this is the case, it seems that there is likely to be a very long wait before a tissue engineering therapy for OA can be used anywhere in the body it is needed. Is this inference correct, or do you see a way around this?

I guess I anticipated this question in my answer 1 above. I share your opinion fully

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To those of you who would answer this with something along the line of "society must protect its most vulnerable members" or "rigorous testing is needed to ensure the public safety," all I can say is that I hope you get arthritis so that you can sit around debilitated with no cure for what ails you while life passes you by so that you can experience first-hand the joy of knowing that the government is protecting you from your only hope of returning to normalcy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user