The Florida Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meadow36

UF CVM 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of people have applied to UF and the latest news is that they will be sending out interview notifications on Feb 15th so I wanted to start a thread just for us!!:p

Any news, comments, etc. about UF please post here.

I am in-state and having an anxiety attack while waiting for news. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I know a lot of people have applied to UF and the latest news is that they will be sending out interview notifications on Feb 15th so I wanted to start a thread just for us!!:p

OK .. pretend it is an emergency. What is the FIRST thing you do in an emergency?

"Check your own pulse." - Emergency Medicine Resident, FVS

Consider yourself lucky...your letter has less of a way to travel!! Mine has to get all the way to Pennsylvania!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Consider yourself lucky...your letter has less of a way to travel!! Mine has to get all the way to Pennsylvania!!

I live in Gville so mine doesnt even have to leave the city! SCORE!

Just wanted to bump this up ... hang on guys letters should be coming soon!!! :)

What is the FIRST thing you do in an emergency?

"Check your own pulse." - Emergency Medicine Resident, FVS

I LOVE IT! HAHAHAHAHHA:lol:

12 days......

and somewhere, a squirrel rustles in the leaves.....

12 days......

and somewhere, a squirrel rustles in the leaves.....
I had to bottle feed an infant flying squirrel throughout the night sometime last week, and wish I could have asked you to do it.

If they actually do mail on Friday, I should get mine on Tues. Mail takes 2 days from where I am...and Monday's a holiday! :eek: Those darn Presidents!!!

If they actually do mail on Friday, I should get mine on Tues. Mail takes 2 days from where I am...and Monday's a holiday! :eek: Those darn Presidents!!!

Well the email did say "Please be advised that the letters pertaining to the status of your application are scheduled to be sent via regular mail by February 15th, 2008."

So they should definitely be mailed by Friday! Friday is also the day the undergraduate school announces acceptances and they are usually pretty timely! My week is going super slow!

The veterinary school application process has really made me loathe federal holidays!! :laugh:

Well the email did say "Please be advised that the letters pertaining to the status of your application are scheduled to be sent via regular mail by February 15th, 2008."

So they should definitely be mailed by Friday! Friday is also the day the undergraduate school announces acceptances and they are usually pretty timely! My week is going super slow!

Remember, keep an eye on your own pulse first :)

On another note, how's prices per acre of land up that way? I have an eye on some in Newberry and High Springs areas that seem to be at $13-15k an acre - that about right?

If I get an interview, perhaps we can touch base and shake paws? I'll buy you a beer.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I get an interview, perhaps we can touch base and shake paws? I'll buy you a beer.

Huummm huuummmm...I like beer over here too!!!

That price per acre sounds about right.

So here's to Tuesday. ARGRHGRHGRHRGR :eek:

Yeah that sounds about right. Land and property in general is relatively cheap here, well atleast compared to South Florida prices that I grew up with. Except the new luxury condos they are putting up everywhere near the campus that cost an arm and a leg. Youd think with the current economy they would build less but nope. In the last 2 years they have put up about 7 buildings of condos ranging from 300k each to 1million each and they are looking to build more.

I am also applying to florida and im in state as well im down in hollywood.. im so nervous i just want to know one way or the other so that i can plan the next year of my life :oops:

I got my interview invitation packet in the mail today! (2/15/08)...The wait is finally over!

I got my interview invitation packet in the mail today! (2/15/08)...The wait is finally over!
Aww I just checked the mail and nothing! I live 3 blocks from campus lol! Hopefully tomorrow.

:eek:

Gator, do you live in G'ville??? What was the postmark date?/ ARARAGHGAHAAGARARARHAAGHAGA I can't handle this tension!

:eek:

Gator, do you live in G'ville??? What was the postmark date?/ ARARAGHGAHAAGARARARHAAGHAGA I can't handle this tension!

Lol philo Im right their with ya! This last day of waiting is eating me up!

I saw a person outside of ANS156 jumping for joy today when she hung up her cell phone. She was estatic that a packet from UF had arrived so quickly!

They're on their way!

BC atleast you know where I stand as of now! See you at practice monday.

Hey Bakaduin,

I can't believe how calm you are, especially living in G-ville! If I was waiting for this letter, I'd be jumping out of my skin by now!

On a side note, what about roller skating tomorrow? BTW, bowling was amazing...

Hey Bakaduin,

I can't believe how calm you are, especially living in G-ville! If I was waiting for this letter, I'd be jumping out of my skin by now!

On a side note, what about roller skating tomorrow? BTW, bowling was amazing...

I forgot about skating tomorrow yeah Ill be going. Any idea what time we are meeting up? Believe me the nerves have fully kicked in, but youll get to experience it soon enough. Im spending my day half worried and half nauseous.

The letter came. I got an interview last year, but didn't get one this year.

:(

poop

I am so sorry Philo!!! I was rooting for you!!! Keep your head up!

I just got my interview notification in the mail!

Bakaduin and Gatorvet,

Congratulations on your interviews! I knew you'd get an interview Bakaduin! Hopefully I'll be in your shoes in just 1 year from now!

PS- Roller skating @ 3:00...location________?

My mail just came and I didn't get any letter yet. Bummer.

Philo, I'm still rooting for you.

Philo, I'm so sorry. I'm about to go down to the mailbox right now and check (although I'm scared to death!!)

Rejected. Well that's it, all three schools rejected me. Six months of waiting, stressing, scraping up money to get this done - all ends in the toilet.

Rejected. Well that's it, all three schools rejected me. Six months of waiting, stressing, scraping up money to get this done - all ends in the toilet.

Don't be so harsh on yourself! There's ALWAYS next year. I know there's probably no comfort in what anyone will say to you at the moment, but don't give up on your goal! You know the drill: talk to adcom to find weaknesses in your app, apply to more schools next year, etc. You can do it - don't give up!

Ok, so I've decided that I'm the alternate queen! I just got my letter and I'm on the alternate interview list. I think I have a good chance because the list only consists of 20 IS applicants and adcom will start choosing from this list as OOS applicants reject interviews. So all of you OOS UF applicants who already got an acceptance somewhere else and an interview to UF and don't want it, hurry up and reject it! Please! :D

Ok, so I've decided that I'm the alternate queen! I just got my letter and I'm on the alternate interview list. I think I have a good chance because the list only consists of 20 IS applicants and adcom will start choosing from this list as OOS applicants reject interviews. So all of you OOS UF applicants who already got an acceptance somewhere else and an interview to UF and don't want it, hurry up and reject it! Please! :D

Nole, if it makes you feel any better, I was on the larernate list for an interview last year and did get one.

But please excuse me if I am not so thrilled about UF right now and didn't get one this year. WTF!?!?!?

Got my interview invite today :). Interview on March 8.

Nole, if it makes you feel any better, I was on the larernate list for an interview last year and did get one.

Well, that makes me feel a little better! I mean, there's only 20 people on the list, so I think my chances are pretty good.

But please excuse me if I am not so thrilled about UF right now and didn't get one this year. WTF!?!?!?

Sorry... but don't give up! :luck:

Grrr.... UF is so frustrating! I got my "dear john" letter in the mail today.... at my parents' house! That's not even the main address that I had listed in my application.
Hard to believe I went from being alternate for c/o 2011 to not getting an interview this year. :(

Grrr.... UF is so frustrating! I got my "dear john" letter in the mail today.... at my parents' house! That's not even the main address that I had listed in my application.
Hard to believe I went from being alternate for c/o 2011 to not getting an interview this year. :(
:mad:WHAT?:thumbdown:

WHAT!?!?!?!?! I'm right there with ya. :mad:

How do you go from being good enough last year if a spot open up to not getting an interview? I know there's no guarantees, but this sucks.

I'm so sorry philo and others...There really doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it all.

Yet another reason to take up drinking:mad:

It seems as if this would be fairly uncommon -- to get waitlisted one year, and no interview the next -- obviously (a) UF are complete .... i think poopy heads was mentioned and (b) WTF!?!??!

I have to ask, did you do a file review either of you? Although, if I got waitlisted I don't think I would have asked for a file review ... should you?

This is just another prime example of our complete lack of information and intuition when it comes to adcoms.

I am really starting to hate presidents b/c there is no mail on Monday!!!!!

I did to a file review, but not until late August/beginning of September. Didn't find out until early to mid-July that I was rejected, but by then I was working full time at a camp and had a hard time getting time off during the week. Then I couldn't get an appointment until late because the dean was busy planning the new small animal hospital and cancer center. blah.

Oh well. Like my mom says, fate keeps giving me signs that Edinburgh is the school for me. = )

Oh well. Like my mom says, fate keeps giving me signs that Edinburgh is the school for me. = )

I am right there with you....Scotland here we come!

It seems as if this would be fairly uncommon -- to get waitlisted one year, and no interview the next -- obviously (a) UF are complete .... i think poopy heads was mentioned and (b) WTF!?!??!

The way UF works is they rank people solely based on a point total. The first get your app and rank everyone based on 6 criterion, GPA, GRE, Letters of Rec, Personal Statement, Intangibles, and Experience. So basically they get about 900 applicants and the top ranked ~200 get an interview notice. After the interview roughly the top 90 get an acceptance. In order to become an alternate one year and not get an interview the next this is my best guess at what happened. In one year youd be close to ~200 in ranking and you get an interview. I believe the interview then counts for 40%. So, you do amazing on the interview, which speaks volumes about how awesome you are as a person, and it bumps you up above quite a few people and puts you in the range to be an alternate. Consequently the next year there are a few more better paper apps and so you get pushed off the interview list. Really its just all a numbers game. Its a shame that UF puts so much stock into that portion of the app without seeing how you are in reality because to be an alternate the interviewers must have really loved you to jump you that many spots.

I would agree with your assessment of what happened .. I guess that the number of points needed to qualify one for an interview was higher then this year? That pretty much just sucks ... you think they would take dedication and previous record into account ... like the fact that annaig was waitlisted the previous year. Stupid adcoms.