The follow up: cvs v. walmart

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

destinedforgreatness2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone! thanks to everyone for the advice on my original thread. Just received the offer for walmart. My only concern is burning bridges with CVS if I decided to leave, especially since it seems as if CVS is buying everyone lol. Any advice on how to best approach leaving my current situation if I do decide to take the offer? Would you take a floater position at Walmart over a staff position at CVS? Also what about the error rate policy and Bentonville? Thanks for the advice everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Two weeks notice. Don't air any grievances. Just be professional and it's not big deal. If anyone asks, the new position just fits your needs better.

Reactions: 1 user
Two weeks notice. Don't air any grievances. Just be professional and it's not big deal. If anyone asks, the new position just fits your needs better.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think it's worth it to leave a full time staff position at cvs for a full time floater position at Walmart?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. Do you think it's worth it to leave a full time staff position at cvs for a full time floater position at Walmart?
I don't think I'm the best one to give advice for this situation. I've only ever worked in hospital pharmacy. However, if I were to pool the general opinion of SDN I would think it's safe to assume that CVS is the worst choice in any scenario.

Would you take a floater position at Walmart over a staff position at CVS? Also what about the error rate policy and Bentonville? Thanks for the advice everyone!

Depends on a lot of variables. What kind of store, technicians, and pharmacy manager would you have at CVS--because in spite of any employer, its your direct co-workers who will really make or break a job. And with being a floater, which is the distance you have to float? Gas and wear and tear on vehicles is a financial cost you need to consider. The other issue is lifestyle, presumably at CVS you would have a regular, predictable schedule. As a floater, you could work any hours, any days, would not have any predictable days off, and may have your schedule suddenly changed at the last minute due to someone's illness/medical leave.

With Wal-Mart's error policy, it sounds pretty heavy handed to me (there is a long thread here from a few years ago where someone who was fired listed their 4 errors, 1 which included filling Vivelle regular for Vivelle dot, and not catching 1 wrong capsule mixed into a bottle with all the correct capsules.) Still, I've heard people say that Wal-Marts computer system/workflow minimize the chance of errors, more so than in other workplaces.

Depends on a lot of variables. What kind of store, technicians, and pharmacy manager would you have at CVS--because in spite of any employer, its your direct co-workers who will really make or break a job. And with being a floater, which is the distance you have to float? Gas and wear and tear on vehicles is a financial cost you need to consider. The other issue is lifestyle, presumably at CVS you would have a regular, predictable schedule. As a floater, you could work any hours, any days, would not have any predictable days off, and may have your schedule suddenly changed at the last minute due to someone's illness/medical leave.

With Wal-Mart's error policy, it sounds pretty heavy handed to me (there is a long thread here from a few years ago where someone who was fired listed their 4 errors, 1 which included filling Vivelle regular for Vivelle dot, and not catching 1 wrong capsule mixed into a bottle with all the correct capsules.) Still, I've heard people say that Wal-Marts computer system/workflow minimize the chance of errors, more so than in other workplaces.

Thank you so much. The district isn't too big so the most I would have to travel would be an 1 hr or so. You made some really good points !

let us know how you like walmart after you've been there for a month or two

Bad experience? I need all the advice I can get lol
no, I've heard positive things about people switching to Walmart, just interested in more opinions since there are openings in my town and friends there have encouraged me to switch. I'm not necessarily unhappy at the moment though

Walmart is a good company to work for. I have been with them for 6 years now. They treat the pharmacists much better than what I have heard about at CVS. When the pharmacists work a full day by themselves, we close the pharmacy for lunch from 1:30-2. At CVS you could be looking at a 14 hour shift with no other coverage and no lunch break. If a customer walks up while you are trying to eat, you have to drop what your doing to help them at CVS. Walmart is one of the higher paying employers. IF you are a floating pharmacist, more than likely you will be able to get a spot at a store as a partner or pharmacy manager if you want it, depending on your location and DM. I hope this helps!

P.S. The Walmart system is very good and I have only seen one pharmacist have to go to Bentonville for RX errors

E="DthePharmtoB, post: 16618877, member: 700824"]Walmart is a good company to work for. I have been with them for 6 years now. They treat the pharmacists much better than what I have heard about at CVS. When the pharmacists work a full day by themselves, we close the pharmacy for lunch from 1:30-2. At CVS you could be looking at a 14 hour shift with no other coverage and no lunch break. If a customer walks up while you are trying to eat, you have to drop what your doing to help them at CVS. Walmart is one of the higher paying employers. IF you are a floating pharmacist, more than likely you will be able to get a spot at a store as a partner or pharmacy manager if you want it, depending on your location and DM. I hope this helps!

P.S. The Walmart system is very good and I have only seen one pharmacist have to go to Bentonville for RX errors[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I appreciate your advice. As a new grad, I just wanted to know more about that particular policy, as it makes me a bit nervous. This helped a lot.

Walmart is a good company to work for. I have been with them for 6 years now. They treat the pharmacists much better than what I have heard about at CVS. When the pharmacists work a full day by themselves, we close the pharmacy for lunch from 1:30-2. At CVS you could be looking at a 14 hour shift with no other coverage and no lunch break. If a customer walks up while you are trying to eat, you have to drop what your doing to help them at CVS. Walmart is one of the higher paying employers. IF you are a floating pharmacist, more than likely you will be able to get a spot at a store as a partner or pharmacy manager if you want it, depending on your location and DM. I hope this helps!

P.S. The Walmart system is very good and I have only seen one pharmacist have to go to Bentonville for RX errors

Thank you! I appreciate your advice. As a new grad, I just wanted to know more about that particular policy, as it makes me a bit nervous. This helped a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you bring a typed letter of resignation with you as well.

I decided on the walmart offer everyone! However, I have realized that I would like to ask for additional vacation time and I s accepted the offer already. I talked to another grad and she was given more time and we are in the same district. What shall I do?

I decided on the walmart offer everyone! However, I have realized that I would like to ask for additional vacation time and I s accepted the offer already. I talked to another grad and she was given more time and we are in the same district. What shall I do?
Ask for it...

Hi everyone! Does anyone know or is anyone a Walmart floater? I just need some advice on dealing with difficult techs and scheduling. Thanks!

Ask away.

O

Lol what has been your experience as a floater with the company? I'm starting my training and i just would like to know what to expect. Also how is scheduling for you (how far in advance do you know your schedule, etc.) Thanks in advance!

As of today my schedule is written to the end of September. You can ready my old posts complaining about my hours. Are you grad intern or straight to pharmacist?

trailerpark said:
As of today my schedule is written to the end of September. You can ready my old posts complaining about my hours. Are you grad intern or straight to pharmacist?

I just got licensed so straight to pharmacist but I will still be training for the time period a grad intern would train because I'm new to practicing.

I did relief work for Wal-Mart for 10 years and enjoyed it. I think you will find Wal-Mart to be about as good a chain for which to work as any. As far as working with all sorts of different people, I rarely had any problems. Just concentrate on your job and everything should fall into place. Wal-Mart will pay for the time you travel and a certain amount per mile, which can add up to a good little bit of money. They do have a good computer system. They have quite a few rules. Those rules are designed to protect you and the company. So, follow their rules! They have quite a number of things in place to reduce errors. They seem to concentrate a lot on preventing errors. So, DON'T RUSH at your job. Fill prescriptions, concentrating on accuracy. You may find yourself with long lines of people waiting for their prescriptions. I have come to a point where I don't let this bother me. I just plug along at my job. Don't worry about lines of people, complaining people, or rude people. These things are just a part of the job. You cannot make everyone happy. Just do your job in a resonable, efficient, and timely manner. Again, don't rush! If you rush, or you try to push the system, you will start having errors and it will take you longer to fill prescriptions. Let the system feed you your work. In the past, I tried to get each person standing at the window out as quickly as possible. But, since Wal-Mart implemented a new, and more time consuming bagging system, I cannot get these folks out in what I term a timely manner. So, I just let the computer feed me the rx's to check and the people have to wait for ever how long it takes for their prescriptions to go through the system. Again, don't try to shortcut the system and get people out quicker. This only increases the chances of errors and makes your job more difficult. You will find that stores and techs vary widely. You will have some new techs that don't know much and you will have some seasoned techs. There may be a few stores in your district in which no pharmacists want to work. You being the new person on the totem pole, you may be handed some of these. Just plug a long at the job until you get enough seniority that you think you can turn down going to these stores. Don't break the law for ANYONE! Wal-Mart, as a company, wants you to abide by all laws. They want you to counsel. Don't let a patient, a store manager, or a DM try to talk you into doing something wrong. It is highly unlikely that anyone working for the company will try to get you to break the law. Also, be very careful about things you bring to the pharmacy and things you take from the pharmacy. Wal-Mart has a seperate division called Loss Prevention. Make sure that you don't do anything that might look like you are stealing. If loss prevention catches someone stealing, they are gone from Wal-Mart and no one can get them their job back. I am talking about something as small as a pack of gum. They will fire you over it. I am not trying to scare you, but to let you know how things are within Wal-Mart. I think you will find Wal-Mart to be a good chain for which to work. This does not mean they are the best place to work. I think a good independent is probably the best place to work. But, independents are dwindling and for the future I think Wal-Mart would provide more job security and better benefits.

I did relief work for Wal-Mart for 10 years and enjoyed it. I think you will find Wal-Mart to be about as good a chain for which to work as any. As far as working with all sorts of different people, I rarely had any problems. Just concentrate on your job and everything should fall into place. Wal-Mart will pay for the time you travel and a certain amount per mile, which can add up to a good little bit of money. They do have a good computer system. They have quite a few rules. Those rules are designed to protect you and the company. So, follow their rules! They have quite a number of things in place to reduce errors. They seem to concentrate a lot on preventing errors. So, DON'T RUSH at your job. Fill prescriptions, concentrating on accuracy. You may find yourself with long lines of people waiting for their prescriptions. I have come to a point where I don't let this bother me. I just plug along at my job. Don't worry about lines of people, complaining people, or rude people. These things are just a part of the job. You cannot make everyone happy. Just do your job in a resonable, efficient, and timely manner. Again, don't rush! If you rush, or you try to push the system, you will start having errors and it will take you longer to fill prescriptions. Let the system feed you your work. In the past, I tried to get each person standing at the window out as quickly as possible. But, since Wal-Mart implemented a new, and more time consuming bagging system, I cannot get these folks out in what I term a timely manner. So, I just let the computer feed me the rx's to check and the people have to wait for ever how long it takes for their prescriptions to go through the system. Again, don't try to shortcut the system and get people out quicker. This only increases the chances of errors and makes your job more difficult. You will find that stores and techs vary widely. You will have some new techs that don't know much and you will have some seasoned techs. There may be a few stores in your district in which no pharmacists want to work. You being the new person on the totem pole, you may be handed some of these. Just plug a long at the job until you get enough seniority that you think you can turn down going to these stores. Don't break the law for ANYONE! Wal-Mart, as a company, wants you to abide by all laws. They want you to counsel. Don't let a patient, a store manager, or a DM try to talk you into doing something wrong. It is highly unlikely that anyone working for the company will try to get you to break the law. Also, be very careful about things you bring to the pharmacy and things you take from the pharmacy. Wal-Mart has a seperate division called Loss Prevention. Make sure that you don't do anything that might look like you are stealing. If loss prevention catches someone stealing, they are gone from Wal-Mart and no one can get them their job back. I am talking about something as small as a pack of gum. They will fire you over it. I am not trying to scare you, but to let you know how things are within Wal-Mart. I think you will find Wal-Mart to be a good chain for which to work. This does not mean they are the best place to work. I think a good independent is probably the best place to work. But, independents are dwindling and for the future I think Wal-Mart would provide more job security and better benefits.

Thank you so much. Yes I am aware of those policies and I am a little nervous about the error one but I will be diligent in being accurate. Imma Learn as much as I possibly can. Stealing is NEVER an option for me. This has been very helpful.

I've never seen it first hand, but heard a lot of stories about people being abruptly fired.

Thank you so much. Yes I am aware of those policies and I am a little nervous about the error one but I will be diligent in being accurate. Imma Learn as much as I possibly can. Stealing is NEVER an option for me. This has been very helpful.

So... what did you decide? Are you going for Walmart? Or staying with CVS? My understanding is that CVS pays a little more than Walmart. There are many things to consider here. As you know, CVS just bought Target pharmacies as well as Navarro pharmacies in Florida. I guess I do not know your situation that well. I just know that floating simply is not for me. Some people love it. I just can't walk into a new place every time and be the new guy every day. It drives me up the wall.

Tell us more... What did Walmart offer you vs. CVS? Is it more pay? People also mentioned 14 hour shifts at CVS and I know for a fact that they max you'll ever be at a store is 13 hours. Walgreens, on the other hand, increased to 12 hour shifts and people are just not happy with it.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Last edited:
So... what did you decide? Are you going for Walmart? Or staying with CVS? My understanding is that CVS pays a lot more than Walmart. There are many things to consider here. As you know, CVS just bought Target pharmacies as well as Navarro pharmacies in Florida. I guess I do not know your situation that well. I just know that floating simply is not for me. Some people love it. I just can't walk into a new place every time and be the new guy every day. It drives me up the wall.

Tell us more... What did Walmart offer you vs. CVS? Is it more pay? People also mentioned 14 hour shifts at CVS and I know for a fact that they max you'll ever be at a store is 13 hours. Walgreens, on the other hand, increased to 12 hour shifts and people are just not happy with it.

Best,

Apotheker2015

What salary differences have you seen with CVS and Walmart.

What salary differences have you seen with CVS and Walmart.

From what I remember I believe Walmart offered 58/hour? and CVS offered 60/hour. So CVS was 124,800/year based on a 40 hour workweek. Walgreens offer was 119,800 based on a 40 hour workweek. I guess they are all about the same. I had to go through my emails to find the offers.
CVS 60/hour
Walmart 58/hour
Walgreens ~58/hour

Last edited:

I guess there isn't much of a difference. CVS > Walmart = Walgreens. All 3 have very sophisticated computer systems. Walgreens also requires that you float during your first year. I think it is 50 miles in any direction from where you live. So you end up getting shifts that no one wants in any location within 50 miles from your home. I have heard of people having to drive way more than 50 miles. Walgreens calls their floats "market pharmacists". It's just not for me.

Last edited:
So... what did you decide? Are you going for Walmart? Or staying with CVS? My understanding is that CVS pays a little more than Walmart. There are many things to consider here. As you know, CVS just bought Target pharmacies as well as Navarro pharmacies in Florida. I guess I do not know your situation that well. I just know that floating simply is not for me. Some people love it. I just can't walk into a new place every time and be the new guy every day. It drives me up the wall.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Walmart offered more than CVS did by 2 dollars/hr. I chose Walmart due to work life balance, overall satisfaction, and some other factors. I felt like I wouldn't enjoy being a pharmacist with CVS and that it would be too much for me. I don't mind floating as well.

Walmart offered more than CVS did by 2 dollars/hr. I chose Walmart due to work life balance, overall satisfaction, and some other factors. I felt like I wouldn't enjoy being a pharmacist with CVS and that it would be too much for me. I don't mind floating as well.

Hey destinedforgreatness2015,

congrats! It sounds like you found a place that offers you that. And you are right, work life balance means different things to different people. To some it means working shorter shifts several days a week. To me, it means working longer shifts, clump all my hours in 3-4 days, be done with it and then having several days in a row.

And way to go on negotiating 2 dollars more off Walmart. In my area, Walmart's offers were consistently 58/hour and CVS also gave everyone the same standard letter offering either 60/hour or 124,800 based on a 40 hour workweek.

Best,

Apotheker2015

CVS offered 53 an hour in Pennsylvania for class of 2014 maybe cause that state is so saturated?

CVS offered 53 an hour in Pennsylvania for class of 2014 maybe cause that state is so saturated?

53/hour? No one should be accepting an offer like that. The whole point of going through hell and putting up with backstabbing pharmacy students was to make well over 100K and that is 60+ per hour. Come on...

I have another question:how do you deal with making sure you follow the strict sop guidelines and enforce that with the store you at on a particular day? I'm nervous the more I read about it.

From what I remember I believe Walmart offered 58/hour? and CVS offered 60/hour. So CVS was 124,800/year based on a 40 hour workweek. Walgreens offer was 119,800 based on a 40 hour workweek. I guess they are all about the same. I had to go through my emails to find the offers.
CVS 60/hour
Walmart 58/hour
Walgreens ~58/hour

What state are those numbers?

I have another question:how do you deal with making sure you follow the strict sop guidelines and enforce that with the store you at on a particular day? I'm nervous the more I read about it.
At other stores I just try to do the SOPs the best as I can for myself and I don't worry about how the techs are doing them.

Walmart RPh's: Does anyone know how to upload a resume/CV into the WIRE and internally apply for a position? One just opened up and I wouldn't have to float! PLEASE HELP! Thanks in advance! @trailerpark

Last edited:
I'm not aware of being able to do that. Have you worked at that store before?

I'm not aware of being able to do that. Have you worked at that store before?
I'm still in training so not yyet but it happens to be my homestore. Also, how was your training experience? (i.e. finishing the training plan, finishing cbls, etc.)

Last edited:
CVS does tend to give solid raises first few years if you have low salary as long as you hit Meets Expectations or Exceeds. $53/hr is low no matter how you look at it.

Then I'd assume you would be offered it. Do the other pharmacists like you?

[Qtrailerpark, post: 16810929, member: 549863"]Then I'd assume you would be offered it. Do the other pharmacists like you?[/QUOTE]
I havent met them yet so. Lol. I'm just in the beginning stages of training.

So how do you know you would even want to work there. Trust me not all stores are the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What state?

CVS does tend to give solid raises first few years if you have low salary as long as you hit Meets Expectations or Exceeds. $53/hr is low no matter how you look at it.

53 is very low. 53/hour x 40 hours/week x 52 weeks = 110,240 / year

[Q="trailerpark, post: 16810942, member: 549863"]So how do you know you would even want to work there. Trust me not all stores are the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What state?[/QUOTE]
I'd rather message you

Do any walmart pharmacists know how easy it is to transfer out of the district? I see positions in areas open up in more desirable places and I want to move, but don't exactly know when it's an appropriate time to go about doing so.