The Fourth Wall of Amalgam Condensation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nguyenkimphat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

I was wondering if you could help me with a short question. I was told that, "To restore the class 2 preparation with silver amalgam, a matrix must be used to act as a FOURTH wall during the condensation of the amalgam."

I was wondering - what are the first, second, and third walls in an amalgam class 2 restoration? Why is the matrix considered a FOURTH wall? A wall for what?

Members don't see this ad.

upload_2014-10-25_20-35-41.png

You have three existing walls within the prep after your prepare it with the handpiece.
1- Axial Wall and the occlusal area which will be filled
2- Buccal proximal wall (of the box)
3- Lingual proximal wall (of the box)
4- Matrix band (acting as a wall to build amalgam/composite to gain contact with the adjacent tooth)

Hopefully this helps out

View attachment 186477
You have three existing walls within the prep after your prepare it with the handpiece.
1- Axial Wall and the occlusal area which will be filled
2- Buccal proximal wall (of the box)
3- Lingual proximal wall (of the box)
4- Matrix band (acting as a wall to build amalgam/composite to gain contact with the adjacent tooth)

Hopefully this helps out

Thank you so much for responding @punchdrunk7 !!! :) But I was wondering - do you think that you can please label the picture with the numbers? I don't know how to label the picture of the teeth .... please help :)

Members don't see this ad :)
upload_2014-10-25_20-35-41.png you can't see the third wall but I think you get the idea

Thank you so much for responding @punchdrunk7 !!! :) But I was wondering - do you think that you can please label the picture with the numbers? I don't know how to label the picture of the teeth .... please help :)

Honest question, does your school not teach you anything? Do you not know how to use google? You have 3 topics from today alone regarding something that you could have easily looked up.

...it's box...a box much like a room has four walls, a roof and a floor.