MCAT The Gold Standard MCAT Book w/3 Free MCAT CBTs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cover_thumbnail.JPG

mark3.jpg
All science sections covered in detail!​

mark3.jpg
Review for Verbal Reasoning + 3 free practice MCAT CBTs !

mark3.jpg
"Five minute, Five step" approach to the Writing Sample!​

mark3.jpg
Conversion tables for your scores!​

mark3.jpg
Over 100 diagrams and illustrations!​

mark3.jpg
"The Recipe for MCAT success": A clear plan to excel at the new test​

mark3.jpg
Plus! Improve your chances of getting into medical school.​

mark3.jpg
Free online access to ten hours of teaching videos

Book Description

The 16th Edition of The Gold Standard is THE complete and fully updated review for the new Medical College Admissions Computer Based Test (MCAT CBT). The 16th Edition of The Gold Standard continues to be one of the best selling manuals, standing as the flagship for the industry. The Gold Standard includes a comprehensive and easy to understand review of the MCAT, 3 pull-out full-length practice exams with explanations, and hundreds of pages in full color!.​

NEW features include three dimensional color diagrams, MCAT objectives, equation lists, chapter review questions, mnemonics section, and an organic summary. BONUS No.1: Students also get The Gold Standard exams as MCAT CBTs - free and online. BONUS No.2: Free online access to ten hours of teaching videos!

The 16th Edition of The Gold Standard covers all key aspects of medical school admissions. All science sections are covered in detail. Proven verbal and writing strategies are designed to aid the student to competently prepare for the MCAT verbal reasoning section. The "Five Minute, Five Step" approach to the writing sample, tried and tested by students throughout the world is elucidated. Conversion tables for your MCAT scores are included.

The Gold Standard will teach you how to improve your grades, how to prepare for the medical school interview, strategies for autobiographical materials and letters of references, and much more. Over 100 diagrams and illustrations take the MCAT learning experience to a new level!

Gold Standard MCAT will give away one copy of The Gold standard MCAT Book to one lucky member. Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How do you as a company feel that you distinguish yourself from the rest of the stiff MCAT test prep companies?

How do you as a company feel that you distinguish yourself from the rest of the stiff MCAT test prep companies?

1. Other test prep companies hire students to teach, we hire doctors.
  2. They have a "Center" where you can view additional material. Our Center is your computer.
  3. Our teachers aced the MCAT, wrote nationally published books on the MCAT and now give training at MCAT University.
  4. We are not cheaper than they are, we are just less expensive.
  5. We give 14 practice MCAT CBTs (4 AAMC) + 10 additional VR CBTs.
  6. Our Platinum Program presents a clear study plan, materials + personal attention.
  7. Our Immersion Course includes lectures, tutoring and Dr. Ferdinand Live.

did your instructors literally ace the mcat as in 45T?

Members don't see this ad :)
We are not cheaper than they are, we are just less expensive.

That sold me! :laugh:

Not to be obtuse, but can you tell me more about Dr. Ferdinand and HIS credentials?

I've heard a lot of good things about your course through premed podcasts and I've noticed your books tend to keep their value (a 5 year old version is still $20 used at amazon.) So I do have a few questions.

Given the MCAT changes a bit from year to year, how much does your book change from edition to edition?

Also can you tell us a little more about the flashcards that are sold? Right now, it looks like those are the only thing from your company in my price range. Luckily I have another year before I have to worry about the MCAT.

I know this might not be the best question, but do you happen to know what the average score is for someone who primarily uses your review book as a study guide?

Your book covers all sections in 1 book, right? (i.e., you cannot buy books for individual sections?)

Your book covers all sections in 1 book, right? (i.e., you cannot buy books for individual sections?)

Yes, it covers everything plus you get 10 hours of free online teaching videos.

Given the MCAT changes a bit from year to year, how much does your book change from edition to edition?

The 2010 Edition is 120 pages longer than the 2009 Edition and the new GS is in color. Here is the YouTube video for the Gold Standard: MCAT

Also can you tell us a little more about the flashcards that are sold? Right now, it looks like those are the only thing from your company in my price range. Luckily I have another year before I have to worry about the MCAT.

The flashcards are a great way to start or end! They are less than $10 (as you hinted!) and they contain more than 200 of the most tested concepts on the MCAT on full color quality stock flashcards. It's a great way for you to start.

I know this might not be the best question, but do you happen to know what the average score is for someone who primarily uses your review book as a study guide?

We do not, and actually I believe that no company has stats on the average MCAT score of someone who uses primarily one book or the other. Our only study was to evaluate students who used the GS book as part of our complete package. These students were followed for 3 years during which 2/3rds were admitted to medical school.

Not to be obtuse, but can you tell me more about Dr. Ferdinand and HIS credentials?

Dr. Ferdinand took the MCAT, scored in the 99th percentile across the board (this is before the MCAT was scored out of 45), taught the MCAT to premeds for years and wrote the 16 Editions of the GS. Having graduated as a surgeon, he is well known as a teacher that makes difficult concepts easy to understand.

If price is a factor, might I also suggest one of our newer books:
The Silver Bullet: Real MCATs Explained. This book contains explanations to the answers of the MCAT Practice Tests that were released by the Association of American Medical Colleges. The answers to Practice Tests III and IV, as well as the answers to all MCAT Practice Items are explained in detail. This study guide also includes a full-length simulated practice exam along with answers and explanations, equation lists to memorize for the exam, eight pages of new 3D color diagrams, and an organic chemistry summary.

Sounds great doesn't it? Even better - it's only $ 27 for 640 pages. I'm going to go so far as to claim that it's the best deal today for students preparing for the MCATs. To check it out, just go to the MCAT bookstore.

Is the book a stand alone study course or must it be used with the dvds?

What are the differences between this book and the silver?

What are the differences between this book and the silver?

The Gold Standard MCAT Book is essentially the textbook for MCAT preparation. It reviews what you should know, what you shouldn't, goes over everything that you will have to be concerned about from the sciences, practice exams ( in the book & online ), verbal reasoning and even a list of the major medical schools to apply to. We've essentially boiled down everything you have to know about the MCATS down to 952 pages and hardbound it.

It retails for only $ 89.95 on MCAT-prep.com.

The Silver Bullet:REAL MCATs Explained on the other hand, is more about the real past exams themselves. It works through hundreds of MCAT exam questions and provides not only clear answers, but describes the proper way of working through these problems. Through the book, it often refers back to sections in the Gold Standard that should be reviewed in conjunction with the questions.

At only $ 27 for a mind-blowing 640 pages, it is arguably the BEST BUY on the market for MCAT preparation.

While these 2 books work great alone, they even work better when used together - in fact The Silver Bullet references the Gold Standard quite often. All of our products are designed to work together to help students do the best job they can in preparing for the MCAT exams. To see what we have that may help you out check out our store at MCAT-prep.com.

Last edited:
looks like a great book. do you have a sample chapter you could share?

Amazon.com permits students to have limited access to a book even when not logged in; and, if you happened to have made a purchase on their website in the past, they permit quite extensive exploration of a book: Gold Standard MCAT (you will see the Search Inside function below the book)

How do you calculate your calibration tables to determine a comparable aamc score, and which aamc cbts do you offer with your package? You mentioned you offered 4.

Are the answers to the 3 free tests thoroughly explained?

What does your program do to ensure that the tests are close in structure and rigor to the actual MCAT?

jl lin What does your program do to ensure that the tests are close in structure and rigor to the actual MCAT?

We do an annual review of our exams and we make modifications based on student feedback with exam experiences.

jrguin Are the answers to the 3 free tests thoroughly explained?

We are the only company that not only provides detailed explanations, but that also have a thread for each of the over 1400 questions and include reference for background information and, finally, a direct link to a video when appropriate (which means for more than 90% of the science questions).

chutzpah How do you calculate your calibration tables to determine a comparable aamc score, and which aamc cbts do you offer with your package? You mentioned you offered 4.

Our tables are calculated according to the Bell curve (this is the system that the AAMC uses for their exams). The result cannot be the same since the pool of students taking the tests are not identical.

The complete package includes the 4 tests according to the student's needs or wants (different students may have had access to different exams so we want to remain flexible).

When you say your Center is my computer, does that mean GS is offered purely online? In other words, does GS not offer a classroom based course?

Actually, we have many different programs (after all, everyone has their own best way to learn). So we have some programs that are exclusively online (MCAT Crash Course, MCAT University), other that are in classrooms (MCAT Camp) and others that combine live teaching, home study materials (books, DVDs, MP3s, flashcards) and online access.

just wondering, do any of the three paper mcat practice tests in the book have the same questions as the free practice test online or any of the other practice tests that we can purchase from your website?

Status
Not open for further replies.