The harm of neuroleptics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i liked the dancing psychiatrist and i dont believe that birchswing was the op, birchswing can spell
Reminds me of dance therapy!

Members don't see this ad.

Long time ago, one writer( clinical psychology student, who never graduated) got into argument with a woman psychologist over the nature of mental illness, and she asked him: " Well, if you hold psychology in such a great contempt, I do not understand why you study it". His answer was: " Well, because, you know, in these times pervaded with conformism those labelled mad are the only ones with individuality".

Now, talking about zombies who are then brought back to normalcy...we do not even now have reliable criteria for what normal is( a famous sentence " they called me mad, i called them mad, damn them, they outvoted me" still comes to mind). There is this excellent article posted in " impact of German airliner tragedy" thread about depression being used as an " umbrella term" for everything ranging from sociopathy to normal sadness. The net is being cast way to wide( well, perhaps, being a prospective psychiatrist, I should adopt more lucrative approach, imagine the golden times of normalcy no longer being assumed, and all those wanting to marry( insanity being marriage impediment) having to see a psychiatrist to get their certificate of normalcy:p). Few are the people who after reading DSM-V would not feel like " legion" ( "the one inhabited with hundred demons").

As for the antipsychotics, in some otherwise hopeless cases they are a necessity, but they should not be used by automatism( like it is most often the case, particularly in private practice) harms and benefits should be carefully weighted.

Reactions: 1 user
As for the antipsychotics, in some otherwise hopeless cases they are a necessity, but they should not be used by automatism( like it is most often the case, particularly in private practice) harms and benefits should be carefully weighted.

That could easily read:

As for the ANY MEDICINE, in some otherwise hopeless cases they are a necessity, but they should not be used by automatism (like it is most often the case, particularly in private practice) harms and benefits should be carefully weighted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Antipsychotics are not any medicine, just like psychiatry is not any medical branch. When you go to see, say, a cardiologist, ophtalmologist.. you do not ask yourself what his orientation is. It does not matter, there is one standard treatment. When you go to see a psychiatrist, you ask yourself whether he is of psychoanalytic/ psychodynamic orientation( and whether he is jungian or freudian), cognitive-behavioral or he prefers pharmaco-therapy. Treatment you receive differs based on that, and none of them can really claim and prove it has an edge over all others. Also, obviously, you can not take psychiatric illness and put it under a microscope, x-ray it, review it, slice it, like a tissue. Despite all the advances in diagnostic criteria psychiatry will always be more or less volatile.So, more caution is needed.

Last edited:
Few are the people who after reading DSM-V would not feel like " legion" ( "the one inhabited with hundred demons").

People always say this sort of thing and I suggest they should take a step back and stop projecting their own lives onto society as a whole. The majority of us don't see ourselves in the diagnostic criteria because the majority of people don't meet the diagnostic criteria.

Please, do not tell me that majority of people grieving the loss of their loved one would not satisfy the criteria for MDD. Or perhaps I am living in a bubble where people are not alienated from each other. I had it, and it passed with time, as it is normal grief.

A father, sole bread-winner in the family, his employer announces that he will be sacking people " surplus to reqs" this year-is it difficult to satisfy the criteria for GAD? Not to mention children

Proliferation of wars, shortage of human robots( hope so)- is it that hard to meet the criteria for PSTD?

And so on, and so on...

Please, do not tell me that majority of people grieving the loss of their loved one would not satisfy the criteria for MDD. Or perhaps I am living in a bubble where people are not alienated from each other. I had it, and it passed with time, as it is normal grief.

A father, sole bread-winner in the family, his employer announces that he will be sacking people " surplus to reqs" this year-is it difficult to satisfy the criteria for GAD? Not to mention children

Proliferation of wars, shortage of human robots( hope so)- is it that hard to meet the criteria for PSTD?

And so on, and so on...

*sigh* Transient grief is not the same as MDD, the stresses of a modern world are not the same as GAD, and so on. Have you ever actually experienced a mental illness?

*sigh* Transient grief is not the same as MDD, the stresses of a modern world are not the same as GAD, and so on. Have you ever actually experienced a mental illness?

quite true. the question would be, though, based on how the dsm operates, has anyone actually not experienced a mental illness, or at least a taste on the continuum.

quite true. the question would be, though, based on how the dsm operates, has anyone actually not experienced a mental illness, or at least a taste on the continuum.
I'm actually wondering if the board members and president of the ABMS ever have - It's hard to identify traits from narcissistic tendencies when they are matched with a lack of insight.

I'm actually wondering if the board members and president of the ABMS ever have - It's hard to identify traits from narcissistic tendencies when they are matched with a lack of insight.

lack of insight may not preclude. number of divorces and the telltale 'please excuse lack of bedside manner/throwing of objects/subtler abuse of subordinates because of apparent excellence of management' may suffice for interpersonal dysfunction. but then, the whole thing dsm diagnostic enterprise might fall down by being acceptable within a particular culture (of medicine) unfortunately.

edit to add: ah, just got your point! could be safe to say that if a person denies ever having experienced mental illness, it becomes clearer that they are possibly even actively ill! :) maybe that could change around the stigma situation.

Last edited: