The "Help Me Decorate!" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hm I'm trying to get an idea of what the purpose of the room is...
Video games, movies, YouTube, and computer. It's basically my media room. I have all my consoles and desktop hooked up to three monitors so I can seamlessly switch between different gaming or viewing media

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, I'm throwing in my living room.
View attachment 206744

What is a good orientation for this room? The black blob in the back left are two gaming chairs that I'm taking out and getting rid of. The desk on the left is getting replaced by the desk in the foreground. My cable hook up is on the far wall, so I don't want those to go far.

I like the orientation of it as-is pretty much, especially if your TV/gaming stuff has to stay in that general area. Alternatively, how would it look if your desk-to-be was in the right hand, back corner of the picture and the couch that is there now gets swung around to kind of where the desk is now, with the window behind it? That would eliminate the ability to stare out the window when you are presumably trying to be productive, which is either a good thing or a bad thing ;)

I like the orientation of it as-is pretty much, especially if your TV/gaming stuff has to stay in that general area. Alternatively, how would it look if your desk-to-be was in the right hand, back corner of the picture and the couch that is there now gets swung around to kind of where the desk is now, with the window behind it? That would eliminate the ability to stare out the window when you are presumably trying to be productive, which is either a good thing or a bad thing ;)
Fortunately for me, my at-home productivity is next to zero :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
@Gwenevre - both desks contain computers, yes? You could do side by side desks (I don't know if you can ever game on both monitors...) but if you utilized the monitor for the couch sitters, then you'd want the bigger monitor easily accessed by one set of couch sitters. Is one couch larger than the other? Cause you could swing the couches against the wall and have the desks be moved into free space (or combine them onto a table or something?) Hm........I'll keep thinking.... :thinking::thinking::thinking:

I only have one computer with dual monitors. I'm replacing the small desk with the bigger desk in the foreground. Couches are both the same size.

I need some opinions on my fish tank plans!

Right now i have them housed on my kitchen counter, because I didn't have any furniture when I got here. I'm hoping to move at least two of them, the third might stay in the kitchen, or I might move it too, haven't decided yet. I figure I'll move the two twin tanks and if I do leave one it'll be the square one in the middle. (The twin tanks are the same except one is white and the other is black).
13871658_10209588123882004_940207002_n.jpg

So I'm thinking I'll move the two taller tanks to my tv stand. Right now I think the best option is to put them on the side shelves (where the xbox and ps4 are currently sitting) and move the consoles to the center shelf below the tv. Thoughts?
13900841_10209588106521570_708194879_n.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Am I the only one that still decorates her room like a 13 year old with postcards, too many colors, jars of various bird feathers, and inspiration zen quotes? Yes? Okay :laugh:

Reactions: 4 users
Am I the only one that still decorates her room like a 13 year old with postcards, too many colors, jars of various bird feathers, and inspiration zen quotes? Yes? Okay :laugh:
You should see my stuffed animal collection...

Members don't see this ad :)
This is sort of a random thing to be bringing up but if you're decorating with found bird feathers from outside there's a very good chance that at least some of those bird feathers are illegal according to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. https://www.fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/laws-legislations/migratory-bird-treaty-act.php

If they're just decorative feathers you bought at a store or something ignore me, but I just wanted to point out some of our weirder US laws lol

This is sort of a random thing to be bringing up but if you're decorating with found bird feathers from outside there's a very good chance that at least some of those bird feathers are illegal according to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. https://www.fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/laws-legislations/migratory-bird-treaty-act.php

If they're just decorative feathers you bought at a store or something ignore me, but I just wanted to point out some of our weirder US laws lol

All collected legally from the zoo :) actually, I had some pheasant and quail ones but wasn't sure if they were legal. I'm always having to tell the wildlife center interns they aren't allowed to take the feathers of their favorite bird home cause it's not legal :arghh: unless you have Native American ancestry

I do all of those except the jars of bird feathers. Weirdo :p

@WildZoo - can 2 tanks be together?

Last edited:
Sure. The two almost-identical tanks sat together on my desk back home, third one was on my nightstand.
Can they both go on the center one then rather than separate? Unless you want them separate for feng shui purposes? Or maybe I'd have to see them one way or another?

Can they both go on the center one then rather than separate? Unless you want them separate for feng shui purposes? Or maybe I'd have to see them one way or another?
I'm worried about that shelf being able to support the weight. It would be about 40 pounds. I can try it but I have nightmares of the tanks just destroying it, water everywhere, life ruined. Heh.

Also cats. Cats are an issue.

I'm beginning to think it might be best just to get an actual aquarium stand. Then I'll have somewhere to store all the fish stuff (medications and foods and whatnot) too.

Bah. Just found the max weight for all the other shelves (except the one where the tv is). 22 pounds. Pretty sure the tanks each weight at least that when full, probably more since they are each 2.6 gallons. Back to the drawing board.

I'm worried about that shelf being able to support the weight. It would be about 40 pounds. I can try it but I have nightmares of the tanks just destroying it, water everywhere, life ruined. Heh.

Also cats. Cats are an issue.

I'm beginning to think it might be best just to get an actual aquarium stand. Then I'll have somewhere to store all the fish stuff (medications and foods and whatnot) too.
ah, makes sense. separation may be best. or the stand, I vote the stand. For the fish's sake

:biglove: I need a tank...... I miss my tanks. So many anemones in undergrad
I want a saltwater tank (corals!!!) so bad...and a freshwater community
But i figure I'll wait until I'm living in a more permanent place before I get anymore tanks.

I would highly recommend getting a stand and once you have it set up use a leveler to make sure your tank is sitting perfectly level. Several years ago I set my tank (with a stand) up against a wall and didn't realize it was tilted slightly because the carpet padding or whatever was thicker at the wall. My husband and I were dead asleep at 3 am and heard this 'pop' sound then a stream of water hitting the carpet. We both sat up thinking one of the dogs was peeing but they were both knocked out next to us. The glass on the aquarium actually cracked and so commenced chaos. We were in a rental at the time so we ran back and forth to the kitchen for pots, pans, buckets to catch as much water as possible. And luckily we had no fish casualties. It was a 40 gallon tank.

But had that happened when we weren't home :dead: Let's just say it's NOT something you want to experience.

I would highly recommend getting a stand and once you have it set up use a leveler to make sure your tank is sitting perfectly level. Several years ago I set my tank (with a stand) up against a wall and didn't realize it was tilted slightly because the carpet padding or whatever was thicker at the wall. My husband and I were dead asleep at 3 am and heard this 'pop' sound then a stream of water hitting the carpet. We both sat up thinking one of the dogs was peeing but they were both knocked out next to us. The glass on the aquarium actually cracked and so commenced chaos. We were in a rental at the time so we ran back and forth to the kitchen for pots, pans, buckets to catch as much water as possible. And luckily we had no fish casualties. It was a 40 gallon tank.

But had that happened when we weren't home :dead: Let's just say it's NOT something you want to experience.
Worst nightmare, ugh. When I was out of the country earlier in the summer my 5 gallon sprung a leak. Luckily my sister caught it and it was a slow leak, so it just spread out a bit on my desk. But that led to her clearing everything off the desk and spilling a bottle of methylene blue on the carpet so :arghh:

I found a stand that should work for 2, if not all 3, of the tanks and I'll make sure to get a leveler. I know there are some uneven places in the carpet here.

Worst nightmare, ugh. When I was out of the country earlier in the summer my 5 gallon sprung a leak. Luckily my sister caught it and it was a slow leak, so it just spread out a bit on my desk. But that led to her clearing everything off the desk and spilling a bottle of methylene blue on the carpet so :arghh:

I found a stand that should work for 2, if not all 3, of the tanks and I'll make sure to get a leveler. I know there are some uneven places in the carpet here.
:hardy::soexcited::highfive:

Due to outlet crowding I decided to keep the third tank in the kitchen, but otherwise yay for the new aquarium stand!
Oh, and the book is On the Origin of Species. Keeps the boys from seeing each other ;)

20160814_104205.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Music room / Corky's corner is done.

DSC_0058.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
"Corky's Corner" sounds like the name of a boutique or coffee shop :rofl:

... or horrible after-school public access show with puppets... and singing... and clowns.

Reactions: 2 users
Project number 1: I need things to fill up a rather large blank wall. Help? The fireplace may or may not stay in that room but I had to put something there!

View attachment 206460

Okay decorators...I finally have a few things to put in this room. Now my big dilemma....see the left hand corner of the room? Where it sticks out? There's an old woodstove pipe behind there. When centering things on the fireplace wall, do I center them from window to pipe, or window to wall?? Neither one looks quite right and I can't decide.

Okay decorators...I finally have a few things to put in this room. Now my big dilemma....see the left hand corner of the room? Where it sticks out? There's an old woodstove pipe behind there. When centering things on the fireplace wall, do I center them from window to pipe, or window to wall?? Neither one looks quite right and I can't decide.
Leaning toward window to pipe but I think it may depend on what you're putting there.

Leaning toward window to pipe but I think it may depend on what you're putting there.
Big floating mantle shelf (5ft wide) and giant clock. With various candleholders and such on the shelf. And at some point, a mirror on either side (or few small mirrors) once I find some I like.

I inherited this cabinet a couple years ago. It's been sitting in my parents' garage and I finally got around to painting it this weekend. I love the color that I've chosen, but I'm trying to find something interesting to give some contrast to the inside. I'm painting everything indigo right now, but I feel that once the doors go back up, the top part will be very dark so whatever I put in it won't be nicely displayed.

DSC03453.JPG

Assembled pre-painted piece

Hutch 1.jpgHutch 3.jpg

Painted body

Right now the ideas I have are:

- Cover the vertical surfaces inside the cabinet in fabric, wallpaper, or some other craft paper with an interesting design.
(I found an awesome rabbit toile wallpaper that I like but don't know if I'd love it long term.)
- Paint the inside some other color (red, light brown, maybe a metallic - gold or copper)
- Put in a vertical paneling of oak veneer and use a driftwood or gray-wash stain

I inherited this cabinet a couple years ago. It's been sitting in my parents' garage and I finally got around to painting it this weekend. I love the color that I've chosen, but I'm trying to find something interesting to give some contrast to the inside. I'm painting everything indigo right now, but I feel that once the doors go back up, the top part will be very dark so whatever I put in it won't be nicely displayed.

View attachment 210577

Assembled pre-painted piece

View attachment 210578View attachment 210579

Painted body

Right now the ideas I have are:

- Cover the vertical surfaces inside the cabinet in fabric, wallpaper, or some other craft paper with an interesting design.
(I found an awesome rabbit toile wallpaper that I like but don't know if I'd love it long term.)
- Paint the inside some other color (red, light brown, maybe a metallic - gold or copper)
- Put in a vertical paneling of oak veneer and use a driftwood or gray-wash stain
I love that wallpaper!

The nice thing about the inside is that it's not something you'll notice all the time, so you probably won't tire of it too quickly. If you do decide to change it someday, you probably could without much hassle - paint is probably the easiest to change, but I imagine you could remove one wallpaper and reapply a new one without harming the actual cabinet. (We just did that in the bathroom, and there was some minor damage to the wall when the paper came off.)

Kitchen done! If anyone can guess how I put up that decal you get 5 extra credit points.

kitchen.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Kitchen done! If anyone can guess how I put up that decal you get 5 extra credit points.

View attachment 211438
Used your superior upper body strength to get up on the counter?

As a short person, that's what I would have done, except without the upper body strength part.

OH MY GOD IS THE C&B FOR YOU AND CORKY????

Used your superior upper body strength to get up on the counter?

As a short person, that's what I would have done, except without the upper body strength part.

OH MY GOD IS THE C&B FOR YOU AND CORKY????

Yes, of course my muscles and upper body strength got me on the counter. But I would still be too far to the left. I literally sat in the sink facing the wall, my entire legs fit no problem. I even had a little back rest from the other part of the sink as support.

Yea, the letters are for me and Corky, but he comes first :D

Reactions: 4 users