The Holiday Differential Poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What's your holiday differential at work?

• What sucker works on holidays?

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • No differential (hourly).

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • No differential (salaried).

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 1.5x base rate

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • 2x base rate

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Flat dollar amount and/or bonus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (specify in comments below)

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

confettiflyer

Model Citizen™
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy Memorial Day 2014!
american-flag-stars-blue.jpg

Do you get a differential at work today?
Yup. It's like more pay and less work, hospital is pretty dead right now.

Do you like to work holidays?
Yup. Why on earth would I want to travel/go out when everyone else is trying to do the same thing? Yay for flexible work schedules.

Members don't see this ad.

I could be wrong but I think I get 8 hours holiday pay regardless of if I work the holiday or not. Holiday's are meant to be rotated with your partner but I am not totally sure anyone tracks that.

Doh didn't think to put that as an answer. I used to get time + time and a half back in my retail days, so I guess that's like 2.5x if you actually work that day.

And double lame, poll doesn't show up on the mobile app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doh didn't think to put that as an answer. I used to get time + time and a half back in my retail days, so I guess that's like 2.5x if you actually work that day.

And double lame, poll doesn't show up on the mobile app.

I am pretty sure I can add it as a response with my all-powerful admin powers, if you want.

I get paid for the holiday as if I had it off, plus the time worked, so 2x pay. I don't understand why it should be any different in a hospital setting (as one would still be getting paid the full day's salary if not working the holiday, right?)

I think I'm with bacillus....2x pay for 8 hours of chillin...good for me!

I'm also not married/no kids and looking to pay off my student loans...I'll take it...I'm actually fortunate that my partner would rather take the holidays off, so he lets me take all of them!

if I wasn't out working (and making money), I'd otherwise be out spending it...might as well work!

I got time and a half, but I worked for it.

Also made my student come in.

Because dues. Pay em.

Reactions: 1 user
Small community hospital, salaried, 2 holidays/year (out of only 6 identified "holidays")
When I work a holiday I get another paid day off that week (work Sun-Weds and off Thurs-Sun)

Where I work the Rph gets a full 12 hr shift added as PTO. Regardless if they work the holiday or not. So you get your vacation plus 6 recognized holidays of PTO.

Get paid at regular rate as if I was there working full-shift but instead I was relaxing at home and ...sleeping LOL. It's been good. I wish we had ay least 10 memorial days per year ....

We get an extra 8 hrs of holiday pay regardless of if you work it or not, and then the actual hours worked that pay period.

So if the holiday is your normally scheduled day but you take it off and only work 72 hrs + 8 hrs holiday pay = 80.

If it is your normally scheduled day and you do work it, you get 80 hrs + 8 hrs = 88 hrs, so it's like getting 2x pay for the holiday.

If it is not your normally scheduled day but you still worked 80 hrs in the rest of the pay period, you also get 80 + 8 = 88.

However, in the last 2 scenarios, sometimes they give us a day off in lieu, so that they only have to pay 80 hrs.

We can volunteer to work the holiday, or if insufficient, they will draft people to work it, starting with the lowest performance rank.

This does not affect PTO (I get 4 wks), and there are 6 holidays each year.

I got time and a half, but I worked for it.

Also made my student come in.

Because dues. Pay em.

Ahhh.. one of those people, making a student come in on the holidays. Niiiiiiice.

Hospital, 7 on and 7 off, no switching up of holidays.

No extra pay unless its Turkey Day or Christmas.

Its pretty craptacular.

Ahhh.. one of those people, making a student come in on the holidays. Niiiiiiice.

It's an ED. We're busy on holidays.

Learning experience.

Believe me, it would be easier for me to give the day off.

We get 1.5x pay if we have to work the holiday, plus a floating holiday as paid time off that has to be used within a certain time frame.

Salaried, no 1.5x, so I left early to see the new xmen movie with my wife in the afternoon. My staff are hourly, so they do get time and half. PRNs are the lucky ones (1.5x prn rate, yeah $100/hr).

Wife's place pays 2.5x pay (pays 8 hrs if you are off, plus 1.5x if you work).

Learning experience.

My CCU was pretty quiet, I just knocked out some student eval stuff and did some hospital required training modules.

Then went to the central pharmacy and had our students go pick up food for everyone. Party party.

This is why I love working holidays.

Learning experience.

I don't mind working holidays. Ill come work with you njac.

Ambcare here, my clinic is closed for 9 holidays/year. At the previous hospital I worked at, we were salaried and received no extra pay.

If you work, you get time and a half plus an extra eight hours of your flat rate. If you don't work you get 8 hours of flat rate pay.