The Hornet is Back, B*tches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hornet871

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Um, hi. I'm the Hornet. I've been gone a long time (maybe ten years). Most of you probably don't remember me, but I received a handful of e-mails over the years asking where I had been and what had become of me.

Well, for those few of you who may be interested... for a brief time I lived a life of crime and adventure. I worked in Florida for three years after residency and saved up enough money to hit the road. A few hundred grand goes a long way in places like Nepal and Honduras. I was incarcerated in Singapore for seven months (on trumped-up charges, but that's another story), and operated an orphanage in Bangladesh for two years. When that went belly-up (greedy donors made demands of me that I could not possibly deliver on), I worked my way to Cuba and then Central America, where I reside currently. Most days I go fishing, most nights I read all those long books I'd been meaning to get around to in my youth. Occasionally, I'll venture into town, have a few beers, and bring home a hooker.

I still work locum tenens three months of the year in the US to maintain ABEM eligibility and to make money to pay for my (mis)adventures.

Who's this new moderator, Caesar? What ever happened to Quinn? BigFrank, Klebsiella? Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio...? If anyone is heading south of the border, drop me a line and maybe we can hang out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
Just paying homage to a legend... I used to lurk when you were active (damn thats a long time ago).

Glad to hear youre doing well!

I would love to read your blog/autobiography one day

Members don't see this ad :)
One can get a caning for chewing gum in Singapore.

Well, for those few of you who may be interested... for a brief time I lived a life of crime and adventure. I worked in Florida for three years after residency and saved up enough money to hit the road. A few hundred grand goes a long way in places like Nepal and Honduras. I was incarcerated in Singapore for seven months (on trumped-up charges, but that's another story), and operated an orphanage in Bangladesh for two years. When that went belly-up (greedy donors made demands of me that I could not possibly deliver on), I worked my way to Cuba and then Central America, where I reside currently. Most days I go fishing, most nights I read all those long books I'd been meaning to get around to in my youth. Occasionally, I'll venture into town, have a few beers, and bring home a hooker.

I still work locum tenens three months of the year in the US to maintain ABEM eligibility and to make money to pay for my (mis)adventures.

Anyone who is wondering what to do after residency...this man may be the most successful emergency physician in history.

Reactions: 10 users
Hmm, that's quite the story. Question from the unlearned, do locums pay more or less than a "regular" job?

Yeah, I know, of all the things I could ask its a pretty lame question.

Um, hi. I'm the Hornet. I've been gone a long time (maybe ten years). Most of you probably don't remember me, but I received a handful of e-mails over the years asking where I had been and what had become of me.

Who's this new moderator, Caesar? What ever happened to Quinn? BigFrank, Klebsiella? Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio...? If anyone is heading south of the border, drop me a line and maybe we can hang out.
You have a striking resemblance to Dr. Jerry, from, "The Doctor That Took Care Of The Lawyer That Sued Him."

http://drwhitecoat.com/the-doctor-that-took-care-of-the-lawyer-that-sued-him/

Imagine that. Lol

Yea, yea, I remember you. I was under a different name then (Desperado.) I've got a residency classmates with some similar adventures. You really ought to send me a guest post for my blog (I started it long after you bugged out.) Take a look and see if you'd be willing:

http://whitecoatinvestor.com/contact/guest-post-policy/

Especially the part about basically retiring overseas after 3 years of work.

Reactions: 1 user

Oh, by the way, why leave SDN and come back now? Just curious.

Hornet, is your story for real or are you just making up an identity online while working shifts in suburban Cleveland and living with you wife and 3 kids? If it truly is true, I want to hear more, read your blog, and follow your misadventures. I think many of us who go into EM do so so that we can lead lives like you are

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is must be the most interesting man in Emergency Medicine.

Reactions: 4 users
Where you at in CA? We should grab beer if you're in Hondo or Guat!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

According to his current profile, the Hornet hasn't logged in to SDN for nearly a year. Probably off on another cool adventure. @Hornet871, let us know how it's been going. Hopefully in less than 10 years. :)

Last edited:
Things are going well. I'm sorry, I've been terrible about writing back to all of you individually, so I'll just post a few words here. I'm currently living in Hanoi, Vietnam, enjoying the cheap, delicious food and, um, nice women in this country. (There was an easy joke to be made there, but I passed.) I left Honduras nearly a year ago. Life is good; I have no complaints.

White Coat Investor, my girlfriend bought me your book last year! What a coincidence... she handed it to me with a note that read, "You should write your own version." Thank you for the invitation to write a guest post on your blog. I didn't see it until just now. A few days after I wrote the OP above - "I'm back, b*tches!" - my best friend committed suicide. No joke. So I flew back to the States, got busy with his funeral arrangements, etc, and didn't get back to checking this site till today. Oh, how the time flies.

I had no idea, WCI, that you were the original Desperado back in the day! I remember you very well. We both joined SDN back in 2002, in its relative infancy, when the world was so young that you had to point to things because they hadn't been named yet. I'll happily contribute to your blog, but I'm not sure if my advice is worthwhile, since my semi-retirement owes less to having made a small fortune than it does to a contentment with having less. I've lived in poor accommodations at times, sometimes without air-con. I've owned exactly two pairs of shoes in the past ten years. Life is good in Vietnam, I've stayed out of trouble, and I'm due back in the States in five months to do my annual 3 months of locums. I easily make close to six figures in that time, and that funds my extracurricular activities for the other nine months of the year. It's the perfect fit for someone like me, someone who enjoys a slower pace of life and isn't interested in driving a Range Rover or adorning his wrist with a Rolex. Diff'rent folks....

I really ought to keep a blog, as many of you have suggested, but the truth is that I'm just too lazy. Blogging requires maintenance and posting photos and a bunch of other things that I can't be troubled to do. Sorry! Also, since I have a prison record now (in Singapore, for an offense committed in 2008) I'm keen on keeping myself on the DL. Basically, my employer in the States doesn't know that I did jail time, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Best of luck to you all... SDN was my lifeblood and my sanity during the dark years of med school. I owe it, and you, the readers/contributors, a debt of gratitude. Cheers!

the hornet

Reactions: 3 users
Things are going well. I'm sorry, I've been terrible about writing back to all of you individually, so I'll just post a few words here. I'm currently living in Hanoi, Vietnam, enjoying the cheap, delicious food and, um, nice women in this country. (There was an easy joke to be made there, but I passed.) I left Honduras nearly a year ago. Life is good; I have no complaints.

White Coat Investor, my girlfriend bought me your book last year! What a coincidence... she handed it to me with a note that read, "You should write your own version." Thank you for the invitation to write a guest post on your blog. I didn't see it until just now. A few days after I wrote the OP above - "I'm back, b*tches!" - my best friend committed suicide. No joke. So I flew back to the States, got busy with his funeral arrangements, etc, and didn't get back to checking this site till today. Oh, how the time flies.

I had no idea, WCI, that you were the original Desperado back in the day! I remember you very well. We both joined SDN back in 2002, in its relative infancy, when the world was so young that you had to point to things because they hadn't been named yet. I'll happily contribute to your blog, but I'm not sure if my advice is worthwhile, since my semi-retirement owes less to having made a small fortune than it does to a contentment with having less. I've lived in poor accommodations at times, sometimes without air-con. I've owned exactly two pairs of shoes in the past ten years. Life is good in Vietnam, I've stayed out of trouble, and I'm due back in the States in five months to do my annual 3 months of locums. I easily make close to six figures in that time, and that funds my extracurricular activities for the other nine months of the year. It's the perfect fit for someone like me, someone who enjoys a slower pace of life and isn't interested in driving a Range Rover or adorning his wrist with a Rolex. Diff'rent folks....

I really ought to keep a blog, as many of you have suggested, but the truth is that I'm just too lazy. Blogging requires maintenance and posting photos and a bunch of other things that I can't be troubled to do. Sorry! Also, since I have a prison record now (in Singapore, for an offense committed in 2008) I'm keen on keeping myself on the DL. Basically, my employer in the States doesn't know that I did jail time, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Best of luck to you all... SDN was my lifeblood and my sanity during the dark years of med school. I owe it, and you, the readers/contributors, a debt of gratitude. Cheers!

the hornet

Your advice is definitely worthwhile, and I'll keep you anonymous. I think it would be a great story.

This quite literally the most interesting man in emergency medicine.

Edit: holy crap I said the exact same joke way back when. I’m horrible.

And both times I had grammar mistakes due to being on an iPhone.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't know how much is literal, and how much is satire. I am going to say that I am not impressed. Call me boring, going to work, married to my wife, the whole nine. But, you do you, dude, as do we all.

Singapore has the darkest bar that I've ever been in.

I am just following this for the sequel.