The importance of the pharmacy school graduated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

staroceanX

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important do employers value the pharmacy school you attended ?
Does graduates from better pharmacy schools get hired more often and receive higher salaries?

Members don't see this ad.

it all depends on what you want to do after graduation as in what field of pharmacy, managed care, clinical reesidency, etc.

Generally, given the HUGE demand, I don't think this plays out as a factor.

anyone else have ideas on this question?

None. There is very little difference between the cirriculum and quality of PharmD graduates from different institutions. Any difference would be based purely on the individual.

Members don't see this ad :)
I may not be qualified enough to suggest a difference between student pharmacists of two different schools, but it would appear that this argument could be applied to any higher form of education, i.e. is a lawyer from Harvard better than a lawyer from some dotcom law school? doctor? optometrist? etc. What basis, qualifications are we comparing and basing these judgements on?

For lawyers, they compete with each other face to face in court. I believe their quality of education would matter a lot to their success in court. For Physicians, i believe it would not matter THAT much because most physicians get a job and all the schools are all credited so i think the graduates won't kill people. I had no clue about pharmacy school, but I thought it would be somewhat like the situation of medical schools.

Right now with the perceived shortage of pharmacists, it may not matter where you get your degree. However when competition increases in the future, the placement skills of schools will be very important. Looks like every two-bit school is starting a Pharm D program. Look at what happened to Physical Therapy - lots of new schools, flood of graduates - under or unemployment and wage pressures. Doctors and dentists have it good as there are no new schools. Remember in the US, don't follow the crowd - everybody is doing Pharm D. now, it was computers and PAs before that - just like the stock market. If it is very obvious that there will be plenty of secure jobs in Pharm in the future, you can bet that this will not come true - unless you have a restrictive moat around the profession like DDS and MD. IMHO.