The introverted dentist...possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basketball_grey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

Do you think it is possible to be a successful dentist/dental student being an introvert? Why or why not?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
IMO, there's a difference between being introverted and being anti-social. I consider myself introverted but I enjoy socializing; I'm just not very outgoing. When I do socialize, I prefer small group settings. I also enjoy being independent more than I enjoy being around others constantly.

I also think that, like many other personality traits, introversion and extroversion aren't binary: there's a scale of how introverted or extroverted one can be, and I think you can fall in the middle.

Yes, I think you can succeed as a introverted dentist, and I'm sure there are many dentists that have. However, I also have the strong impression that introverted dentists don't become successful by being cold to their patients; there is always a minimum level of compassion and socializing that every businessman must reach in order to reach that success. Successful dentists can be introverted, but I don't think they can be anti-social.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're introverted doesn't mean that you are antisocial and are unable to connect with other human beings. If anything I think it's the complete opposite. I myself am an introvert and was extremely antisocial in high school and beginning of college. Fortunately I discovered self development and meditation. I learned to be the "social butterfly" that most extroverts are. If you find it hard to socialize with random people of the bat it's probably because you just haven't learned how to do it yet. Anybody can learn to be social and personable if they put in the work

I consider myself introverted. However, it is easy for me to put on an "act" for my patients. I pretend that I am confident and outgoing, thereby increasing my confidence and extroversion.

how_to_live_with_introverts_guide_printable_by_sveidt-d5b09fj.jpg

According to the cartoon above, I am an introvert because I give energy to socialize. However, like PocketRocket did, I learned to be outgoing in college! Sociability can definitely be acquired. Besides, if you show genuine care, I think the patients will notice your sincerity and appreciate you for it regardless of how talkative you are :)

Reactions: 2 users
If you're introverted doesn't mean that you are antisocial and are unable to connect with other human beings. If anything I think it's the complete opposite. I myself am an introvert and was extremely antisocial in high school and beginning of college. Fortunately I discovered self development and meditation. I learned to be the "social butterfly" that most extroverts are. If you find it hard to socialize with random people of the bat it's probably because you just haven't learned how to do it yet. Anybody can learn to be social and personable if they put in the work
You really think socialization can be learnt ? I am always wondering if there is a way to improve that. What did you do to make the change ?

it's hard not to fake it if you come to another country at 20s. It's getting even harder to make real friends when you are older, even in your own community. Sigh
:(
I'm sure it'll be easy to make friends in dental school. Everyone's dealing with the same amount of work and has the same schedule.

My dentist told me recently that the myers-briggs personality test found out that majority of dentists are introverted, which is something that I thought would be worth sharing on this post.

I myself identify as being introverted and i think that the little comic above about how the only difference between extroverts and introverts is their source of energy is true. I think that I socialize well but after any social event, I always have to retreat for a few days before going to another social event. My friends have termed the nickname "cavewoman" because of my need to go off the grid every once in a while. haha

You really think socialization can be learnt ? I am always wondering if there is a way to improve that. What did you do to make the change ?

The simplest thing you can do is start talking to everyone. Small talk with the cashier, the person next to you in line, patients, etc... You want to intentionally put yourself in social situations no matter how uncomfortable you feel at that moment. The first few times you do this it's going to feel awkward and "unnatural" for you. Plow through it. This is especially most effective if the person you are speaking with intimidates you in someway. If you are a guy and you see a really attractive chick walking your way on the street, just ask her for the time. How hard can that be? Find out if you dare haha Eventually, you will desensitize yourself to these preconceived socially/culturally conditioned emotions that are stifling you from being social. If you want to be social but you can't, you have to admit that you have a problem.

Thanks for the words.

In the past few months, I have been trying to distract myself from being anxious, bored or sad. I hate to be emotional but sometimes life can be tough. I know I am definitely not the most miserable person here, but I just can't help feeling helpless. Certain things are just easier for certain group of person. I've got the freedom, so i guess it s time to trade it off with dependence and company.

When I was younger and felt in this way, I usually just book a flight and go home. Everything that I have was there. Family, friends, a home. But I am at mid-20s, and the cost of going home is not simply the price of flight tickets anymore. Parents are getting older and friends grew up already. I can't just go home and pretend that nothing has changed. At my age, I m supposed to handle my pressure on my own and start taking care of my family.

Sometimes I even started doubting my decision of applying for dental school. What is point if everything I care about is far away from me?
Memories are the most precious when your life is unreachable. You preserve them so deliberately like candies that you never dare to open the wrapper. As time passes by, you may suddenly realize the candy inside has gone.

Forgive my grammar mistakes. English is never my language.

"I have been trying to distract myself form being anxious, bored or sad" What you resist persists! I forget where I read that but it makes a lot of sense to me. Try to really think why you are feeling that way and it is important that you are being honest with yourself.

You most certainly do not have the freedom if you feel that you are "supposed" to do anything. The whole anti-social thing is rooted in feelings of inadequacy. One can only feel inadequate if they compare themselves to other people or are trying to live up to standards created by someone other than yourself.

Here is an excerpt from one of the books I've read, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World, that helped me become more social and more. I strongly recommend that you read it, internalize it, and apply it!

"Freedom is the opportunity to live your life as you want to live it. And that is
possible, even if others remain as they are.
If you’re not free now, it might be because you’ve been preoccupied with the
people or institutions that you feel have restrained your freedom. I don’t expect you to
stop worrying about them merely because I suggest that you do.
I do hope to show you, though, that those people and institutions are relatively
powerless to stop you — once you decide how you will achieve your freedom. There
are things you can do to be free, and if you turn your attention to those things, no one
will stand in your way. But when you become preoccupied with those who are
blocking you, you overlook the many alternatives you could use to bypass them.
The freedom you seek is already available to you, but it has gone unnoticed.
There probably are two basic reasons you haven’t taken advantage of that freedom.
One reason is that you’re unaware of the many alternatives available to you.
You don’t have to go to jail to avoid exorbitant taxes. Nor do you have to be a social
leper if you refuse to knuckle under to social pressure. You don’t have to give up love in
order to avoid complicated, restrictive family problems. And you don’t have to go
without friends to avoid having your life at the disposal of others.
But if you’re unaware of additional alternatives, it’s easy to see these matters as being
either/or questions. Fortunately, there are additional alternatives — ways by which
you can have what you want without bringing bad consequences upon yourself.
The second reason you’re not free is because you’ve probably accepted without
challenge certain assumptions that restrict your freedom."
-Harry Browne

The simplest thing you can do is start talking to everyone. Small talk with the cashier, the person next to you in line, patients, etc... You want to intentionally put yourself in social situations no matter how uncomfortable you feel at that moment. The first few times you do this it's going to feel awkward and "unnatural" for you. Plow through it. This is especially most effective if the person you are speaking with intimidates you in someway. If you are a guy and you see a really attractive chick walking your way on the street, just ask her for the time. How hard can that be? Find out if you dare haha Eventually, you will desensitize yourself to these preconceived socially/culturally conditioned emotions that are stifling you from being social. If you want to be social but you can't, you have to admit that you have a problem.

"I have been trying to distract myself form being anxious, bored or sad" What you resist persists! I forget where I read that but it makes a lot of sense to me. Try to really think why you are feeling that way and it is important that you are being honest with yourself.

You most certainly do not have the freedom if you feel that you are "supposed" to do anything. The whole anti-social thing is rooted in feelings of inadequacy. One can only feel inadequate if they compare themselves to other people or are trying to live up to standards created by someone other than yourself.

Here is an excerpt from one of the books I've read, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World, that helped me become more social and more. I strongly recommend that you read it, internalize it, and apply it!

"Freedom is the opportunity to live your life as you want to live it. And that is
possible, even if others remain as they are.
If you’re not free now, it might be because you’ve been preoccupied with the
people or institutions that you feel have restrained your freedom. I don’t expect you to
stop worrying about them merely because I suggest that you do.
I do hope to show you, though, that those people and institutions are relatively
powerless to stop you — once you decide how you will achieve your freedom. There
are things you can do to be free, and if you turn your attention to those things, no one
will stand in your way. But when you become preoccupied with those who are
blocking you, you overlook the many alternatives you could use to bypass them.
The freedom you seek is already available to you, but it has gone unnoticed.
There probably are two basic reasons you haven’t taken advantage of that freedom.
One reason is that you’re unaware of the many alternatives available to you.
You don’t have to go to jail to avoid exorbitant taxes. Nor do you have to be a social
leper if you refuse to knuckle under to social pressure. You don’t have to give up love in
order to avoid complicated, restrictive family problems. And you don’t have to go
without friends to avoid having your life at the disposal of others.
But if you’re unaware of additional alternatives, it’s easy to see these matters as being
either/or questions. Fortunately, there are additional alternatives — ways by which
you can have what you want without bringing bad consequences upon yourself.
The second reason you’re not free is because you’ve probably accepted without
challenge certain assumptions that restrict your freedom."
-Harry Browne
Yeah i think i get it.. Thanks!

To be honest, I don't think I am socially awkward in that way. It is just hard for me to get close to people. I guess I am just not strong enough or maybe people here are more independent?
Sometimes I got homesick so badly. : )

A good dentist gets the job done. A great dentist leaves the patients feeling like they got something special. You need to find your inner extrovert and learn to be more sociable. That's a huge part of this field. It's like when people get in your chair they want to tell you their whole life story. You have to be personable and approachable.