The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Damn, Walgreens is down 16%. No tax inversion.

No go on inversion was definitely a factor, but so was EPS outlook for 2016 dropping.

Members don't see this ad.

Rite aid did too. It is now < 6 from a high of 8.62.

My good friend shorted it @ 20k shares from around ~8ish. He is a high roller and works for RAD LOL.

He has inside information!

Members don't see this ad :)
My good friend shorted it @ 20k shares from around ~8ish. He is a high roller and works for RAD LOL.

I thought you said index fund was the way. Obviously your friend thinks not. Good for him !! And you coulda made a fortune shorting RAD with him.... Woulda beat the negative roi on that VASIX hand down ;) lol

Last edited:
I thought you said index fund was the way. Obviously your friend thinks not. Good for him !! And you coulda made a fortune shorting RAD with him.... ;) lol

He is a multi-millionaire in the mid 30, got inheritances. Dude takes vacation 8-10 times a year, $10-20k a pop. He can afford to gamble.

He is a multi-millionaire in the mid 30, got inheritances. Dude takes vacation 8-10 times a year, $10-20k a pop. He can afford to gamble.

So you are saying he's got no skill ?? :)

I would give him 2 thumbs up shorting RAD from the 8's :thumbup::thumbup: :claps::claps:

Tomorrow is a good entry point to take another position if you have some cash. Could drop a lot more but I don't have a crystal ball and at 200d moving avg, it could go either way: bouncing back really fast or crashing hard. Buying $10k worth on Friday.

Tomorrow is a good entry point to take another position if you have some cash. Could drop a lot more but I don't have a crystal ball and at 200d moving avg, it could go either way: bouncing back really fast or crashing hard. Buying $10k worth on Friday.

what are you buying on friday?

what are you buying on friday?

These has less than target, so I am adding money to rebalance into the under performance funds to keep it back to target allocation.

Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares
Vanguard Small Cap Value Index Fund Admiral Shares
Vanguard FTSE All Wd Ex US Small Cap ETF

Tomorrow is a good entry point to take another position if you have some cash. Could drop a lot more but I don't have a crystal ball and at 200d moving avg, it could go either way: bouncing back really fast or crashing hard.

............ = I don't really know what the freaking heck I am doing here

+ "if you have some cash"

gambling/suicide :)

just a note: besides "bouncing up" and "crashing hard", how about going sideways ???? lol jk

Buying $10k worth on Friday.

= kamikaze... :scared::scared:

These has less than target, so I am adding money to rebalance into the under performance funds to keep it back to target allocation.

"less than target" + "under performance funds" + "am adding money...to keep it back to target allocation" = fancy talk for losing + desperately keep throwing more money into the game in hope to get some back ...

hmm... I think I've seen and heard that somewhere before.... hmmmmm :thinking::thinking:

money pit ??

:barf::barf:

seriously get help bro !! Get help from a professional STAT. Only a phone call away.

Anyway I wish you luck !! Banzai !! :)

gambling_helpline.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I'm curious, who bought WAG when it tanked about 20%? I put in about 20k at 59.40.

I'm curious, who bought WAG when it tanked about 20%? I put in about 20k at 59.40.

There are stocks with better short term ROIs imho. For WAG, I am going patient. For long term hold, I would only go in when it is ~1/2 off its current price (~60's now) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
............ = I don't really know what the freaking heck I am doing here

+ "if you have some cash"

gambling/suicide :)

just a note: besides "bouncing up" and "crashing hard", how about going sideways ???? lol jk

= kamikaze... :scared::scared:

"less than target" + "under performance funds" + "am adding money...to keep it back to target allocation" = fancy talk for losing + desperately keep throwing more money into the game in hope to get some back ...

hmm... I think I've seen and heard that somewhere before.... hmmmmm :thinking::thinking:

money pit ??

:barf::barf:

seriously get help bro !! Get help from a professional STAT. Only a phone call away.

Anyway I wish you luck !! Banzai !! :)

gambling_helpline.jpg

Too bad, I don't need luck, you do when you are blindly convincing yourself you are the next Warren Buffet. I have a plan that has made me 60k shy of a millionaire, and more to come for the next 40 years. I suggest you do the same. Rebalancing, Asset Allocation, IPS, and bogleheads philosophy. Look it up kiddo. Come back when you have money and know what you are talking about. Better yet, send me your brokerage statement for past 5 years if you think you can do better than me. Until then...

shutit.png

Last edited:
Too bad, I don't need luck, you do when you are blindly convincing yourself you are the next Warren Buffet. I have a plan that has made me 60k shy of a millionaire, and more to come for the next 40 years. I suggest you do the same. Rebalancing, Asset Allocation, IPS, and bogleheads philosophy. Look it up kiddo. Come back when you have money and know what you are talking about. Better yet, send me your brokerage statement for past 5 years if you think you can do better than me. Until then...

shutit.png

LoL. Look dude, I have no need to prove anything to you or send you anything unless you were the IRS.

Judging by the results you are posting here talking out from both sides of your mouth in "real time", you do not look so hot.... compared to my results posting here in the same time period. Results dude !! And dont tell me your horizon is 90s years now... Lol

But I bet you dare to post your bank statements here just to show you are really a hot millionaire. Until then your words are just a bunch of horse****. But banzai to you hot stuffs !! :)

LoL. Look dude, I have no need to prove anything to you or send you anything unless you were the IRS.

Judging by the results you are posting here talking out from both sides of your mouth in "real time", you do not look so hot.... compared to my results posting here in the same time period. Results dude !! And dont tell me your horizon is 90s years now... Lol

But I bet you dare to post your bank statements here just to show you are really a hot millionaire. Until then your words are just a bunch of horse****. But banzai to you hot stuffs !! :)

That's how a little girl play spouting back sh1t I just said. Pathetic. Weak.

Too bad you can't play with the big boys. Keep hoping you are gonna make it big, stock picking with your imaginary money. Day dreaming is good for you. You need luck/skill/crystal ball, or whatever you wanna call it. Lots of it. I don't need any because I already made it.

That's how a little girl play spouting back sh1t I just said. Pathetic. Weak.

Too bad you can't play with the big boys. Keep hoping you are gonna make it big, stock picking with your imaginary money. Day dreaming is good for you. You need luck/skill/crystal ball, or whatever you wanna call it. Lots of it. I don't need any because I already made it.

Whatever dude !! I only believe it when I see it. You go and talk to the ones who believe your horse****. Idiot :) lol.

Awww shucks... S&P YTD performance 6%... Vanguard REITS (my roth ira) up 16.34% YTD... Feel like I am buying $5500 into REITS at the peak... sheeeet! =(

Everyone is scared it will crash... the hard trade is buying, now. Buy more :-D

Bought $2500 to VSIAX with my paycheck XD

Dude that's an admiral fund, $10k min...unless you're already in for $10k+. Can't remember your portfolio.

Investing in a good vacuum cleaner ?? Sure better than buying VSIAX. ~46s on 07/03, 44's now after a month as of today 07/30 (~ - 5%). Let's pray to God it will not drop anymore (no crash nooo :) )... But hope people might still be able to make some money with it after 50 years (with inflation ??). Oh wait, a vacuum cleaner will probably not last 50 years... Hmmm what to do..... :thinking: :thinking:

Doubling down on the dips today... $2500 from regular pay check, $2500 from saving. DOW 300 off. Some bargain lol.

Futures down 99 points on the DOW. Woot! Converting Trad IRA to ROTH, buying $5500 into REITS <3. Finally caught a break for me to buy this year... waited too long, should have bought it in January 1st (REITS is up more than 15% YTD... ;-; ), never again.

Hoping DOW to test 200 days support at or below 16,333 so I can put more money in. Still have $30k cash left to invest. The more it drops, the happier I am. Crash, yes please (20% or more lol)!

VSIAX red again and closed @ 43.11 today 08/08/14

Woooo.... What a trend and performance !! Oh wait... Time horizon is 100 years now.... Hope you will be able to count beans for a long time.

Priceless !!!! :) lol

Last edited:
VSIAX red again and closed @ 43.11 today 08/08/14

Woooo.... What a trend and performance !! Oh wait... Time horizon is 100 years now.... Hope you will be able to count beans for a long time.

Priceless !!!! :) lol

Can't fix stupid. Don't know the difference between investing and trading. Stupid is as stupid does. The best part is you don't even have a penny to rub together. That's a classic right there. It's like taking life advice from a homeless person.

For short term investment (< 1 year), is it worth it considering profit is taxed at regular income taxes?

Can't fix stupid. Don't know the difference between investing and trading. Stupid is as stupid does. The best part is you don't even have a penny to rub together. That's a classic right there. It's like taking life advice from a homeless person.

let me tell you "monopoly money millionaire" this: do not imagine that you are "investing" in anything as there is no such thing as "investing" in the real stock market. It is all a game for people to legally rob one another on Wall Street. The winner takes all !! The losers are paying the winners. Winner or loser, it is all about timing. But I bet you do not know that (duh... well I give you that they did not teach you any of this in pharmacy school... or not your fault that you are born an idiot, right ?? )

You have zero skill and should always remember that. Just look at your record here. I am not lying to you. You go and ask your own friends that question, esp the one from your own story who shorted RAD recently from the 8s, and see what they are really telling you !! You are more fitting to be counting some stinky beans than playing this game. Accept that !! Don't pretend to be something you are not. And do not assume anyone that they are not having/making money because you think they are just some traditional, regular or average pre-pharm student. I am not.

The way I see you are "investing" or "trading" on here "real time", you will surely be the one that will be left with nothing but your two b@lls to rub together. Don't go beg for my shiny little "pennies" then !! You will have whatever left in your sorry "horizon" to suck your own... (well, I'll let you fill in the blank whatever you wish) !! lol :)

enjoy burning money and God bless !! Peace !! :highfive: :thumbup::thumbup: :claps::claps:

Last edited:
For short term investment (< 1 year), is it worth it considering profit is taxed at regular income taxes?

For me, the answer will be a no. But it depends on your overall style. Trading vs. investing. Can't mix both either, or you will be the pig in Wall Street.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/00/102300.asp
http://www.investopedia.com/articles/stocks/08/passive-active-investing.asp

Momus is right about NO for him. Obviously it is not for him !! Duh !! (if you have been following his plays and many "double down" with VSIAX... a slaughtered pig by the thugs on Wall Street indeed... poor piggy :) )

seriously, it depends on how much the profit is going to potentially be and whether or not your "investing"/"trading" skills would allow you to capture that money in that "short term" time period.

but check the below,

seriously, no one checked those picks out or played them, it seemed like ??
NQ for example, hit $3.45 low on 07/14/14 and hit $8.44 high today 07/30/14, a whooping ROI of 245% in less than 2 wks.... USU hit low $2.71 on 06/30 and high $12.35 on 07/02 to yield a "modest" return of only 456% in just 2-3 days.... just some of the great few from that initial list of mine posted on 06/28....

and many more are still working hard if you check them out... (Again remember it is your responsibility to do your own research/DD carefully as you are playing with your own money and timing is everything).

Cha-ching anyone ?? I know I know buying mutual funds or index funds is the way... Stupid me ;) lol

if you could seize those plays, ask yourself again if those are worth the taxes at the tax rates for regular income ?? :thinking::thinking:

let me tell you "monopoly money millionaire" this: do not imagine that you are "investing" in anything as there is no such thing as "investing" in the real stock market. It is all a game for people to legally rob one another on Wall Street. The winner takes all !! The losers are paying the winners. Winner or loser, it is all about timing. But I bet you do not know that (duh... well I give you that they did not teach you any of this in pharmacy school... or not your fault that you are born an idiot, right ?? )

You have zero skill and should always remember that. Just look at your record here. I am not lying to you. You go and ask your own friends that question, esp the one from your own story who shorted RAD recently from the 8s, and see what they are really telling you !! You are more fitting to be counting some stinky beans than playing this game. Accept that !! Don't pretend to be something you are not. And do not assume anyone that they are not having/making money because you think they are just some traditional, regular or average pre-pharm student. I am not.

The way I see you are "investing" or "trading" on here "real time", you will surely be the one that will be left with nothing but your two b@lls to rub together. Don't go beg for my shiny little "pennies" then !! You will have whatever left in your sorry "horizon" to suck your own... (well, I'll let you fill in the blank whatever you wish) !! lol :)

enjoy burning money and God bless !! Peace !! :highfive: :thumbup::thumbup: :claps::claps:

Keep talking. Keep dreaming the moon. Come back when you have a penny to talk. Nobody here gives a sh1t about a broke a55 student. Nobody.

In the mean time, I am enjoying ~$40k return YTD on my 401k, taxable stocks, and investment property equity (appreciation + less loan; thanks tenant!). I must be down right ******ed making almost ~1/3th my salary doing nothing :-D

BMB, you remember emerging market? You bought some last year.

I kept on buying last year when everyone scared sh1tless. I don't have to put a single penny this year to this fund because it just keeps going up and up ~doubling S&P 500 YTD 8.5%. Rebalancing works its magic again ;-D

Yeah i put like 11 k in emerging market last year. Of course I like the feeling of it when it goes up but it doesn't matter at this point because i am not planning to cash out until i am in my 50s. I would actually prefer it going down (i know sucks for people retiring). The only stock I care for is my company stocks. A lot of money in it and they are for short term.

It's funny it took this long for someone to get tired of Momus stroking himself. He only posts his winners on here. I'm sure he never makes a bad trade/investment. Funny thing is he doesn't realize he's just a little player in a big game. Let's see how brilliant he looks when a good percent of his overinflated Fed money disappears in the next crash. I'm sure he'll still be posting all of his great moves on here.

It's funny it took this long for someone to get tired of Momus stroking himself. He only posts his winners on here. I'm sure he never makes a bad trade/investment. Funny thing is he doesn't realize he's just a little player in a big game. Let's see how brilliant he looks when a good percent of his overinflated Fed money disappears in the next crash. I'm sure he'll still be posting all of his great moves on here.

Amen !! :thumbup::thumbup:

I am now officially tired to response to his more horse**** throwing at me... just dodge, shrug, and move on... I am sure many feel the same... no time for this ****...

but to his defense he's always got that 50-100 year horizon, brother !! that is when most of us here already die or are too tied to read anything.... lol :)

Last edited:

Amen !! :thumbup::thumbup:

I am now officially tired to response to his more horse**** throwing at me... just dodge, shrug, and move on... I am sure many feel the same... no time for this ****...

but to his defense he's always got that 50-100 year horizon, brother !! that is when most of us here already die or are too tied to read anything.... lol :)

The two *****s who don't know sh1t about investing. One does not believe in vaccines. One broke ass student talking out of his a55, thinking he is the next Warren Buffet. Who is the bigger ***** of the two?

Yeah i put like 11 k in emerging market last year. Of course I like the feeling of it when it goes up but it doesn't matter at this point because i am not planning to cash out until i am in my 50s. I would actually prefer it going down (i know sucks for people retiring). The only stock I care for is my company stocks. A lot of money in it and they are for short term.

Speaking like a true investing champion here. A big crash is welcomed for us, accumulator of wealth! Too bad for people in distribution phase. Hope that company stock doesn't have a WAG day.

OK Guys: Stop with the name calling. High School is over for all of us...... You each have your personal beliefs. I hope you all accumulate all of the wealth you want and you live long enough to enjoy it.

Reactions: 1 users
OK Guys: Stop with the name calling. High School is over for all of us...... You each have your personal beliefs.

I believe in world peace. But I cannot afford to not say anything when people like the great Mamus here keep calling others, who think differently than him, stupid or broke or *****s, while his records here say otherwise.

But I think you are right. Amen and halleluiah !!
:thumbup::thumbup:

I hope you all accumulate all of the wealth you want and you live long enough to enjoy it.

ya, live long enough is the key imho.

I hope to make and enjoy all the money I can while I can still gather enough strength to even walk in my "horizon" (hint: my "horizon" is surely not some 50-100ish years). May God bless me !! Cheers lol :)

I believe in world peace. But I cannot afford to not say anything when people like the great Mamus here keep calling others, who think differently than him, stupid or broke or *****s, while his records here say otherwise.

Sure you can as long as it's not more important to you be right rather than happy. Just because someone wants to act like an ass does not mean you have to oblige him.

Sure you can as long as it's not more important to you be right rather than happy. Just because someone wants to act like an ass does not mean you have to oblige him.

this is a lesson for me !! Thanks !! :thumbup::thumbup:

Yeah I got HOSED. :( Guess I'll be on beans and rice, rice and beans for a while to scrape together the money to buy some more shares :(

To add insult to injuries, WAG is planning to expedite $1 billion in cuts

this is a lesson for me !! Thanks !! :thumbup::thumbup:

I am 56 years old and have basically worked retail (with the public) since I was 15 and worked on a lunch truck. Over that time I have come to the conclusion that you can NEVER use reason with a crazy person. If you are wearing a blue shirt and someone comes up to you and says it's a lovely shade of pink. Say thank you and go one your way. No amount of logic will convince a person who thinks your blue shirt is pink, that it is actually blue...... Better to be happy and go on with your life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
But I think you are right. Amen and halleluiah !!
:thumbup::thumbup:
ya, live long enough is the key imho.

I hope to make and enjoy all the money I can while I can still gather enough strength to even walk in my "horizon" (hint: my "horizon" is surely not some 50-100ish years). May God bless me !! Cheers lol :)

The records where I made ~40k so far between my 401k, Roth IRA, rental property, and taxable stocks. Yes, that sh1tty record.

I will continue to make money they way I know how, slowly, consistently adding $$$ each year by being an average investor. You can rub together those imaginary portfolio with imaginary money and think you are better than indexers. That is completely fine with me. Hard to convinced a delusional person when statistics and academic professionals say otherwise.

http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/11/a-warning-about-that-guy-who-is-beating-the-market/
http://www.happilyeverafterinvesting.com/4-reasons-why-beat-the-stock-market/
http://www.bogleheads.org/blog/bogleheads-principles-indexing/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspi...ight-you-probably-cant-beat-the-stock-market/
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/you-cant-beat-the-market-so-stop-trying/
http://boingboing.net/2013/08/17/warren-buffet-explains-why-you.html

But ignore all these, you are have done your research. You are god. You. God. You know the future. You have skill. The best trader ever. The second coming. The 1%.

I don't have skill/luck, or need any. I only have the market as my friend. It's down, I am buying, It's up, I am buying. Thanks for capitalism. Market/Businesses as a whole will ALWAYS go up in the long run. I don't have to be a delusional genius and try to be the next Messiah, I simply have to be average. Thanks for the $$$ market!

Good game.

I am 56 years old and have basically worked retail (with the public) since I was 15 and worked on a lunch truck. Over that time I have come to the conclusion that you can NEVER use reason with a crazy person. If you are wearing a blue shirt and someone comes up to you and says it's a lovely shade of pink. Say thank you and go one your way. No amount of logic will convince a person who thinks your blue shirt is pink, that it is actually blue...... Better to be happy and go on with your life.

I%20want%20to%20believe.jpg

That I am Warren Buffet.

ok, maybe not. Too bad... the INTJ in me will research the best possible outcome and implement it 100%.

To add insult to injuries, WAG is planning to expedite $1 billion in cuts

It's good for WAG, more cuts trim the fat, more efficient, more profit. Pez might get back some of his money, and maybe more.

Momus has an unhealthy obsession with money. It seems to be the only thing in his life. It's very sad. It's also very sad the lack of class he illustrates with swearing and name calling. I'm embarrassed for him. A poor representative of the profession.

The academics and professionals want you to keep investing in the Ponzi scheme. You don't even understand you are the sheep. Hilarious.

You mean you are a poor representative of the profession? Are you talking about yourself? A pharmacist that does not believe in vaccines? The whole medical community is embarrassed for you. You are a laughing stock.

Waaaaa... "Mom, someone calling me an idiot because I am"! Cry me a river buddy.

The academic professionals REALLY have something to gain when they show indexing wins 90% of the time. I mean you should totally trust someone who has vested interest in your bank account, like your broker, your financial planner. They don't need your money. They are completely unbiased. Calling a stock market = a ponzi scheme and long term investors = sheep, this is exactly why you should quit your job. Your lack of depth about understanding a subject is remarkable. You are totally clueless. Hilarious!

The academic professionals REALLY have something to gain when they show indexing wins 90% of the time. I mean you should totally trust someone who has vested interest in your bank account, like your broker, your financial planner. They don't need your money. They are completely unbiased. Calling a stock market = a ponzi scheme and long term investors = sheep, this is exactly why you should quit your job. Your lack of depth about understanding a subject is remarkable. You are totally clueless. Hilarious!

Excellent and classic advice !!!!

May God bless America !!!! LoL :) jk

I am up 6.5% year to date! I think S & P is up 5%.

China housing bubble is bursting? Bad things always come in threes. First, the U.S., then Europe. Now China?

China Home Prices Slip Again in July
Developers Cut Prices as Sales Fall 10.5% Over First Seven Months of the Year

SHANGHAI—The average price of new homes in China fell for a third straight month in July, declining nearly twice as fast as in June, as property developers further cut prices in response to a market downturn.

Housing sales in China have fallen this year, dropping 10.5% by total value in the first seven months compared with the same period a year earlier. Analysts expect further price cuts as local governments and property developers grapple with a glut of apartments and tight credit conditions.

"I'm definitely not buying homes anymore," said Gan Xiaodong, 36 years old, who previously flipped several homes in the southwestern Chinese city of Chongqing. Mr. Gan said he was having trouble selling a particularly large house there, and "beginning in 2011, I couldn't raise the price anymore."

Real estate and construction are important drivers of China's economy, the world's second-largest. They account for more than 20% of China's gross domestic product when cement, steel, chemicals, furniture and other related industries are factored in, analysts estimate.

The average price of new homes in 70 cities slid about 0.9% in July from June, according to calculations by The Wall Street Journal based on data released Monday by the National Bureau of Statistics. This compares with a 0.5% fall in June from May and a 0.2% drop in May from April. The average price in July rose 2.4% from the same month a year earlier, less than the 4.1% increase recorded in June.

AM-BE779_CPROP_G_20140818061507.jpg

Excluding public housing, private-sector home prices fell in 64 of the 70 cities in July, up from the 55 cities that posted declines in June. Home prices rose only in the coastal Chinese city of Xiamen and in Dali, a city in southwest China. They were flat in the remaining four cities.

"Market expectations in the property market are still unclear, and home buyers chose to stay on the sidelines," Liu Jianwei, a statistician at the statistic bureau, said in a statement.

Some property developers have issued warnings in recent weeks about their first-half earnings.

Frenetic building in recent years has left many cities littered with low-occupancy ghost towns, which have eroded home prices.

"Every city has an oversupply problem. The question is the level of severity," said a housing official in Baotou, an industrial city in the Chinese region of Inner Mongolia.

According to private data provider China Real Estate Index System, 31 Chinese cities have excess housing inventories that will take more than three years to work down, after taking into account the amount of residential land sold between 2011 and 2013 and their respective annual housing sales.

Lanzhou, Ningbo and Jinan face some of the most serious oversupply problems, with inventories that will take more than five years to digest given current trends, CREIS estimated in a report last week.

To lure buyers back into the market, local authorities in around 30 cities in recent months have loosened property restrictions so home buyers can buy second or subsequent homes. Others are intervening in the credit market, asking banks to lower requirements for down payments on second homes and offering subsidies to banks that offer favorable mortgage rates. But these moves have had a limited impact on the housing market so far.

"Even after the lifting of restrictions on home purchases, sales didn't rebound in many cities. The wait-and-see sentiment is still strong," said Frank Chen, executive director at CBRE Research, a real-estate consulting company. He said that the key beneficiary of eased purchase restrictions are those looking to upgrade their homes, rather than investors.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/china-property-prices-continue-to-skid-1408327262

This page is hilarious. Can't believe people actually think Momus is the crazy one in this argument.

I got it on Google Play on 8/7, although it was a bit strange. I had my preorder in for the 18th, but on the 7th I got a notice that it was cancelled. I figured that there was some kind of delay or whatever, but I wanted to renew the preorder for the new release date. Instead, it just let me outright buy it and start reading right then.

Haven't gotten around to finishing it yet, but I like what I've read thus far.