The LGBTQ Applicant Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
interesting article I just read and wanted to share - White Coats And Closets: LGBTQ Medical Students Frequently Fear Coming Out

http://www.autostraddle.com/white-c...l-students-frequently-fear-coming-out-277993/
This hit me right in the feels. I had a really difficult first couple months of school because I was trying to figure out how to come out, who to come out to, what the hell to do. I decided to suck it up and start telling people and it has gone fine so far, at least no one has said anything to my face.
Med school is a very heteronormative environment and the most difficult part for me is not feeling truly seen - which is just part of the nature of the beast for someone like me who passes as het without wanting to. I have to give great where credit is due, my school is very gay friendly in the sense of having speakers come in, having gay standardized patients and some professors incorporate gay issues better than others. We just had a trans guy come and talk who was great (if you've seen the tweets of a transguy taking bathroom selfies it's him)

and @familyaerospace I've been rooting for you - I really really hope that you hear good news soon!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you @docdoc, @SPionic,and @touchpause13.

Mercer has already accepted everyone that they are going to accept. I've heard nothing, meaning it is a wait list or rejection. MCG, all is quiet on the Western Front although I do know that one of the interviewers was blow away by my interview (it was closed file) and was only more impressed after she opened the file. So at least I have her on my side along with one of the people from the Equality Clinic.

Reactions: 3 users
Good to hear from you. Fingers are crossed. Toes, too, at least until the foot cramps set in.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Nice to find this thread!! I'm a queer cis-woman (nontrad) engaged to another woman. Was out in my primary and incorporated it to some tiny extent on my secondaries. As most of you said, my extra-curriculars would have outed me anyway, and queer and trans healthcare is one of my big interests, so it's relevant to med school. Out of 10 MD apps, I got three interviews and out of those three interviews, two of them were with the chairs of the diversity committee.... anyone else have this experience? Was it on purpose?? Not that I'm complaining.

Btw, Jefferson made it sound like they are recruiting for lgbtq students. Got a very lgbtq-friendly vibe from there, in case anyone else is interested. :) My interviewer told me to check out the Mazzoni Center, and it seems like I'd have a lot of opportunities to work with them should I get into and matriculate from Jeff... fingers crossed!

Reactions: 1 users
Out of 10 MD apps, I got three interviews and out of those three interviews, two of them were with the chairs of the diversity committee.... anyone else have this experience? Was it on purpose?? Not that I'm complaining.

I have never interviewed with the chair of diversity, which would have been nice as a mixed race gay Jewish transsexual married to a man.

I know people who are patients at Mazzoni Center, mostly for transitioning. Some like it and some don't, at least from a patient standpoint. Can't say what it is like personally as I have never been there.

Nice to find this thread!! I'm a queer cis-woman (nontrad) engaged to another woman. Was out in my primary and incorporated it to some tiny extent on my secondaries. As most of you said, my extra-curriculars would have outed me anyway, and queer and trans healthcare is one of my big interests, so it's relevant to med school. Out of 10 MD apps, I got three interviews and out of those three interviews, two of them were with the chairs of the diversity committee.... anyone else have this experience? Was it on purpose?? Not that I'm complaining.

Btw, Jefferson made it sound like they are recruiting for lgbtq students. Got a very lgbtq-friendly vibe from there, in case anyone else is interested. :) My interviewer told me to check out the Mazzoni Center, and it seems like I'd have a lot of opportunities to work with them should I get into and matriculate from Jeff... fingers crossed!

Three of my interviews had me interviewing the week of their LGBTQA awareness weeks. I always wondered if that was on purpose. But I never interviewed with a diversity committee.

Anyone have experience transitioning while in med school? I'm starting in the fall and don't have a hope in hell of being gendered correctly then, and expect to start hormones shortly after (huzzah, health insurance!). I expect I'll be pretty visibly gender non-conforming throughout med school, and I'm not sure how my classmates/instructors/patients will deal with that.

Thank you. I will... that is assuming I don't have a heart attack if I am accepted. If you ever see a news story about a transgender student who had a heart attack upon learning they were accepted to medical school... well then you will know who I am. It's likely my friend who texted me about her evaluation that if she finds out of my death since she of course knows my real name, she will also make an announcement here saying "You heard the story of X? Yea... that's familyaerospace. You can send condolences to his family here and his favourite charities include A, B, and C if so inclined." ;)

Right now I do have to figure out who to apply to next round assuming I continue my cycles and don't listen to the premed adviser's advice. I know I want to apply to Sackler which is a school I am falling in love with. Mercer and MCG for sure. Goro suggested Touros so I have to investigate them at some point.

One of my actual physicians has decided that enough is enough and said he will write a letter for me, he actually arranged three of my shadowing opportunities, so is responsible for almost 120 hours plus we worked at the same hospital together for my medical volunteering and he was one of the people to handle the injuries when I was assaulted a year and a half ago. So hopefully this will help if he does it.

I was looking up Touro as a safety school. Great location. My impression is one of a friendly and down to earth school, which all good things in my book.

My WISH is for them to quit overdoing the "Mr./Mrs./Sir/Mam" emphasis on gender that most schools have less of. That could be a real land mine for anyone pre-transition who's sensitive about pronouns and gender labels. So it's actually more than just my wish; it would be a big step toward diversity and making EVERYONE, not only tolerated, but WELCOME.

The best I've seen are schools that use first names and "professor" more frequently.

I was looking up Touro as a safety school. Great location. My impression is one of a friendly and down to earth school, which all good things in my book.

My WISH is for them to quit overdoing the "Mr./Mrs./Sir/Mam" emphasis on gender that most schools have less of. That could be a real land mine for anyone pre-transition who's sensitive about pronouns and gender labels. So it's actually more than just my wish; it would be a big step toward diversity and making EVERYONE, not only tolerated, but WELCOME.

The best I've seen are schools that use first names and "professor" more frequently.

I met with one of my rabbis today and he also said Touro would be a decent school. He also says it is a Jewish school, I have no idea about that since I have not investigated that far but that fact cannot hurt me if it is true. It's the only DO school to really investigate although driving in the bay area would be a little frightening. He said his nephew applied there and loved the location. Something about being on an old base on an island or something not far from SF?

I would love them to stop doing the Ms/Mr thing as well. I was addressed as Mrs FamilyAerospace in the past which would have been ok if I had not had a beard at the time! All I could do was look at them and think "Seriously? I grow a better beard than most of the cisgender men I know, but by all means please use ma'am!" Sigh.

Anyone have experience transitioning while in med school? I'm starting in the fall and don't have a hope in hell of being gendered correctly then, and expect to start hormones shortly after (huzzah, health insurance!). I expect I'll be pretty visibly gender non-conforming throughout med school, and I'm not sure how my classmates/instructors/patients will deal with that.

Well I assume most of us are still pre-med. Maybe the Med Student forum would be a better place to ask. I remember transitioning in college... yea... thank goodness I NEVER have to do that again! Can't imagine transitioning during medical school. I slept a lot and ended up sick a lot during my first few months of T.

This message is mostly for future applicants, but I am happy to briefly share my story with everybody on SDN!

I am from an ethnicity that values tradition, so coming out during college was undoubtedly rough. It affected my grades and put me into depression. But, after I decided to accept who I was and became an advocate for myself (I used to be very timid), I pulled myself out of my slump/depression and improved in school. Fast forward a couple of years, I am currently deciding between attending Dartmouth and Tufts medical school (both wonderful and highly competitive institutions).

I made the decision to come out during my primary and secondary applications because (i) I want to continue working on LGBT health as a future doctor and (ii) I wanted to be completely honest about who I was (especially the questions that asked "what type of adversity did you experience?") Looking back, this was the best decision I could've made.

During all my interview days at several medical schools, my interviewers were very interested in my experience in LGBT health (I conducted public health research on gay men) as well as my coming out story, and I truly believe it made me "different" than the normal applicant. In fact, at one of my interviews, we shared a very emotional moment even though I could tell he was slightly close-minded about LGBT individuals. Please note I didn't disclose my sexual orientation to differentiate myself from other applicants, but because of the aforementioned reasons above.

For the next set of LGBT applicants who are questioning whether to disclose their sexual orientation, ask yourself whether this is something you're willing to discuss openly in interviews (no matter how open or close-minded the person is). If you are, then I do believe that disclosing your sexual orientation can work in your favor IF you are genuine and honest about your story. I also would strongly recommend researching schools ahead of time. Both Dartmouth and Tufts provided such a warm welcome to LGBT applicants, but I do not believe (at this time) every school would provide the same welcome that I experienced at these schools.

If any future applicants have any questions or need any advice, I am more than happy to help. There is an under-representation of LGBT individuals in medicine, and I want to help change that!

I met with one of my rabbis today and he also said Touro would be a decent school. He also says it is a Jewish school, I have no idea about that since I have not investigated that far but that fact cannot hurt me if it is true. It's the only DO school to really investigate although driving in the bay area would be a little frightening. He said his nephew applied there and loved the location. Something about being on an old base on an island or something not far from SF?

I would love them to stop doing the Ms/Mr thing as well. I was addressed as Mrs FamilyAerospace in the past which would have been ok if I had not had a beard at the time! All I could do was look at them and think "Seriously? I grow a better beard than most of the cisgender men I know, but by all means please use ma'am!" Sigh.
Why only Touro? DO schools are very friendly to non traditional applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone nervous about housing? I've never been "loud and proud" about my sexuality so I'm still not good at coming out. I definitely want housemates because it's more affordable and I don't like being alone but I also don't want them to be offended by the fact that I'm gay. I don't really know when to bring this up and it's stressing me out. I'm meeting with a landlord and looking at apartments tomorrow and this piece of the puzzle is putting a damper on something that would otherwise be exciting

You can't really make them more or less offended about you being gay. That's out of your control. But if I were you, I wouldn't want to have housemates who I didn't feel comfortable around with this topic or whose curiosity I had to constantly satisfy. I've only ever lived with queer people. You can make a post on the facebook page saying that you are seeking LGBTQ-friendly roommates... coming out is easier over the internet and it just puts everything out on the table. For all you know, there are other incoming students with the exact same worries as you right now who would jump at the opportunity.

Anyone nervous about housing? I've never been "loud and proud" about my sexuality so I'm still not good at coming out. I definitely want housemates because it's more affordable and I don't like being alone but I also don't want them to be offended by the fact that I'm gay. I don't really know when to bring this up and it's stressing me out. I'm meeting with a landlord and looking at apartments tomorrow and this piece of the puzzle is putting a damper on something that would otherwise be exciting

I think the easiest way to "come out" without making it too obvious in this scenario would just mention in any Facebook/etc-searching post when you talk about yourself that you're "a member of the lgbtq alliance" or whatever on campus? Or future member. Anyone uncomfortable with that won't bother responding.

Why only Touro? DO schools are very friendly to non traditional applicants.

This means you didn't hear the story about round 1. I've applied DO before and had a school where I interviewed inform me that because I was transsexual, they would need to accept a mtf to partner with me in OMM class because they had to have a completely sex balanced class for OMM so everyone could get more comfortable touching the opposite sex. Who is the opposite of a ftm? An mtf. They could not pair me with a cisgender male or a cisgender female. That was GA PCOM. Which that probably was for the best, my PCP has a lot of GA PCOM students rotating through the office and they have never impressed me.

Touro is supposed to also be Jewish if Rabbi K is correct.

This means you didn't hear the story about round 1. I've applied DO before and had a school where I interviewed inform me that because I was transsexual, they would need to accept a mtf to partner with me in OMM class because they had to have a completely sex balanced class for OMM so everyone could get more comfortable touching the opposite sex. Who is the opposite of a ftm? An mtf. They could not pair me with a cisgender male or a cisgender female. That was GA PCOM. Which that probably was for the best, my PCP has a lot of GA PCOM students rotating through the office and they have never impressed me.

Touro is supposed to also be Jewish if Rabbi K is correct.

Hmm that seems weird. I don't think the majority of the schools would have that stance. If they wanted to put you with the opposite sex than they could of just paired you with a female. I'm sure most schools would have that stance. Yes Touro is Jewish affiliated.

Hmm that seems weird. I don't think the majority of the schools would have that stance. If they wanted to put you with the opposite sex than they could of just paired you with a female. I'm sure most schools would have that stance. Yes Touro is Jewish affiliated.

The point was to allow people to get used to touching the opposite sex. I am used to working with female parts as well as male ones. I cannot be shocked unless one is hiding a green and purple tentacle underneath their clothing and even then I would not notice. The partner would have to get used to dealing with opposite sex anatomy too. I made a joke that perhaps all the students were all virgins so had no experience with touching the opposite sex. Someone (an attending not affiliated with the school but who I am close with) said I am probably right. ;-) A few years ago, I had heard most had that stance (same as PCOM) but only found out AFTER I applied. Things might have changed now a few years down the road. They also ma'amed me a number of times. Did you see the comment I posted about being called Mrs FamilyAerospace while having a beard? It happened there, only time I have been ma'amed in medical school interview.

The Touros being Jewish thing is a benefit to me. They would ignore the fact have an Orthodox Jewish education which I did after my masters degree. They might even understand why I did it, which is because we are all supposed to do at least a year. I could not squeeze it in any other time except for during gap years and I had to do it after I transitioned.

How is sexuality relevant to anything application related? While I do know that some people may portray a stronger appearence toward either being masculine or feminine, I dont really understand how this is anyone's businees ADCOM wise. Even if you are male or female or transgender, professional attire can be unisex. So why is it important to dicuss a private personal matter on an application or in an interview? Im pretty sure whom you have sex with doesnt define you and also, if you do bring it up during an application or interview, do you also see it necessary to bring it up when you apply to jobs or have job interviews? Except for maybe being able to understand social issues with a different outlook, how does this prove or disprove your ability to study hard, work hard, make it through medical school, and be a great physician?
**before anyone says i am insensitive or rude, I am just honestly asking with the utmost respect**

This is a thread for LGBTQ applicants where we can discuss our issues and support one an8. If that doesn't apply to you, you should go ahead and make your own thread.

Reactions: 7 users
@Chimichica, the reason touchpause gave you that answer is because past LGBT threads had to be shut down because it was constantly people coming in asking for justification for the thread. It became more of the focus than the original purpose of the thread. If you do a search, you can probably find those past threads that were closed which offered ample discussion on your question.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is sexuality relevant to anything application related? While I do know that some people may portray a stronger appearence toward either being masculine or feminine, I dont really understand how this is anyone's businees ADCOM wise. Even if you are male or female or transgender, professional attire can be unisex. So why is it important to dicuss a private personal matter on an application or in an interview? Im pretty sure whom you have sex with doesnt define you and also, if you do bring it up during an application or interview, do you also see it necessary to bring it up when you apply to jobs or have job interviews? Except for maybe being able to understand social issues with a different outlook, how does this prove or disprove your ability to study hard, work hard, make it through medical school, and be a great physician?
**before anyone says i am insensitive or rude, I am just honestly asking with the utmost respect**
It shapes the lens through which you view everything. Those that grow up in low SES households have their outlooks shaped by that environment, and LGBTQ individuals have their view shaped by the environment they are in just the same. For me, being gay has given me insight into how marginalized groups feel when attempting to access healthcare. Many physicians don't understand LGBTQ specific issues, and can benefit by being educated alongside those who do.

Reactions: 9 users
How is sexuality relevant to anything application related?

I've been asked a related question a few times when I was an LGBT health speaker.

LGBT people are not welcomed by physicians and many of us die due to lack of medical care because physicians don't treat us. The lack of family and other issues also end up causing some of us to engage in less than healthy behaviours such as increased smoking and such. Some of us have seen this happen in our communities and would like to fix the huge health care disparity. The LGBT community is incredibly underserved and let's not even talk about the intersexed community. I once had a patient in the ER, an older gay black guy (a bearish type) who flat out stated he was scared because he got more crap for being gay than for being black. Think about that. He wanted me to do one of the tests on him which I was not qualified to perform, but I pulled in one of my friends (straight black guy who was very LGBT friendly) to do the test while I stood there and held the guy's hand as he did not want to be the only LGBT person there just in case.

I am a gay identified female to male transsexual and I have different needs than the "average" male as well as the "average" female. By looking at me, you would not know that I need to get Pap Smears every so often (which reminds me to make an appointment so thanks). I had one nurse who was so uncomfortable with me that she kept saying "down there" which as I had just had a pretty major foot problem, it took a while to realize she meant a little further north. ;) All sorts of metrics have to be considered on a one on one basis over if the goal is to be in the male side or female side. For example, my ideal weight is somewhat higher than women, but not as high as men. Some of my lab results do the same.

Would you know what to do if my hairy, bearded self came in pregnant? Would you continue to be respectful or would you default to calling me "she" and allow your staff members to treat me as a freak? Come to think of it, would you even think to test me for pregnancy if I came in complaining of vommitting? Or would you assume I was a cisgender male with a wife once you found out I was married? They sure as heck didn't know what to do when I was pregnant and this was before the Thomas Beattie pregnant man thing. He was not the first and will not be the last. I was treated like a freak and was denied medical care. I gave birth in a trailer in a trailer park. This would not have happened if that doctor had a more LGBT welcoming practice or heck even knew LGBT people.

Homophobia is incredibly common and transphobia even more so yet there are LGBT people that need help. Many states you can be fired for being gay, even more so for being transgender. Laws are continuously changing the landscape making it more difficult for us to find jobs, get house, get medical care, etc. My partner had to move out of state in order to get a job because people found out about me. My friend Traci died of cancer because of hatred against the LGBT community. My friend Michelle nearly died. Every day (or so it seems) I hear a new story of someone nearly dying from some form of anti LGBT malarkey.

The LGBT community also has it's own culture which honestly if you are not a part of you might not understand it much less how to communicate with us. It comes from being a stigmatized part of society where we are treated as second class citizens and do not have full rights in almost any matter. Some things are still very quiet and hard to talk about outside the community especially if you don't know if that person is going to be ok to talk to or not. In fact in some countries, we literally have a separate language than everyone else... Polari for instance which is undergoing a revival.

I do agree with all three of my colleagues above.

Reactions: 7 users
I was completely out during med school, although I don't participate in the "culture". Of course, it was easier to avoid judgment being on a Caribbean island with thousands of other kids working their ass off.

It is important when doctoring to sublimate some of your own opinions and inclination in order to provide care for the patient. I would never affirm phobic or bigoted viewpoints, but I also learned to not take offense at religious comments and also elderly people "marrying" me to the Asian female student next to me (you guys make a cute couple!)

@Chimichica, the reason touchpause gave you that answer is because past LGBT threads had to be shut down because it was constantly people coming in asking for justification for the thread. It became more of the focus than the original purpose of the thread. If you do a search, you can probably find those past threads that were closed which offered ample discussion on your question.

This is a thread for LGBTQ applicants where we can discuss our issues and support one an8. If that doesn't apply to you, you should go ahead and make your own thread.

Whoa there I didn't mean to offend. I just wanted to know since my cousin is applying to med school and asked me if it was a good idea to bring it up, so I thought I would ask here. I just don't want to see him get ruled out for it because we live in the south and people anywhere but especially here can be closed minded. So I was wondering what benefit can come of discussing it with ADCOMS.

Whoa there I didn't mean to offend. I just wanted to know since my cousin is applying to med school and asked me if it was a good idea to bring it up, so I thought I would ask here. I just don't want to see him get ruled out for it because we live in the south and people anywhere but especially here can be closed minded. So I was wondering what benefit can come of discussing it with ADCOMS.
The question is discussed many times in this thread if you had read it from the beginning.

He will not be the only LGBT applicant from the South. Read my posts. I live in Georgia.

For me it's important to come out. It's important to let the society know that we're here and we're not going anywhere. We have different needs but we're not special or freaks. We want to be love and receive the respect we deserve. The people in my community and I are human beings. Stop trying to take away our basic human rights. I want the younger generation to know that they're not alone. I want them to know that you can achieve your dreams no matter the circumstances. I want them know that if your family doesn't love or accept you, there's a whole community out there that will love and welcome you with open arms and open heart.

Has anyone on this thread applied to OHSU? If so, what is your impression about their emphassis on recruiting LGBTQ applicants? I know that they are extremely vocal about diversity at their school, but I don't know intent they are about actively seeking out applicants. I interviewed there and I am nervously awaiting my fate. Any insight would be appreciated.

Sorry if you felt attacked. I think that reading text online as opposed to hearing someone's voice/tone/inflections in person can often lead to misinterpretation. At first glance your post seemed a bit hostile, but re-reading it, it was just the way I personally perceived it haha.

ANYWAY. For me, I did feel that it was important to include my sexuality in my application. The way in which we present ourselves on our applications is in part, just an open slate for us to brag about ourselves and talk about all that we have done. In doing so, we hope to give the impression and prove to committees that we are good people that are capable of becoming incredible physicians. Some people talk about the mental growth they had in taking a bunch of difficult classes. A few talk about the volunteering they have done and how they have grown emotionally. Others talk about the physical growth they achieved through participating in college athletics. We show and talk about difficult things that we have accomplished or experienced to prove that we can do hard things and at the same time are worthy of the honor and challenge of becoming a physician. For me, being gay was just a really freaking hard thing I went through. It helped me grow emotionally, as well as opened my eyes to pain and suffering in much more than just physical ways. As a result, I feel like I have gained a greater capacity to extend compassion and understanding to others. I most definitely feel like including this information was pertinent to my application because it not only showed how I dealt with something very difficult, but also showed what I learned and how I grew from it.

In addition, even more than adding to my application, including my sexuality was a way for me to filter out schools. I mean of course, schools are filtering through thousands of applications, but at the same time, I think it is important to remember that we as applicants are also filtering through schools. If a school was seriously going to discriminate or judge me simply based on who I am attracted to than it was certainly not a school or environment I wanted to be in in the first place. Medical school is going to be hard enough haha I don't need the added stress of unsupportive peers and faculty to be all uptight about my personal business.

2015 LGBTQ and Diversity Health Professional/ Residency Career Fair at Hunter College, New York City, May 1, 2015 from 2-8pm

The Career Fair is sponsored by BNGAP: Building the Next Generation of Academic Physicians. It is intended for:

· College students or college graduates interested in applying to medical, dental, nursing, or physician assistant school.
· Medical students who are interested in applying to residency programs.

Registration is FREE! Register at http://bngap.org/2015-diversity-hea...ofessionalresidency-career-fair-registration/

The conference is held at Hunter College, West Lobby, at 68th St and Lexington Ave (6 train to 68th street). Over 30 academic health centers and organizations will be tabling to recruit diverse trainees (for example, racial and ethnic minorities, women, and LGBTQ individuals) into their health career training programs, residency programs, and career development/pipeline programs. Workshops will be offered on how to be a successful applicant to pipeline programs and health career training programs (limited seating is available so register early).

Agenda: FRIDAY, MAY 1, 2015

2:00-3:15pm: Workshop A: Dental, Medical, Nursing, Physician Assistant, and Social Work Perspectives on Working at an Academic Health Center
Speakers:
  • Carmen Milagros Vélez Vega, PhD, MSW, Chair of the Social Sciences Department at the University of Puerto Rico, Medical Sciences Campus, School of Public Health
  • Elizabeth Lorde-Rollins MD
  • Anthony Pho NP, Weill-Cornell Medical College
  • Herminio Perez, DMD, MBA Director of Student & Multicultural Affairs, Rutgers New Jersey Dental School
3:00-4:15: Workshop B: Taking Advantage of Pipeline Programs to Reach Your Dream of Becoming a Health Professional
Speakers:
  • Norma I. Poll-Hunter PhD, Senior Director, Human Capital Portfolio, Association of American Medical Colleges
  • Elizabeth Wilson-Anstey MA, EdD Candidate, Assistant Dean for Student Affairs, Co-Director, Travelers Summer Research Fellowship, Program for Premedical Students, Weill Cornell Medical College
  • Dolores Anthony-Leslie, Project Director, Office for Diversity and Community Engagement, Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
  • Janice Blake MPH, CHES, Director, HRTP: A Public Health Internship Program, NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
  • Sharon L. Milgram MD, Director, Office of Intramural Training & Education, NIH Office of the Director
5:00-8:00 pm: Career Fair featuring the following organizations (as of 4/10/15):
  • American Dental Education Association
  • Association of American Medical Colleges
  • Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
  • Eastern Virginia Medical School
  • Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
  • Health Research Training Program, NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
  • Hispanic Serving Health Professions Schools
  • Mayo Medical School – Mayo Clinic
  • New York University College of Dentistry/College of Nursing
  • Rutgers New Jersey Medical School/School of Dental Medicine
  • Tour 4 Diversity
  • Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine

JP Sanchez MD, MPH
[email protected]

P.I., Building the Next Generation of Academic Physicians Initiative
Assistant Dean, Diversity and Inclusion
Assistant Professor, Emergency Medicine
Rutgers, New Jersey Medical School

Dear FamilyAerospace

On behalf of Dr. Peter F. Buckley, Dean of the Medical College of Georgia, it is my pleasure to offer you a position in the 2015 entering class of the Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Regents University.

*reads email, faints*

Reactions: 31 users
Dear FamilyAerospace

On behalf of Dr. Peter F. Buckley, Dean of the Medical College of Georgia, it is my pleasure to offer you a position in the 2015 entering class of the Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Regents University.

*reads email, faints*

Omg omg omg omg. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm so happy for you!!!:soexcited::claps::banana:

This does not seem real! Thank you!

Hahaha it's a crazy feeling isn't it! When I got my acceptance, I was shaking and sweating in a VERY not attractive way hahaha. You're going to be a great doctor though, you definitely deserve this! :)

Dear FamilyAerospace

*reads email, faints*

Yayyyyyyyy!!!! I have been rooting for you for over two years! This makes my day! I hope we cross paths some day!!

Dear FamilyAerospace

*reads email, faints*
Just got out of a rough neuroanatomy exam and saw this
Wow. I've been hoping I'd see this post from you for the past couple years. I'm incredibly happy for you - I've always believed you would make a wonderful doctor and I'm so happy to hear about your acceptance.
Congrats dr. Familyaerospace

Reactions: 4 users
Dear FamilyAerospace

*reads email, faints*
I HAVE BEEN STALKING your MD Applicants page. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Just a thought for anyone that's looking to apply on the DO side of things this year- UNECOM is an extremely LGBTQ friendly school. Astoundingly so. Our medical school has a week every year dedicated to LGBTQ issues, a very active club that brings in speakers and hosts events and panels, etc.

Just got out of a rough neuroanatomy exam and saw this
Wow. I've been hoping I'd see this post from you for the past couple years. I'm incredibly happy for you - I've always believed you would make a wonderful doctor and I'm so happy to hear about your acceptance.
Congrats dr. Familyaerospace

Thank you! I really don't believe it but I guess I will believe it when they cash the check. I went down to one of my doctors in person and waited for him to get done with rounding. I scared all the ladies in the front office!

I HAVE BEEN STALKING your MD Applicants page. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Thank you!

@kewlboy88 thank you so much for posting this!! I'm getting ready to apply and your words really resonated with me. Congratulations on your acceptances! :clap:

Best of luck and let me know if you have any questions! Remember to stay strong throughout the application cycle.

Hello, everybody. I've been on SDN a while, and I didn't really think I'd have a lot to talk about in regards to my orientation and applying. (I'm a cis lesbian.)

Well, that changed a month and a half ago. My family disowned me and cut me off financially. I had to flee in the middle of the day, get a bus ticket, hail a cab, ride the bus (and sit in the wee hours of the morning in south Atlanta station) and now I live with my fiancee (still reeling, it happened very recently) in her dad's place normally, we're at her mother's because his AC failed and that's no bueno in SC.

I'm now looking for work so I can pay for a place where myself and my fiancee can live, so she can finish her degree while I can get some funds together and go back next year. It's not in any way what I planned for, and I got a lot of things done in my three years at my current institution, so I'm not completely sunk, but it's hard.

I plan on applying soon, although that might be more like c/o 2021 or 2022. ^^

But it's good to see some friendly faces!

Hello, everybody. I've been on SDN a while, and I didn't really think I'd have a lot to talk about in regards to my orientation and applying. (I'm a cis lesbian.)

Well, that changed a month and a half ago. My family disowned me and cut me off financially. I had to flee in the middle of the day, get a bus ticket, hail a cab, ride the bus (and sit in the wee hours of the morning in south Atlanta station) and now I live with my fiancee (still reeling, it happened very recently) in her dad's place normally, we're at her mother's because his AC failed and that's no bueno in SC.

I'm now looking for work so I can pay for a place where myself and my fiancee can live, so she can finish her degree while I can get some funds together and go back next year. It's not in any way what I planned for, and I got a lot of things done in my three years at my current institution, so I'm not completely sunk, but it's hard.

I plan on applying soon, although that might be more like c/o 2021 or 2022. ^^

But it's good to see some friendly faces!

Sorry you had to go through that :( Glad to hear that you have a support system through your fiancee. Hopefully things get better from here!

How are you all feeling about the SCOTUS ruling today! Gonna have so much fun at NY Pride this weekend.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm elated! I'm going to my first Pride parade in October, I think. :)

I don't know how I'm going to celebrate, but I'm certainly in a celebratory mood. :D

I'm from NYC, and this is the one weekend I won't be in town till Sunday...I'm gonna deff celebrate when I get back Sunday afternoon, though! If anyone needs a bud to hang with, hit me up (I promise I'm not a serial killer).

Celebrating this historic for all of us day :love:

i3t4qr.jpg

What up, LGBT applicants

-Fellow gay