The long shot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mortivore

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've spent some time exploring the forums to get the scoop on this whole crazy med school experience but I'm looking for advice to my unique situation.

A quick bio on myself. I'm a non traditional, I'm 29, married, 1 kid, just starting my undergraduate studies. My ultimate goal is to attend med school but I wonder if the stars are arrayed against me. I did pretty well in high school, nabbed a few college credits and joined the Marine Corp right out of high school. I got out, worked a few odd jobs until I got the job I have now. I've been an inbound lead man/ supervisor for a national ltl freight company for the past 8 years. The parts of the med school admissions that bother me are the ECs and my location restrictions. I'm the parent of a non verbal autistic child, it has taken a great deal of work/time to get him into services to help him with his disability.

I could get some volunteering and shadowing done in my undergraduate time but I don't have a clue how to get research. I would assume that being a former marine/supervisor would count towards leadership.

The other big thing is I realistically can only apply to the med school in my city.( it's literally right down the road) All of my son's autism support is in the local area, one of which is at the med school. I therefore can't leave the area. I'm really passionate about medicine and my other thought is to get my BSN and work my way up to an APN, tho I'm male and not sure if there is a stigma associated with that. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Who cares about stigma? If there is one and it's in your way, begin breaking it. As for your limited geographic reach, you have a lot of work to do before thats a real concern for you. It sounds like you have about four years of undergrad work before you're ready to apply. That said, when you get to that point, consider all of your options; PA, PT, RN, etc. There are a lot of great jobs in the allied health professions that can satiate most professional ambitions, it's rather the "idea" of being a doctor, the top dog, that is alluring to most. Seriously though, in fairness to your family consider these other options. The road to becoming a physician is a selfish path.

When and if you get to the point of applying to medical schools, again, consider all of your options. Could you find other resources for your child elsewhere? While the transition would no doubt be difficult, they do likely exists, especially around another med school. That said, apply broadly even if your heart is set on staying in your current location. Med schools can see where else you've applied and been accepted, and some might say that leverage helps gain more acceptances.

As far as ECs and clinical experience, they're a necessary part of everyone's application. While you could possibly get in w/0, the stars are certainly aligned against you should you apply without them. Chances are slim. If you're committed to it, consider getting your EMT or CNA while going to school and finding a job with that. It may not pay the same, but the years before med school are lavished with poverty. Find some community based volunteering now, and stick with it until application time. In my opinion, it is better to have fewer hours spread over a long-timeline, showing a dedicated commitment, rather than many hours spread over a few months, as if you're just filling in the holes of your application.

Anyhow, as far as your circumstances go, while they add challenges, people with similar ones have been there before and survived. You're not too old, it's never too late, and if you truly want to become a doctor, you certainly can. Best of luck.

I've spent some time exploring the forums to get the scoop on this whole crazy med school experience but I'm looking for advice to my unique situation.

A quick bio on myself. I'm a non traditional, I'm 29, married, 1 kid, just starting my undergraduate studies. My ultimate goal is to attend med school but I wonder if the stars are arrayed against me. I did pretty well in high school, nabbed a few college credits and joined the Marine Corp right out of high school. I got out, worked a few odd jobs until I got the job I have now. I've been an inbound lead man/ supervisor for a national ltl freight company for the past 8 years. The parts of the med school admissions that bother me are the ECs and my location restrictions. I'm the parent of a non verbal autistic child, it has taken a great deal of work/time to get him into services to help him with his disability.

I could get some volunteering and shadowing done in my undergraduate time but I don't have a clue how to get research. I would assume that being a former marine/supervisor would count towards leadership.

The other big thing is I realistically can only apply to the med school in my city.( it's literally right down the road) All of my son's autism support is in the local area, one of which is at the med school. I therefore can't leave the area. I'm really passionate about medicine and my other thought is to get my BSN and work my way up to an APN, tho I'm male and not sure if there is a stigma associated with that. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Research experience isn't critical. The big hurdle I'm seeing is your limitations on relocating. Med school isn't a process where you pick the school, then the intern year/residency, then the fellowship, then the job, all nicely convenient to where you want to live. Odds are very good you'd need to relocate at least once, if not up to four or five times. The person who can choose to apply to one or two schools and get them is rare. I usually advise that if theres only one med school that works for you, don't bother. It's all about what they decide is "good fit" and you don't have control. Residency/fellowship as well. So your family situation may not make this realistic. Also your role in child care is going to be markedly diminished from your clinical years on. You will be doing overnights and work weekends throughout late med school and residency. Make sure your spouse knows that. Unless you anticipate that there are a Bunch of places you could move to where you could duplicate your child's services and unless your spouse is on board with the increased work load while you are away learning to be a doctor, I'm not sure how realistic this is. Ancillary health care fields might be a More forgiving option.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
First off, many thanks for your service to your country. AdComs have a soft spot for veterans.

A quick bio on myself. I'm a non traditional, I'm 29, married, 1 kid, just starting my undergraduate studies. My ultimate goal is to attend med school but I wonder if the stars are arrayed against me. I did pretty well in high school, nabbed a few college credits and joined the Marine Corp right out of high school. I got out, worked a few odd jobs until I got the job I have now. I've been an inbound lead man/ supervisor for a national ltl freight company for the past 8 years. The parts of the med school admissions that bother me are the ECs and my location restrictions.

For this adventure, you're going to have to have your ducks in a row and make sure you can do medical school AND have a special needs child. Time mgt is a crucial skill for medical students.

I'm the parent of a non verbal autistic child, it has taken a great deal of work/time to get him into services to help him with his disability.

Don't worry about research. We recognize that non-trads have a life and you'll get cut some slack. Correct about the leadership

could get some volunteering and shadowing done in my undergraduate time but I don't have a clue how to get research. I would assume that being a former marine/supervisor would count towards leadership.

It's unrealistic to put all your eggs in one basket. Suppose you don't get in? All that prepping for nothing? In that regard, you'll need to make a careful consideration of career decision. There are plenty of other medical fields where you can help people.

The other big thing is I realistically can only apply to the med school in my city.( it's literally right down the road) All of my son's autism support is in the local area, one of which is at the med school. I therefore can't leave the area.

There is no stigma.
I'm really passionate about medicine and my other thought is to get my BSN and work my way up to an APN, tho I'm male and not sure if there is a stigma associated with that. Any advice is greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

The other big thing is I realistically can only apply to the med school in my city.( it's literally right down the road) All of my son's autism support is in the local area, one of which is at the med school. I therefore can't leave the area.

In addition to the above statements, I would get the basic classes underway, see how your grades are and get a book of med school stats from AAMC to see what they look for in applicants. Your military experience is a big plus. I had a friend in a similar situation, unable to relocate, and after 3 or 4 tries got into the school she wanted to attend. it wasn't an easy road, though.