Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

The MCAT Twitter Thread (AKA MCAT-oholics)

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by ridethecliche, 02.18.11.

1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I haven't started reviewing orgo yet, but from practice exams I've been doing okay just reasoning stuff out in my head. I know that really doesn't help, but I just think through it like:

Okay these are the reagents. What are the probably rxns? Can the products they give be made from them? I know this will take time, but honestly if you can in practice, sit down and draw out the mechanisms for tons of rxns. If you can see how things move around and where the deterministic step happens, you can look at reactants and products and go "you're either this, this, or that" most of the time, that eliminates 2-3 of the answers!

If you're not done most of your reviewing, don't burn through the AAMC's. I had the opinion earlier that you should take one every other week, but I've since changed my mind. I plan on taking an aamc every 3 weeks, but I want to save 4-5 for the last month of prep. I would recommend that you buy other exams so that your AAMC's accurately predict your scores.

And come on! Decay is just simple memorization. Do practice problems and you'll get it. Quantum numbers are the same thing. They're annoying, but easy. Make notecards and review them.

Save the brain cells for the harder stuff!
    And don't you worry about my liver. They regenerate, you know!

That and I'm such a bloody lightweight that I'm more in danger of wanting to go to bed after 2 drinks than I am of actually doing any damage. Yeah, it's impressive.
  2. elusiveCHILD

elusiveCHILD Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    LOL @ridethecliche but I feel you. When do you take your test?
  3. elusiveCHILD

Pre-Medical
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I'm doing the same as well! I was suppose to take mine in next month on the 29th but I spent last month reviewing Orgo and just not retaining as much info as I should. But best wishes to you as well!
  4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    May 21st is the date I'm currently signed up for. I'm going to change it to the 20th so I can go visit my alma matter for reunion and commencement weekend. That will be the bestest post MCAT present evah!
  5. elusiveCHILD

Pre-Medical
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    ^ That's awesome, I know lol it will be PARTYYYYYYYYYYYYYY time!
  6. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yeah, this weekend was the first time I've gone out since Jan...

It was nice to see my friends and I'm going to plan on going out and seeing people once every other week or so. It's easier to work hard when you know you have a break planned if you get done what you're supposed to.

On the note of getting stuff done:

Today I:
    -Made notecards for hormones
    -Reread the reproduction section
    -Read EK Chem Ch6.
    -Now I'm going to write up the 2nd draft of Personal Statement that I hope to have done tonight.

Tomorrow:
    -Notecards for reproduction
    -Take notes on EK Chem Ch6.
    -Read EK Ch5 physics if I have time.

Goal is to finish Inorganic Chem by the end of the week. Whatup!
  7. berriesandcream

berriesandcream

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Thanks for the info, Cliche!
    Though you and Entrope are soooo intimidating, like damn! haha
    but good thing about your liver huh? :p
    I know most of you guys are dude, but I must share.
    I'm going out tonight with a bunch of friends after SO long. Like it felt weird dressing up, curling my hair, doing my makeup. I felt like a girl again! haha MCAT totally defeminizes me sometimes!
    Dinner time, and then back to studying (as in, bring on the sweatpants, glasses, and high bun :thumbup:)
    Enjoy your night, everyone!
  8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If I didn't work in an office, I would wear chucks, jeans, and a hoody every. single. day.

And call me rtc for short. I use this tag on a few forums and that's what I go by :)

Remember that orgo is basically a game ala chess. Each piece has a few rules for movement, and you need to learn those to play. Once you know the rules, the puzzles become less puzzling.

Enjoy your night out.
  9. berriesandcream

berriesandcream

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yup, I agree, I love my everyday jeans, tshirt, pair of black chucks and a pair of earings. It just works and is OH SO manageable. BTW, I never understood how girls could wear dresses and pumps to school. Might be the chem major in me, but I would never be able to do my labs that way :eek:
    Oh okay, rtc thanks, you're my ochem inspiration!

And thank you! tonight was fun. Nice kick off to the week with two exams and major experiment in research :)
  10. ilovemcat

ilovemcat

Pre-Medical
    Anyone else feel overwhelmed by the amount of material in TBR? My god. It feels like it'll take centuries to complete. I have TBR Gen Chem. I can only imagine how others who are using the entire set feel.
  11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You could be using EK like me. Then you'd have to buy nova because EK physics is a little lacking.

What made you get TBR Chem? What are you using for the rest of your prep?
  12. berriesandcream

berriesandcream

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    rtc, are you using only EK and nova physics to study?
  13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have all of EK (including 101/1001 books), NOVA for physics, and all the Kaplan books from the course that were given to me by a friend that got into med school and wanted them out of her life.

So for stuff in chem that I don't get, I'll reference Kaplan. I have an old orgo textbook for any reactions that I need reference too. Unfortunately, I learn orgo by mechanism and have to draw things out to see them. Lets see how that works out.

For exams, I have the Gold standard exams and the TBR exams, plus I'll do the remaining AAMC's closer to my test date.

How about you?
  14. berriesandcream

berriesandcream

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Nice!
    I have old PR and kaplan books from friends. I personally use the PR, seem easier to understand, but I refer to kaplan for the star ratings haha
    I also have the EK series, but I'm not sure if I'll use the content portion of it. Maybe because it's shorter, I'll read it after reading all the PR. it'll help to reinforce and relearn stuff.
    I have PR and kaplan and AAMC exams (again, friends gave me the access code)
    so, I think I'm set for now haha
    how are the GC books?
    Also, I don't know if I'm missing out on BR books. I already have enough, so probably not :p
  15. ilovemcat

ilovemcat

Pre-Medical
    I'm using a mixture of TBR (GC), TPR (old books from friend), and EK (which I bought a long time ago). I actually didn't know what TBR was until I registered here, so eventually I bought their Gen. Chem book. It's been extremely helpful, but there's just so many passages. I don't think I'll finish all of them in time.

If you're considering them, I don't think you'll regret it. Just a heads up though: The S&H is a little pricey so buying a pair of books could add up, but because the demand is so high, you'll be able to sell them for nearly what you paid.
  16. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm happy with the EK GC. NOVA physics looks good. With all of EK and all of Kaplan, I think that I should be fine.

At this point of time, adding more study materials is just going to cause issues because I'll feel obligated to finish everything.

Once I'm 'done' cotent I'm going to use GS exams for during the week practice and use one BS/PS section at a time, then do review from kaplan or EK books. Also doing 1001 during this time. 1 verbal test from 101 every week. And a TBR exam 1x a week, replaced by aamc as I inch closer to the date.

I honestly haven't really looked at most of the kaplan stuff that I have. I'll do it for chemistry to compliment EK, but I don't think that I'll need it for bio because EK is pretty thorough.

Ok now time for bed. I need to be at work by 9!

Atleast I got 2 decent pages of a personal statement written!
  17. raltima07

raltima07

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    What are you guys opinion on TPR Biology? I'm using it right now and it is pretty good, but very detailed. I complement it with EK to know what is required minimum, and that way I think I am building a good base. Or at least getting 85% of the biology EK questions right.

Hopefully, Bio + verbal will make up for my PS...
  18. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Meh. Another day that didn't quite go according to plan.

Only got done the reproduction notecards and didn't get to take notes on the chapter of chem that I read yesterday, so I'm re-evaluating.

Going to get to work at 7-7:30 tomorrow AM so I can leave by 4 and get done with gym, etc and study from 7:30-11:30.
    Bam!

Going to take notes on EK chem ch 6 and read ch 7. Also going to try to read a chapter of physics if I have time. I think I'm going to either take a half day on friday or leave early if I've worked enough hours.

My end goals for this week are to finish 2 chapters of chem and 1 chapter of physics by the end of friday so that I can take my first TBR test on saturday.

Dun Dun Dun!

Oh, the reward for sticking to the plan is going to be a sunday spent at the St. Patty's day parade in south boston. woot!
  19. ModusProbandi

ModusProbandi

SDN 2+ Year Member
    It's very information dense. I like the questions in passage. I doubt I will remember all the info though. I use the AAMC checklist as a guide to what I need to know instead of just memorizing everything.
  20. sacha

sacha

just got back from the library, which i've decided will be my new hangout. i got twice as much done in a few hours compared to studying at home. About halfway through physics now, though I think I need to supplement EK physics with Nova or TBR. Well, i'm calling it a night.
  21. ilovemcat

ilovemcat

Pre-Medical
    saf##*(0sffa!! I have to move my test up 3 weeks due to an Internship Program that starts in May. My cortisol levels just exploded. :scared:
  22. ilovemcat

ilovemcat

Pre-Medical
    Damnn, if those are your legs ... holla! :cool: :thumbup:
  23. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ok, so there were three reasons that I got less done than I wanted to yesterday.

1) I started a little late as I met a friend for coffee to discuss some work issues/prospects.
    2) I met a friend to study. We were study buddies about 4 years ago in college and it turned out that we were both in town and studying for the MCAT. Funny how that works, huh?
    3) I made friends with a cute girl at the coffee shop and was a little distracted for the majority of the night.

Oops...
  24. ilovemcat

ilovemcat

Pre-Medical
    Haha, ...can't blame ya for that man. :laugh:
  25. cartman1980

cartman1980

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    brings back some memories... oh those good ol days of freedom ;)
  26. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I disagree.

The MCAT is a cruel mistress.
  27. cartman1980

cartman1980

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    was referring to the cute girl @ coffee shop ;)
    now that i am married, such things go in the bucket of 'wishful thinking' ;)
  28. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I know.

I was just saying that the MCAT is a cruel mistress. I.e. she doesn't like it when I give anyone else any attention.

*tear*
  29. Etorphine

Etorphine SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Content review is DONE. Hurray. Now comes the hard part, which is brute force timed passages. How do you guys not lose steam in the last few week§?
  30. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    That would imply I had steam to begin with...

Jokes aside, eye on the prize. No time for steam, I'm a diesel engine. Can't touch this.
    Theres a dubstep song called wake up. Listen to it.

Now is the time for theme music. How epic do you want to be?
    Eye on the prize!
  31. YouNeverKnow22

YouNeverKnow22

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Man this TBR light and optics is rough! Took me two days to absorb info,doin passages tomorrow
  32. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Finished EK chem ch 6 today. Def taking a half day on thursday. Going to finish ch 7 then and do some physucks.

Friday I'll take notes on physics and do the Ek chem passages.

Saturday TBR Practice test 1. So excited!
  33. sacha

sacha

Did anyone understand the elastic/inelastic collision graph in the EK Physics book? It drove me a little crazy last night. And to think it was suppose to help with my intuition about collisions. oh well, i'm hoping to get physics done this weekend (minus that damn graph). I got friday off so its a long weekend... of physics.
  34. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This week is not going according to plan. Food poisoning last night...
    Not taking a half day on thursday. I'm shadowing a doc at one of our clinics on friday morning. Looking forward to it. Just wish I could fit in some time to do work too. I'll figure it out.

I'm going to be a hermit to the bone next week. 2 more weeks left in march. I don't think I'm going to hit my goal of finishing all my content review by april. Maybe I should shoot for the 2nd week of april or such.

I'll take a couple of days off from work next week instead now. If I took a 4 day weekend and studied my ass off, I could easily fit in 2-3 weeks worth of work in those four days. Gotta get this done by aprillll...

Page is poorly thought out. Don't worry about it.
  35. Etorphine

Etorphine SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Word. Same here. If anyone calls I'm not picking up. Went out drinking all this week and now my mind feels like goop, it's not even St. Patty's. When are you taking your test?
  36. sacha

sacha

thanks! Just ignored that graph. take that long weekend, you got this rtc!

I'm not gonna look at any other threads (except for this one) on SDN cause it only gets me anxious & unproductive. (yes, i just wasted alot of time doing that)
  37. SmurfinUSA

SmurfinUSA

SDN 2+ Year Member
    been stocking this post a while :D how'd your tbr 1 go?
  38. ModusProbandi

ModusProbandi

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Sleeping at 2:30am, started falling asleep in the library, figured it was time to go. Made up for those passages that I didn't do on 3/12. Lost 3hrs and 140 dollars after locking my keys in my trunk. First time and last time evar!
  39. enTropeeeeeeeee

enTropeeeeeeeee

Pre-Medical
    Quick question..for AAMC FL #3R, 4R, 5R. What does the R mean? A friend of mine told me that they have 77 questions...which reflects the old version. Do they have updated FLs that reflect the current format?
  40. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I feel like a mawfocking boss!

I went to the coffee shop, sat down and got into lets get this done mode. It might have had something to do with the fact that my vietnamese coffee had 2 extra shots of espresso in it, but that's acceptable.

I read 2 chapters of EK bio and absorbed most of the info (it was physio/anatomy stuff) since I've done this stuff 2-3 times before in high school and in college. Took notes in the margins, underlined stuff, memorized some stuff, and felt very good about it. 2 chapters left to read in bio. I *might* not take copious notes on this stuff because I've seen it before. I can read it over once more and get a good chunk out and come back when I need to.

I'm going to goof off for a bit, then watch the 2nd part of the wikipremed video on electrochem. Then read and take notes on EK Ch7 for chem. Then I'm done genchem content review!

4-5 hrs of sleep and off to work early tomorrow. I'm so pumped. This week totally turned around for me study-wise.

Now if I can get 1 ek 101 test in, 1 chapter of physics in, and 1 TBR test in over the rest of the week, I'll be feeling right on track!!!

Edit: Did a halfassed attempt to do CH7 ek. I think I get the battery stuff pretty well. Going to do practice problems for it soon-ish to see how that goes. I might read 2 more chapters of bio tomorrow to finish it up as well. Then onto orgo and physics. Physics is going to take me a bit.
    I'll come back and re-read bio a few times. I don't think taking notes on that is as helpful as going through the chapter 2-3 times. They both take the same amount of time, but it's reviewing once vs reviewing 3 times. Lets see.
    Last edited: 03.17.11
  41. tttgo

tttgo

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  42. cartman1980

cartman1980

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    intense studying for 4-5 hrs in last few days, and i believe i finally have the grasp of SN1/2, E1/2 Ochem reactions.. bring it!

the pieces of this big MCAT puzzle seem to be fitting along.. target completion of 1st pass on content review of all subjects still on track for completion by mid April (perhaps even earlier) ;)

at this rate, they just might fire me from work (since i am studying more than i am working).. tsk tsk..
  43. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Read one more bio chapter tonight. Goal is to read the last one tonight as well.

Taking notes in the Margins for EK.

The last few chapters in EK are all things I've seen before and done a few times. I think I'll be fine reading them a few times over and reciting stuff in my head. The notecards I made for reproduction and endocrine will come in handy. Those are weak points for me.

So at the end of tonight, I will have finished reading all the EK chem AND all the EK bio.

Wowza. Maybe finishing a full run through by the end of the month wasn't such a lofty goal after all!
  44. YouNeverKnow22

YouNeverKnow22

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Went out last night and going out tonight...going to review chapters I did this week and take notes on them and do passages, then play some basketball
  45. ModusProbandi

ModusProbandi

SDN 2+ Year Member
    3/19

TPR Workbook
    Solutions & Kinetics

Discretes
    8/9

Passages
    47: 6/7
    48: 7/8
    49-50: [Saved]

CO2 + H2O -> ____ + ____

Really F-ed up.

TPR Workbook
    Equillibrium; Acids % Bases (1 & 2)

Discretes

14/16 *I seriously shouldn't be missing any of these. Missing mainly due to lack of Fin attention.

Passages
    51: 6/6
    52: 7/8 "Drive off HI(g) = increase HI(g) not decrease" F english
    53: 8/8
    54: 6/8 wtf errors
    55: 6/7 wtf errors x2
    56: 5/6 [Tricky question]
    57: 7/7
    58: 8/8
    59,60,61: [Saved]

53/58 = 91%

62: 6/6
    63: 7/7
    64: 5/5
    65: 6/6
    66: 5/7 [F-it]
    67: 6/7
    68: 5/7 [F'ed up, redid the problems and got them right, it's a pay attention deficit]
    69-70: [Saved]

40/45 = 88% Fsdfnksaf
    Last edited: 04.02.11
  46. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Did my first TBR CBT.

Got a 10 on PS and an 8 on BS. There was a TON of orgo on BS and I haven't reviewed any of it yet, so that was a big contributor. Also, there was a ton of hormone stuff on there and I haven't committed most of that to memory just yet.

I started doing the VR section, but stopped it because the questions looked nothing like those in the 2 aamc's that I took and the EK 101 passages.

Did anyone else find that?
  47. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Thinking about it, I think I was being a dolt.

The passages were similar in style, but even though the question stems, etc were a little off, the things they were asking 'main idea' etc, were pretty comparable to EK and aamc. I'll go back and do the VR section tomorrow to see how it compares.
  48. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Took the vr part today and cut out the time from the passages that I'd read before and put in the same answers.

Got 6/40 wrong. Making my score a 12 by TBR standards.
    So thats 10 PS/12VR/8BS. Hit 30 on my first tbr.

Not a bad way to start things off.

I'm pretty psyched for being 2 months out.
  49. sacha

sacha

not a bad way at all :) i'm planning to take aamc 4 next weekend since i'm taking my test earlier now. hope to be done with content review (minus o chem) by then. EK books are thin but I take a while to get through them for the PS section. no idea why.
  50. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    It's because the PS isn't well written. I'm going to finish the EK PS off this week, I think, and then start working on Nova. I think that'll help get me from a 10-12 or so, which is what I need to be able to get in practice so I can get about as high on the real deal.

Honestly, I'm a little upset with my TBR score. I got a 29 on aamc 4, 10vr/bs and 9 ps. The bs section of TBR had a lot of orgo/bio stuff that I haven't reviewed yet so that's why it was an 8 instead of a 10, so it's all good. I'm happy about the PS section increase though.

I'm a little confused as to how I should drill down after content review. I have 8 TBR exams left, 6 AAMC's left, all the ek 1001 left, and 10 GS exams left.

I know I'm not going to get through all of it, but I need to figure out how to review from it all... Hm.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal