About the ads

The MCAT Twitter Thread (AKA MCAT-oholics)

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by ridethecliche, Feb 18, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Currently in the middle of TBR 4.

The PS was difficult. I'm doing the VR as we speak (clock ticking) and it's weird as hell. They're making me do math...
  2. ChocoMoo

ChocoMoo

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I remember that VR section. I was pretty annoyed when I was taking it :laugh:
  3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Seriously. The verbal for TBR 3 was pretty good. This is just making me shake my head.

Hopefully the bio section will be good. Oh wait, it's TBR. It's going to kick my ass.

Hoping to break 20 on the sciences...
  4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Eating 3 spoons of nutella and stretching during a 10 minute break is an awesome prequel to doing the BS section of the test.

Now to hit it!
  5. ModusProbandi

ModusProbandi

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I've got 10 bucks down on you getting an 11 in BS. Also, nutella is awesome.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  6. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Don't know about that.

I just looked at stuff and it looks like I got a 7 PS/BS and a 12 in VR. How do I do worse on the easier exams?

Going over this tomorrow is going to be eye opening. I think I'll take TBR 5 tomorrow as well. I have no idea what's going on though.

The scores tell me that I have huge gaps in content knowledge, which makes sense for bio because I need to do another run of Orgo, but the rest makes no sense to me... I felt really good about the PS and most of the non orgo BS passages in this exam.

Super frustrated...

Edit: Might be wise to go through some of EK1001 if I find particular problem areas. My scores for TBR are coming down in the PS/BS since the first exam I've taken. The first 2 were good, the 3rd and 4th both came down. I've done a bunch of content review in that time period so this is a little upsetting. So it goes.

If I don't do well on 5. I'm going to have a lot of re-evaluating to do. Maybe part of the problem is that I'm not using TBR so there's a disconnect between what I'm studying and the info being presented, but I don't think that it should be that big of a difference. My high for TBR was 11 PS and 9 BS. I shouldn't be dropping down from that with more studying. WTF...

I guess I really need to hit the orgo content hard.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  7. ModusProbandi

ModusProbandi

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't have BR tests, but I don't think the practice exams by other publishers besides the AAMC are that representative. Also, as you said, material from BR's content/style is probably reflected in the exams. I've noticed this with TPR tests in that the tests reflect the book content style. Maybe others can clue you in. If the BR tests don't correlate with your AAMC's I wouldn't worry about it. And from what I've been reading about AAMC#11, background knowledge helps less. On a good note you did well on VR!!! Usually the hardest section to improve on! I haven't touched that section out of fear more than anything else.
  8. sacha

sacha

i've just got orgo left now for content review, gonna get that done the next few days with EK and alternate practice passages with practice tests from friday onwards. been working on PS for majority of my studying/passages. i feel like i've only just realised how much of material there is for BS as well. And i'm seriously gambling with VR, but lady luck was on my side on the last practice test. got exactly 4 weeks to my test!:eek:
  9. sacha

sacha

i agree with mp about taking the TBR scores with a pinch of salt. i've heard they are generally harder anyway. i don't think you have cause to worry until you find out how you do on the sciences in an aamc practice test. in any case, going through your mistakes in TBR is only gonna get you closer to your goal score... a 45? ha.
  10. ChocoMoo

ChocoMoo

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    TBR-5's PS section was insane. If you do poorly on it then definitely take it with a bag of salt.

Also, have you noticed the range of topics tested in a BS section is super narrow? On one FL it will be all biochemistry-related. On another it will be all cell/molecular bio. It's kind of ridiculous sometimes :laugh:
  11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Reviewing exams instead of taking another one. I figure that's a better use of my time for now.

I might triple up on TBR this upcoming week instead.

And yeah chocomoo, I noticed that the physics seem to have more spread than the bio does. It's all good though. I just need to hit orgo again. I see orgo passages and just think "eff it, I haven't really studied this enough yet!"

No bueno.
  12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Took notes on the old AAMC 3 test I took a while back.

Taking notes on aamc 4 tomorrow and maybe tbr 1 and 2 on tuesday. I'll take tbr 5 on weds and then review 3,4 on thurs, take 6 on friday and review 5 and 6 on saturday.

It's unfortunate that I'm still behind on orgo because I feel like I'd be getting a LOT more out of the exams had I still retained more orgo. And I just read through EK orgo 2 weeks ago. Sigh. I wish I still knew names and stuff as well as I did 2 years ago... I remember how to do all the electron pushing. The names of reagents and rxns just escape me.

I'm hoping to finish doing a more thorough run through of orgo by the 20th. I guess my gym schedule isn't going to go back to normal anytime soon. haha.
  13. cartman1980

cartman1980

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I've been travelling a lot for last 2 weeks, so am a little behind schedule myself. And, thats exactly what i said i.e. time to bid squash and soccer adieu for a few weeks to get back on track. Well, day 2 and i am already itching to get back on the court/field. So much so that got stuck on an equilibrium problem spending upwards of 15mins only to realize that all that i was thinking was how can i get more out of that squash backstroke ;)

lesson learnt :)

an hour or two of getting rid of the pent up frustration does wonders for the actual study time.. quality over quantity ;)
  14. Graffiti

Graffiti

Pre-Medical
    That's what masturbation is for. :laugh:
  15. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    My gym is on the way to/from work, but if I go there and don't ride my bike to work, it's about an hour or so of additional time lost. I can start riding my bike now that it's getting nice out so I might start doing that.

OR I could dish out 30 bucks and pay for a 1 month trial membership at a gym that's RIGHT next to my house. This way, I'm much more likely to atleast go on the weekends and try stuffing it in before work sometime.

I'll figure it out. I know that I'll concentrate better and get more out of my studies if I set aside a couple of hours a week to rage at the gym. Wish I wasn't still injured though :/
  16. blackandgold1

blackandgold1

Pre-Medical
    im signed up for may 26th and just took aamc 3. i seriously think im the dumbest person ever, im done with alllll my content review and i made the dumbest mistakes and got a 29. ugh. this is completely destroying all my self confidence :(
  17. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    And that's why we practice.

You have 1.5 months to stop making the stupid mistakes, drill down, and get everything together. You're at a 29 with SO MUCH TIME left.

Now get your head out your ass and into the game :)

This should help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7CaiWxKYBo
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  18. ModusProbandi

ModusProbandi

SDN 2+ Year Member
    don't worry no one goes into the actual mcat with any amount of confidence. it's less about content review and more about paying attention to the passage with a little bit of background knowledge. did you take a lot of practice passages?
  19. SmurfinUSA

SmurfinUSA

SDN 2+ Year Member
    dude the gym near my house is 19 bucks a month and I can bring a friend everytime. I think it was 19 dollars to start, including my first month. :thumbup: It's called "crunch" if you can find it in your area
  20. blackandgold1

blackandgold1

Pre-Medical

yeah i worked thu alot of br passages. i was getting 12's and 13's in bio so i completely stopped studying it to focus on physics and though thats improving my bio dropped to a 9 wtfffff. and yeah i DEF need to pay attn to the passage... since i wasnt paying attn the info was right there in the passage and i would choose the wrong answer. i think i need alot more test taking skill practice lol
  21. blackandgold1

blackandgold1

Pre-Medical
    i seriously wanted to sit in a corner and cry. but your video made me feel better, thanks :)
  22. cartman1980

cartman1980

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I plan to take practice test only after finishing TBR review (TPR content review 1st pass already done -- but feel i could use more time on Orgo review).

So, it'd be a disaster if after practicing BR passages, i score below 30 in AAMC#3. Then there is no hope for me ;)

You are much better off :) So, pat yourself on the back, and get back on the saddle.
  23. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So.

Apparently having coffee at work followed by a vietnamese coffee with 2 shots of espresso is not a good idea if you're planning on getting work done.

I'm doing my 2nd run through of bio. Basically, I have general ideas and I want to memorize and organize some of the mechanistic stuff so I have a reference to go back to. I wanted to finish EK ch 4 (nervous system) and read some other stuff.

Well, the coffee kicked in too early and my mind started racing. My notes were as long as the chapter almost, but I couldn't stop. I felt super burnt out at the end so I skimmed a different chapter and called it a night. It's the first time I've felt that way.

I think I'm probably going to the gym after work tomorrow. When I get home, I'll do an EK verbal exam and read the remaining EK bio chapters. Just reading. No notes. Goal is still to finish 2nd run through of bio by thursday, and start orgo again on friday. I'm taking thursday afternoon and friday off from work so this is doable. If I finish early on thursday, I'm going to go hang out with friends or play video games and read a book.

Also going to read kaplan Nervous system chapter at lunch.

NO MORE COFFEES WITH DOUBLESHOTS OMFG!?!?!

Glad to be of service.

If it's any consolation, I took aamc 3 about 2 months ago and got a 26. I took 4 about 3 weeks after that and got a 29. I'm taking TBR exams right now and I've been scoring in the mid-high 20's which is really hurting my confidence as well, but I don't really care because they're just practice. I'm finishing on time and learning from the post test review. So in my mind, none of the scores matter till I take aamc 5 on the 23rd. I'm going to take it on a saturday morning so there will be much rejoicing after no matter the score. That's the plan once I start aamc's. Take one test on weds, the other on saturday and go out with friends after the saturday one. It'll help me keep my head in the game.
  24. Etorphine

Etorphine SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Good luck sleeping tonight
  25. YouNeverKnow22

YouNeverKnow22

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I'm taking my first FL next thurs....for people who have used TBR how would compare the passages to a AAMC test? harder? I feel like some TBR passages are quite difficult (I'm hitting 4-5/7 right on avg on gen chem and physics).
  26. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    No such thing in the bean, unfortunately.

This gym, however, is literally right next to my apartment. It's also right in the square where I study.

30 bucks for a month is pricey, especially when I'm paying for this in addition to other gym fees, but the convenience is going to be worth it for this next month. Going to the gym will be great for managing stress and if it's right there, I'm going to be able to study more while still getting a solid workout in which means that I won't feel guilty about anything.

All for the cost of one nice dinner out. Sold!

Depends on what you've been studying from. I use EK to study and I got a 26 on aamc 3 and a 29 on aamc 4.

My scores for TBR have averaged around 28, but with a downward trend (go figure). If you're using TBR to study, I think that they'll be good-ish predictors. They're harder, but that's a good thing because you want to be able to get your head screwed in right. Getting freaked by difficulty on the AAMC's is not the way to do that.

My advice is to not pay attention to the scores (especially if you're doing poorly). Treat the exams as what they are which is practice. They're damn good practice exams, but all they are is practice. Good luck!

I'm taking TBR 5 on wednesday! I might take 6 and 7 this week too if I'm feeling sinister. I'll finish up 8 and 9 the week after, though I might triple up the week after that as well as I have access to aamc 6 as a pdf exam.

Word of advice: Don't pause the tests. It screws up the timing.
    Otherwise, the option is to get to work at 8 or slightly before so I can leave by 4:30. Then I get to the gym by 5-5:15 and home by 7ish, which isn't all that bad but is hard to make things work exactly. Much easier if I ride my bike, but then I have to change at work or get there sweaty (no shower at work). I'd love to start riding in. The extra 45 mins of cardio a day would be so good for my mental sanity.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  27. ModusProbandi

ModusProbandi

SDN 2+ Year Member
    It's 9:30pm, came out of a 3hr meeting on IEPs and 504's, got food and now im typing. Took a chemistry passage of the online TPR stuff. I got a record score: 3/7. My confidence is at an all time high of "i don't give a crap anyway" moving on to bio.

How important is it that you take notes? I don't have the patience lol.

I've also come to the realization that the practice passages are much much longer than the real thing which is good, I guess.
  28. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Are Etorphine predicted, I didn't sleep all that well last night so I'm probably going to study after work instead of gyming so I can go to bed on the earlier side and be well rested to take TBR 5 tomorrow after work.

Funzies!

I also got all my remaining AAMC exams 5-11 less 6. So now I have my work cut out for me. Now to decide whether it makes sense to take TBR 8 and 9 as well or if I should just call it quits after 7.
  29. deutscherbrew

deutscherbrew

Pre-Medical
    Just finished the first chapter of the BR physics and a third of the passages. Projectile Motion used to be a tough subject for me and surprisingly, it is making a lot of sense this time around. Did really well on the passages. I was expecting tonight to really get me down, but it didn't so :D
  30. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Met a friend/coworker at the coffee shop and finished the NS stuff.
    Was going to do more bio but she wanted to go get a beer. Having felt like crap yesterday, I went with.

Ended up having a good time and talking to her and being there the night of a bluegrass jam. It was rad!

Then I came home and finished EK CH1. Going to do 2 over lunch tomorrow, then bio run 2 is dunzo. I'm going to keep reviewing some of the more mechanistic stuff since that fades fast.

Feelin' radical.

Taking TBR 5 tomorrow evening.
    AND THURS NIGHT I'LL SEE ATUL GAWANDE SPEAK! OMGZZZZ!!!
  31. blackandgold1

blackandgold1

Pre-Medical
    so i tried a new strategy today called "dont read the passage" for ps. i tried it on about 10 br gen chem passages and did wayyyy better, like im surprised. has anyone else tried this?
  32. blackandgold1

blackandgold1

Pre-Medical

ps. i referenced the passage when needed, but didnt read it to begin with.
  33. ModusProbandi

ModusProbandi

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Took TPR#2 PS timed: 10

Freaked out.....

Took TPR#1 PS timed: 13 Phew....

Blew through 3 of these tests, just taking the physical sciences portion. Shameful!
  34. ModusProbandi

ModusProbandi

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I never read PS, it takes away from the time. Usually I have like 7-8 min left over to go over confusing questions if I do this, unfortunately not enough time to cover STUPID errors.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  35. sacha

sacha

i think i'm going to try that out when i do my practice test on friday. when i reviewed aamc 3, I realised quite a few of the PS questions didn't need the passage to be read at all.

oh, and great job on the PS scores!
  36. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Seriously. The highest I've had on TBR PS is a 10. I've been getting much less otherwise.

I'll do the one tonight without reading the passages. Lets see how it goes!
  37. cartman1980

cartman1980

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    In PS sections, i selectively read the passages. Usually a quick glance at the first paragraph is a good indicator of what this is about. Atleast, during practice passages, if i think i have reasonable background to the topic then i skip straight to the questions. Otherwise, i do try to read through the passage :)
  38. ModusProbandi

ModusProbandi

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Whatever floats your boat. I don't read it in the sense of "read the passage then look at the questions." I do read it in the sense of "look at question one then look for the specific answer in the table, figure, or scan for it in the passage if it's referencing a trend, etc." I keep reading at a minimum.
  39. cartman1980

cartman1980

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    yes ofcourse... i meant to add YMMV :)
  40. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Did more scanning of physics passages vs reading for understanding this time around. Ended up with more time and I'm going to keep trying this.

Still disappointed with my TBR scores. I thought the bio was easy and I finished with 15+ mins left but apparently I did something wrong.

Final breakdown is 8PS/11VR/8BS

I would have scored one higher in the PS and BS sections with 2 more questions right and I'm sure that there's something in there that I knew and got wrong anyway. I really need to start hitting 10's in the Sciences. This is embarrassing...

I was pretty distracted during the test. I was checking email while the timer was still running, etc. I got bored, so I bet I made a mistake somewhere when jumping around. I didn't run out of time which is good. Finished the VR passages with 5 mins to spare as well.

Going to do another exam on friday and saturday or friday and sunday. Or I might only take one and spend a day trying to get through most of the exams I've taken as I have about 4 of them that I need to do a complete post game evaluation on.

Next step is to start going over kaplan Orgo while keeping on reviewing some of the systems bio stuff that I keep forgetting pretty fast.

Other weak points are electro chemistry, E & M, and lenses. I think I'll do those again over the weekend as well. There are some easy points that I keep missing.

Still a little bummed :/
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  41. sacha

sacha

keep your head up! there's time to eliminate your weaknesses, go through your exams and figure out your mistakes. and don't freaking check your email during a practice test :) this beast needs 100% focus. eye on the prize.
    gonna do aamc 6 tomorrow. woohoo.
  42. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yeah, I def need to start the test earlier too. 8 30 pm is way too late. I'll shoot for 6:30 next time.

Trying to figure out the rest of the week. Taking off tomorrow.

Tonight, I'll go to the gym, come home, take a EK 101 test, and review 2 FL's.

Tomorrow, I'll wake up and review another FL, go study orgo for a few hours, then look over content from some of the weak spots I mentioned earlier. I think I might try doing some of the kaplan topicals I have over the weekend just to dial out the issues in the weak spots. Better now than the week before the test!
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  43. sacha

sacha

so i just did a few verbal passages from ek 101. I could not keep to 7 mins per passage for the few passages I did (what i did for aamc 3) & found them alot more challenging. feel a bit horrified now that aamc 3 might have given me false confidence about verbal. what do you guys think of ek verbal?
  44. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I like EK101. I've been getting the same scores on that as I did on the 2 aamc's I took.

I try to stick to 7-8 minutes a passage.
  45. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Looked at my paycheck for the week and it said that I have 57hrs of vacation time left.

That means I can take 4 days off before my exam, as I'm saving a day for the exam (friday) and the monday after plus banking 2 days for family/trips/incase i'm sick.

I'm going to take two 4 day weekends probably at the end of april and in early may. I'll do a crap ton of passages and drill down then in addition to the practice exams I've been doing.

I'm so excited that I realized this!
  46. cartman1980

cartman1980

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Took my first timed half-BS coursework TBR test from TBR Bio-I today. Some observations:
    - finished 2 mins ahead of time, but felt rushed throughout the test (as am not used to)
    - had a tendency to get stuck on some problems (this I need to weed out before taking actual test)
    - did better than expected. 39 out of 52, score=11
    - made 5 silly mistakes (incorrect read of the questions) which could have brought my score up to 12

This of course isn't any indicator of actual performance, as the passage length was no where near what MCAT seems to be recently put out for actual test.

All-all-in, a good learning experience.

Now, onto orgo (yuck) review...
  47. blackandgold1

blackandgold1

Pre-Medical
    i just took kaplan fl 5 and officially tried just skimming passages for PS instead of reading them. ughh i got so freaked out looking at the questions, didn't know what they were asking, had to refer to the passage, ended up reading the passages twice in the middle of doing questions, my stress levels went through the roof, and totally threw off my timing (ended with 1 min left; usually finish with 10+ mins).

soooo gonna take that as a learning experience to actually go back to my original strategy and fully read the passages.

btw: has anyone taken kaplan fl 5? thoughts/input? i managed an 11 in PS but i feel like thats SOOO INFLATED considering the panic attack i had.
  48. sacha

sacha

Sooo... i just took aamc 6 & got PS: 10, VR: 11, BS: 8.

PS: i think i can work on it and increase by 2 points at least
    VR: I do okay on AAMC tests but not so great on EK 101, weird. but I need to work on reading faster cause I finished with a few seconds to spare.
    BS: just did a complete review and realised most of my mistakes were in orgo. I missed around 5 questions in bio but only got 5 out of 20 orgo questions right! horrible I know. I just panic when faced with orgo.

So my test is in 3 weeks. I'm not sure if I should postpone and get BR orgo? I just borrowed orgo as a second language from a friend & going to have a read of that during the weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good book to fix orgo? I used EK but honestly, there were alot of things I couldn't understand so had to memorise my way through.
  49. ilovemcat

ilovemcat

Pre-Medical
    EK is only good if you're good to begin with, since it's a summary of what you should already know. Personally, I would recommend TBR Orgo if you had atleast 1 month to use it. But in your situation, a better alternative would be TPRH Organic (which summaries all the important topics in a more general way). That's if you're focusing on learning the material. TPRH shouldn't take as long as it'd take to review TBR Organic (which is why I suggest TPR over TBR). If you're looking for practice material instead, then TBR is the better option. I've used both, so I'm speaking from experience.
  50. Etorphine

Etorphine SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    BR orgo is very good.