The MCAT Twitter Thread (AKA MCAT-oholics)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ridethecliche

Meep Meep Meep
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so many of us are in the same boat, right?

We all have to take this exam, and lets be honest, it sucks. It's a roadblock and it's annoying. But we HAVE to do it, so we might as well enjoy it.

At the same time, I think having a 'support group' would be helpful. So why not post about MCAT trials/tribulations here?

Did you have an awesome study session? Grasp concept that you were having trouble with? Beast that practice test?

If so, post!

Did you have a crappy study session? Are you failing miserably at figuring out something seemingly simple? Just get frustrated at that practice exam you just took?

If so, post!

MCAT-oholics unite!

Members don't see this ad.

EK is only good if you're good to begin with, since it's a summary of what you should already know. Personally, I would recommend TBR Orgo if you had atleast 1 month to use it. But in your situation, a better alternative would be TPRH Organic (which summaries all the important topics in a more general way). That's if you're focusing on learning the material. TPRH shouldn't take as long as it'd take to review TBR Organic (which is why I suggest TPR over TBR). If you're looking for practice material instead, then TBR is the better option. I've used both, so I'm speaking from experience.

BR orgo is very good.

thanks alot for the feedback guys!:) I don't think I'll be able to go through BR ochem in time unless I postpone my test - which is going to be a hassle cause of work commitments. And TPRH organic may be hard to track down in time too. I still have till the end of the week to decide if i want to postpone. I'm gonna use the next few days to read orgo as a second language, re-read ek and review ochem from the practice tests. if I don't see sufficient orgo improvement by end of the week, will postpone and get BR and suffer the wrath of my boss. goodluck to everyone chugging along...

Goal is to finish Kaplan orgo today or have maybe 1 chapter left for tomorrow. Going to go get to that in the next 10 mins.

Tomorrow morning, I'll wake up early, gym, then read some of my bio notes. Take TBR 6 in the early afternoon. Then spend the rest of the day reviewing two TBR exams I haven't yet.

I feel burnout coming on, so the rest of tonight is going to be spent out for dinner and at a party. Managing it from here on out will be critical. I'm not going to take any days straight off, but I'm going to be doing other things too.

I'm done the content review. Sure some things I'm not super strong on, but I'll come back to those over the next month. Going to do more passages to target my lapses in knowledge as well. In addition, I have a notebook with bio notes that I'm going to go through over lunch so stuff stays fresh in my head.

I've been slacking on the Ek 101 passages lately, so I'll do a couple of those next week. I actually enjoy those and I'd really like to see the score eek up a little.

Lets go!!!

//Took TPR #2 BS: 8

Good news is that nearly everything I missed was stuff I haven't reviewed. Bad news is that this is is a lot to review, Excretory --> all of ochem.

//Average Passage Workbook score is falling. I need to be more careful about what the question says.

In Class Compendium (2/3rd Done)

Chemistry
P7: 3/5 - Read the freakin question. I obviously can't think right now. Also, review common ion charges.
P8: 5/5 - Review Rates, just as a refresher
P9: 5/6 - Review Rates again.
P10: 3/6 :( wtf. I still don't get #1, I can rationalize #2, and #3 was my bad
P11:
P12:

Physics
P7: 5/5
P8: 6/6
P9: 7/7
P10: 5/6 - Review Dialectrics.
P11:
P12:

Online Review

G-chem
Drill 06:
Drill 07:
Drill 08:
Drill 09:
Drill 10:
Drill 11:
Drill 12:

Physics

Drill 05: 5/7 - Scan the whole passage, not just till you think you see the answer. Also, Radians, wtf?
Drill 06: 6/7 sin(60) = .85 duh
Drill 07: 6/7 [Methane is a gas, not a liquid duh! lol]
Drill 08:
Drill 09:
Drill 10:
Drill 11:
Drill 12:

Online Stuff

Nervous System & Endocrine System

Question Set: (9/10) 90%
-NOTE: Thyroid hormone binds internally, even though it is derived from AA.

Circulatory and Immunology

Question Set: (7/8) 88%

Renal and Digestive

Question Set: (7/8) 88%

Neurobiology 1:
Endocrine 1:
Cardiac 1:
Immunology 1:
Renal System:
Digestive 1:

TPR Workbook

The Endocrine, Circulatory, Lympatic, and Immune Systems
//Done Reading. Now time for the passages.

Questions: (18/24) 75% - I know where I need to focus on.......

NOTE:

-Humor (blood) --> hormones are usually released based on humor monitoring.
-Cortisol --> Stress resistor? wtf, I thought it caused stress.
-Dumb error: pH
-Macrophages common in both innate and humoral/cell-mediated immunity.
-Dumb error: testing for antigen vs. testing for antibody

The Endocrine

P47: 4/5 --> Need to review hormones.
P48: 4/6 Ur effin ******ed. READ THE ANSWERS AND FOCUS
P49: 7/7 - better
P50: 7/7 :)
P51: 7/8 - Cell Mediated Immunity: think T-cell.
P52: 6/8 - didn't know bout hepatic portal vein being location of insulin secretion/what glycouria meant
P53 [AP]: 8/10

43/51 = 84%

Slightly unnerving.

Circulatory and Immune Systems

P54: 4/5 - kfdj, fmejre mfjre. ejrwje!
P55: 5/5
P56: 7/8 - "Flows to" vs. "Flows from" dudddeeeee
P57: 5/8 :(
P58: 7/8 - Epidermis does not have blood vessels or lymph capillaries.
P59: 5/6 - FIAL!
P60: 10/11
P61-64: [Saved]

43/51 = 84.3%

The Excretory and Digestive Systems
//Done Reading

Questions: 9/12 69% Epic. - Apparently, I didn't read shyt.

P65:
P66:
P67:
P68-P69: [Saved]

Muscular, Skeletal and Respiratory Systems

Questions:

P70:
P71:
P72:
P73:
P74:
P75:
P76:
P77-80: [Saved]

The Reproductive Systems and Development

Questions:

P81:
P82:
P83:
P84:
P85:
P86-P87: [Saved]

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just banking on pure luck for the April 29th date. Have you guys been keeping up with the April 16th and 9th threads? The new style seems ridiculous from what everyone's been saying.

The way I see it, if the last 3-4 administrations have been brutal, they're bound to have one "easy" administration coming up sooner or later. I just have my fingers crossed its next week.

Honestly, I don't think you need it, judging from your practice scores. You are doing awesome :D

Having said that, since I am also on the boat for 4-29, I agree and hope with you :thumbup:

Finished Kaplan orgo this morning.

Going to take a break and then take TBR 5. Huzzah.

I'm just banking on pure luck for the April 29th date. Have you guys been keeping up with the April 16th and 9th threads? The new style seems ridiculous from what everyone's been saying.

The way I see it, if the last 3-4 administrations have been brutal, they're bound to have one "easy" administration coming up sooner or later. I just have my fingers crossed its next week.

I'm pretty sure that everyone has been saying that they're similar to the last couple of AAMC's. The people who weren't scoring in the range that they wanted to going into the exam were the ones freaking out.

Honestly, if you don't feel unsure coming out of that exam, then there's something wrong with you...

Last edited:
Took TBR #6 today and it makes me super happy.

It was a 'medium' exam according to TBR with a medium PS/VR and medium BS.

Got 18 wrong in PS, 10 in VR, 12 in BS.
That translates to... ding ding ding

9PS/11VR/11BS
31!!!!

Huzzah for breaking 30! I hit 30 on TBR 1, and then was all over the place from 26-29. Now I'm going into next week feeling like a boss.

WOOT!
  • TBR Practice Test VI . . . . Mid-range Exam (semi-easy PS, medium VR, medium BS)
Though apparently my PS needs work if I got a 9 on a 'semi easy PS'. Huh. lol.

Last edited:

It was a 'medium' exam according to TBR with a medium PS/VR and hard BS.

9PS/11VR/11BS
31!!!!

Huzzah for breaking 30! I hit 30 on TBR 1, and then was all over the place from 26-29. Now I'm going into next week feeling like a boss.

WOOT!
  • TBR Practice Test VI . . . . Mid-range Exam (semi-easy PS, medium VR, medium BS)

Congrats! :clap::clap: I've got a while till I'm there, especially considering Bio/Ochem, but hopefully I'll be in the same 30+ boat in another week.

It was a 'medium' exam according to TBR with a medium PS/VR and hard BS.

9PS/11VR/11BS
31!!!!

WOOT!

you got a 11 on a 'hard BS'. Awesome! I'm happy for you & envious of you at the same time:)

Thanks y'all. We'll see what this all means in a week and a half when I sit down to take AAMC 5.

On the agenda for today:

Look over some problem topics, i.e. E&M, electrochem, optics, and some acid base stuff.

Either going to read through everything today, or I'll read through some of it and do a few practice passages.

Probably the latter since it'll help drill it down this time around.

Motivation is back, but I'm going to spend much less time studying from now on out since I'm 'done' content review. Some brushing up here and there, bunch of practice passages, but I'm going to double my fun time so I stay sane in the last month. Given that I went out once every 2 weeks till now, this isn't going to change all that much. haha.

Congrats! :clap::clap: I've got a while till I'm there, especially considering Bio/Ochem, but hopefully I'll be in the same 30+ boat in another week.

Honestly, for bio it came down to not freezing when I saw organic. Now that I've actually studied it and it's more fresh in my head, I can actually attempt to answer questions instead of guessing. The 'freaking out' bit really hurt matters for everything else too.

Tons of TPRH passages in my future.

you got a 11 on a 'hard BS'. Awesome! I'm happy for you & envious of you at the same time:)

It was 'med' but I'll take it. I miswrote earlier.

Apparently the current MCAT is only comparable really to 11 from what I've been hearing. I haven't taken it yet, so I might move up when I plan to take 11 to see how it is. Maybe in the next 3 weeks instead of in a month.

All this talk is making me antsy. I had a feeling that they were going to start to make these changes, just not for us.

Members don't see this ad :)
Started the pr Science workbook today. Did two passages in my break. First one, thought too deep and misinterpreted the question as the answer dealt with tonicity which is relative. Missed two. Passage 2-- missed none. Now the whole mcat passage thing is making sense. Confidence booster sorta, but I'm spending WAY too much time on them. I took the hour to do them both, had a snack, distractions, texted so I'd like tO think I didn't take 30 minutes per passage.

Just finished TBR Physics chapter 2. Doing pretty well on physics passages so far, which is good since PS was tough for me in the past. So far, feeling pretty confident. Definitely going to need as much of that as possible to keep me going for the next 3 months.

Frustrating day of sorts.

Plan was to finish every 3rd EK 1001 problem for electrochem. Ended up getting done only half of it.

It took 2 hours, but I think I can finally balance redox reactions. So I guess it was worth it. So freaking frustrating though.

I think I'm going to review TBR 2 and go to bed.

Second week in a row I couldn't get through the BR O-chem material. Looks like I'm about a chapter and a half behind with o-chem + passages for both chapters. I loved O-chem in undergrad....don't know why I'm moving through the material so slowly.:confused: All other subjects are fine.

Hopefully i won't fall behind in anything else this week and I can use sunday to get caught up on everything.:xf:

Edit: Except for sunday being Easter...ugh. Here's to hoping I won't have too many family obligations

Just finished reviewing TBR 5 PS.

I am so bad at electrochemistry. Got so much work to do on this. Really need to hit TPRH passages hard. I might not bother with the EK 1001 stuff anymore because I don't like the wording and it's so abstract. I'd rather miss a discrete than a passage, but working on passages is like killing 2 birds with one stone that way.

Lets see.

Time to start getting serious. Lots to do and I have officially 1 month left.

Just took AAMC 10 Verbal timed. Unfortunately, I didn't take the test as a whole. I took each section individually so it is not exactly representative. I actually finished, I more or less didn't read the whole thing, just searched for answers. Guessed on the last 2, raw score of 31. They have a pretty cool search thing on the top, definitely useful.

VR: 10
BS: 9
PS: 13

Total? ? = 32.

Not exactly accurate though. Need to take a whole one this weekend at the latest.

Last edited:
Send me yr PS skillz plz.

Seriously, I've been struggling on a few things. Excited to start drilling down on it.

Taking a practice exam today after work, then going to finish reviewing TBR 5 BS and then look at some Electro chem stuff.

I'm going to wear myself out today because I have fun planned for tomorrow evening, though I might break it up and study some later tomorrow night.

Starting to get amped about this practice exam.

I have 1 month left. It seems like a lot, but I know it can fly by.

This is when legends are made.

(or something...)

Just took AAMC 10 Verbal timed. Unfortunately, I didn't take the test as a whole. I took each section individually so it is not exactly representative. I actually finished, I more or less didn't read the whole thing, just searched for answers. Guessed on the last 2, raw score of 31. They have a pretty cool search thing on the top, definitely useful.

VR: 10
BS: 9
PS: 13

Total? ? = 32.

Not exactly accurate though. Need to take a whole one this weekend at the latest.

If you can keep your eyes peeled on the real deal and have enough time to let one section end and wear off before you hit the next one, you'll be golden. Good job!

Hoping to join you in that range of aamc scores next week!

Last edited:
Is it just me, or does anyone else have an incredibly difficult time trying to focus while doing passages? For someone reason, I get easily distracted when thinking about a question. I seriously think I have a minor case of ADHD.

Is it just me, or does anyone else have an incredibly difficult time trying to focus while doing passages? For someone reason, I get easily distracted when thinking about a question. I seriously think I have a minor case of ADHD.

I have to convince myself that this practice matters as much as the test when I sit down.

I'm so glad we won't have internet etc at the test center. I go check my email and email friends about dinner plans during TBR exams. Still finish 10 minutes early...

I have to convince myself that this practice matters as much as the test when I sit down.

I'm so glad we won't have internet etc at the test center. I go check my email and email friends about dinner plans during TBR exams. Still finish 10 minutes early...

I wish I was that motivated. These last few days, I've been lazy. Grrrrrrr :sleep:

You have no idea LOL! There are so many things I'd rather be doing that studying for this test. I posted those TPRH passages I was supposed to go through and now several days later, I haven't even gone through one. I had a lot of enthusiasm in the beginning but now it's like damn, not this again. But I will have to go through them eventually. Thankfully I don't suck balls at verbal, so that technically gives me a month to focus on review/ochem. 1 month and counting....

Last edited:
Taking tbr 7.

A little distracted here and there as my housemate is watching TV and laughing hysterically...

But. I finished PS with 10 mins to spare and just finished VR with 20 mins to spare. Lets see how bio goes and how this test ends up.

Weird.

Finished bio with 15 mins to spare.

The last test I did (6) was supposed to be medium difficulty. This one (7) was supposed to be hard.

I got.

PS: 33 right
VR: 27 Right
BS: 36 right

Scores are
10/10/10

Missed 11's by
1 problem on PS and 2 on VR/BS.

That test should have been another 31. I bet I made a STUPID mistake on PS and this VR was lower than my average. It would have been icing on the cake to see a 32. I can't believe I was 3 questions away from it...

In any event, this is still a good development. Two more of these exams and I'm onto AAMCs. Taking TBR 8 and 9 this week.

There are so many things I'd rather be doing that studying for this test. I

I am having serious fun-withdrawal symptoms ;) been studying for 4 months now, and totally burnt out.. 15mins into picking up TBR Orgo and all my motivation goes down the dump, and i get sleepy.. go figure ;)

I am having serious fun-withdrawal symptoms ;) been studying for 4 months now, and totally burnt out.. 15mins into picking up TBR Orgo and all my motivation goes down the dump, and i get sleepy.. go figure ;)

I'm 2 months into studying & I JUST got TBR orgo. I had a gameplan all set up - 1 day for 1 chapter & be done in a week. Reality - Day 1 : 1/3 through first chapter & i think it ate a bit of my soul.

I'm 2 months into studying & I JUST got TBR orgo. I had a gameplan all set up - 1 day for 1 chapter & be done in a week. Reality - Day 1 : 1/3 through first chapter & i think it ate a bit of my soul.

I warned you, lol...

I warned you, lol...

ha, i know... couldn't get my hands on the PR hyperlearning book so this was the best option. And i'm REALLY bad at orgo so I need all the help I can get. I decided to postpone my may 7th testdate after taking another practice test (got a 12/11/8) The thing is I worked damn hard to get my PS up so I feel shortchanged to go in there with such a huge weakness. I am just hoping TBR is going to turn it all around for me.

But I am taking a break this easter weekend & giving my soul some love :)

Dude. Then go have some fun! I know you're married and all but you can still have fun!

ha, i know... couldn't get my hands on the PR hyperlearning book so this was the best option. And i'm REALLY bad at orgo so I need all the help I can get. I decided to postpone my may 7th testdate after taking another practice test (got a 12/11/8) The thing is I worked damn hard to get my PS up so I feel shortchanged to go in there with such a huge weakness. I am just hoping TBR is going to turn it all around for me.

But I am taking a break this easter weekend & giving my soul some love :)

I liked kaplan's book. I got through it in 3 days. Will keep brushing up on reaction stuff. It all leaves my head so fast...

Dude. Then go have some fun! I know you're married and all but you can still have fun!

Its not that.. am at a point where it feels like to hell w/ all this... no end in sight.. oh well.. hopefully, this wave too shall pass...

It all leaves my head so fast...
and thats problem#2.. if only someone would pay me a dime every time i forget something i read 2 days ago, i'd be a millionaire by now..

Its not that.. am at a point where it feels like to hell w/ all this... no end in sight.. oh well.. hopefully, this wave too shall pass...
and thats problem#2.. if only someone would pay me a dime every time i forget something i read 2 days ago, i'd be a millionaire by now..

That's why I took notes on stuff I forget 'easily'. When I have a minute at work or at lunch, I'll review them. Stuff sticks.

I have two more TBR exams left. If I score 30+ on those as well, I'll know that my methods are working. I'm exactly where I want to be 1 month before the exam.

You can do it!

So I had a freakout post about my VR dropping two points. (using ek 101)

Turns out that I had bubbled two answers in backwards. I.e. circled correct answer in the book but lost my order in the bubbles. So I actually scored a little below my average, but 1 pt variation is to be expected here and there. Also, I narrowed down to 2 answers and picked wrong twice. Those two being right would have equaled a 10. Meaning this ability to nitpick between two answers is what I lost. I'll get it back soon.

I felt lost reading the questions and passages though. Never felt that way with TBR. I think that I've done 7 TBR FL's and that's enough to get a feel for their verbal.

I'm going to do their remaining two exams over the weekend and skip the verbal for now. I think I'm better served by using EK 101's tests and not making my head switch back and forth between the two styles. TBR shines at the sciences and I'm aiming to hit 20+ on those two sections over the weekend as well. I'll use my TBR verbal average to 'estimate' my FL score.

Then, next week I'm not taking any FL's till the weekend when I'll take AAMC 5. So I'll use the early part of the week to catch up on reviewing the FL's. I'll review those through the week, brush up on relevant info and take AAMC5 on sunday. I'm off on thurs and fri so I should have a good amount of time to strap myself down, do some review, and start TPRH science passages. As much as I'd like to, I think I'm going to skip doing any of their VR stuff as I think I have my hands full with 9 remaining EK exams and 6 AAMC's. I hope I can improve my VR by a point or two in this time. Seriously, I would be overjoyed!

Last edited:
So I had a freakout post about my VR dropping two points. (using ek 101)

Turns out that I had bubbled two answers in backwards. I.e. circled correct answer in the book but lost my order in the bubbles. So I actually scored a little below my average, but 1 pt variation is to be expected here and there. Also, I narrowed down to 2 answers and picked wrong twice. Those two being right would have equaled a 10. Meaning this ability to nitpick between two answers is what I lost. I'll get it back soon.

I felt lost reading the questions and passages though. Never felt that way with TBR. I think that I've done 7 TBR FL's and that's enough to get a feel for their verbal.

I'm going to do their remaining two exams over the weekend and skip the verbal for now. I think I'm better served by using EK 101's tests and not making my head switch back and forth between the two styles. TBR shines at the sciences and I'm aiming to hit 20+ on those two sections over the weekend as well. I'll use my TBR verbal average to 'estimate' my FL score.

Then, next week I'm not taking any FL's till the weekend when I'll take AAMC 5. So I'll use the early part of the week to catch up on reviewing the FL's. I'll review those through the week, brush up on relevant info and take AAMC5 on sunday. I'm off on thurs and fri so I should have a good amount of time to strap myself down, do some review, and start TPRH science passages. As much as I'd like to, I think I'm going to skip doing any of their VR stuff as I think I have my hands full with 9 remaining EK exams and 6 AAMC's. I hope I can improve my VR by a point or two in this time. Seriously, I would be overjoyed!

When I came across the EK Verbal over a year ago when I thought I would take the MCAT, I took the first test and got a 6. Either my reading comprehension has gone up or EK's not what it seems to be (harder than the real thing). Then again, I've only taken one AAMC verbal and one EK verbal.

Last edited:
TBR Bio chapter 2 passages kicked my butt today. It just seemed like every other question was asking me something that I needed to have prior knowledge on that TBR hasn't taught me yet. At least I didn't get things wrong that I had just read about. I guess TBR just wants me to learn from all of my wrong answers.

I don't think I'm burning out, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself to do work at home, which has always been the case.

Today is completely off. Nothing related to MCAT studying all day. I have a gameplan for tomorrow and sunday and stuff to do the rest of the week, which WILL happen especially because I'm taking 2 days off next week.

I'm looking forward to just hanging out with friends and cooking dinner tonight. Much needed.

I would tell you what I do to concentrate, but it's not kosher.

Also, coffee helps. So does doing everything that might distract you before you sit down.

Woops ..didn't see this reply, lol. The problem is I drink way too much Coffee in 1 day (something like 5 cups lol). Maybe that's what's contributing so much to my problem. I probably should lay off the Coffee. It's hard to focus though after full day of work without some sort of energy keeping me going. Thankfully I have this weekend off. I might catch a movie later today. Any suggestions guyzzz? :D

so im officially moving into taking 2-3 practice tests per week. is anyone else taking kaplan fls? I just took 6 and thought the bio was sooooooooo hard.

ps. for anyone struggling in verbal: i was always stuck at 8-9s on verbal, so i decided to subscribe to the economist. its been a week of reading the magazine plus the tpr wkbk (2-3psgs/day) but my verbal has gone up to 11's and on the last fl i was two questions away from a 12. soo for anyone who might need help start reading the economist :)

Woops ..didn't see this reply, lol. The problem is I drink way too much Coffee in 1 day (something like 5 cups lol). Maybe that's what's contributing so much to my problem. I probably should lay off the Coffee. It's hard to focus though after full day of work without some sort of energy keeping me going. Thankfully I have this weekend off. I might catch a movie later today. Any suggestions guyzzz? :D

Actually coffee is supposed to increase concentration/focus. With 5 cups I don't know though.

so im officially moving into taking 2-3 practice tests per week. is anyone else taking kaplan fls? I just took 6 and thought the bio was sooooooooo hard.

ps. for anyone struggling in verbal: i was always stuck at 8-9s on verbal, so i decided to subscribe to the economist. its been a week of reading the magazine plus the tpr wkbk (2-3psgs/day) but my verbal has gone up to 11's and on the last fl i was two questions away from a 12. soo for anyone who might need help start reading the economist :)

Which FL's are you using? Or is this for your kaplan ones?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/23/health/23doctor.html?pagewanted=3

I'm sure some would be interested in this. Somewhat depressing.

Thanks for the link, but I disagree with him over the NP issue for family practice.

I think well trained NP's are great for a practice. The cost is much lower, which is great because then you can have a larger practice with 1-2 physicians and 2-3x the number of NP's present.

We have a TON of them at my office. They take incredible care of our patients and the physicians are fully confident in their abilities.

Just came back from watching Scream 4. Thought it was a really gooood movie. Highly recommended! :) Anyways, I'm exhausted. Off 2 bed now.