The Most Helpful Non-mandatory Science Courses For The Dat!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mterp45

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys am going into my junior and I have taken all the mandatory pre-reqs for dental school and now am working on the recommended courses next year but I am looking to take classes that are the most helpful for the dat I have to choose two courses and my choices are:

BIOCHEMISTRY, MICROBIOLOGY and CELL BIOLOGY, anatomy, physiology.

I am attempting to get your opinions, Is there any other class am forgetting that is worth mentioning? which one is most helpful? and which one is the least helpful? any insight will be much appreciated thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Cell Biology, anatomy and maybe some physiology.

If I were you, I'd choose Biochemistry and physiology

Members don't see this ad :)
wow none for MICRO I see, but if you are reading this thread please keep going with the opinions I need as many as possible

Hey guys am going into my junior and I have taken all the mandatory pre-reqs for dental school and now am working on the recommended courses next year but I am looking to take classes that are the most helpful for the dat I have to choose two courses and my choices are:

BIOCHEMISTRY, MICROBIOLOGY and CELL BIOLOGY, anatomy, physiology.

I am attempting to get your opinions, Is there any other class am forgetting that is worth mentioning? which one is most helpful? and which one is the least helpful? any insight will be much appreciated thanks in advance.

All these courses were recommended by the Assistant Dean of Admissions at UOP, so take all of them. Hopefully your Anatomy lab will have some Histology as well. I took all of those courses and I think it helped.

All these courses were recommended by the Assistant Dean of Admissions at UOP, so take all of them. Hopefully your Anatomy lab will have some Histology as well. I took all of those courses and I think it helped.

yeah I would love to take all of them but I can't due to time constraints hence, due to the circunstances which two would you recommend

biochemistry

please keep going

For the DAT, physiology. For dental school they are all highly recommended.

wow it looks like physiology is winning

agreed on physiology!

1) Take as many of these as possible before dental school.
2) However, highest yield for the DAT will be: Biochemistry, Cell Biology, and Physiology

By the way.. adding a poll may get more responses

I'm a physio mentor...when I took the DAT the first time, I did alright in all sections except bio (which was a 21). So I would recommend physiology for sure, but biochemistry will help out a lot.

Take Biochemistry . . . it's a required science pre-requisite at several schools. You'll have an edge and have more options on where to apply.

Hey, I love you guys for helping me out. I have made a decision based upon your recommendations I will take biochemestry, cell biology, and physiology. I will take biochemetry this summer instead of waiting for the school year. However Do you guys think it would be too difficult to take CELL BIOLOGY AND PHYSIOLOGY at the same time ? who has done it? how was it? what do you think about attempting such thing? please let me know.