The Most Ridiculously Expensive Dental Schools Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do ortho residencies not pay stipends? Is that only omfs? 750k is insane
More often than not, ortho programs will charge tuition and not pay stipends.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol paying 750k to make 200k a year.

Oh he's been practicing 4 years and still has 750k?

He probably owed almost 900k or something.

Why do people do this to themselves?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, being the wicked awesome genius that I am, I have come up with a solution to help you, my people. If this works, you may indeed call me your king.

So, here it is. I get it that you aren't going to have a majority of predents not apply to every crazy expensive school out there. Too many predents, too many schools. However, if a coordinated effort were made to blackball a particular school and it made filling their class a challenge, this may serve as a wake up call to the rest of them.

Make it so.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Ok, being the wicked awesome genius that I am, I have come up with a solution to help you, my people. If this works, you may indeed call me your king.

So, here it is. I get it that you aren't going to have a majority of predents not apply to every crazy expensive school out there. To many predents, too many schools. However, if a coordinated effort were made to blackball a particular school and it made filling their class a challenge, this may serve as a wake up call to the rest of them.

Make it so.

Big Hoss
In all honesty, yes. There needs to be a push-back against this. It's unethical to charge a person $400k - $500k for an education. Seriously, maybe if graduates made $400,000 to $500,000 upon graduation then maybe. But that's simply not the case. We have power against these schools, we are the customers giving business to them. Students need to fight back. I'm pretty sure the education bubble is going to burst, and that is going to kill our economy. Schools requiring 500k out of their students isn't helping.

We need someone with a cavalier attitude to spearhead a movement against this unethical practice that's going on right now.

Like seriously, they could easily cut down on school costs. They tell us to be frugal when we graduate so we can pay back loans, but why in the hell aren't these schools frugal with our money they freely spend in dental school? Seriously, you could get just as good of an education with the bare-bones materials. Just put us in a classroom the first two years, cut the bells and whistles, I don't care if I'm sitting in a fifty year old chair with a black board and chalk at the front of the room. When we get to the clinic, I don't care if I'm using old equipment, in an old facililty.. As long as it works, whatever. If we need to see more than two patients per day to generate more revenue for the clinic, so be it. Let's crank through more patients and generate more revenue. Put the revenue into paying for things we need, not bells and whistles. Don't keep buying new stuff to justify making a student a slave to debt for ten years after graduation. Come on, there's something seriously going wrong here.

So, here it is. I get it that you aren't going to have a majority of predents not apply to every crazy expensive school out there. To many predents, too many schools. However, if a coordinated effort were made to blackball a particular school and it made filling their class a challenge, this may serve as a wake up call to the rest of them.

Make it so.

Big Hoss

Many of these schools have 3,000 - 5,000 applicants.

Good luck!

If we need to see more than two patients per day to generate more revenue for the clinic, so be it. Let's crank through more patients and generate more revenue. Put the revenue into paying for things we need, not bells and whistles. Don't keep buying new stuff to justify making a student a slave to debt for ten years after graduation. Come on, there's something seriously going wrong here.

MWU-AZ has the most productive dental clinic in the nation from what I understand. It is still expensive.

Last edited:
Many of these schools have 3,000 - 5,000 applicants.

Good luck!

MWU-AZ has the most productive dental clinic in the nation from what I understand. It is still expensive.
This school only cares about maximizing their profits. They are a private school. If they had a million dollars a day in production, they probably wouldn't make it one cent cheaper for the students.

In 2020+ when all of us graduate we will be looking at literally 500k norm debt not counting interest for all those new college graduates who want a shot at dentistry.

I pray for their souls. I also believe we are at the tail end of what used to be an amazing career choice.

There is no way to justify 500k debt to make 120k a year, and certainly no way to justify 600k debt to make that same amount.

Tuition should at most be doubled ur starting salary to be a good choice. Aka 240k to make 120k. I pray for those souls that get excited getting usc invites.

Reactions: 2 users
This school only cares about maximizing their profits. They are a private school. If they had a million dollars a day in production, they probably wouldn't make it one cent cheaper for the students.

I disagree, but I may be biased as a MWU-AZ student. I was accepted to 5 programs (including 3 public and 1 with a scholarship) and this was the best of them in my opinion. I don't mind paying more for things when I receive actual value for my investment. We do things at this school that no other program offers and it is largely thanks to that busy clinic and an accelerated academic schedule which makes us competent dentists by the end of the 3rd year. Our 4th year is intended as a built-in residency. Basically, MWU-AZ is UoP + 1 year for enhanced clinical competence.

If you are going to pay a lot for dental school (which you almost certainly will unless you live somewhere like Texas or Mississippi and can get into those schools), then make the most of it and go to a great school. I know of many dentists who have to fork over THOUSANDS for CE in Cerec, who have done very little work with veneers, who take CE for Invisalign, etc. I have heard of some programs (which are also very expensive) where students fight for chairs in the clinic, where students are punished for no-show appointments, and where students fail to graduate on time because they can't complete the minimum number of procedures. Some of these same programs give their students experience with only a handful of crown preps before they graduate, a few extractions, and the complex stuff gets passed off to the specialty programs. We have no specialty programs, and when we get a complex case to be seen by OMFS we don't refer out like some schools which advertise that they also lack specialty programs. Instead, we take the patient to the advanced clinic ourselves and our staff OMFS assists us on the procedure. The same is true for endo, perio, etc.

Students here extract hundreds of teeth, we are certified in Invisalign, implants, laser (hard and soft tissue) at the end of our 2nd year and we have 20 Cerecs to share unlike most schools which have 2 or 3 if any at all. That means we don't need to take CE just to learn how to use Cerec. I know a couple of dentists who had to do that and it cost them a lot (travel, lost wages, plus the cost of attendance).

Is it expensive? Yes. Are we receiving the best clinical education in the nation? I believe so. I attended 9 interviews and asked students which school they would go to if not the one they were at. The school which received the most praise by far was MWU-AZ.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I disagree, but I may be biased as a MWU-AZ student. I was accepted to 5 programs (including 3 public and 1 with a scholarship) and this was the best of them in my opinion. I don't mind paying more for things when I receive actual value for my investment. We do things at this school that no other program offers and it is largely thanks to that busy clinic and an accelerated academic schedule which makes us competent dentists by the end of the 3rd year. Our 4th year is intended as a built-in residency. Basically, MWU-AZ is UoP + 1 year for enhanced clinical competence.

If you are going to pay a lot for dental school (which you almost certainly will unless you live somewhere like Texas or Mississippi and can get into those schools), then make the most of it and go to a great school. I know of many dentists who have to fork over THOUSANDS for CE in Cerec, who have done very little work with veneers, who take CE for Invisalign, etc. I have heard of some programs (which are also very expensive) where students fight for chairs in the clinic, where students are punished for no-show appointments, and where students fail to graduate on time because they can't complete the minimum number of procedures. Some of these same programs give their students experience with only a handful of crown preps before they graduate, a few extractions, and the complex stuff gets passed off to the specialty programs. We have no specialty programs, and when we get a complex case to be seen by OMFS we don't refer out like some schools which advertise that they also lack specialty programs. Instead, we take the patient to the advanced clinic ourselves and our staff OMFS assists us on the procedure. The same is true for endo, perio, etc. Students here extract hundreds of teeth, we are certified in Invisalign, implants, laser (hard and soft tissue) at the end of our 2nd year, and we have 20 Cerecs to share unlike most schools which have 2 or 3 which means that we don't need to take CE to learn Cerec. I know a couple of dentists who had to do that and it cost them. We get enough experience with them that we are doing advanced treatment planning entirely with CEREC. You want to know what that costs through CE? Like $10,000. https://www.cerecdoctors.com/campus-learning

Is it expensive? Yes. Are we receiving the best clinical education in the nation? I believe so. Where else do you receive the I attended 9 interviews and asked students which school they would go to if not the one they were at. The school which received the most praise by far was MWU-AZ.
Yalls curriculum is pretty awesome. The testing schedule seems pretty stressful but at TAMU we don't go into the sim lab or touch a handpeice until second semester. @fogorvostan knows how jealous I am. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

If you are going to pay a lot for dental school (which you almost certainly will unless you live somewhere like Texas or Mississippi and can get into those schools), then make the most of it and go to a great school. I know of many dentists who have to fork over THOUSANDS for CE in Cerec, who have done very little work with veneers, who take CE for Invisalign, etc. I have heard of some programs (which are also very expensive) where students fight for chairs in the clinic, where students are punished for no-show appointments, and where students fail to graduate on time because they can't complete the minimum number of procedures. Some of these same programs give their students experience with only a handful of crown preps before they graduate, a few extractions, and the complex stuff gets passed off to the specialty programs. We have no specialty programs, and when we get a complex case to be seen by OMFS we don't refer out like some schools which advertise that they also lack specialty programs. Instead, we take the patient to the advanced clinic ourselves and our staff OMFS assists us on the procedure. The same is true for endo, perio, etc.

Students here extract hundreds of teeth, we are certified in Invisalign, implants, laser (hard and soft tissue) at the end of our 2nd year and we have 20 Cerecs to share unlike most schools which have 2 or 3 if any at all. That means we don't need to take CE just to learn how to use Cerec. I know a couple of dentists who had to do that and it cost them a lot (travel, lost wages, plus the cost of attendance). We get enough experience with them that we are doing advanced treatment planning entirely with CEREC. You want to know what that costs through CE? https://www.cerecdoctors.com/campus-learning.

Is it expensive? Yes. Are we receiving the best clinical education in the nation? I believe so. I attended 9 interviews and asked students which school they would go to if not the one they were at. The school which received the most praise by far was MWU-AZ.
If you want to go to a more expensive school, more power to you.
Yalls curriculum is pretty awesome. The testing schedule seems pretty stressful but at TAMU we don't go into the sim lab or touch a handpeice until second semester. @fogorvostan knows how jealous I am. :laugh:
I'd take your situation (low debt) any day of the week.

Yeah, I love this place. We completed our first wax veneer on day 1 and our first endo access on week 3. But TAMU is a great school, and as @Panis et Circenses has pointed out, it is much cheaper!

I'd take your situation (low debt) any day of the week.

As I said, if you are a Texas native or are fortunate enough to live in one of the few states with a cheap state school then by all means go for it. Most of us do not have that option. It is nice that most of us at MWU-AZ can avoid a 1 or 2 year AEGD/GPR after school which means one or two years of additional salary (another important consideration).

Students here extract hundreds of teeth, we are certified in Invisalign, implants, laser (hard and soft tissue) at the end of our 2nd year and we have 20 Cerecs to share unlike most schools which have 2 or 3 if any at all. That means we don't need to take CE just to learn how to use Cerec. I know a couple of dentists who had to do that and it cost them a lot (travel, lost wages, plus the cost of attendance). We get enough experience with them that we are doing advanced treatment planning entirely with CEREC. You want to know what that costs through CE? https://www.cerecdoctors.com/campus-learning.

Totally random but just wanted to mention I saw a cerec for the first time ever the other day while shadowing a family friend's procedure. I was so impressed by that thing! Truly amazing technology

Just for comparison's sake, what would a Texas school look like compared to a school like NYU or USC?

One for UPENN, Harvard, Columbia

I politely and respectfully request the OOS cost of the University of Louisville, please.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Hey would you mind doing one for Nova?

If you guys want to do it, here's the formula I've been using.

D1(1.06)^4 + D2(1.06)^3 + D3(1.06)^2 + D4(1.06)^1

But since I'm a nice guy, here we go.

UPENN
Adding up all fees, and living costs ($1,530 per month)
D1: $113,876 -> $143,765.83 (after 6% interest)
D2: $111,472 -> $132764.94 (after 6% interest)
D3: $115,448 -> $129,717 (after 6% interest)
D4: $110,616 -> $117,252.96 (after 6% interest)

Total Cost for UPENN: $523,501.09

Harvard

Adding up all fees, and living costs (in this case, I estimated 1,500 per month)
D1 $82,586.00 -> $104,262.92 (after 6% interest)
D2 $100,211.00 -> $119,352.90 (after 6% interest)
D3 $99,434.00 -> $111,724.04 (after 6% interest)
D4 $94,510 -> $100,180.60 (after 6% interest)

Total cost for Harvard: $435,520.47

Columbia

Looks like you need to call them to find that out. If anybody knows, let me know haha.

University of Louisville
On their website, they only listed the cost for one year. Which is $71,649 for Out of State students.
So assuming each year costs the same, and assuming you live off $1,500 per month, that gives
D1: $89,649 -> $113,179.80 (after 6% interest)
D2: $89,649 -> $106,773.40 (after 6% interest)
D3: $89,649 -> $100,729.62 (after 6% interest)
D4: $89,649 -> $95,027.94 (after 6% interest)

Total Cost for Louisville (OOS): $415,710.75

Nova - I could only find tuition, which was high (62,000) per year. I'm not sure how much it would be with fees, I can't find those listed. Anyone with information please comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Columbia
Looks like you need to call them to find that out. If anybody knows, let me know haha.

CDM total expenses:

D1: $106,922
D2: $106,428
D3: $109,073
D4: $106,736

Total CDM Cost: $497,438.60 before annual tuition/fees increase.
This includes ~$1,948/mo for New York cost of living.

Reactions: 3 users

So, here it is. I get it that you aren't going to have a majority of predents not apply to every crazy expensive school out there. Too many predents, too many schools. However, if a coordinated effort were made to blackball a particular school and it made filling their class a challenge, this may serve as a wake up call to the rest of them.

Make it so.

Big Hoss
You do understand, that there still will be a lot of people around, who may not have excellent stats, but have plenty of money? At least for a few more years.
There is a need to protest through organizations like ADA or ADEA maybe even congressmen

If you guys want to do it, here's the formula I've been using.

D1(1.06)^4 + D2(1.06)^3 + D3(1.06)^2 + D4(1.06)^1

But since I'm a nice guy, here we go.

UPENN
Adding up all fees, and living costs ($1,530 per month)
D1: $113,876 -> $143,765.83 (after 6% interest)
D2: $111,472 -> $132764.94 (after 6% interest)
D3: $115,448 -> $129,717 (after 6% interest)
D4: $110,616 -> $117,252.96 (after 6% interest)

Total Cost for UPENN: $523,501.09
With those fees and living cost, under my calculator to account for 3% annual increase in tuition and biannual disbursement, I got 536k

Per semester - 56426
Interest - 0.06

Interest accumulated per semester (1 through 8)

Interest : 84672.86
Total Principal: 451408

With those fees and living cost, under my calculator to account for 3% annual increase in tuition and biannual disbursement, I got 536k

Per semester - 56426
Interest - 0.06

Interest accumulated per semester (1 through 8)

Interest : 84672.86
Total Principal: 451408
Wow. Yeah the only thing I haven't been doing in these calculations is taking into account tuition increases. The reason being is that although the trend is for the schools to increase tuition annually, it's not known whether or not it will happen with absolute certainty. So on all of the estimates I have been making, they are actually pretty conservative estimates.

Regarding clinical strength of schools and justifying the cost....

School is what you make of it. Just because you go to a clinically weak or strong school does not mean you will graduate being strong or weak. That is up to you as the student to decide whether you will tackle all the extras the school allows you. I went to one of the strongest clinically strong schools and there was a variety of strong and weak students that graduate; HOWEVER, that being said, EVERYONE is WEAK when they graduate and get a job. EVERYONE.

I don't care what you say about this school or that school, every new grad, is a NEW grad. And it takes about 1 year learning curve or 2 depending on how you fare to really catch up to speed.
These are simply my opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Regarding clinical strength of schools and justifying the cost....

School is what you make of it. Just because you go to a clinically weak or strong school does not mean you will graduate being strong or weak. That is up to you as the student to decide whether you will tackle all the extras the school allows you. I went to one of the strongest clinically strong schools and there was a variety of strong and weak students that graduate; HOWEVER, that being said, EVERYONE is WEAK when they graduate and get a job. EVERYONE.

I don't care what you say about this school or that school, every new grad, is a NEW grad. And it takes about 1 year learning curve or 2 depending on how you fare to really catch up to speed.
Yeah, it's pretty funny when people justify going to an expensive school because it has an "amazing clinical experience". Every school I have interviewed at have told me "you will get the best clinical experience at our school". I'm not kidding, every single one. The real reason why people go to expensive schools is because they can't get into a cheaper school. Sometimes it's due to no fault of their own (location). Sometimes it's due to the fact that they received the HPSP scholarship, but let's be honest, nearly everyone will go into the cheapest school they can get into. Don't buy the BS that people try to sell when they justify paying 500k for dental education.

Yeah, it's pretty funny when people justify going to an expensive school because it has an "amazing clinical experience". Every school I have interviewed at have told me "you will get the best clinical experience at our school". I'm not kidding, every single one. The real reason why people go to expensive schools is because they can't get into a cheaper school. Sometimes it's due to no fault of their own (location). Sometimes it's due to the fact that they received the HPSP scholarship, but let's be honest, nearly everyone will go into the cheapest school they can get into. Don't buy the BS that people try to sell when they justify paying 500k for dental education.
I will gladly pay 100k more than my state school to get into Harvard or one of the ivies. Also the California state schools. There are much harder to get into than my state school. Your logic makes no sense.

I will gladly pay 100k more than my state school to get into Harvard or one of the ivies. Also the California state schools. There are much harder to get into than my state school. Your logic makes no sense.
You gave no justification other than "just because" ...

You gave no justification other than "just because" ...
"The real reason why people go to expensive schools is because they can't get into a cheaper school"

This statement is factually incorrect. Most people that go to Harvard, Columbia, and UPENN can get into their state schools.

Nova - I could only find tuition, which was high (62,000) per year. I'm not sure how much it would be with fees, I can't find those listed. Anyone with information please comment.

From Nova's site:
"Tuition for 2015–2016 is $62,350 for Florida residents and $62,850 for out-of-state students. A Health Professions Division general access fee of $145 is required each year. An NSU student services fee of $900 is also required annually. "

I would be interested in seeing a cost comparison between Nova and Buffalo if you wouldn't mind lol

That's why I said nearly everyone. There aren't many ivy league dental schools, but those are a different case anyway. I'm talking about the no-name, ridiculously expensive schools that pop up all over the place.

I really think the best deal now-a-days for private is UoP. Graduate in 3 years, work one year earlier, put more loans in, get faster clinically, so they have a head start on the interest accumulation and debt repayment than their traditional counterparts.

I really think the best deal now-a-days for private is UoP. Graduate in 3 years, work one year earlier, put more loans in, get faster clinically, so they have a head start on the interest accumulation and debt repayment than their traditional counterparts.
I've thought about that though. Financially, you may be better off going to a school that ends up costing you only 420,000. UoP will get you roughly 500k of debt. You'd probably have to make 150k+ to be able to put 80k down on your loans. So if you can secure yourself a really good job out of school, it may be a better option.

Wow UoP is that much???? Wow! Good luck guys.

From Nova's site:
"Tuition for 2015–2016 is $62,350 for Florida residents and $62,850 for out-of-state students. A Health Professions Division general access fee of $145 is required each year. An NSU student services fee of $900 is also required annually. "

I would be interested in seeing a cost comparison between Nova and Buffalo if you wouldn't mind lol
I'm skeptical about those fees listed on Nova's website, because the fees seem to be too low. Most schools charge $10,000-$20,000 in equipment fees, and other educational fees per year. It seems to me like that what nova listed might not be the whole story. Could anyone who has recently interviewed at Nova provide some input?

Well for Buffalo, here we go:
For an out of state student:
Tuition + Fees + Living Cost ($1,500 per month)
D1: $105,996
D2: $103,089
D3: $102,588
D4: $98,257

Assuming 6% interest compounded annually
D1: $133,817.51
D2: $122,780.65
D3: $115,267.87
D4: $104,152.42

Grand total for Buffalo (OOS): $476,018.45

IF, you can get in-state tuition after one year, the total cost becomes:
D1: $113,817.51
D2: $86,776.23
D3: $81,301.45
D4: $72,108.62
Grand total (for OOS students receiving residency after 1 year): $374,003.81

Thanks to Incis0r for knowing you can get in-state tuition after a year.

Last edited:
I feel pain for whoever goes to Buffalo as an out of state student.

Buffalo gives in-state tuition after D1. I have personally spoken with their financial aid office, talked about the requirements needed to switch to in-state, and confirmed that this is extremely doable.

In fact, the day I called, the financial aid officer told me about the "bunch of applications he had on his desk to approve for in-state tuition" that day.

Buffalo gives in-state tuition after D1. I have personally spoken with their financial aid office and confirmed that this is extremely doable.
That's good news! I'll update this then.. Hold on

Thank you for posting buffalo. When I was at Nova nobody even talked about cost and there is nothing in the packet they gave us either.. I was able to find a little bit more though here http://dental.nova.edu/doctoral/finaid.html
Ok! That should tell the whole story. Ok, let me piece this together.

Tuition+Fees:
D1: $80,095
D2: $77,095
D3: $72,645
D4: $71,595

Assuming you live on $1,500 per month (the school estimates $1,800 but I think that's high), each year becomes:
D1: $98,095
D2: $95,095
D3: $90,645
D4: $89,595

Now, after taking interest into account (6% compounded annually), each year becomes:
D1: $123,842.68
D2: $113,259.67
D3: $101,848.72
D4: $94,970.70

Thus, an estimated grand total (OOS) for the school is $433,921.77.
For in-state students, the total would be $431,603.22. Not much difference.

Last edited:
For anyone interested in a more non-traditional route in dentistry, there's always the option of pursuing a combined DDS/PhD program, receiving significant tuition assistance (fully paid dental/PhD in some cases+stipend) is always an option.

However, this path is obviously only pertinent to those who have an interest in combining a specialty with a full-time career as a basic or clinical-science researcher (more stress/work longer hours/decrease salary; but, no loans and have the potential of making a lasting impact on dentistry as a whole)..

Reactions: 3 users

Really?!

Yeah it's kinda depressing. D1 here ALL didactic. We get to do some waxing this semester and we start operative & occlusion next semester but that's it.

Last edited:
Yeah it's kinda depressing. D1 here ALL didactic. We get to do some waxing this semester and we start operative & occlusion next semester but that's it.
So far, we have done waxing, sealants (on natural teeth!), impressions, couple of endo accesses, and then our perio rotation where we did fluoride varnishes and the like on each other. We don't get to do any CAD/CAM scanning until spring though :( That's what I'm really excited for.

So far, we have done waxing, sealants (on natural teeth!), impressions, couple of endo accesses, and then our perio rotation where we did fluoride varnishes and the like on each other. We don't get to do any CAD/CAM scanning until spring though :( That's what I'm really excited for.
The only dentistry related things we've learned so far is dental anatomy (and the little facts our didactic courses throw in there to attempt to make it relevant to dentistry). The other day when you mentioned pit lesions I was just like :uhno: " 2 months into dental school and I know NOTHING:laugh:." We start cariology in a few weeks though so i'm pretty excited about that. ;)

The only dentistry related things we've learned so far is dental anatomy (and the little facts our didactic courses throw in there to attempt to make it relevant to dentistry). The other day when you mentioned pit lesions I was just like :uhno: " 2 months into dental school and I know NOTHING:laugh:." We start cariology in a few weeks though so i'm pretty excited about that. ;)
Haha nice! I'm going to have to compare our curriculum some day. I know we both are doing all of our basic science stuff this year since we take part 1 of the boards in the summer. So how are we doing all of this additional dental stuff that you guys aren't currently doing? Am I in class longer? Do you guys have additional classes? Besides our basic sciences and oral health sciences, we have preventative dental, personal finance, and ethics (plus some silly university wide course that only meets every so often). We are in different spots in basic sciences because we haven't done any anatomy and I know you have. We still have 12 lecture hours a week though in BASI... :shrug:

Haha nice! I'm going to have to compare our curriculum some day. I know we both are doing all of our basic science stuff this year since we take part 1 of the boards in the summer. So how are we doing all of this additional dental stuff that you guys aren't currently doing? Am I in class longer? Do you guys have additional classes? Besides our basic sciences and oral health sciences, we have preventative dental, personal finance, and ethics (plus some silly university wide course that only meets every so often). We are in different spots in basic sciences because we haven't done any anatomy and I know you have. We still have 12 lecture hours a week though in BASI... :shrug:
We do need to compare I'm pretty curious about that. We do have a lot of other classes other than our basic sciences; ethics, evidence based dentistry, human behavior ect. I guess it will end up balancing out in D2?