The Name Game

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TravelingRunner

iLurk
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much leeway is there when choosing my professional name?

I go by my middle name. It's not that my first name is something embarrassing; it's just that it's a family name, and I've never been called by it (except by my credit card company). Can I choose to use my first initial and my middle and last name on official stuff, like lab coats, Rx, etc.?

For example, if my name were Sarah Michelle Gellar (obviously not :)), then I'd want S. Michelle Gellar on all official things - except for my degree, which could read Sarah Michelle Gellar like my first and second bachelor's degrees do.

The only reason I am considering this is that I am doing undergraduate research and hope to get published. In the interest of "branding," I'd prefer to use one name throughout my career.

Members don't see this ad.

If you get published, it will most likely be Last Name First Initial Second Initial. In your example, "Gellar SM"

I don't think anyone will mind you doing the "First initial Middle Name Last Name" thing on your white coat. If it is what you go by then keep on keeping on. But yeah the last name is what matters for publishing. (an issue for some women if they decide to change their name when they get married but they find ways of getting around it)

Members don't see this ad :)
The assistant peds program director here does the same thing - she goes by what I presume is her middle name and always abbreviates her first initial. I'm not sure how "official" it is, but that's how she signs her e-mails and how she is addressed generally.

With respect to the pubs thing, I've actually met multiple people that didn't change their last name when they got married in order to keep their professional work congruent.

How much leeway is there when choosing my professional name?

I go by my middle name. It's not that my first name is something embarrassing; it's just that it's a family name, and I've never been called by it (except by my credit card company). Can I choose to use my first initial and my middle and last name on official stuff, like lab coats, Rx, etc.?

For example, if my name were Sarah Michelle Gellar (obviously not :)), then I'd want S. Michelle Gellar on all official things - except for my degree, which could read Sarah Michelle Gellar like my first and second bachelor's degrees do.

The only reason I am considering this is that I am doing undergraduate research and hope to get published. In the interest of "branding," I'd prefer to use one name throughout my career.

Like others of said, all that will really matter on the publishing is your last name, since that's what shows up in the citations. But, you can submit your "S. Michelle Gellar" name that will be at the top of the paper, just like others put "Sarah M. Gellar" if they want.

Just from semi-personal experience on the matter:
My boss only goes by his middle name (Michelle Gellar), doesn't even include the first initial. On our most recent publication everyone else was listed as "Gellar SM" and he was listed as "Michelle Gellar S" in pubmed. On the actual article it was everyone was listed as "Sarah M Gellar" and he was listed as "Sarah Michelle Gellar" since his middle name is essentially his first.

On business cards and that sort of thing I believe his full name is listed. But he only goes by his middle.
It's your name, do what you want with it ;)

One of my Surgery Attendings had S. Michelle Gellar on his white coat. However, in the EMR he'd show up as Sarah Michelle Gellar.