The "New" Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, short-time subscriber, first-time poster.

I would like to know who here is enrolled in this so-called "new" curriculum, which is organsystem-based as opposed to the archaic one. I'm about to take my boards in a couple weeks, and I get the feeling from the suits here that they're really banking heavily on our performances. That my class's boards score will be the litmus test to see if this curriculum is actually working.

I dont know about you, but it irks me to know that the first 2 years of medschool has been nothing more than a double-blind phase-II trial. The admin don't know if this is working and we students sure as hell don't know if we know ANYTHING.

In any event, I am gonna DOMINATE this beast in a couple weeks, and put an end to these miserable 6 weeks of oppression. Good luck to my fellow '06 class mates. Thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

well...my school 'tried' their awesome new curri on us...

'new' my a$$...exactaly same structure, same teacher, exactly same lecture (not even single word difference compare to last year...(stop goin to class) )

oh oh...they changed something...they decided not to give out any notes or class presentation pdf file to us...
'hey...we are not gonna give you nothing but study hard k? if your score is good compare to other schools then our system is workin...we are awesome...'

phweeee......

My school is one of those schools that went from the traditional to a new systems based curriculum. The first class to go through it board scores jumped 5 points. And that was with a ton of implimentation problems. Don't worry about it. You guys will beat the class above you without to much of a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our class of 100 or so which was the first on the "new curriculum" had seven people fail Step 1 the first time around of which three failed it the second time. Nobody failed it on the second attempt.

I believe the class before us on the "old curriculum" had five failures of which only one failed it the second time.

Jalby said:
My school is one of those schools that went from the traditional to a new systems based curriculum. The first class to go through it board scores jumped 5 points. And that was with a ton of implimentation problems. Don't worry about it. You guys will beat the class above you without to much of a problem.

I'm in the class above Jalby at the same school. He didn't mention that our curriculum stops introducing new material after spring break. I would argue, and many of my classmates agree, that this change in the scheduling has more to do with our improved scores than the change in the way the material is presented. That said, our administration was very smart in giving us this extra time to address any deficiencies to make it look like the curriculum change was successful.

Yeah, scheduling prolly was the most important thing in getting higher board scores (i.e. having 100 days to study) It also helps to have Path, Pharm, and Micro taught over two years so you have more time to learn everything that is more heavily tested. Of course, now that I am studying for the boards, I know I didn't study these as hard as I should have.

i belong to a school which is neither this or that..we started out as a partly didactic/partly PBL school..but hopefully now, theya re putting more emphasis on PBLs...oh yeah..and we are organ/system based
it kinda helps you connect things better especially when you move on to the clinical years..but when i am studying for the USMLE..i think the old system works slightly better..not sure why..but that's just me :cool: