The **NEW & IMPROVED** official low gpa thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junebuguf

Yo ***...Pimp My AMCAS
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...now with improved sudsing action to rinse clean even the filthiest of gpas.

I'm on crack... Anyway, I noticed that it had been a while since the old low gpa thread had been in significant use, so I thought I would start up a new one with info/advice for those of us with bad undergrad gpas. It might be useful to identify yourself with stats for comparative purposes. Let me start the cleansing:

Myself:
University of Florida undergrad. Graduated in 2001 with the following numbers:
ugad cumulative gpa: 2.24
undergrad BCMP: 2.68

Since then, completed 10 graduate credits and 32 post-bacc credits (basically, retook all the pre-reqs) with a an overall gpa of 3.97. Now my numbers are: AMCAS ugad gpa:2.70 AMCAS BCMP: 3.06

Progress in gpa has been slow, but moved up quite a bit since graduation.

I'm planning on completing another post-bacc year, taking the April 2005 MCAT and then possibly doing an SMP program (Georgetown, BU, Finch).

For all the other low gpa'ers, speak up! Lets hear numbers, stories, plans for the future, where you plan to apply, when you plan to apply.... Keep up the faith. Its a long road to overcome a poor undergrad performance, but it can be done!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Brandeis University
Overall GPA of around 2.61
Currently taking prereqs a la carte at UMass Boston.
Pondering what to do next after that. Looking into doing a masters(probably BU). Doing fine in my prereqs so far.

Boston University undergrad (Biomed Eng, 1990): GPA ~ 2.5
(had some significant chronic health issues)

UCONN post-bacc (on my own and then formal program): 1 1/2 years: GPA = 4.0

MCAT: 33S (11V, 11PS, 11BS)

Accepted to UCONN (only school applied to)

Currently an MS1 for a couple more weeks

Members don't see this ad :)
Duke University 1997
Classical Studies/Chemistry
2.07 BCPM(several F's), 2.56 total
graduated 1141/1191
:mad:

Worked temp jobs for a year. Finally got job as a organic chemistry research tech.

23 hours sci cont. ed. at Duke for ~3.5 (combination of grad courses and undergrad; 3.68 for last four courses)

Changed jobs and started synthesizing PET tracers (radiopharmaceuticals) at Duke Med Center.
MCAT in 2000: 12V,13P,12B,Q
2 interviews, 1 waitlist in 2002
:(

Now in MA Medical Science at BU. Doing neuropharmacology research thesis.
3.75 GPA :thumbup:
applying for Fall 2005. Retaking MCAT this August (expired).

Oh, yeah, and I turn 30 this summer.

Undergrad GPA 2.60 UC Davis
Economics B.S.
Post Bacc. GPA 3.75 San Francisco State University

After UC Davis, I spent a year in Dublin, Ireland working for Accenture's Financial Center and later transfering out to Los Angeles to work for a small investment firm. I got tired quickly working in finance, and decided to make a change. So here I am.

I started at SF state in Fall '03 to take the prereqs and try to save my GPA a bit. Started a research project on HIV/Hep. C liver transplant patients at UCSF and working on establishing a Peer HIV testing and counciling program at SF state. Also, TA for a Biology (HIV) class this last year.

Hopefully, with a good MCAT score I will have some chance of getting into a med school in Fall '06. Can't do anything about the past!

Reactions: 1 user
Undergrad in Math & Business: 2.8 (graduated in 1985)
MBA: 3.45
Post Bac w/ 35 credits: 4.0
- 2 more classes to take and an August MCAT

And I'm 41.

Reactions: 1 users
University of Florida also
BS Advertising - GPA = 2.73
This has been diminished by 4 F's, 1 of them I expect to get removed which will bump it up a tiny bit. I have yet to retake any premed classes.

Singing Devil said:

that REALLY SUX!!! having to retake a 37 is NOT COOL :thumbdown: :thumbdown:..sorry yo, hope you do well this time as well

CaptainJack02, you're preaching to the choir.

But hey, I had a 12V last time. Maybe one more question right, and that's a 13, meaning I could CLAIM 13-15 with the whole skewed bell curve thing. So, I might be able to break 40. That's my plan, at least. What REALLY sucks is that Kaplan is giving me an alumni discount of $50 off of $1449. That's less than 4% off.
And I don't even get the higher score guarantee since I took it before. So, I have to score higher, to at least justify the cost to myself.

Singing Devil said:
Duke University 1997
Classical Studies/Chemistry
2.07 BCPM(several F's), 2.56 total
graduated 1141/1191
:mad:

Worked temp jobs for a year. Finally got job as a organic chemistry research tech.

23 hours sci cont. ed. at Duke for ~3.5 (combination of grad courses and undergrad; 3.68 for last four courses)

Changed jobs and started synthesizing PET tracers (radiopharmaceuticals) at Duke Med Center.
2 interviews, 1 waitlist in 2002
:(

Now in MA Medical Science at BU. Doing neuropharmacology research thesis.
3.75 GPA :thumbup:

Oh, yeah, and I turn 30 this summer.

Thats quite a turn around, and i might add a very impressive one. Also, i noticed you went to DUKE, and i happen to be the biggest DUKE bball fan alive. Goodluck to you.

Mine is pretty patchy with about 5 F's, 10 W's...my first undergrad experience was not good! But it's looking up!

UCSD GPA BA Sociology 2.4 Grad 6/94 BCPM 2.4
Washington State University BA Psych 3.71 :) Grad 8/03 No BCPM
SJSU Post Bach (1st semester) - 3.75 BCPM 3.75

If I could only erase that first degree!!!! I didn't fail the courses as much as I basically stopped going to them and never withdrew....

If I continue with a 3.75 post bac over the next 3 semesters, by the time I apply will have brought the total GPA up to 2.95 and 3.01 BCPM. For DO school's (which I also plan to apply to), my GPA will be considerable higher - 3.5 overall, 3.35 BCPM. (Love the fact that I can delete the F's in my retaken classes and replace them with A's on the AACOMAS!)

Oh, and I'm 33....

Roselee

Reactions: 1 user
I am supposed to graduate this Spring (6/12/04) from UCSB with a bio major and a Spanish minor. But, I have decided to petition to stay as a fifth year senior to complete the Spanish major but at the same time take 12 units/quarter (3 quarters) of upper division biology. I'm still wating on the petition, which I hope is approved, otherwise I will have to pay about $8,000 for 1 year of science courses. However, as of now I have:

2.43 Science
2.91 Overall
16P MCAT (didn't study a thing) - 8B, 4V, 4P

I am planning on taking 36 units of upper-divison bio this upcoming year, re-taking the MCAT either in August or in April, then re-applying to Med School and to Post-Bacs June 2005. If anyone has any advice/suggestions for me, please PM me.

I forgot to mention...I'm only 22 (and happily married)

Also, if my petition is approved I could potentially take 12 units of LOWER division science courses this summer.....**do you recommend that I take them or that I don't take them since they're lower division?**

Good luck to everyone!

Wow, its great to see so many posts--I knew there had to be a community of underdogs on this forum. It looks like most of us (if not all) are still in the beginning stages of recuperating from a dismal undergrad performance.

Have any of you had a chance to speak to ADCOM members to get a feel for what they would like to see someone in our position do to become a better candidate? If you have, please share. I've had the opportunity to speak to a couple of committee members, and I will summarize their positions here:

Emory Faculty Member & ADCOM member (a good friend of mine is a second year there, so she helped me get in touch with him...not that I would have a shot in hell): Basically, need a track record of upward movement by which he meant at least 2 years of solid grades before applying, preferably three years of grades before applying.

University of Florida Director of Admissions Robyn Sheppard (brief phone call): basically said the same thing, but did, by name, reccomend the Georgetown SMP program.

University of South Florida (via email): did not reccomend any particular program, said only academic improvement in a rigorous curriculum (heavy course load, I presume).

Nothing we all didnt already know, but I highly encourage all you to discuss your situation with the Director of Admissions or someone who is on their ADCOM committee at your home state schools and possibly report back. It can be surprisingly easy to get in touch with a director of admissions, just call the med school office and ask to speak with them! If you catch them at the right time, you can get some great info.

Also, I would like to stress the one common denominator from all of my correspondences that I left out. We've all heard some form of the old line 'We're looking for a reason to accept you, not a reason to reject you' from ADCOMS. Well it seems this is particularly so for non-traditional students, a class of which we will all me members by the time we matriculate. They are looking for a strong dedication to medicine from non-trads. I know this doesnt apply everywhere, but the Emory faculty member told me that non-trads with interesting life experiences (spent a year volunteering with a medical rescue mission in South America, a year with a Peace Corps, et.) fare far better than the run of the mill, physician shadowing and hospital volunteering experiences. I know spending a year abroad might not be feasible for most (if not anyone) here--certainly not for me. But I, for one, took that to heart and have decided to stake out some unique volunteering opportunities. I did have about 100 hours of volunteering experince at a radiologists office (but that was over 4 years ago when I was still trying and undergrad and my transcript didnt look like a postcard from Afghanistan) Anyway, I found a great opportunity to work as an HIV pre and pst test counselor. It requires more training that the typical volunteer positions--depending on your state's requirements, anywhere from professional certification or a few weeks of training from your local Red Cross. I'm sure that when I apply and am asked the inevitable,'Why do you want to become a physician?...What kind of exposure do you have to medicine?.....In what ways have you bettered the lives of others?' during interviews, I'll have a great answer and excellent experiences from which to draw upon.

So for those of you still looking for volunteer opportunities look into finding something unique--I believe this means more to us than for traditional (3.7/32) applicants.

I just completed a year of post-bacc coursework where I took all of the pre-reqs, so if you're just starting out on taking those courses, I might also recommend taking the Honors sections whenever possible. If you're not sure how to get into an Honor's section at your school, or why you should, heres a link on a post I wrote earlier. Honor's Courses for Pre-Reqs

Members don't see this ad :)
Some questions for you guys:

For those of you that have applied and interviewed before: What kind of feedback did you get from your interviewers (if it was an open interview)? How did the school react to your undergrad grades? Would you guys say that once you get to the interview stage, its all pretty much even?

SingingDevil: Do keep this thread updated on your progress through the interviews and acceptances that are sure to come your way this year...! A really good med school friend wants me to apply this year for Fall 2005, but I'm far too scared to go through the process only to get a rejection. I think another year of post-bacc (it'll take around 60 credits to get my overall gpa to 3.0, so maybe two!) and then maybe the G'Town SMP. I'm shooting for Fall 2006! Did you get anything from Kaplan? Everyone I talked to said that they felt it was mostly a waste--they would have done as well just studying on their own. I've been scouring the web for their course materials though--especially they science workbooks, I hear they're full of science passages, which I think make for the best practice--I cannot, of the life of me, pay attention in class lectures, so paying $1500 for th pleasure of the same experience seems dubious. Also, hows the BU program working out? Are you just beginning your second year now? I'm definetely interested in that program, among others (G'Town, Drexel) Is getting a 4.0 in that program feasible? Does that assure BU admission?

Rpost: I'm seriously contemplating completing a second Bachelors in Biology. My first undergrad is in Computer Science. Are you planning on doing the Drexel IMS program or their pre-med req's program? Would you redo the first bachelor's, or just proceed to a masters as at Drexel or Georgetown?

C.Ronaldo: Great to see another Gator! I dont think I would be up for another 4 years in Gainesville though--great city, but having lived in DC (an city that doesnt revolve around a uni) it'd be tough to go back--beggars cant be choosers though, and I'd kill for a spot at UF. Are you still completing your undergrad? How can you have a grade removed after the fact? I had one terrible semester where I flunked 15 credits! Didnt bother withdrawing either....yeah! Anyway, is there a way to petition the College of Arts and Sciences or the Dean to apply a Withdrawal to my record after graduating??? That would help my GPA immensely!

For everyone whos completed their pre-reqs and is contemplating plans for the future, what are your pros/cons for your decision--why did you choose a Masters instead of more post-bacc to increase that undergrad gpa?

Thanks for the great posts, and keep 'em coming!

BeanBean, thats a great story! Are you a Connecticut resident? Does UCONN take a large number of students from their program each year?

Hey cozmokrmr, I am about to start SFSU this fall. Can I e-mail you? I have many questions to ask. My e-mail address is [email protected]. I hope to hear from soon......

With all the "feel good" energy in the room I feel I should introduce myself.

Graduated from the University of Colorado with a degree in Economics and completed all the pre-reqs. Cum gpa = 2.3 with a science gpa about the same. No real hardships here just a long list of hangovers.
I just completed a post-bac year at the university of houston with a post-bac gpa of 3.92 in 30 credits of upper division work and 2 pre-req retakes. I'm planning on taking the MCAT in August and currently am shooting for 2005 matriculation. Does anyone here think I have a shot with a good MCAT showing or should I post-pone applying and complete another 12 credits of post-bac before applying? Regardless I will continue to take 2 courses a semester while working full-time and reapply if I have to. Anyway I'm having a hard time deciding if it's too soon to apply so if someone with some knowledge on my situation could chime in I would appreciate it. Just a quick FYI I also worked as a research tech for 2 years after college and am soon to be a published reformed student :D

junebug,

You might do okay to apply now. You could definitely look into a postbacc program like BU right now. BU only requires you to take the GRE (although they'll take the MCAT instead). Your recently successful GPA should get you in. I haven't found any med school anywhere that looks primarily at the total undergrad GPA or total science GPA as much as they look at the recent trend--it's more a matter of what have you done for me lately. That includes the BU program. So, if you're doing well, I'd say go ahead and apply to med school AND to the masters programs. Just make sure you do well on the MCAT. Not getting in this year won't hurt you--adcoms will be able to see your progress, and your commitment, when you reapply with better stats.

Regarding Kaplan, I found it incredibly useful. If you missed a class, you could watch videos of each class session (by people who the Kaplan company picked and who are very good teachers). I think the most useful thing for me--other than the strategies for answering verbal reasoning questions, saving time on bubbling sheets, how to guarantee at least a 4 on each essay--was taking the MCAT in realistic scenarios for 5 straight Saturdays before the real one. I had my exact same time of going to bed, getting up, same supper, breakfast, and lunch each Friday and Saturday, so I knew how tired I would be at each section and everything. Basically by the day of the MCAT, I knew exactly what state my brain would be in all during the long test, because I had gotten used to it. But, do what's best for you. I felt Kaplan taught me everything I would need to know, held me to a standard of knowledge much higher than the MCAT (I think my highest Kaplan was a 32), and provided endless material to test myself. They now offer an online question bank (and the whole course online) so that you can work at home, but I found going to the Kaplan place kept me more disciplined.

Re the BU program, the people here say that you need to get a 3.5 in the program and 30 MCAT in order to get in here or elsewhere. 4.0? I suppose it's possible, but insanely difficult. You have to remember, the BU program is courses with the med school, and the med school courses are, without a doubt, the hardest courses I have ever taken as far as amount of work required, amount of memorization, and just requiring every part of your brain. It makes you appreciate why they require so much stuff on the MCAT.
I was in a medical microbiology course and got a 89 final average. That was a B+. Of course, that course is an anomaly. In most classes, that would have been an A. But, trust me, if you do well in the BU program, you WILL get in medical school. No ifs, ands, or buts. 85% of the graduates matriculate to allopathic schools in the US; the rest go on to nursing, dentistry, DOs, foreign meds, etc. If you want to know more, see the separate thread about the program (I'd link it, but I don't know how.)

Now, I just wish endocrinology and immunology would just end. I've got cabin fever.

TiggidyTooth: you're liable to hear as many opinions regarding when/where to aplpy as there are posters. My numbers and progress is eerily close to yours--just completed post-bacc with 32 credits and 3.97 with 2.25 ugad gpa. For comparision, I'm shooting for 2006 matriculation with either another year of post-bacc and the G'Town program during the application year (2005-2006).

As for what to do, it really all depends--I've read quite a few stories on this forum of people in similar positions who applied after a year of post-bacc and got in...and several who applied and didnt get in anywhere. What are you planning on doing doing the application year? If its not taking full-time classes preferably at the masters level in a hard science program or a special masters program, you may want to reconsider. Also, how strong is the rest of your application--if you dont have strong Extracurriculars, volunteer experience and recommendation letters, you absolutely need to spend a year building up your resume. There are tons of stories of 3.8/37 applicants who didnt get in anywhere for the very same reason.

I always believe you should have the best application possible (for your circumstances) prior to applying. Then again, I'm scared to death of being a reapplicant--one time through the blender is enough for me.

Also, if you're taking the mcat for the first time in August, I would *strongly* advise against applying this year. There are tons--let me stress TONS--of stories both here and on mdapplicants.com (search w/ gpa range < 3.0) of people who applied late and failed to get in anywhere. For people in our position, having the application in as soon as humanly possible is imperative--of this much, I am ABSOLUTELY sure. By the time your MCAT scores get in, it'll be October (yes?). Thats late for us. And being a reapplicant puts you at a disadvantage at some schools who frown upon it. I dont want to dissuade you if you're sure you want 2005 matriculation, but seriously rethink it!

What does everyone else think?

PS Also, I should say a lot depends on which schools you feel you have the best shot at. For me, South Florida (home state) really stresses leadership and community service, so I need to take this year and build up a resume. Your best chance schools may not. Its a crapshoot...

SingingDevil,

Thanks for the great info in your post. It was really helpful. I am now seriously reevaluating my plan and considering BU instead of G'Town. Here is my rationale for choosing one SMP program over the other: if I'm going to shell out 50k and a year (maybe two) of my life, I want to feel like doing well in the program will give me one more school at which I have a good chance of matriculation. From what I've heard/read about G'town you really need a 4.0 there to be considered a serious candidate for G'Town med. And, with my ugad grades, I wouldnt be able to get into G'Town med directly after the program ends--it would take me two years anyway. Thats why BU seems like a better alternative. It seems like a very strong performance in the program can help get me into BU med. A lot also depends on how people in the program with my stats are faring--thats why I hope you'll keep all of us posting in this thread updated with your progress, it'll definitely help us out.

Re Kaplan. I've decided to stick with EK, and no formal classroom review. Its works best for my style, but when I take a TPR or Kaplan exam after reviewing material in EK, I invariably get some questions wrong because EK doesnt want you to memorize formulas that Kaplan and TPR do. So I'm wondering if EK is thorough enough. We'll see.

Are you concerned about having you application materials (i.e. MCAT) in too late for this cycle? As I wrote to TiggidyTooth above, I always thought a late application was the kiss of death.

Incidentally, did you already apply in a previous cycle? How did it go?

Well, I wouldn't say a late application is the kiss of death, but it certainly helps to get it in as early as possible. In my case, I took the MCAT before, so I'm hoping that they'll see my earlier scores and realize that I'm retaking it as a mere formality; thus, there should be no need for adcoms to hold my application until the Aug. scores come in, as they would traditionally do.

I have actually applied before (see my summary above). I received 2 interviews (UNC and SLU), and was waitlisted at SLU--after not getting off the waitlist, I started pursuing the BU masters option, but it was too late to apply for that fall, so I had to wait until 2003. I should add that I was further hampered by the infamous AMCAS crash of 2002. That year (2001-2002), numerous schools had to fly through a late and screwed up admissions process because of the failure to properly implement the newly all-online AMCAS. (e.g. SLU didn't finish INTERVIEWS until the middle of June. Just mention that year to anyone in admissions and listen to them groan and complain.) I think that probably meant more weeding out than normal (and thus only 2 interviews).

Let me just add this link for anyone interested in the BU program (which I highly recommend):
http://cobalt.bumc.bu.edu/current/Catalog/medsci/intro.htm

The BU MA thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=119348

well.. I wouldnt be so eager to expose my (ergh) undergrad history, but it seems a lot of you guys are in (or have been in) the same boat, so here's me:

BU Undergrad (joint philosophy/psychology) cum: 2.38
-in major cum: 3.21

I applied to UCONN Post-Bac this year, but didnt get in. Now I'm working as an EMT and thinking about taking just the classes in the UCONN non degree program (a la carte) over the next year or so. Obviously I am going to need to blow them out of the water to even have a shot at med school. I'm glad to see that so many of you guys have done it though, it makes me feel a lot better about my own chances.

Where are you applying to do your postbacc?

UCSB2004 said:
I am supposed to graduate this Spring (6/12/04) from UCSB with a bio major and a Spanish minor. But, I have decided to petition to stay as a fifth year senior to complete the Spanish major but at the same time take 12 units/quarter (3 quarters) of upper division biology. I'm still wating on the petition, which I hope is approved, otherwise I will have to pay about $8,000 for 1 year of science courses. However, as of now I have:

2.43 Science
2.91 Overall
16P MCAT (didn't study a thing) - 8B, 4V, 4P

I am planning on taking 36 units of upper-divison bio this upcoming year, re-taking the MCAT either in August or in April, then re-applying to Med School and to Post-Bacs June 2005. If anyone has any advice/suggestions for me, please PM me.

I forgot to mention...I'm only 22 (and happily married)

Also, if my petition is approved I could potentially take 12 units of LOWER division science courses this summer.....**do you recommend that I take them or that I don't take them since they're lower division?**

Good luck to everyone!

Yeah, so many out there like me...

UG gpa 2.8 overall, 2.5 science: B.S. in Nutrition, UC Berkeley
grad gpa: 3.8 M.S. in Nutrition, Brooklyn College of CUNY
8 post bacc units: 4.0
MCAT: 36R: 12B, 13P, 11V
Registered Dietitian for 4 years in underserved primary care settings

Applied last year, 2 interviews, 2 waitlists, but now down to one.

I'm gearing up for round 2 and for taking some more post-bacc classes. Can't decide if I want to go the formal route or DIY. Any suggestions? There are two CUNY programs I am considering, or maybe UC Berkeley Extension distance learning?

Hey guys,

I feel for you although my GPA is only so-so (3.33) :D. I'm waitlisted at my top-choice school now, reapplying this summer, taking MCATs again. Next semester, it's post-bacc time!

Now here's a funny thing about the Square Root Club that I heard about from a birdie at Cornell. You can only be in the club if the square root of your GPA is greater than your GPA :D. Have fun figuring that out! :D

Funny thing is...the MD's 2 B in this thread will probably have the best bed side manner and be the most "approachable" docs out there.
I have faith in our "team" here guys - you watch - we'll get in!
Oh yeah...my stats:
Univeristy of Michigan
English / Bio - a lot of B's and C's:
GPA: 2.5ish
MCAT: 24 T.
College athlete with a penchant for sororities.
Now clinical scientist with a pharma company.
Couple publications, good LOR's and EC's
Accepted: Wayne State MS post-bac program. (goin' back to Michigan).
Will retake MCAT in the next 1.5 years. - Will have to 4.0 the MS degree to be in the running.
junebuguf - many thanks for giving the sub-B levels hope.

I'm amazed at the reponse to this thread. Nearly 800 people have read it, many of you have submitted personal inventories of your circumstances which, if you're interested in this thread to begin with, means it can't be that flatterina portrayal of your abilities. Nonetheless, theres strength in numbers, and knowing that there are many of us struggling with the same issues and choices makes this easier...for me, anyway.

I'm always looking for people who have already been through this and made it to med school. If you happen to know anyone who has, try to get them to post.

Hello everybody--

I too had a lackluster academic performance at UF--must be something in the water down there. My GPA= 2.9 after 85 credits before I dropped out. Since then I've been a bartender, short order cook, a failed small business owner, a professional home-horticulturalist ;), a roofer, a carpenters assistant, electrician's apprentice, locksmith's helper, surveyor, dock hand, picture framer, a valet, EMT, and now an ER tech....I finally found my calling--medicine.

I started going back to community college in San Francisco and have done really well in science prereqs. I'm transferring to San Francisco State for a biology degree. I hope to do really well. It's been nice reading your stories. Rock on you rag-tag bunch of rebels!--Ben

For anyone about to start the post-bacc program at San Francisco State University, PLEASE private message me - I just finished 3 1/2 years there with many potholes along the way. I was also the pre-osteopathic advisor at State for a year so I have lots to share with anyone on the other side. There's no real pre-med advisor to speak of - and what seems to be 400 new post-baccs every semester. We all seemed to stumble along, forging our own paths - many were ultimately successful but I would have liked a bit more of a supportive environment.

My stats: 3.1 from undergrad (4.0 the last two years)

Post-bacc GPA: 2.89 with zero A's in BCMP courses - I made the mistake of working while I went to school but let's not go there. One W, one D retaken for an A-, mostly B's and two C's in about 50 units of science.

MCAT: 9 Bio, 9 Verbal, 7 Physical - total of 25.

Applied in August of last year, got two interviews, one acceptance and one waitlist. If I had only applied in May, or taken the MCAT when I finished all my pre-req's - who knows what would have happened.

It is possible to get in with low scores!! I would recommend against the post-bacc program at SFSU unless you are a complete self-starter and don't need any guidance (which I would have liked). If you're set on going there, send me a message and I'll give you the teachers to take/avoid.

Kay

Congrats, which school did you get into?

I just finished my 1st year at SF State in the Post Bacc. program. While I agree with Kay that a little more support would be nice while going through the process, you shouldn't be going into medicine if you're not a self starter. Everyone has their own story and way of getting through the prereqs and preparing to apply to med school at SF State. You've got to search out and network with everyone you can talk to and use whatever you can apply to your own story. This process isn't easy, but it's always easy to have someone hold your hand during difficult times. I graduated from UC Davis a few years back, and I think the teaching and opportunities to do volunteer and research at SF State are just as good. Let me know if you're thinking of going to SF State for the post bacc program and I'll help you with deciding what classes to take, teachers, volunteer, research, etc.

seth
[email protected]

How many courses are people on this thread taking? Are you all taking courses fulltime?

How old is everyone???

I'm 28. :)

Hmm. I am 21. I'm starting SFSU post bac this fall. I have a 3.55 community college GPA (2 c's, 3 w's) and a 3.5 UCLA gpa (2 c's, 1 less than C grade, 2 w's).

Yo I'm 30, I'll be working full time while taking a full load of classes, may the force be with me! :oops:

cozmokrmr said:
I just finished my 1st year at SF State in the Post Bacc. program. While I agree with Kay that a little more support would be nice while going through the process, you shouldn't be going into medicine if you're not a self starter. Everyone has their own story and way of getting through the prereqs and preparing to apply to med school at SF State. You've got to search out and network with everyone you can talk to and use whatever you can apply to your own story. This process isn't easy, but it's always easy to have someone hold your hand during difficult times. I graduated from UC Davis a few years back, and I think the teaching and opportunities to do volunteer and research at SF State are just as good. Let me know if you're thinking of going to SF State for the post bacc program and I'll help you with deciding what classes to take, teachers, volunteer, research, etc.

seth
[email protected]

I'm 29, going to be 30 this year.

I must say, I disagree with all of this. Having to search out a path during such a time-critical period sounds like floundering to me. As it appears to be a matter of opinion at this point, I'll just invite others to PM me if you have any questions.

Also, posting this in a low-gpa thread is kind of sadistic - these people need all the help they can get, why direct them to a rudderless program?

cher25 said:
Congrats, which school did you get into?

Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Med - Florida campus!!

I'm 24, will be 25 this month!!!! YEAAAHHHHH!!! I can feel myself age as we speak. When is it, exactly, when you're supposed to start dreading birthdays? I think med-aspirants age faster because we know how long a road it is once you're in med school, let alone how long it will be before you even get there!

I'm planning on 16 credits this fall and 15 next spring with the MCAT in April '05. I'll probably throw my name in the hat for the 2005-2006 cycle, but that may change depending on the feedback I get and how well I do this coming year and on the MCAT.

scota said:
Hmm. I am 21. I'm starting SFSU post bac this fall. I have a 3.55 community college GPA (2 c's, 3 w's) and a 3.5 UCLA gpa (2 c's, 1 less than C grade, 2 w's).

Scota: Why are you on this thread, you poser? You're gpa is clearly far better than everyone else's. Are you posting just for kicks? So you can feel better about yourself? You wish you were as cool as the rest of us.

I'm MAAAAAAD!! :mad: Next person who posts with a poser gpa gets a beatdown. Who's with me?

Benelswick: when did you attend UF? I thought about dropping out too after a semester where I flunked 15 credits!!! I was unaware that you could withdraw without having those F's on your record, but I'm looking into petitioning to have a retroactive withdrawal placed on my record. Probably wont happen...

Anyway, after a summer spent 'soul-searching' (thats what I called it, but really I was just traveling around the southwest, sleeping in the back of my 4Runner) I decided to return and force myself to finish my degree. Dont know what department you were it, but the Computer Science department was terrible--I didnt realize it at the time, thought I was getting a great education, but having attended grad school elsewhere and post-bacc even elsewhere'er, I realize that many of the CompSci professors were just terrible. When I was there, there was a lot of buzz in the Alligator about the dean of the Med school quitting and the students and faculty being dissatisfied with the department. Dont know if its changed...

Heres a links to some articles about the school:
UF COM Links at Alligator.org

And one article in particular:

Dean of medical school resigns
By Rachel Harman
Alligator Staff Writer

After a scathing survey criticizing five top UF Health Science Center officials, the dean of the College of Medicine announced his resignation Wednesday.

Faculty and staff members gave Dr. Allen Neims a vote of no confidence for his fiscal leadership, however, Neims said the survey was not the main reason for his resignation.

"The faculty really didn't make the decision," Neims said. "What it did was crystallize it.

"The timing is very good for the college and for me (to resign). I would be foolish, and not true, to say that it didn't affect me," he said.

Neims also will resign from his position as UF Health Science Center associate vice president for clinical affairs.

Neims said the survey showed him that, as a dean, he lost the ability to lead the faculty.

"What a dean has to do, especially if you have the power that I do in some of the circles, is represent the faculty.

"So when I speak it is implicit that I am able to be an advocate for (my) college because (I) am carrying the weight of the faculty."

Neims' resignation, effective no later than Aug. 25, comes after seven years as dean. He said he wants to concentrate more on teaching and research.

One of the reasons Neims was criticized so harshly was because of the budget crisis plaguing the school. The $250 million budget is expected to be cut by as much as $9.4 million and 43 people, including two faculty members, will lose their jobs.

Neims, along with Dr. David Challoner, UF Health Affairs vice president; Dr. Warren Ross, UF Health Systems chief executive; Dr. Jerome Modell, executive associate dean; and Dr. Byron Masterson, Faculty Group Practice chief executive, received the vote of no confidence last week.

UF President John Lombardi said he did not believe Neims would resign because of the survey, but it was not a shock.

"It's not a real big surprise," Lombardi said. "He's been here seven years and he's done an extraordinary job.

"The survey is a symptom of the kind of challenges all health science and medicine face," he said. "It may have well helped to persuade him."

During Neims' tenure at UF, he was instrumental in creating the UF Brain Institute and helping with gene therapy for brain tumors and cystic fibrosis.

The resignation is upsetting for some health science officials, Challoner said.

"It is most unfortunate (because) he was the most successful dean in developing the teaching and research of the College of Medicine," he said.

Lombardi agreed, saying Neims has been a valuable part of the college.

"He has made some tremendous efforts to help the college (with a) balanced, structured budget."

But above all, Neims said he wants the students to know they will receive quality education.

"We have, and will continue, to place extremely high priority on the educational programs. (Students) should feel a very high sense of stability."

An interim dean will be appointed some time in the next few weeks, and then a national search will be conducted.

junebuguf said:
PS Lest I draw the ire of the SDN moderator, j/k. Though I won't rule out the possibility of cyberassment.
Moohahahahaha. :smuggrin:

(I may not post often, but I do lurk. :D )

Okay, I will join in
2.67-UNC undergrad, my BCPM is even worse.
Did really well my last two semesters, but I have a grip of C's and a handful of D's.(chronic illness and immaturity)
SFSU-postbacc~3.3-working 30+hours a week
MCAT (w/1 month studying and no O-chem or physics)-26T 12V, 7P, 7B
Retook this April-fingers crossed for better score!
-Working as RA at biotech company for the past 2 and half years.
-painter, construction worker, demolition work
-slicer of meats at a deli
-worked at group home for 2 years
-worked in US sweatshop-packaging bathrobes (the ones that the fancy hotels give out for free)
-volunteer for free clinic and women's prison organization

I am going to apply for 2005 if my MCAT scores are better!

I wish everyone the best of luck, and just think that our low GPA's actually make us more well rounded. We were off experiencing life instead of studying :D

Sorry junebuguf. But you don't have to get defensive!!! I did horribly in some classes most people would find easy. In addition to that, I was a sociology major! So my GPA doesn't really mean all that much...

And what the hell is a poser???

Scota: I was just kidding dude. I would venture that half the people here (including myself) would give an arm and a leg to have your gpa. So I guess theres a bit of jealously there.

Check that, if I gave my own arm and leg I would not be physically fit to practice medicine. I would, then, proffer the appendages of my unborn.

It'll work out...

glad to find others -
2.83 undergrad from UVA (biochemistry) BCMP ~2.8
4.0 graduate certificate in anatomy VCU/MCV
August 2002 MCAT 32S

On my way to recovery.

scota said:
Sorry junebuguf. But you don't have to get defensive!!! I did horribly in some classes most people would find easy. In addition to that, I was a sociology major! So my GPA doesn't really mean all that much...

And what the hell is a poser???

poser, n. (PO-zer): one who pretends or purports to be something he or she is not; a term which gained popularity during the 1980s and the growth of the Valley Girl/Surfer characters espoused in such movies as Valley Girl (Nicholas Cage), Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Sean Penn), and in the dude-like Canadians Bob and Doug McKenzie (see SCTV and various movies).

Junebug-

I went to UF from 92-95. I just left after the spring semester. Good luck with getting your transcript cleaned up. My experience with that type of thing is you just have to talk to or know the right people....but I suppose the goes with anythig in life.--Ben

Well I helped suggest the start of this new thread and then I never posted in it...so here goes....

BSc in Biology from Southwestern University
Chem Minor
GPA - 2.88
Science GPA - Not sure...something like 2.6
MCAT '01 - 22 (don't remember essay score, but probably not worth remembering! lol)

Since I graduated in '02, I have worked for a year at the Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research and then as a Software Developer for illustro Systems. I left the job at SFBR because it was mainly just busy work and not what I wanted to do which was get acquainted with biomedical research!

I applied to and was accepted into a MSc in Bioinformatics program at the University of Glasgow in Glasgow, Scotland.....but due to a 4 year relationship that I am MORE THAN reluctant to leave behind AND due to my newfound drive to attend medical school, I am looking at my options....

More than anything, I am unsure as to how to approach this whole process and what I should do to improve my situation. But all I do know is that I have a drive in me that I have not had for a while! The last couple nights I have been studying MCAT books! lol....

Glad I found these forums, as they have already been a TREMENDOUS help with advice and I look forward to frequenting them more often!

Ok...I'm done :D