The **NEW & IMPROVED** official low gpa thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can't do anything about the past![/QUOTE]

Love this quote...it's really nice to see soo many people overcoming obstacles and bad grades and getting in..that's gives me alot of motivation..I was over here felling sorry for my gpa..~3.3..and thinking that I had no chance, but when I see post like this I get inspired.

Thanx,

Exigente :love:

you all are a drive bunch..I wish you all the best...

Members don't see this ad.

Graduated from a liberal arts college with a BA in Political Science.
GPA: 2.896
Science GPA: Don't even ask, lets just say I was very lazy during my sophmore year.

This fall I will be taking classes at the University of Maryland. Two classes are through their Science in the Evening program, which is specifically for people interested in applying to medical, vet, and dental schools. I am also taking one class during the day.

I think I am presonally addicted to SDN, now :)

exigente chica said:
Can't do anything about the past!

Love this quote...it's really nice to see soo many people overcoming obstacles and bad grades and getting in..that's gives me alot of motivation..I was over here felling sorry for my gpa..~3.3..and thinking that I had no chance, but when I see post like this I get inspired.

Thanx,

Exigente :love:

you all are a drive bunch..I wish you all the best...

Hey, if stepping over our mangled and exquisitely tortured souls makes you feel better, rock on!

Actually, I think we are the epitome of the maxim, appreciate what you have, because others have it far far worse. And really, thats fine with me. If you get inspiration from our stuggles, I for one am sincerely glad to help the community of fellow aspirants.

Members don't see this ad :)
OpenIntro said:
Well I helped suggest the start of this new thread and then I never posted in it...so here goes....

BSc in Biology from Southwestern University
Chem Minor
GPA - 2.88
Science GPA - Not sure...something like 2.6
MCAT '01 - 22 (don't remember essay score, but probably not worth remembering! lol)

Since I graduated in '02, I have worked for a year at the Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research and then as a Software Developer for illustro Systems. I left the job at SFBR because it was mainly just busy work and not what I wanted to do which was get acquainted with biomedical research!

I applied to and was accepted into a MSc in Bioinformatics program at the University of Glasgow in Glasgow, Scotland.....but due to a 4 year relationship that I am MORE THAN reluctant to leave behind AND due to my newfound drive to attend medical school, I am looking at my options....

More than anything, I am unsure as to how to approach this whole process and what I should do to improve my situation. But all I do know is that I have a drive in me that I have not had for a while! The last couple nights I have been studying MCAT books! lol....

Glad I found these forums, as they have already been a TREMENDOUS help with advice and I look forward to frequenting them more often!

Ok...I'm done :D

I'm a fellow pirate, too! I just wanted to encourage you to pursue your dream.

Myself. . .just graduated with a BA in Biology. . .3.0 GPA and a little lower sciGPA. I hope to take some classes to bring the uGPA and sciGPA up, fare decently on the MCAT, and simultaneously apply to med school and smp's for Fall 2006 entry.

This is a wonderful thread. When you want something bad enough, you work as hard as you can until you get it. I pray that ADCOMS will acknowledge our perseverance! Good luck everyone!

This must be the sister thread to the under 3.0 thread at the predental forum :D
Currently working about 14hrs 6 days a week :eek: taking a month off from school. Plan on finishing Physics over the summer and then on to Bio and Organic Chemistry :mad:

junebuguf said:
Benelswick: when did you attend UF? I thought about dropping out too after a semester where I flunked 15 credits!!! I was unaware that you could withdraw without having those F's on your record, but I'm looking into petitioning to have a retroactive withdrawal placed on my record. Probably wont happen...

Hey junebuguf, I am attending UF at the moment and due to the odd number of W's on my transcript (actually it is even) have grown quite familar with all aspects of the withdrawal process. The only way to get a retroactive drop is via Senate Petition, knowing people isn't going to do you much good unless you know the people on the committee or someone higher up, contrary to what was said earlier. Retroactive withdrawals are rather difficult as I am sure you know if you are at all familar with the process. Be prepared to have documentation out the wazoo and be ready for an interview (in the event that they ask as they sometimes do). No documentation? Be prepared to be denied. Never fails. In addition, you have to have all professors from those classes you are seeking withdrawals from sign off on your petition form as to whether or not they approve of you retroactivtely withdrawaling. The weight of whether or not they approve in the decision making process is contingent upon your particular circumstances. Can't get a hold of the professor any longer? Than you need the department head to sign off on it. If you have solid documentation (ex. Doc's Note; Letter from the Warden) then it is almost a sure thing you will get it approved. There are probably a few other things I am forgetting, but that is the bulk of it. Old news? Sorry that you had to read all of this to find that out. :oops:

DocKW said:
I'm a fellow pirate, too! I just wanted to encourage you to pursue your dream.

Myself. . .just graduated with a BA in Biology. . .3.0 GPA and a little lower sciGPA. I hope to take some classes to bring the uGPA and sciGPA up, fare decently on the MCAT, and simultaneously apply to med school and smp's for Fall 2006 entry.

This is a wonderful thread. When you want something bad enough, you work as hard as you can until you get it. I pray that ADCOMS will acknowledge our perseverance! Good luck everyone!

I consider myself a Buc! :) hehe....

Very cool! Didn't think I would run into another SU graduate here! So you graduated in '04? Did you get to have Dr. Villa for any of your classes? It was sad to see him leave, but I am still in contact with him for references and advice. He is always willing to lend some good advice!

Are you wanting to stay in Texas for Med School?

Are you going to enter a Post-Bacc program? Or just take some classes over? I think I may enter a program next year, but take Organic again this year so I can undo the damage that Dr. Guziec (aka Hitler) did to me! :laugh:

Oh yeah. . .I guess I am a buc, too, since I graduated in a even numbered year. . .that is how it works, right? I really never got that. . .lol.

Yes, just graduated. . .exactly a month ago this upcoming Tuesday. I was fortunate enough to have Dr. Villa for microbiology, and was very happy to see him at graduation (he was there when I went down the 'aisle of professors' at the end).

I think my best chances are here in TX, but I am going to go out on a limb and apply to some out of state schools, as well. The plan as of now is to take some classes (on my own). I would do a formal post-bac program, but I got a job doing clinical research, so I am just going to work and take courses in the evening, then apply for med schools and master level post-bac programs simultaneously for Fall 2006 entry (or maybe just post-bacs if I don't rock the MCAT. . .lol).

Yes, Guziec is the devil. . .I had a friend (chem major) that he failed her senior year. He told her she was .5 points away from passing (I guess he doesn't round up). She has to graduate in December. Can you believe that?

Well good luck!

You probably have heard this before, but I came from a public football university, overal gp 3.3, sci 2.7 maybe. MCAT 10 10 10. Applied once got one interview, not accepted. Realized the day the AMCAS application is due is not the best time to turn it in, I turned it in day 1 the following year, got 12 interviews, accepted at most, now in the Northeast as an M2. Personally I think its all about the timing...

I guess I shouldn't be happy about all these low gpa's but I am :D I"M NOT ALONE!!!!
I don't know how much worse it gets but here's mine.

Kean University (BAD BAD science dept) BS Bio & BA Psy Cum gpa 2.76
science I have no clue, but its should be about the same

Started in 1992 and just got my degrees. It's been 12 lousy years. Here is a good piece of advise for all that have not yet got their degrees: Do not add aother major if you gpa is already bad. Stupid me I started taking Bio courses, because I enjoyed them but never really cared on what grade I got, only 4 years ago when I got a job at a hospital (ER unit clerk) I realized I wanted to be a doctor! what an a$$ I was, at that point I had sooooooo many credits (over 150) it was pointless. Now all the sudden I was working hard on making good grades,but my gpa only mooved by fractions of a point :mad: . Well its done now, close that chapter and moove to a new one.

Last year I attended a summer program at the medical school I want to get in, and met a ton of people, including some of deans and the admissions com. people. Now i keep in touch w/ 2 of them. One of the docs told me all I had to do was take 4 graduated level couses, maybe some A&P (u/g) and get solid grades to proove myself, so that's what I'm doing. I was even comtemplating PA school (since its a Masters program) and kill 2 birds w/ 1 stone: improve my academic record and have a job in case I need one at the end of those 2 years. Well he told me there was absolutelly no need to get into "hell" and spend lots $$$$$ in order to prove myself to them. I'm 30y/o married to a supportive husband and 2 very active infants, so thats why the PA thing was a thought...just in case.
I can't tell you how much I have been thru, well I can but I won't go into to it now, too long :sleep:
Thanks for this thread, I'm right at home! :)

UC Davis Undergrade BS Human Development GPA ~ 2.7 in 2002

Not yet started pre-reqs. What does BCMP mean? Will likely do my own program at a JC...cost of eduction is way too high and local Universities will not grant me Financial Aid...sucks. I hope to stay in California, but I'll have to be STELLAR in my pre-req classes to do that.

I'm currently trying to overcome my GPA by doing the folling med related jobs:
  • clinical research asst.
  • emergency medicine research associate
  • nurse assistant

Also, a number of people have suggested that I pursue an NP or PA path instead. I'm not sure if this means they think I won't be able to get into medical school or because it is "easier" and shorter. Any thoughts on these career paths?

I greatly appreciate any advice anyone can offer me - any do's and don'ts or thing you would have done differently. Thanks for listening!!!

orangethings said:
You probably have heard this before, but I came from a public football university, overal gp 3.3, sci 2.7 maybe. MCAT 10 10 10. Applied once got one interview, not accepted. Realized the day the AMCAS application is due is not the best time to turn it in, I turned it in day 1 the following year, got 12 interviews, accepted at most, now in the Northeast as an M2. Personally I think its all about the timing...

Not to bust your chops, but how the heck did you get matriculated with a 2.7 science GPA and a 3.3 overall, a D.O .school? Because I'm thinking about Osteopathic Medicine myself.

vschow said:
UC Davis Undergrade BS Human Development GPA ~ 2.7 in 2002

Not yet started pre-reqs. What does BCMP mean? Will likely do my own program at a JC...cost of eduction is way too high and local Universities will not grant me Financial Aid...sucks. I hope to stay in California, but I'll have to be STELLAR in my pre-req classes to do that.

I'm currently trying to overcome my GPA by doing the folling med related jobs:
  • clinical research asst.
  • emergency medicine research associate
  • nurse assistant

Also, a number of people have suggested that I pursue an NP or PA path instead. I'm not sure if this means they think I won't be able to get into medical school or because it is "easier" and shorter. Any thoughts on these career paths?

I greatly appreciate any advice anyone can offer me - any do's and don'ts or thing you would have done differently. Thanks for listening!!!

I hear you on this. I'm a 30 y/o pre-med who works in an E.D. I hear all the time that I should go into nursing or n.p. or p.a. But I've observed alot about how the hierarchy of the medical structure plays out and suffice to say that I want to be as independent and responsible for my own work as possible. My mom is an n.p. and loves it, I'm not being critical of the field but I just think that if one is inclined towards the perfection of your craft and has the study skills to make it in med school, you're never going to be happy doing the bread and butter work ups while your supervising physician tkaes on the more interesting and challenging cases. Atleast I wouldn't be. for me its med school or bust. good luck--Ben.

P.S. How did you get hooked up with research in the E.D. That's sweet man I want to be an E.D. doc. any tips on how to get that gig?

Members don't see this ad :)
rpost3 said:
Not to bust your chops, but how the heck did you get matriculated with a 2.7 science GPA and a 3.3 overall, a D.O .school? Because I'm thinking about Osteopathic Medicine myself.

Thats a good question, because I think all (if not, most all) of even the DO schools require you to have a minimum science GPA of 2.75. It is a cutoff requirement that muat be met. maybe some schools don't have it, but almost all of them do, so make sure you all get above a 2.75 GPA, regardless of success stories.

Ebete said:
I guess I shouldn't be happy about all these low gpa's but I am :D I"M NOT ALONE!!!!
I don't know how much worse it gets but here's mine.

Kean University (BAD BAD science dept) BS Bio & BA Psy Cum gpa 2.76
science I have no clue, but its should be about the same

Started in 1992 and just got my degrees. It's been 12 lousy years. Here is a good piece of advise for all that have not yet got their degrees: Do not add aother major if you gpa is already bad. Stupid me I started taking Bio courses, because I enjoyed them but never really cared on what grade I got, only 4 years ago when I got a job at a hospital (ER unit clerk) I realized I wanted to be a doctor! what an a$$ I was, at that point I had sooooooo many credits (over 150) it was pointless. Now all the sudden I was working hard on making good grades,but my gpa only mooved by fractions of a point :mad: . Well its done now, close that chapter and moove to a new one.

Last year I attended a summer program at the medical school I want to get in, and met a ton of people, including some of deans and the admissions com. people. Now i keep in touch w/ 2 of them. One of the docs told me all I had to do was take 4 graduated level couses, maybe some A&P (u/g) and get solid grades to proove myself, so that's what I'm doing. I was even comtemplating PA school (since its a Masters program) and kill 2 birds w/ 1 stone: improve my academic record and have a job in case I need one at the end of those 2 years. Well he told me there was absolutelly no need to get into "hell" and spend lots $$$$$ in order to prove myself to them. I'm 30y/o married to a supportive husband and 2 very active infants, so thats why the PA thing was a thought...just in case.
I can't tell you how much I have been thru, well I can but I won't go into to it now, too long :sleep:
Thanks for this thread, I'm right at home! :)

To Ebete and anyone else that cares to comment,

I just read your post in the "low gpa thread". I was wondering, what med school puts on a summer program where you can get to meet members of the admissions committee and faculty? I ask only because I noticed you attended Kean College, which i believe is in NJ and happens to be relatively close by to where I live.

Unfortunately, I'm in a similar situation as most on this thread. I graduated in 1994 with a really lousy gpa, 2.8 overall and 2.7 science. I realized that trying to bump that up to 3.5 range would take about 200 additional credits - which is just not feasible. So, I enrolled in a Master's program (with thesis) in the hopes that I could demonstrate good grades in the hardcore sciences (I went pharmacology) at the graduate level. Well, now I've finished all the classes (3.87 gpa) and have just the thesis remaining. I've also published some research and have taken the Mcats 10,10,10 R.

But, now after reading many unencouraging posts on SDN (not this thread, of course :) ) and not to mention looking at the failed attemps of some scary high gpa's/mcats on mdapplicants.com, i'm thinking I'll never get past the initial application screening because my ugpa is just too damn low! Is my master's degree really worthless for helping me get into med school? Do I have to go and spend 40K $ on a post-bacc to demonstrate my abilities even more? At my age, that extra 40-50K for a post bacc on top of med school would be near financial suicide.

Ebete, it sounded like whoever you spoke with at the med school was really positive about the whole thing. And I was just curious where that med school was - as that would be the place where I might stand the best chance of at least getting noticed.

medic170 said:
Thats a good question, because I think all (if not, most all) of even the DO schools require you to have a minimum science GPA of 2.75. It is a cutoff requirement that muat be met. maybe some schools don't have it, but almost all of them do, so make sure you all get above a 2.75 GPA, regardless of success stories.

Are you talking about DO schools and MD schools. I have never heard of any minimum science GPA for any medical school, unless you are applying to a state school as a non-resident. Could you site your sources?
thanks

Mr. Z,

I'm not on any admissions committee, but you sound like an excellent candidate. I would think you would get several interviews at middle-low tier schools, and maybe at some upper tier schools, and I wouldn't be surprised if you got several acceptances. Have you spoken to adcoms? A low GPA is not the end of the world (c.f. discussion regarding that very topic: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=126896).

I would not get so despondent if I were you. I think you have a great shot at getting in.

bugger said:
Are you talking about DO schools and MD schools. I have never heard of any minimum science GPA for any medical school, unless you are applying to a state school as a non-resident. Could you site your sources?
thanks

Um, ok. According to AACOMAS and the Schools themselves, the following schools require "Minimum science and total GPA of 2.75"

See http://www.aacom.org/colleges/

AZCOM
CCOM
LECOM
MSUCOM
NYCOM
OSUCOM
UMDNJ
UNECOM
KCOM (may be 2.5)

Those are the ones I know off the top of my head, the rest of the DO schools may or may not have a cut off, and I am sure that many of the M.D. schools have similiar cutoffs, but there are far too many of them, and I think I have spent enough time citing sources. You can look the rest up for yourself. I am not trying to rain on anybody's parade, I have a low GPA myself. However, if you are below 2.7, you are going to have to bring it up before these schools will look at you, no matter how stellar the rest of your application is. I.m just pointing it out for those who don't know so they can do what they need to do to have a shot.

Singing Devil said:
Mr. Z,

I'm not on any admissions committee, but you sound like an excellent candidate. I would think you would get several interviews at middle-low tier schools, and maybe at some upper tier schools, and I wouldn't be surprised if you got several acceptances. Have you spoken to adcoms? A low GPA is not the end of the world (c.f. discussion regarding that very topic: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=126896).

I would not get so despondent if I were you. I think you have a great shot at getting in.

Singing Devil, Thanks for the vote of confidence.

To answer your question, No, I haven't spoken to any Adcoms. But, I have been visiting quite a few med school websites and noticed many of them have a gpa/science gpa requirements of 2.75. For example, check out NYCOM's website NYCOM - they explicity say that you must have a 2.75 science gpa to be considered. Therefore, I'm assuming I would be screened out and nobody would ever get to see the improvements that I've made.

Another thing that worries me is that I think many Master's programs are not considered rigorous enough - which may or may not always be the case. In comparison, somebody coming out of the Drexel IMS or G'town programs with a good gpa has already demonstrated they can handle the rigors of med school. It's just my gut feeling, but, I would think adcoms would view this more favorably.

But, I do tend to over analyze things, so who really knows. I guess the only way to find out is to lay down my cards and play the game.

Mr. Z,
Not all good post-bac programs cost $40,000 a year. For example, I am doing the one at LECOM, it is one year long, and tuition is only $12,000 for the year. Look around some more, you may find something that suits you. There are several "Special Masters" programs as well.

In fact, you may not even have to do that with your masters in Pharmacology. At the worst, maybe you will need to take 1 or 2 post bacc classes in sciences to get that science gpa over the cutoff, but besides that, I think adcoms will look favorably at your masters program, pharm is science intensive and no cake walk degree from what I have heard. The ADCOMS just need to know that you can handle the sciences in med school. Your Masters shows that I would think. Best thing to do is contact each school directly, they are usually very helpful. Good Luck!

Mr. Z said:
Singing Devil, Thanks for the vote of confidence.

To answer your question, No, I haven't spoken to any Adcoms. But, I have been visiting quite a few med school websites and noticed many of them have a gpa/science gpa requirements of 2.75. For example, check out NYCOM's website NYCOM - they explicity say that you must have a 2.75 science gpa to be considered. Therefore, I'm assuming I would be screened out and nobody would ever get to see the improvements that I've made.

I'm really not familiar with DO programs. I was referring to allopathic programs. You're in Philly. Call up MCP-Hahnemann (or is it Drexel now?), or better yet make an appt. and meet the dean of admissions. If they don't think you're quality, they'll tell you. I think they'd look at you seriously, but if you need to do the special master's thing or redo some undergrad courses, they'll let you know. In fact, I'd make an appt. with every director of admissions in the Philly area, including PCOM, and see what they think of you. That is by far and away the best way to determine your proper plan of attack.

medic170 said:
Um, ok. According to AACOMAS and the Schools themselves, the following schools require "Minimum science and total GPA of 2.75"

See http://www.aacom.org/colleges/

AZCOM
CCOM
LECOM
MSUCOM
NYCOM
OSUCOM
UMDNJ
UNECOM
KCOM (may be 2.5)

Those are the ones I know off the top of my head, the rest of the DO schools may or may not have a cut off, and I am sure that many of the M.D. schools have similiar cutoffs, but there are far too many of them, and I think I have spent enough time citing sources. You can look the rest up for yourself. I am not trying to rain on anybody's parade, I have a low GPA myself. However, if you are below 2.7, you are going to have to bring it up before these schools will look at you, no matter how stellar the rest of your application is. I.m just pointing it out for those who don't know so they can do what they need to do to have a shot.

thanks for the info. I have never looked into osteopathic schools, and only know info about allopathic institutions. I did a summer progam at an MD school and talked to admission folks, and they never mentioned a stringent GPA cutoff. To date, the only strict cutoff GPA's I have found at allopathic schools relate to out-of-state applicants!
And yes, everybody shoud do what they can to raise their GPA. :thumbup:

Love the fact that I can delete the F's in my retaken classes and replace them with A's on the AACOMAS!
Where could I verify that? Do you mean that the F's do not count in your AMCAS gpa if you retook the class?

ArinaD said:
Where could I verify that? Do you mean that the F's do not count in your AMCAS gpa if you retook the class?

It counts in your AMCAS, but doesn't if you are applying through the DO application system.

i just graduated undergrad (columbia univ school of engineering) with a depressing ~3.4 gpa (bachelor of science in Computer Science) :( :( :(

i am waiting to hear from columbia univ's post-bacc premed program.

maybe if i miraculously get a 4.0 gpa in postbacc and an incredible mcat score, i'll get into 1 of like 40 med schools that i will eventually apply to.

am i being negative? or realistic? sigh. :confused:

jeanslee said:
i just graduated undergrad (columbia univ school of engineering) with a depressing ~3.4 gpa (bachelor of science in Computer Science) :( :( :(

i am waiting to hear from columbia univ's post-bacc premed program.

maybe if i miraculously get a 4.0 gpa in postbacc and an incredible mcat score, i'll get into 1 of like 40 med schools that i will eventually apply to.

am i being negative? or realistic? sigh. :confused:

If you're mocking people on this thread... please don't. Some of us have been spending years trying to get our GPAs to respectable levels, and it ain't funny.

If you're serious, please get your head examined, because a 3.4 GPA being low is like 120/80 being high blood pressure, <200 being high cholesterol, and 70 bpm being a rapid heartbeat.

Singing Devil said:
If you're mocking people on this thread... please don't. Some of us have been spending years trying to get our GPAs to respectable levels, and it ain't funny.

If you're serious, please get your head examined, because a 3.4 GPA being low is like 120/80 being high blood pressure, <200 being high cholesterol, and 70 bpm being a rapid heartbeat.
My thoughts exactly

i'm being dead-on serious. i was perfectly happy with a 3.4 gpa, until people (including admissions officers) suggested it was too low to apply to med schools (hence the term "depressing"). i never thought 3.4 was bad until 5+ people started telling me so. thats why i was asking people on this thread for their opinions as well. :(

jeanslee said:
i'm being dead-on serious. i was perfectly happy with a 3.4 gpa, until people (including admissions officers) suggested it was too low to apply to med schools (hence the term "depressing"). i never thought 3.4 was bad until 5+ people started telling me so. thats why i was asking people on this thread for their opinions as well. :(

I'd like to know which school's admissions officers told you "that is too low to apply to medical school"?

Here's my sad little Cinderella story:
Harvard
Freshman 2.2
Sophomore 2.3
Junior 2.2
...Required to withdraw because I chose to attend the first class and finals (nothing in between) for a semester = 4 Fs.
...Got act together (mostly, quit drinking), and they let me back in.
Senior 3.7

VCU
50 Credit Post-Bacc 4.0

Overall 2.9
Science 3.4

April 2004 MCAT 39Q (sweet, eh? oughta help!)

I'm applying this cycle to ~25 schools, mostly lower tier but some middle and top because they might think my story is interesting. Wish me luck, and good luck to all of you. All premeds work pretty hard to achieve their goals, but we're certainly among the hardest working, with a lot to lose if we fail.

medic170 said:
I'd like to know which school's admissions officers told you "that is too low to apply to medical school"?

when i was a junior (undergrad), and went to the post-bacc premed admissions officers or advisors, TWO to be exact, (here at columbia) said 3.4 was too "low" for medical school.

am i crazy? or are they? :scared:

jeanslee said:
when i was a junior (undergrad), and went to the post-bacc premed admissions officers or advisors, TWO to be exact, (here at columbia) said 3.4 was too "low" for medical school.

am i crazy? or are they? :scared:
They are

Just wanted to give you all an update of my plans... Maybe someone could still have the opportunity to do the same thing.

I petitioned to stay as a fifth year senior (supposedly to finish a Spanish BA). So I will take 3 GE courses (2 History/1 Art) at a local community college and 1 Spanish over the Summer, as well as study intensively for the MCAT. In the Fall/Winter/Spring I will take 3 Upper Division Biology Courses and 1 Spanish (every quarter). Hopefully I will be able to get all As, retake the MCAT in April and reapply June 2005.

This quarter I got good grades: A, A- and A- in 2 Upper Division Bio and 1 English. I'm pretty excited and confident that I can/will do well. My Science GPA went from a 2.43 to a 2.54 with these three As.

We can all do it, we just have to work very hard, learn how to study effectivey and stick to a routine in order to succeed in every course. The reason I wanted to stay as a fifth year and not graduate (and take the upper division bio through the extension program) is becasue I saved about $10,000 that I would have paid for tuition, plus books. Now I'm hopefully getting financial aid and some loans, but no huge debts!

Good luck to all.

:)

liverotcod said:
Here's my sad little Cinderella story:
Harvard
Freshman 2.2
Sophomore 2.3
Junior 2.2
...Required to withdraw because I chose to attend the first class and finals (nothing in between) for a semester = 4 Fs.
...Got act together (mostly, quit drinking), and they let me back in.
Senior 3.7

VCU
50 Credit Post-Bacc 4.0

Overall 2.9
Science 3.4

April 2004 MCAT 39Q (sweet, eh? oughta help!)

I'm applying this cycle to ~25 schools, mostly lower tier but some middle and top because they might think my story is interesting. Wish me luck, and good luck to all of you. All premeds work pretty hard to achieve their goals, but we're certainly among the hardest working, with a lot to lose if we fail.

Hey liverotcod,

That's a big turnaround! It looks like your on your way! I'm trying to get into a post-bacc program. But I havent decided yet. How are the admissions for VCU post-bacc? Did they ask you any questions regarding your earlier years in undergrad? Unfortunately, I live in Delaware and we dont have any medical schools and none of the colleges offer formal post-bacc programs.

ap7dgs said:
Hey liverotcod,

That's a big turnaround! It looks like your on your way! I'm trying to get into a post-bacc program. But I havent decided yet. How are the admissions for VCU post-bacc? Did they ask you any questions regarding your earlier years in undergrad? Unfortunately, I live in Delaware and we dont have any medical schools and none of the colleges offer formal post-bacc programs.

I'm not in the formal post-bacc program at the med school, but rather I just finished all the pre-reqs (and then some) at the college. But I think the formal program requires a 2.8 GPA and 22 MCAT. Their web site is here. Because I'm supporting a family, there's really no way I can afford/justify a formal program on top of med school.

I feel like Im proof that a low undergrad gpa doesn't mean squat in terms of med school performance.

Brandeis 2.39 gpa, science ~1.9?
med school pre-reqs at UTD - 3.3

Ross - 3.8 after 1.5 years. Earning my 1st 4.0 ever too.

Sometimes it just takes a hard slap in our behind to get ourselves going the right way. It took time to learn how to study well instead of just studying (ie putting the time in, but not really using that time well and not seeing any results).

don't give up people. One way or another, its possible.

Another story, met a friend of a friend. He's starting his orthopedic surgery residency this summer. He had a similar gpa to mine (dont know where from). Finally got into a med school at 30. He's 34 now.

lmbebo said:
I feel like Im proof that a low undergrad gpa doesn't mean squat in terms of med school performance.

Brandeis 2.39 gpa, science ~1.9?
med school pre-reqs at UTD - 3.3

Ross - 3.8 after 1.5 years. Earning my 1st 4.0 ever too.

Sometimes it just takes a hard slap in our behind to get ourselves going the right way. It took time to learn how to study well instead of just studying (ie putting the time in, but not really using that time well and not seeing any results).

don't give up people. One way or another, its possible.

Another story, met a friend of a friend. He's starting his orthopedic surgery residency this summer. He had a similar gpa to mine (dont know where from). Finally got into a med school at 30. He's 34 now.

Imbedo,
which year did you graduate Brandeis?
I graduated from Brandeis in 1997. I have also have a weak GPA.
Taking prereqs at UMass-Boston.

liverotcod, that is awesome... congratulations! I'm sure you'll get several acceptances.

I talked to someone today at BU who feels very confident I'll be accepted at BU Med. Now I'm looking higher, and I'll even be applying to Harvard, Duke, Penn, Stanford, and Yale.

Singing Devil said:
liverotcod, that is awesome... congratulations! I'm sure you'll get several acceptances.

I talked to someone today at BU who feels very confident I'll be accepted at BU Med. Now I'm looking higher, and I'll even be applying to Harvard, Duke, Penn, Stanford, and Yale.

Awwww... I bet you say that to all the boys. Thanks, though. I'm told the ancient Reagan-era grades will be heavily discounted, and that's what I'm counting on. Clearly, in your case, your work experience, masters program and awesome MCAT will present plenty of evidence of academic promise.

Im a Sophmore

Bio 111: B-
Bio 112: C
Calc: B
Chem: B

not so good since I want to go to MUSC in about 3 years... :cool:

Hi
my daughter wants to go to Cornell Med. She is at Cornell University now starting her senior year in BioChem. Her MCAT is 28 and her GPA is 2.8. What should she do?
I want her to take a post-bac program. Which one does Cornell Med respect?
She has done a lot of research. She wants to keep doing that, but that won't help her GPA?

Pixie

Pixie said:
Hi
my daughter wants to go to Cornell Med. She is at Cornell University now starting her senior year in BioChem. Her MCAT is 28 and her GPA is 2.8. What should she do?
She has done a lot of research. She wants to keep doing that, but that won't help her GPA?

Pixie

I would recommend two things. First of all, a postbacc is an excellent idea. There are several discussed on these boards (BU, Georgetown, Drexel, Loyola). I would suggest a postbacc that offers a Masters, since her science major will mean she can't add a lot of science classes at the undergrad level. Secondly, if she really wants to attend Cornell, have her talk to the dean of admissions (or asst. dean or whoever you can get) about what she needs to do to make her a competitive applicant for Cornell. Bring the GPA, MCAT, etc.

I might add that I appreciate your efforts on your daughter's behalf, but I always worry when a parent is doing part of the work for the child's medical education pursuit. Medical schools are notorious for frowning on parental involvement with application process (it implies that the child is being pressured into medical school by the parent), so if possible, I would encourage your daughter to register for sdn and do a lot of the research on her own. Please don't take that as an indictment, just as a word of caution (instilled in me by several pre-med admissions counselors).

How do Mstp programs view post-bac programs? Any ideas/ Thanks

Pixie

Pixie said:
How do Mstp programs view post-bac programs? Any ideas/ Thanks

Pixie

I am sure it varies from school to school. BU's post-bacc masters program (see separate thread with copious information) offers the opportunity to do a postbacc with a research thesis that would prepare someone well for a MST career, and I know several people at the program who are using it for that purpose.

This should give hope to some, i hope.

Dropped out of H.S. @ 17yo to pursue a glorious career in plumbing, returned the following year to finish at night, then onto night classes @ Suffolk County Community College. 3yrs later transferred to SUNY Albany 2.5yrs later got me a B.S. in bio (12/ 2000).Back to plumbing for a bit, the following fall onto BUSM GMS program, on 8/2003 gots me a M.A. in med sci. Currently a 28yo MS1 going on MS2 @BUSM.

I basically got turned away by my undergrad premed advisor, first and last time I saw her I was told "with those grades there's no way, not osteopathic and definitely not allopathic, here are some pamphlets w/ info on PA programs... good luck .". zero research, around 40 hrs volunteering in ED, not so hot on interviews, not horrible, but they could have gone smoother.
Applied to 8, 1 waitlist then acceptance.

SCCC 2.9
SUNY A 2.87
Cum undergrad 2.93
BCPM 2.98
BUSM GMS 3.6
MCAT 10V 12P 13B M (8/2001)
BUSM MD straight P's

Pixie said:
Hi

Pixie

if she really wanted to goto cornell, she would have found out whats best for her, not you, her parent. with that said, look into the cornell qatar program...im not sure if its spelled that way but its a medical school that cornell setup in the middle east that gives you a MD from Cornell but like i said, its based in the middle east.

Hello 2.6 gpa overall
2.4 Science
1.3 Freshman year Scholastic probation, but after 10 years of working + school I got a B.A. with a damn nigh 3.0 gpa. I'm planning to go down to AU of G late Aug and sit in on some classes before I apply.

I might as well add in to the collection:

UG 2.5(ish) graduated BA Environmental Tech. '02
Bio B & CR General Physics B- no chem.... Geeze my UG was not that great.
Masters of Information Technology GPA 3.75 <-- Obviously no sci needed here. '04

Worked 2 years with a Physical Therapist (loved that job) and several years in computers <only because computers was a hobby>. Although nothing pleased me more than to help people back to health.

Now I am 25 working full time (well I have always worked full time since '98) and I finally want to make that move towards a medical degree. I guess I felt that I needed that time to think what I really wanted to do with my life/career.

Living single and on my own will make it tough; going to work full time and school <hopefully fulltime but moset likely parttime> considering the long road ahead. I may not have a wife, kids, a house, etc... but I find it a rough spot to be in at this point in life. BUT I AM NOT GIG TO GIVE UP!

I graduated in 1999 with a 2.4 gpa. What a waste of money!!! I'm planning on taking courses at Harvard Extension in the fall. I need to take all the pre-req's, may even need to get a second bachelor's!! Anyone here taking classes at HES? How was it?

If you seacrh the forum, a couple of months back, there was a Harvard Extension thread with many posts and very valuable info that may help you.