The **NEW & IMPROVED** official low gpa thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all,

Hope you are having a great evening, or morning depending on when this is seen. No I'm not going to die sorry for the misleading title.

I am a recent graduate somewhat, graduated Winter quarter of 2012 from UC Davis.

I have a 3.3 GPA there, with a upward trend, went from 2.9 first quarter transfer and progressed up each quarter my senior year my average was 3.6~.

I transferred from a community college where I had a 3.4 GPA however I got B/C respectively fall and spring semester in both general bio and chemistry.

I have a lot of volunteering experience over 200 hours, letters of rec from professors from schools, and will be applying as under represented minority.

Since graduation I have worked as a research assistant with Genentech and currently work as a clinical researcher at UCSF.

My biggest question is in terms of post bacc, would you recommend going with a masters post bacc program? Should I apply to the UC program post-bacc? Any help would be great.

I am taking my MCAT in April, I have started applications on many schools and have contacted the programs and they said they will review my application but no final decision until the MCAT comes in.

I know this gets asked 100+ times on this site but any help would be great. Thank you and have a great weekend.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Hope you are having a great evening, or morning depending on when this is seen. No I'm not going to die sorry for the misleading title.

I am a recent graduate somewhat, graduated Winter quarter of 2012 from UC Davis.

I have a 3.3 GPA there, with a upward trend, went from 2.9 first quarter transfer and progressed up each quarter my senior year my average was 3.6~.

I transferred from a community college where I had a 3.4 GPA however I got B/C respectively fall and spring semester in both general bio and chemistry.

I have a lot of volunteering experience over 200 hours, letters of rec from professors from schools, and will be applying as under represented minority.

Since graduation I have worked as a research assistant with Genentech and currently work as a clinical researcher at UCSF.

My biggest question is in terms of post bacc, would you recommend going with a masters post bacc program? Should I apply to the UC program post-bacc? Any help would be great.

I am taking my MCAT in April, I have started applications on many schools and have contacted the programs and they said they will review my application but no final decision until the MCAT comes in.

I know this gets asked 100+ times on this site but any help would be great. Thank you and have a great weekend.

Smoke your MCAT and apply to the URM-centered programs with actual linkage.

My OP is as follows:
First post, but I wanted to say that this thread gives me so much hope haha.
I am still a senior undergrad-- bit of a weird situation. Started off with the wide-eyed pre-med thing at my old school-- quickly learned that I wasn't cut out for it (and the university too, I guess) and went through a sort of nervous breakdown. Dropped the premed, continued on with just being a Psychology major till I realized I hated my school, wanted to transfer out, and stopped giving a crap about grades (leading to my dangerously low cumulative GPA and worst idea EVEr) until I transferred schools.

Now, I go to a school that I LOVE in Chicago with a pretty decent reputation as a Psychology major-- since the other grades don't count my current school GPA is like 3.875. I wasn't thinking of going back to pre-med-- but after noticing my school sparked a partnership (even though I knew I wouldn't be able to take advantage of it, as the programs start after I graduate), there was that spark and burn within me that was just like "Yeah, eff... I gotta get into medicine anyway I can..." So, I'm back on the drawing board, and trying to go to postbacc after I keep the steady trend of my grades (I will be able to graduate summa cum laude since my school starts fresh when you transfer!) But if we're talking AMCAS cGPA... right now it's at a 2.8/2.9, which bums me out. Calculated it if I get A's/A-'s for the rest of the year until I graduate and I barely hit 3.0 cGPA. My sGPA is terrible (it's like a 2...) -- which is why I'm aiming to get into a post-bacc program.

With grade replacement in AACOMAS, my cGPA would be much higher-- if I average both my 1st school + 2nd school grades (with grade replacement), my cGPA is realistically around a 3.3/3.4, with all A's it will get me to ~3.5.

Any advice? Is going postbac a good idea? Would it be better to take a year or two off, get some life experience and then apply post bac? Or do informal DIY postbac? Either way, I didn't finish all my science requirements (I only took 1 yr bio and 1 sem of gen chem) so I'd have to do prereqs somehow...
Would love some advice/words of wisdom! Thanks everyone! :)

But I will say... after the post-bacc admissions process, I've spent a lot of time recalculating my grades and I guess I should start off with this:
I'm a Psychology major.
My ACTUAL cGPA right now (with my old school and new school) is probably around the ~3.5/3.6 area. My sGPA is at a 2.71, which isn't as bad as I had originally anticipated (I definitely thought it was somewhere around the 2.0 mark) but still, not feasibly realistic at ALL for medicine. Needless to say, my new school GPA (which disregards old transcripts, etc and starts fresh) is 3.89, and there is a huge chance (unless I royally **** up this quarter) that I will be graduating summa cum laude at my new school. Since posting the original post in the old forum- I have added and removed some EC's.

I have a research internship through an internal lab here at my university-- it's an interdisciplinary lab that is based in the nursing school, but involves Psychology and Mental Health. I interview mental health patients and code their interviews.
I also volunteer at a pretty prestigous hospital in the area as a clinical research assistant.
On the other hand, the majority of my volunteeer work also is tutoring at a local non-profit, and every other year I go to my parents' home country and volunteer on a medical mission, coordinating the non-medical programs we run there.

I'm debating whether or not to pursue the post-bacc option, or have a DIY option at home but am looking for some advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another longtime lurker popping in for some advice!

My question= Will a D in one semester of a prerequisite course completely ruin my chances of gaining acceptance into an MD program without doing a post-bacc?

Details= So I graduated as a Bio major last summer with a 3.24 cGPA (school's site doesn't show my sGPA for some reason and not in the mood to calculate it atm.)
My transcript documents a pretty notable upward trend: I have mostly Bs (then one C and one D : both in freshman bios) in the prereq classes I took first and second year, and mostly As and A-s in my upper division science courses.

Trust me, I know the C and the D are far from ideal in any case, but I've read enough "upward trend success stories" to think the adcoms might acknowledge the ~growth and maturity~ that occurred during my undergrad years and recognize the sort of work ethic it took to bring my GPA up from the 2.7 it once was. However, I've read a few other forums that say med schools won't even accept anything lower than a C as meeting the requirements, in which case I'm not even eligible to apply because of that D.

I consulted my pre-health advisor prior to graduating and though she recommended the post-bacc, she told me that based on my GPA alone, it wouldn't be impossible to gain admission to some schools straight away (especially as an URM with unique, compelling ECs, good rec letters, and the upward trend). Basically, I'd like some more input. I live on a budget, so if I can save my money and avoid the post-bacc route, I'd prefer it, but I also don't want to foolishly spend thousands on my med school apps only to be unsuccessful because of that unresolved D.

:)

Generally you can't have below a C in a prereq. Pick some med schools and look at their admissions FAQs.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all. I have been determined for med school as long as I can remember. I do have personal circumstances and an extensive resume with experiences. However my cumulative GPA is a 3.195 and a science GPA of 3.039. I plan to retake my C- in Orgo II when I graduate this May. I also plan to do Post-bacc at a public university near my home. This would be just be two upper level bio courses as the Orgo II would be retaken as a summer class. I got a B+ in Biochem which I hoped would look better than my Orgo grade. The only C's I received were a C- in Orgo II, C in Orgo, and C+ in Ecology. I am upset but whats done is done.

So what I am asking is would you guys consider this as a decent means of approach for my gap year as I would apply for the next cycle not this coming cycle in June. I am taking prep for the MCAT and I intend to take it by May-June latest, and I have my letters, and application written already waiting for whenever I apply. So I would have my letters, MCAT scores (hoping for a good 33+ on my first try I'm usually great when it comes to standardized exams but I want to give myself an extra test date this year in case). If I do all this as well take into consideration would I have a shot at osteopathic medicine as I am being very realistic in the sense that I do not have a shot at medical schools. I love the philosophies of DO schools and I do not consider much differences between the two. If someone could provide some advice for my situation, I would greatly appreciate it. I am more than happy to provide anything via PM including resume or a backstory if it is needed. I spoke with my Dean and others but I hope someone can shed some light and provide some advice here as well. Many thanks in advance everyone.

-

I'd like to get some input as to which programs would be right for me. I'm currently in the middle of application cycle for DO schools but I'm not hopeful that I'm going to get in. Only got 2 interviews so far. Rejected post at KCOM and currently on waitlist at LECOM. Pre interview waitlist at a few more. I'm wondering which programs would be right for me if I want to start medical school in Fall 2015. So I just have a few questions. Here are my stats:

-Illinois resident
-3.15 GPA
-30 MCAT
-Lots of local volunteering in undergrad as well as medical mission trip to South America
-100 hrs DO shadow, 50 hours MD shadow
-Working as a full time research assistant since June. First author on my abstract and second author on 3 more. Will be presenting my abstract at a conference. I will also have my name on a grant and a paper.
-Good LORs

1. Would it be best for me to just do an SMP with a strong linkage, such as RFU? I know a lot of them require very high stats, such as UC.

2. If I get in to RFU BMS (or other SMP) and do very well, would it be worth it for me to apply to other allopathic schools next cycle to start in Fall 2015? Do people update their grades to schools as their year goes on at their SMP? I wouldn't have a shot as I stand right now to get into an allopathic school. I will also be applying to a few of the top osteopathic schools again that I wasn't able to get into, such as Midwestern.

3. If I go to something like a post bacc, would that probably mean that I would have to wait until the 2015-2016 cycle to apply?

I'm just looking for any and all advice. I want to start school again somewhere this fall and begin this journey.

Thanks for your help in advance

Hello I am looking for some help, here are my stats to help guide the advice.

Graduating this May with a BS in Exercise Science.
BCP GPA - 2.78
Science GPA - 2.95
Non- Science GPA - 3.54
Total GPA - 3.12
(ADEA AADSAS calculated)
Significant upward trend in my GPA since freshmen year.

and my DAT scores are...

Biology - 18
General Chem - 18
Orgo - 19
Math - 16
PAT - 21
RC - 18
AA - 18
TT - 18

For EC I have shadowing many aspects of dentistry about 300 hours, volunteer work about 100 hours, 1 year of research, good leadership roles, ER scribe for 1.5 years and 3 other different jobs in my past.

Here are some questions I have...

I am sure these are not good enough for admission (since I applied this cycle and have been rejected, not sure why I even bothered to apply :(). I was wondering what options I have out there. Should I do a post-bac or a SMP? What I have read is SMP is a better option for me.

Should I do more EC, if so what what are some unique things to do?

Should I retake DAT this summer and reapply again while hopefully being already admitted into a SMP?

Just need help out there :unsure:

Thoughts and advice,
Went to a Top 50 private school and did a physics major
cGPA: 3.3 and sGPA: 3.1
Haven't taken the MCAT yet but planning for the best and taking it at the end of may.
My trend is upwardish, but really just stayed around the 3.3 area for the most part. What happened was that I lost my confidence in my self and never got my "mojo" back.
EC: did clinical research got abstracted, and did a ton of clinical volunteering, including shadowing and working in a free clinic. Did some physic research but didn't go anywhere as I didn't find it interesting. Graduated in 2012 and currently working at a mental health program (related to medicine) and working as a TA at my university in my major.

Heard some really hopeful stories here and hopefully those who succeeded and those who know their stuff can help me out in what to do.

I was thinking about doing some SMP's but the money factor is scaring me and I really honestly am stuck on MD and not a DO school. Also, I feel like if I do do an SMP and I don't succeed, what could I do with a degree in that? Would it have ended up being a waste of money? My other thought was to go to engineering school, for something like biomedical engineering or medical field related so that it would help with medical school and if it didn't help me get in I would still have some thing to fall back on as a back up career. Other people have advised me to take classes at the local schools (undergrad) to boost up my sGPA instead of wasting money on masters especially if my end goal is medical school.

Just really confused and kind of wondering if I'm at a dead end right now (sentiment from a lot of people with low gpas) and should forego the fight for medical school. Thoughts and advice is really appreciated and thanks in advance to all the people who take the time out to answer questions and give out advice.

Thoughts and advice,
Went to a Top 50 private school and did a physics major
cGPA: 3.3 and sGPA: 3.1
Haven't taken the MCAT yet but planning for the best and taking it at the end of may.
My trend is upwardish, but really just stayed around the 3.3 area for the most part. What happened was that I lost my confidence in my self and never got my "mojo" back.
EC: did clinical research got abstracted, and did a ton of clinical volunteering, including shadowing and working in a free clinic. Did some physic research but didn't go anywhere as I didn't find it interesting. Graduated in 2012 and currently working at a mental health program (related to medicine) and working as a TA at my university in my major.

Heard some really hopeful stories here and hopefully those who succeeded and those who know their stuff can help me out in what to do.

I was thinking about doing some SMP's but the money factor is scaring me and I really honestly am stuck on MD and not a DO school. Also, I feel like if I do do an SMP and I don't succeed, what could I do with a degree in that? Would it have ended up being a waste of money? My other thought was to go to engineering school, for something like biomedical engineering or medical field related so that it would help with medical school and if it didn't help me get in I would still have some thing to fall back on as a back up career. Other people have advised me to take classes at the local schools (undergrad) to boost up my sGPA instead of wasting money on masters especially if my end goal is medical school.

Just really confused and kind of wondering if I'm at a dead end right now (sentiment from a lot of people with low gpas) and should forego the fight for medical school. Thoughts and advice is really appreciated and thanks in advance to all the people who take the time out to answer questions and give out advice.

Our stats/ECs are practically identical, although I was never a TA. I hated the last year of physics classes and bombed my way down to ~3.1 before doing post-bac work.

Most of the quality SMPs are going to run $40k-50k. The parent schools of SMPs with linkage (Cincy, RFU, Temple come to mind) are around the same price per year in tuition alone once you're in. Med school is an extremely expensive investment with or without an SMP, unfortunately, with no way around it. Other SMPs without official linkage (like Boston) may give you a better chance to matriculate into your state med school, which is hopefully much less expensive than a private school. These are important things to consider when choosing an SMP.

Also, any degree/certificate an SMP may grant you is useless. These programs are solely for getting weak GPA applicants into medical school. Whether you do another type of master's program is up to you and whatever your eventual career goals may be, but I don't see it being helpful for med school admissions. Others may disagree with me on that, though.

Finally, have you considered bumping up your MCAT test date? Late May is going to put you at a disadvantage for SMPs with rolling admissions and may result in a delay. I'm not saying take the test before you're ready, as a strong 30+ MCAT is essential, but maybe consider a mid-late April date if available.

Our stats/ECs are practically identical, although I was never a TA. I hated the last year of physics classes and bombed my way down to ~3.1 before doing post-bac work.

Most of the quality SMPs are going to run $40k-50k. The parent schools of SMPs with linkage (Cincy, RFU, Temple come to mind) are around the same price per year in tuition alone once you're in. Med school is an extremely expensive investment with or without an SMP, unfortunately, with no way around it. Other SMPs without official linkage (like Boston) may give you a better chance to matriculate into your state med school, which is hopefully much less expensive than a private school. These are important things to consider when choosing an SMP.

Also, any degree/certificate an SMP may grant you is useless. These programs are solely for getting weak GPA applicants into medical school. Whether you do another type of master's program is up to you and whatever your eventual career goals may be, but I don't see it being helpful for med school admissions. Others may disagree with me on that, though.

Finally, have you considered bumping up your MCAT test date? Late May is going to put you at a disadvantage for SMPs with rolling admissions and may result in a delay. I'm not saying take the test before you're ready, as a strong 30+ MCAT is essential, but maybe consider a mid-late April date if available.

I'm currently taking an MCAT course that end at the end of April, so my plan was to take it in May, so I have time after to study post class ending. My hope is that with a higher MCAT score I can offset the low GPA(applying to medical schools straight through), but who knows where that will take me. I have taken the GRE so I'm thinking about handing in my GRE scores for some schools (SMPS).

What are you working on right now?

I'm currently taking an MCAT course that end at the end of April, so my plan was to take it in May, so I have time after to study post class ending. My hope is that with a higher MCAT score I can offset the low GPA(applying to medical schools straight through), but who knows where that will take me. I have taken the GRE so I'm thinking about handing in my GRE scores for some schools (SMPS).

What are you working on right now?

Having a GRE score ready to submit is good. I can't think of any programs where that'd be a problem. As for me, I took the past year to apply MD and got waitlisted, so now I'm paying off debts and waiting for SMPs to get back to me on admissions decisions. I would've liked to put my degree to work somehow during the year, but an undergrad degree in physics is about as useful as an SMP degree if you live in a town without research labs.

My hope is that with a higher MCAT score I can offset the low GPA(applying to medical schools straight through), but who knows where that will take me.
Zero chance at an MD school with a 3.1 sGPA and a 3.3 cGPA, unless you are a URM

Save your money and go to an SMP if you want MD, or just apply DO.

MD reapplicants are not treated the same as initial applicants - better to apply once, with a strong app, then through out a crappy app

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Hey wondering if I can get anymore input. I have thought about doing the SF State post bacc program (1/4 the cost of BU for example). Not sure if this will help with MD school at all. Thank you!

Hey wondering if I can get anymore input. I have thought about doing the SF State post bacc program (1/4 the cost of BU for example). Not sure if this will help with MD school at all. Thank you!
I suggest you should work harder to understand the differences between these programs. Specifically, are they for people who have completed the prereqs or who need to do the prereqs?

I also suggest that the two programs you name are a tiny representation of the available programs. Please spend some time reading the posts in this thread which can help you learn what you need to know. Spending 10 hours in this thread would not be a mistake. It would be an investment.

Lastly, I suggest that your MCAT score is extremely important. EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. The month/year you take the MCAT is not that important. The SCORE is important. Do whatever you have to do to get your best ever possible score on the MCAT and take the MCAT only once. Postponing the MCAT until after April would NOT be a mistake if it gets you a better score. You are already too late with an April test date to get into a good SMP or structured postbac, so you might as well delay the test to an optimal schedule. And you should not be thinking about applying to med school this summer unless you will be focusing on DO. In California there's no point at all in applying with your current GPA.

Best of luck to you.

Okay- I've been lurking for a few weeks now, trying do as much research as possible (like Doctor Midlife tells every first time poster), and I am ready for the bluntness. Here are my miserable statistics:

B.A. Biology
cGPA: 2.56
sGPA: 2.51
MCAT: Haven't taken yet
2 separate research internships (one summer at Columbia, two semesters at Wake Forest), but no publications. ~75 hours of shadowing in U.S. Currently volunteering in the OR in Saigon, Vietnam until May 10th (3 months total, ~400 hours of observation with some hands on activity mixed in).

I was not ready for college my freshamn year, failed out, had to take 2 classes to be readmitted the following summer. Switched to Biology major second semester sophomore year. I never was set on a career path until summer 2013 (summer after graduation), when I did my ~75 hours of shadowing with an IM rotation at a local hospital.

I am leaning toward unnoffical post-bacc (DIY style to retake classes locally and fulfill pre-med requirements), and then SMP and then Med School. Should I take the MCAT as soon as I'm ready and use that to go straight to an official post-bacc program, or even with a solid MCAT score is that too much of a stretch?

Okay- I've been lurking for a few weeks now, trying do as much research as possible (like Doctor Midlife tells every first time poster), and I am ready for the bluntness. Here are my miserable statistics:

B.A. Biology
cGPA: 2.56
sGPA: 2.51
MCAT: Haven't taken yet
2 separate research internships (one summer at Columbia, two semesters at Wake Forest), but no publications. ~75 hours of shadowing in U.S. Currently volunteering in the OR in Saigon, Vietnam until May 10th (3 months total, ~400 hours of observation with some hands on activity mixed in).

I was not ready for college my freshamn year, failed out, had to take 2 classes to be readmitted the following summer. Switched to Biology major second semester sophomore year. I never was set on a career path until summer 2013 (summer after graduation), when I did my ~75 hours of shadowing with an IM rotation at a local hospital.

I am leaning toward unnoffical post-bacc (DIY style to retake classes locally and fulfill pre-med requirements), and then SMP and then Med School. Should I take the MCAT as soon as I'm ready and use that to go straight to an official post-bacc program, or even with a solid MCAT score is that too much of a stretch?

You should take the mcat as close to the application of the SMP as possible, probabaly within 6 months before you apply, when you are ready. By ready I mean your under cum gpa is raised to more than 3.0 since this minimum gpa most SMPs will accept. I am not sure how many semesters of A's you will need to get to raise a 2.5 to 3.0+ but mcat should come after that. most medical schools will accept mcat scores no older than 3 years, and if you take it too early it will expire while you are still trying to get that grade up, and then it will rot some more while applying for smp, gap years and possible reapplications

Should I take the MCAT as soon as I'm ready and use that to go straight to an official post-bacc program, or even with a solid MCAT score is that too much of a stretch?
You're way ahead of yourself in thinking about the MCAT or about an SMP.

You're missing the standard asset of a long, successful undergrad performance. So that's where you start: produce a long, successful undergrad performance. Until you have that together, there's absolutely no point in thinking about the MCAT or med school applications. You have to decide if you're willing to do expensive, ridiculous years of work to get where you want to go, because it's not rational to try to get into med school from a 2.5 GPA. Premed advisers will have no clue what to do with you; if they are good at their job they will try to talk you out of wanting to be a doctor. You are at the far left end of the bell curve for GPA redemption stories.

The first thing you do: take a break from school. Seriously.
The second thing you do: take one moderately difficult class, such as statistics, such as after work at a community college. Get an A. If you get an A, then you can proceed. If you don't get an A, then you are done. Really done.

Here's a very important thread for you to read: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-low-gpa-what-do-i-do-thread.827879/

Best of luck to you.

Hi all! I've been stalking this forum for awhile now, knowing one day I'd find the courage to reveal my ugly scars and finally get some much appreciated feedback.

B.A Spanish Language and Literature; Minor Latin American Studies
'04 grad
cGPA: 2.42
sGPA: 0.0 (took Bio 1 twice, got F both times)
Last 45 credits:
--->27 credits study abroad 3.5 GPA (not calculated into cGPA; I didn't realize I'd get the credits not the grades. cGPA would be closer to 2.8 if grades were calculated but no one (master level programs) do not consider these transcripts)
--->18 credits 3.02 GPA a few retakes (stats and a Spanish class) best semester

Currently, doing DIY post bac at local cc.
sGPA 3.75 (Bio 1,2 & Chem 1,2)
cGPA 3.36 (sciences + 3 math classes)

Raised overall GPA to 2.56

I am a full-time middle school teacher. I volunteer at a local hospital, a dental clinic, an HIV center, and women's shelter. I also shadow a few dentist, occasionally.

Now trying to decide if I should:
(a) transfer to university for 2nd bachelors degree in Biological Sciences to continue to raise GPA (and get a foot in the door for M.S program)
(b) apply to formal M.S Biological Studies program (UCF/UF)
(c) continue taking classes at cc and apply to formal post bac, SMP (Barry/Nova), or M.S program (UCF/UF) once GPA is closer to 3.0
(d) once I achieve (c), take DAT, kill it, and apply to Dschool
(e) open to other suggestions

What do you think? What can I do to strengthen application/ academic record? Where do I go from here?

Thank you!

Hey guys, hoping I can gain some insight. I was very immature in early undergrad, receiving multiple Fs in critical science classes. Since then I had a significant upward trend, getting 3.9-4.0 every semester until completion. The damage was already done unfortunately, and my sGPA (AMCAS) is around a 2.6 while my cGPA is 3.33. I took my MCAT in January and got a 35 on it (12/11/12). Since I retook the prereqs that I failed my ACOMAS sGPA looks better at ~3.5. Would you guys completely skip applying allopathic and instead apply DO, or should I also apply to an SMP with the hopes of applying MD in '16? I'm convinced that my AMCAS sGPA will prevent me from getting an allo interview, despite ECs, upward trends, etc.

Thanks!

Raised overall GPA to 2.56

I am a full-time middle school teacher. I volunteer at a local hospital, a dental clinic, an HIV center, and women's shelter. I also shadow a few dentist, occasionally.

Now trying to decide if I should:
(a) transfer to university for 2nd bachelors degree in Biological Sciences to continue to raise GPA (and get a foot in the door for M.S program)
(b) apply to formal M.S Biological Studies program (UCF/UF)
(c) continue taking classes at cc and apply to formal post bac, SMP (Barry/Nova), or M.S program (UCF/UF) once GPA is closer to 3.0
(d) once I achieve (c), take DAT, kill it, and apply to Dschool
(e) open to other suggestions

What do you think? What can I do to strengthen application/ academic record? Where do I go from here?

Thank you!
Do A, then do a real SMP (not Barry; one that is actually attached to a dental school), and rock the DAT.

Hey guys, hoping I can gain some insight. I was very immature in early undergrad, receiving multiple Fs in critical science classes. Since then I had a significant upward trend, getting 3.9-4.0 every semester until completion. The damage was already done unfortunately, and my sGPA (AMCAS) is around a 2.6 while my cGPA is 3.33. I took my MCAT in January and got a 35 on it (12/11/12). Since I retook the prereqs that I failed my ACOMAS sGPA looks better at ~3.5. Would you guys completely skip applying allopathic and instead apply DO, or should I also apply to an SMP with the hopes of applying MD in '16? I'm convinced that my AMCAS sGPA will prevent me from getting an allo interview, despite ECs, upward trends, etc.

Thanks!
Depends how bad you want MD or how quickly you want to be in practice..... if you want the MD then pursue the SMP and realize you still may up in a DO school.... or apply DO now and see where it takes you.

Undergrad GPA (before doing post-bacc stuff) was 2.7
MCAT was 36.
I had (I believe) a good back-story, and (I would like to think) engaging essays.

I'm now an EM attending, with an MD. YMMV

Okay so i've read most of these threads with people with low gpa's and what it takes to actually make it to med school. However, I need some advice for myself.

Went to SU..Child and Family Studies Major. cGPA: 3.3; sGPA probably around a 3.0.

Right now I am taking some time off working and studying for MCAT.

I am trying to decide what would be best for me..A postbac to help raise my undergrad GPA, or an SPM to prove to schools that I can do the work. I have not taken the MCAT yet, but i've been studying a lot and doing very well on practice exams so I think I can pull off a decent score (at least a 30).

Anyways, any advice would be great! I do have lots of research/clinical experience and great LOR. The only thing that is holding me back is the low GPA.

Major: Neurobiology

Options Being Considered:
  1. Go to state school/CC to fix prereq's to have nothing sub B-. Apply to DO or MD SMPs. I will likely substitute the grades with B+ to A, as my prior academic problems have been resolved.
  2. Go to state school/CC to fix all BCPM to have nothing sub B-. Apply to DO or MD SMPs. I will likely substitute the grades with B+ to A, as my prior academic problems have been resolved.
  3. Go to SGU or Ross come August of this year.
What I'm Thinking:

I am willing to put in the effort if I will have a good chance at getting into a SMP for DO or MD. However, I don't want to waste probably a year in retaking classes to be rejected. If that is possible, then I think Caribbean might be a good route.

I'm open to any and all criticism. Please tell me your honest opinions.

DO retakes [read the policy] will fix your GPA quickly if you can get As (all the way into DO school sans SMP). MD is a long road (GPAs to >3.0, crush mcat, rock smp, gap year, luck).

I'm slowly starting to realize that the Caribbean is my only choice. Oh well, IMGs still have a good 7 or so years before they're screwed. Even as the number USMG increases, it's the non-US IMGs that will take the brunt of the initial impact, not US IMGs.
I wouldn't put so much stock in this.

Look at this years match data about how many seats were filled by US IMGs and in which specialties. The road back from the Carib is not as easy as you may think

Fair enough. However, do you think it is feasible to recover a 2.7 cGPA to a 3.2 without taking over a year of classes. That's from a cumulative of 180 semester units (270 quater units) accrued during my UG career.
No.

180 semester units @2.7 would require you to take another 115 semester units at 4.0 to get to 3.2.

...do you think it is feasible to recover a 2.7 cGPA to a 3.2 without taking over a year of classes...
The actual problem here is that you're trying to dictate the terms of your GPA redemption. You can't. From a 2.7 you have to bullheadedly work for multiple years to prove you are not that 2.7. The traditional four years of undergrad are where you're supposed to prove you're med school material. If it takes you any less than four more years to recover, consider yourself lucky.

You should not be considering Carib at all. Carib schools will not hesitate to let you in, take your money for 2-3 years, then unceremoniously dump you because they don't want you to take Step 1 and sully their numbers. You will be in the very unhappy bottom half of a 400 student class.

You may find this useful: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-low-gpa-what-do-i-do-thread.827879/

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
I concur that his AMCAS gpa is not practically redeemable.

His AACOMAS GPA is [*Provided he can get As] redeemable, though perhaps in closer to a year and a half (or with summer semesters on each end) depending on whether his semester hour calculation includes his retakes as 4 credits or 4+4+4 credits. The advantage of this is that provided you adhere to the re-take fine print you can take classes at a community college or state school where you can ideally pay instate tuition. Keep in mind that AACOMAS doesn't count math as a science class.

Since we don't have real information assuming:

4 years @ 3.0
2 years @ 2.0
= cum 2.66

Replacing 1 year of 2.0 @ 4.0 will raise the cum to 3.0
Replacing 2 years of 2.0 @ 4.0 will raise the cum to 3.33

Now that you realize you actually can redeem your AACOMAS GPA, the question is whether you actually will. Statistically, based on your past performance, any self-respecting bookie would place the odds strongly against you. There's a segment of this board (of whom none tend to be actual medical students) that believe that anything is possible - the above two posters (actual medical students) are doing you a service by strongly cautioning you. In my opinion, if you can't walk in and utterly destroy a course that you're taking for the fourth time you need to reevaluate your career trajectory.

I concur that his AMCAS gpa is not practically redeemable.

His AACOMAS GPA is [*Provided he can get As] redeemable, though perhaps in closer to a year and a half (or with summer semesters on each end) depending on whether his semester hour calculation includes his retakes as 4 credits or 4+4+4 credits. The advantage of this is that provided you adhere to the re-take fine print you can take classes at a community college or state school where you can ideally pay instate tuition. Keep in mind that AACOMAS doesn't count math as a science class.

Since we don't have real information assuming:

4 years @ 3.0
2 years @ 2.0
= cum 2.66

Replacing 1 year of 2.0 @ 4.0 will raise the cum to 3.0
Replacing 2 years of 2.0 @ 4.0 will raise the cum to 3.33

Now that you realize you actually can redeem your AACOMAS GPA, the question is whether you actually will. Statistically, based on your past performance, any self-respecting bookie would place the odds strongly against you. There's a segment of this board (of whom none tend to be actual medical students) that believe that anything is possible - the above two posters (actual medical students) are doing you a service by strongly cautioning you. In my opinion, if you can't walk in and utterly destroy a course that you're taking for the fourth time you need to reevaluate your career trajectory.
Agree with everything apart from the CC part - if you are doing GPA repair and redemption, taking classes at a lower level then you previously did will not help an ADCOM that you are worthy of a med school seat.

A C at your 4-year is not washed away by an A at a CC..... the wording of it may allow you to do it, but think of how it will be perceived by ADCOMs.

Any thoughts on my situation - I'm a graduating senior at a good school, Honors Bio major with the pre-med prerequisites. I'll wind up with about a 3.75 gpa, have tons of research experience, have TAed many labs, am extremely well rounded and lead various service organizations and honors societies, have a 28 MCAT, and shadowing experience. The big problem is that I did not do well in Ochem 2 lecture, with a D+, however I had a B+ in lab. Will schools average that out?? I did well in biochem after that, it's just that one class that is putting me in serious jeopardy. I'm just trying to figure out my life for next year.

Any thoughts on my situation - I'm a graduating senior at a good school, Honors Bio major with the pre-med prerequisites. I'll wind up with about a 3.75 gpa, have tons of research experience, have TAed many labs, am extremely well rounded and lead various service organizations and honors societies, have a 28 MCAT, and shadowing experience. The big problem is that I did not do well in Ochem 2 lecture, with a D+, however I had a B+ in lab. Will schools average that out?? I did well in biochem after that, it's just that one class that is putting me in serious jeopardy. I'm just trying to figure out my life for next year.

No, schools won't average out your lab and lecture grades...

Ochem2 is a prereq course and you need to pass it. there's only one way to go about it, and that is to retake it

Last edited:
You have 2 big problems - a prereq below the usual C- minimum, and a 28 MCAT. Fix both before you apply to med school, or accept 10x the anguish and uncertainty.

The minimum i've seen at most places is no less than a C. C- being below a C (I've asked).

The minimum i've seen at most places is no less than a C. C- being below a C (I've asked).

That's the general wisdom, though I don't think there's been an effort to ask each school directly and compile a list of ones that are lenient. RFU's SMP accepts a C- even though their website says no grades lower than a C. Most people opt for the route of not getting C's in the first place. lol

That's the general wisdom, though I don't think there's been an effort to ask each school directly and compile a list of ones that are lenient. RFU's SMP accepts a C- even though their website says no grades lower than a C. Most people opt for the route of not getting C's in the first place. lol
Its not a SMP/post bac thing.... its a med school adcom thing. Lower than a C is the general rule there.

Check the MSAR

Its not a SMP/post bac thing.... its a med school adcom thing. Lower than a C is the general rule there.

Check the MSAR

Oh no, I get that and am well aware of what the MSAR says. When I had a C- in physics (retook it) I called schools and many gave me a "case-by-case basis" instead of a hard "no." It's somewhat like the Biochemistry requirements starting to be listed on the MSAR which, upon further inspection, can often be substituted by a second semester of Organic Chemistry (NYMC is one such school). An otherwise good application with a single C- in a prereq isn't necessarily a kiss of death- the original question asked about D+ which is obviously unacceptable, but I felt compelled to point out that there can be some flexibility.

Oh no, I get that and am well aware of what the MSAR says. When I had a C- in physics (retook it) I called schools and many gave me a "case-by-case basis" instead of a hard "no." It's somewhat like the Biochemistry requirements starting to be listed on the MSAR which, upon further inspection, can often be substituted by a second semester of Organic Chemistry (NYMC is one such school). An otherwise good application with a single C- in a prereq isn't necessarily a kiss of death- the original question asked about D+ which is obviously unacceptable, but I felt compelled to point out that there can be some flexibility.
Whatever NYMC is thinking in not requiring much ochem, and allowing ochem to substitute for biochem, is nuts. Biochem in med school is the graveyard of champions, and being all up in the sugars and amino acids after ochem II is chapter 1 of biochem.

"second semester of ochem" seems to imply that only one semester of ochem is the norm. Which it's not. Don't mess with the basic med school prereqs: one year each, with labs, of bio/genchem/ochem/physics plus whatever specific schools require. It'll be 2016+ before the new MCAT has any real effect here, because the prior requirements will still be respected.

But the general rules for C minuses are:
1. Don't get crappy grades in the first place.
2. If you get a C- in a prereq, one option instead of retaking the class is to take an appropriate, more advanced class, but you are 100% at the mercy of med schools to allow this, and anecdotes from past years may have nothing to do with present/future years.

Best of luck to you.

Whatever NYMC is thinking in not requiring much ochem, and allowing ochem to substitute for biochem, is nuts. Biochem in med school is the graveyard of champions, and being all up in the sugars and amino acids after ochem II is chapter 1 of biochem.

"second semester of ochem" seems to imply that only one semester of ochem is the norm. Which it's not. Don't mess with the basic med school prereqs: one year each, with labs, of bio/genchem/ochem/physics plus whatever specific schools require. It'll be 2016+ before the new MCAT has any real effect here, because the prior requirements will still be respected.

But the general rules for C minuses are:
1. Don't get crappy grades in the first place.
2. If you get a C- in a prereq, one option instead of retaking the class is to take an appropriate, more advanced class, but you are 100% at the mercy of med schools to allow this, and anecdotes from past years may have nothing to do with present/future years.

Best of luck to you.

I'll take this post as a PSA, rather than an assumption of my ignorance.

I was simply giving an example of an instance in which a medical school's actual admission requirements or attitudes towards a particular requirement are not reflected by what's listed on MSAR. Several schools exist with only one semester of organic chemistry and, in lieu of barring those students from applying to allopathic schools, it has been the norm for schools to accept 1 semester of Biochem in place of the second semester of organic chemistry. To be clear, before I get bolded at again, I mean in situations where infrastructure fails to provide the opportunity to take a prereq, exceptions are made. Now that Biochemistry is becoming more widely named as a requirement, some schools like NYMC, are necessarily allowing a second semester of OChem to count in spite of it showing up on MSAR. This is probably due to the need to be flexible for high quality applicants who may be missing some of the newer requirements, as they've gone off into the world curing cancer and saving tsunami victims from cholera.

As always, I appreciate the candor of your contributions.

I have a 2.74 cumulative gpa and am applying to the sfsu post bacc. Anyone know what my chances of getting in are like?

Hey,

I'm currently a junior and I've calculated that when I graduate, I'll end up in the 3.3-3.4 gpa range with possibly a slightly higher science gpa. I haven't taken the MCAT due to that I haven't taken physics and I don't see myself fitting it into my schedule since I am slightly behind due to transfer of universities. I was kind of just wondering what should I do because I HAVE to graduate in the normal 4 year span so my loan can turn into a grant. Don't really feel I'm in the desperation area of a SMP, but then I might be wrong. Would it be best to graduate and then go back to take physics, upper division sciences and retake some of my C pre-reqs. I'm pretty sure that I'll have a decent MCAT because I'll be studying until I'm satisfied with it.

I kind of figured my time line would be something like this...
graduate-->go back and finish physics prereqs-->study mcat and take it-->apply if i have a strong mcat-->if i don't get in, which is likely, try for smp and reapply

any suggestions? Thanks

Wow! Five years later and I finally got into medical school