The **NEW & IMPROVED** official low gpa thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, looking for suggestions, I really really appreciate the help, very anxious for the last month....

cGPA: 2.98
sGPA: 2.95

Just graduated from a large midwest state school.

I worked for a year and a half as a Medical Scribe (Family prac and ER)
I tutored both disadvantaged students in Math and Science in the city and Science tutoring in my university
I worked in both a soup kitchen and red cross in the city for 2 semesters
I have a year of research experience, mostly in Gen Chem (Chromatography and the like)
I have shadowing experience (50+) with a DO doctor in GI as well as strong rec letter from him. I can get additional DO shadowing hours through him as well (godsend)

I want to go to DO school eventually, but I'm wondering what sort of programs I should be looking at. I'm assuming that a Post-bacc program is required for me, and I have done a tour at LECOM (it was a bastard of a drive) which I liked a lot.
My AIS score is 113 (30 ACT in high school), but I am scheduled to take the MCAT March 31st and have been studying extensively for it so I will be prepared to do well. Can you guys let me know if a Post-bacc program or SMP program is best, and point me in the right direction? I have a strong upward trend in my classes after an abysmal freshman year and academic dismissal, but I took responsibilty for it and have a full explanation of the issues that led to it and how I have bounced back and recovered from it. Thank you all for the help!!!!!!!!!!! ! ! ! !

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe things have changed in the billion years since I was applying to med school, but here is where I saw the difference between the programs were:

Post Bac - for people who needed pre-recs after already getting a degree in something else (As in, you don't have 2 sems of Gen Chem, Physics, Bio, Orgo or whatever med schools are looking for these days.)

SMP - A 'please let me into medical school' Master's degree. - As in you already have your pre-recs, and your MCAT, but still seem to be coming up short.

So, if you already have the pre-recs for med school, then you probably don't need a Post Bach. You may need an SMP.

(( And now, I will probably go back into my long slumber. I popped on to check out opinions for ABIM studying. :yeahright: ))

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I am looking for some advice for the following situation: I majored in BS in Biomedical Engineering at GWU May 2017 with overall GPA 3.4, science gpa 3.1. Regarding ECs, I have 250 hours of volunteering of being in two hospitals and 1 nursing home. 16 hours of shadowing at a hospital. I did an undergraduate research fellowship for 8 months on data processing in a lab meant to design robotic devices for autistic children. I had one leadership role in Biomedical Engineering Society club for a year. I don't have add't ECs though.

Now, I have not taken the MCAT and still have to take organic chemistry 2. I had to withdraw from organic chemistry 2 in spring semester (had a poor semester with a 3.1 GPA senior year due to poor time management and mental health issues that I am now resolving and doing much better from.)

I think I will take the organic chem 2 with lab in the fall (as opposed to summer now). I am debating whether I should apply to a smp program(Georgetown SMP, Cinnnati SMP, Tufts MBS, BU MAMS) or a premedical certificate (like the John Hopkins HSI) that involves upper-level undergraduate coursework starting 2018 fall(or summer, depending on the program) or just take upper-level biology coursework at a SUNY school nearby for the fall 2017-spring 2018 semesters and then apply for the 2018 med school cycle. I know that if I do a smp, med schools will look at both the undergraduate gpa and smp gpa separately and am just unsure how much a good smp gpa can compensate for my undergraduate science gpa. So I am debated -- will med schools prefer strong peformance in med school coursework or rather see I boost up my undergraduate science gpa?

If I decide to a program, alongside the organic chemistry 2 this fall, I would probably do a medical scribe job and also study for the MCAT (to get a decent score for the post bac programs).

If I decide to do DIY post bac program, I calculated that if I get As in 32 credits, I am able to boost my undergraduate science GPA to 3.4 (this requires extreme care I know ). I know I also have the option to do 32 credits coursework, MCAT, and apply to post bacs as I apply to med schools. However, if a smp would help more than DIY post bac for my situation, I'd prefer to that because I can take out a loan to cover the smp cost while for DIY informal post bac, no financial aid is offered.

Any and all advice on this is truly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I am looking for some advice for the following situation: I majored in BS in Biomedical Engineering at GWU May 2017 with overall GPA 3.4, science gpa 3.1. Regarding ECs, I have 250 hours of volunteering of being in two hospitals and 1 nursing home. 16 hours of shadowing at a hospital. I did an undergraduate research fellowship for 8 months on data processing in a lab meant to design robotic devices for autistic children. I had one leadership role in Biomedical Engineering Society club for a year. I don't have add't ECs though.

Now, I have not taken the MCAT and still have to take organic chemistry 2. I had to withdraw from organic chemistry 2 in spring semester (had a poor semester with a 3.1 GPA senior year due to poor time management and mental health issues that I am now resolving and doing much better from.)

I think I will take the organic chem 2 with lab in the fall (as opposed to summer now). I am debating whether I should apply to a smp program(Georgetown SMP, Cinnnati SMP, Tufts MBS, BU MAMS) or a premedical certificate (like the John Hopkins HSI) that involves upper-level undergraduate coursework starting 2018 fall(or summer, depending on the program) or just take upper-level biology coursework at a SUNY school nearby for the fall 2017-spring 2018 semesters and then apply for the 2018 med school cycle. I know that if I do a smp, med schools will look at both the undergraduate gpa and smp gpa separately and am just unsure how much a good smp gpa can compensate for my undergraduate science gpa. So I am debated -- will med schools prefer strong peformance in med school coursework or rather see I boost up my undergraduate science gpa?

If I decide to a program, alongside the organic chemistry 2 this fall, I would probably do a medical scribe job and also study for the MCAT (to get a decent score for the post bac programs).

If I decide to do DIY post bac program, I calculated that if I get As in 32 credits, I am able to boost my undergraduate science GPA to 3.4 (this requires extreme care I know ). I know I also have the option to do 32 credits coursework, MCAT, and apply to post bacs as I apply to med schools. However, if a smp would help more than DIY post bac for my situation, I'd prefer to that because I can take out a loan to cover the smp cost while for DIY informal post bac, no financial aid is offered.

If you want to do the DIY option, why don't you just enroll as a degree seeking student. You won't need to actually complete the degree, you would be able to take the classes you need, and you would be eligible for financial aid

Crush the MCAT! We really can't give advice without knowing where you stand with the MCAT, so after you get your score, come back and people might be able to help. Good luck!

Hi,

Have you considered getting a job? And taking a little time away from school? How about some backpacking across Europe? I am by no means any sort of administration official.... but when you say "BS in Biomedical Engineering at GWU May 2017" and you post this in April of 2017, I either think you have just graduated, or there is a typo.

Even if you graduated within the last year or two, you may need some more time to sort, and reflect. Med school, residency, maybe fellowship, new attending, recertifying attending... is a long road with a lot of delayed gratification. It will take really knowing yourself, and really being committed to attacking and breaking down anything that may become a barrier. Sometimes those barriers aren't obvious until you've walked away from the situation for a while.

I will give an example from my own experience. I HATE math (ok arithmetic actually, not math). I knew that med school was my path when I took a college algebra class because I didn't like my Physics grade, and I needed to learn whatever math I could to raise my physics grade. At that time, I would rather study x+y = 1 on a Saturday night, than do anything else in the world. Why? Because it was a barrier, and I wasn't going to let it stand in my way. Several years prior, I would have not been in the right mental space to have recognized that need, nor would I have been able to carry out the plan even if I had.

There are many of us who have had to conquer and overcome mental health issues, that process can take time and energy.

<tl;dr> Take a break, and give yourself some space, and you will find your path.

Hello,
I don't have the greatest stats in the world 3.1c and 2.9s. I have not taken the MCAT yet and yes I am from CA. I still have a year left and do have a nice recovery trend. 1st year:3.2, 2nd year 2.85, 3rd year 3.1, 4th year ???. I am not stupid and realize that those marks will not get me in anywhere so I saved my money until I knew I at least had a chance. I figured out what I was doing wrong and changed it. Now the last 70 quarter units have averaged a 3.3-3.4. Basically I am writing to see what people would recommend in terms of getting the gpa's higher. SMP or traditional post bac. Oh I forget Biology major with an anthropology minor. I have done some soul searching and found out that medicine is really what I want, I could have called it quits after my second year with the 2.85 but I didn't and have been working my rear off ever since. Also I think I have my EC's covered. Advice please!!
So it took me a while but I got in. It was my dream for a long time and having that letter saying that I was wanted felt great. It took me 2 cycles of applications and a lot of hard work but I can say that I have a seat in a US medical school. Here is my advice:
1) Get the hell off of this forum, they are not helpful at all and just made me worry. When I was waiting for my MCAT results, I even blocked SDN and reddit from my browser because all they would do is make me nervous.
2) Take classes you enjoy- . I found that I really liked ecology and evolution and anthroplogy so that I what I did. I still completed my prerequisites but I really did not take any upper division classes that I thought it would look good for medical school.
3) Get a good living environment
4) If you need a post bacc do it. Make sure it is reputable and that they care about student success. I did not get in the first time after a post bacc, did I give up no, I sat down with the program director and made a plan. They will help me forever. A good program should be willing to answer all of you questions. Look carefully at the linkage programs and make the most informed decision for yourself. It is your money and you should spend it wisely. The program I attended was unlinked but they were very forthcoming and honest with me regarding my chances. I am very grateful for that. They were not afraid to state their success rate and it seemed reasonable.
5) Relish the success- every A you earn on a paper or midterm is a good thing just keep working at it
6) Anki is your friend
7) Build up some good extracurricular experiences. Mine were either from employment (EMS) or community service. It allowed me to grow as a person and not be dealing with the stress of waiting to hear back. Plus you will learn some thing new I promise.
8) Find people to talk to; mine was my post bacc adviser, there were times when I was crying in her office and times when she would pat me on the back. Either way she was there for me.
9) Learn for content mastery, you understand the material when you can write your own test questions
10) In the words of dory "just keep swimming".
Please do not give up, keep moving towards your goal.

Reactions: 1 users
So it took me a while but I got in. It was my dream for a long time and having that letter saying that I was wanted felt great. It took me 2 cycles of applications and a lot of hard work but I can say that I have a seat in a US medical school. Here is my advice:
1) Get the hell off of this forum, they are not helpful at all and just made me worry. When I was waiting for my MCAT results, I even blocked SDN and reddit from my browser because all they would do is make me nervous.
2) Take classes you enjoy- . I found that I really liked ecology and evolution and anthroplogy so that I what I did. I still completed my prerequisites but I really did not take any upper division classes that I thought it would look good for medical school.
3) Get a good living environment
4) If you need a post bacc do it. Make sure it is reputable and that they care about student success. I did not get in the first time after a post bacc, did I give up no, I sat down with the program director and made a plan. They will help me forever. A good program should be willing to answer all of you questions. Look carefully at the linkage programs and make the most informed decision for yourself. It is your money and you should spend it wisely. The program I attended was unlinked but they were very forthcoming and honest with me regarding my chances. I am very grateful for that. They were not afraid to state their success rate and it seemed reasonable.
5) Relish the success- every A you earn on a paper or midterm is a good thing just keep working at it
6) Anki is your friend
7) Build up some good extracurricular experiences. Mine were either from employment (EMS) or community service. It allowed me to grow as a person and not be dealing with the stress of waiting to hear back. Plus you will learn some thing new I promise.
8) Find people to talk to; mine was my post bacc adviser, there were times when I was crying in her office and times when she would pat me on the back. Either way she was there for me.
9) Learn for content mastery, you understand the material when you can write your own test questions
10) In the words of dory "just keep swimming".
Please do not give up, keep moving towards your goal.
Amazing. Thank you for coming back to share this with us. Congrats!!!

Hello!!

I am trying to apply to JHU's Health Sciences Intensive program but am apprehensive in terms of my stats. I was wondering if you would be able to offer any insight seeing as though you got in? I would really appreciate it! Even if its what extracurriculars you have. I applied to GW's SMP (my home school) and just heard back Friday that I am on the waitlist, so I am trying to explore other options. Not even sure if I need an SMP. Would take over 32 credits to get a 3.5. Here are my stats/ECS:

School: George Washington University
Year: 4th/Senior
Major: biology with concentration in cell and molecular biology
Minor: psychology
URM
  • 3.28 cGPA
    • My gpa at my university is 3.28 but that is without the credits I transferred. I took organic chem 1 and 2 at a community college over the summer and got A’s in both therefore this 3.32 GPA is after factoring those in.
    • Also here is my yearly GPA (each just consisting of my grades that academic year):
      • Freshman GPA: 3.3
      • Sophomore GPA: 3.1
      • Junior: 3.36
      • Senior (Fall only): 3.49
  • 3.06 sGPA
    • C+ in gen chem 1 and 2, C in biochem, and C in genetics everything else A’s and B’s
  • Undergraduate research assistant at my university's medical school for one year
  • Learning assistant in an intro biology class for one semester + biology tutor for that same amount of time
  • Marketing chair of iGEM as of Fall 2019- our org was created last semester
  • Philanthropy chair of AXE (chemistry frat) since Fall 2019, member for 2 years, I also do chemistry tutoring through this organization
  • Took a scribe class and did clinicals for a semester
  • Taking a theory and research in clinical practice class this semester--> I screen patients for studies in GW's ED, enroll those who meet criteria and consent, and administer surveys. In process of getting a position as a research assistant (the prof of the class hires).
Thank you so much and congrats on your acceptance!!

Frankly, I don't think you need an SMP. They are really expensive and risky (speaking as someone who did an SMP!). I think you should do an informal post-bacc this year and take some upper-div science courses to show you can continue to have an upward trend. You also need take the MCAT and get more clinical hours and shadowing. With 509+, some well-written essays, a GOOD school list, and early submission, you should have a successful cycle.
Thank you so much!! What GPA should I shoot for? Of course as high as possible, but I just wanna know what a good number is so that way I can plan how many classes to take!! Thank you so much. And yes!! I am trying to get a job as a research assistant at GW's ED so I can make some connections, possibly find a mentor, and someone to shadow. I will also prioritize volunteer hours as well.

I have a 2.78 overall GPA and SGPA of 1.3 after one of those excel gpa things from this website.
bs in chemistry
5000 hours of EMT experiences
5000 hours of Nurse aide experiences
8 hours of shadowing EM doctors
3 good LOR
also URM ( if that necessary)
no research experience
I was put on academic dismissal and my dean recommended fresh restart
reason for low GPA was that I had a learning disability which was resolved after coming back
I graduated with 2.92 overall and 3.0 science GPA but when I calculated the overall it is very low
was thinking about doing SMP/master but I heard I still need to increase those low GPAs bc of auto screen

I'm studying now for the MCATs but feel like I'm not going anywhere bc of my stats
I would love to do post bacc but I can't afford that
so my plan was going into a master program such as Drexel (MBS)

I have a 2.78 overall GPA and SGPA of 1.3 after one of those excel gpa things from this website.
bs in chemistry
5000 hours of EMT experiences
5000 hours of Nurse aide experiences
8 hours of shadowing EM doctors
3 good LOR
also URM ( if that necessary)
no research experience
I was put on academic dismissal and my dean recommended fresh restart
reason for low GPA was that I had a learning disability which was resolved after coming back
I graduated with 2.92 overall and 3.0 science GPA but when I calculated the overall it is very low
was thinking about doing SMP/master but I heard I still need to increase those low GPAs bc of auto screen

I'm studying now for the MCATs but feel like I'm not going anywhere bc of my stats
I would love to do post bacc but I can't afford that
so my plan was going into a master program such as Drexel (MBS)
You need to seriously work on your undergrad science GPA. It is just way too low. Even if you're luck enough to get accepted by a masters program and finish it, you will be auto-reject by med schools so human eyeballs won't even see the masters you completed. Undergrad GPA is far more important than grad GPA because there is a lot of grade inflation in master programs.

You need to seriously work on your undergrad science GPA. It is just way too low. Even if you're luck enough to get accepted by a masters program and finish it, you will be auto-reject by med schools so human eyeballs won't even see the masters you completed. Undergrad GPA is far more important than grad GPA because there is a lot of grade inflation in master programs.

yeah that what I’m starting to realize
I’m thinking about forgetting about studying for mcat and start doing a diy post bacc at community college
Even the mcat exams seems impossible for me

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah that what I’m starting to realize
I’m thinking about forgetting about studying for mcat and start doing a diy post bacc at community college
Even the mcat exams seems impossible for me
Retake whatever pre-reqs you don't have a strong foundation in and some upper level science classes. Figure out how many As you need to bring up your science GPA as close as you can get it to a 3.0 (this depends on how much credits you have accumulated in your bachelors degree). Build up your clinical/non-clinical hours. Study very well and take the MCAT only once when you're truly ready after hitting your target score multiple times on practice exams. This is a marathon now not a sprint.

Thank you so much!! What GPA should I shoot for? Of course as high as possible, but I just wanna know what a good number is so that way I can plan how many classes to take!! Thank you so much. And yes!! I am trying to get a job as a research assistant at GW's ED so I can make some connections, possibly find a mentor, and someone to shadow. I will also prioritize volunteer hours as well.
You need to raise your science GPA to at least a 3.3. Being URM helps but you need to establish an upward trend in grades and you need to really perform the best that you can on the MCAT. A lot of premeds do not think about the amount of loans they accumulate prior to med school. You want to minimize your debt load as much as possible.

You need to raise your science GPA to at least a 3.3. Being URM helps but you need to establish an upward trend in grades and you need to really perform the best that you can on the MCAT. A lot of premeds do not think about the amount of loans they accumulate prior to med school. You want to minimize your debt load as much as possible.
Yes, thank you! I see, my goal is to get my overall GPA to a 3.3 by the end of this semester. I may also do a DIY post bacc to prove myself more. Also trying to focus on getting more clinical hours + volunteering.

In your opinion, do you think I need an SMP? Or would a DIY postbacc suffice- what GPA (overall) should I shoot for?

Yes, thank you! I see, my goal is to get my overall GPA to a 3.3 by the end of this semester. I may also do a DIY post bacc to prove myself more. Also trying to focus on getting more clinical hours + volunteering.

In your opinion, do you think I need an SMP? Or would a DIY postbacc suffice- what GPA (overall) should I shoot for?
A strong performance in a +30 diy post-bac with a solid MCAT score will be enough especially being urm. There's no need for a SMP.

Retake whatever pre-reqs you don't have a strong foundation in and some upper level science classes. Figure out how many As you need to bring up your science GPA as close as you can get it to a 3.0 (this depends on how much credits you have accumulated in your bachelors degree). Build up your clinical/non-clinical hours. Study very well and take the MCAT only once when you're truly ready after hitting your target score multiple times on practice exams. This is a marathon now not a sprint.

I know This is a dumb question but how can I figure out my actual GPA because the Excel spreadsheet I use I don’t think it’s accurate

I know This is a dumb question but how can I figure out my actual GPA because the Excel spreadsheet I use I don’t think it’s accurate
Which Excel GPA calculator are you using? Is it the one on sdn?

Which Excel GPA calculator are you using? Is it the one on sdn?
Yh I downloaded it from here a couple years ago
But for some reason I don’t think this is the right representation of my grades
Also I though after adding in all the grade in the AACOMAS it will shoot out the gpa...

Attachments

• 490026DA-5EEC-4572-8C35-8CB2EE5C0BE7.jpeg
    490026DA-5EEC-4572-8C35-8CB2EE5C0BE7.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 81
Yh I downloaded it from here a couple years ago
But for some reason I don’t think this is the right representation of my grades
Also I though after adding in all the grade in the AACOMAS it will shoot out the gpa...

h ttps://www.reddit.com/r/premed/comments/5gc2ri/welcome_to_rpremed_heres_our_faq/

See if the one in the link will work better.

Hi!

I am 21 y/o and am doing my undergrad at George Mason with a degree in Global and Community Health and a concentration in Clinical Sciences. I have a low GPA and have not taken the MCAT yet. I have taken most my prereqs except for the second half of Gen Chem and Physics and both parts of Orgo Chem. Once I complete my prereqs at GMU and do well in all of them, then I should end with a 3.2 - 3.3, I know this is still on the lower end.

I have been volunteering as an EMTB at my local fire station for over 2 years now. This year I was elected to be the Treasurer of our Department. I also work at a Home Health Care company for over 3-4 years. I am actively looking to get a job as a medical scribe or clinical tech at INOVA.

My plan:
  • finish my prereqs by next spring and graduate from GMU (chem 2, physics 2, orgo 1 and 2)
  • get another job as a medical scribe or clinical tech for more experience
  • start studying for the MCAT so by the time I am completing my last semester I can take the MCAT and not waste any more time
  • apply to DO Schools this time next year
Any thoughts or advice?

Just wanted to offer support to everyone out there. I had a 3.2 gpa in undergrad with a 2.9 sgpa. Did an SMP, got into a low tier MD school. Worked my ass off during med school and last month matched into my 1st choice at Harvard/MGH-BWH in my chosen speciality. It was a ton of work and a very hard road, my pre-med advisor told me I would never get into medical school. If you really want it and work for it its attainable, but you have to be willing to sacrifice. Its been a long journey and and I've had to move to different states away from my SO and family, but now it was all worth it.

For all us low GPAers, its going to be an uphill battle - even though I went to US MD it was not a brand name and I had to seek out opportunities, mentorship, did plenty of away rotations and knocked boards out of the park to match at my #1. There are a gazillion cautionary tales here and you have to be realistic with yourself, but I remember when I was having doubts I would look on this website for inspiration. It definitely is possible, but you really have to work for it.

Good luck everyone!
Where did you go?