The NEW KCUMB class of 2011!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

group_theory

EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Continuation from the old thread here
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=319561

Congrats everyone, enjoy the summer, and good luck with medical school. You have achieved one aspect of your life-long goal and will now begin a journey that many envy, but few will get to experience. Enjoy the ride, but don't forget to take pictures along the way.

Members don't see this ad.

Continuation from the old thread here
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=319561

Congrats everyone, enjoy the summer, and good luck with medical school. You have achieved one aspect of your life-long goal and will now begin a journey that many envy, but few will get to experience. Enjoy the ride, but don't forget to take pictures along the way.

Thanks, group_theory!

Let me be the first on the NEW KCUMB Class of 2011 thread to say, "KCUMB Rocks!"

I had the opportunity to speak with drbordercollie on the phone yesterday, and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone else at Orientation or maybe before! Our classmates will make this year a lot of fun.

Good Luck you guys with moving and getting situated in KC!

You know the one thing I am not looking forward to is moving all my stuff half way across the country and then having to unload it in the damn humidity. Other than that, I am stoked about the move!

Members don't see this ad :)
You know the one thing I am not looking forward to is moving all my stuff half way across the country and then having to unload it in the damn humidity. Other than that, I am stoked about the move!

Let me warn you...the humidity is the half of it. If you are moving into CT, everyone will be moving at the same time, so you may have to wait an hour before even pulling up to the loading dock. It all tends to work smoothly though...many of the tough guys will help if needed.

Let me warn you...the humidity is the half of it. If you are moving into CT, everyone will be moving at the same time, so you may have to wait an hour before even pulling up to the loading dock. It all tends to work smoothly though...many of the tough guys will help if needed.

I was worried about that, esp. since we can't move in 'til Aug 1st!

Also, I will be happy to help the cute girls with their furniture. :D

Also, I will be happy to help the cute girls with their furniture. :D

I'll second that!

But really, if any one needs help or thinks they may need help, don't be afraid to ask.

I'll second that!

But really, if any one needs help or thinks they may need help, don't be afraid to ask.

My wife's a cute girl, maybe you could come help her unload everything and I'll direct the flow of traffic from my lazy boy!

Thanks, group_theory!

Let me be the first on the NEW KCUMB Class of 2011 thread to say, "KCUMB Rocks!"

I had the opportunity to speak with drbordercollie on the phone yesterday, and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone else at Orientation or maybe before! Our classmates will make this year a lot of fun.

Good Luck you guys with moving and getting situated in KC!

:thumbup: I can't wait to meet everyone in our class. I think we are gonna have the best class of 2011 out there. Orientation week should be a great chance to get to know one another.

I was in the class of 2006 at KCUMB. Let me know if you have questions or concerns. I could try to help out. I'm now doing peds residency at Children's Mercy in Kansas City and loving it.

I was in the class of 2006 at KCUMB. Let me know if you have questions or concerns. I could try to help out. I'm now doing peds residency at Children's Mercy in Kansas City and loving it.

Congratulations!

How do you like Mercy for your residency? What are the pros and cons?

Did you rotate through Mercy as a student? Where did you do your clinical rotations?

Thanks for answering my questions! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
So when's everyone getting to kc, i'm anxious to meet my future collegues, sounds like move in day at CT might be one of the most stressful of the semester, ha. I think a nice big bbq with the class of 2011 sometime before school starts is the best way to start this new chapter in our lives.

matt b

So when's everyone getting to kc, i'm anxious to meet my future collegues...

I'm planning on driving across to KC, MO from the East Coast sometime the second week of July. I'm completing the final touches on my health clearance and it should be done before then, hopefully. I'm also looking forward to meeting everyone!

I think a nice big bbq with the class of 2011 sometime before school starts is the best way to start this new chapter in our lives.

matt b

Sounds like a good idea. I'd be game for that.

If one of you live at CT (as it seems you do), you can always bbq on the grills outside the building (There are 2 charcoal grills / 4 sides). Just in case one of you doesn't have a grill at their own place, this is always an option.

If one of you live at CT (as it seems you do), you can always bbq on the grills outside the building (There are 2 charcoal grills / 4 sides). Just in case one of you doesn't have a grill at their own place, this is always an option.

bbq is a great idea... however, maybe it would just be easier if we all brought our george formans to my apartment and pretend it's a bbq. all the while, the husband in the lazy boy directing traffic can pour the drinks.

thread is getting funnier... keep up the humor. we are all going to be far beyond jokes very soon!

bbq is a great idea... however, maybe it would just be easier if we all brought our george formans to my apartment and pretend it's a bbq. all the while, the husband in the lazy boy directing traffic can pour the drinks.

thread is getting funnier... keep up the humor. we are all going to be far beyond jokes very soon!

True. There's nothing funny about biochemistry, right?! :laugh:

Who am I kidding? Medical school's going to be roses and rainbows!! ;)

Now that you guys mention it, it will be a pain in the ass to move in on August 1st. The thought never crossed my mind. So would it be better to come a day later? I don't want to do that because I want to spend as much time as I can exploring KC and meeting everyone.

So when's everyone getting to kc, i'm anxious to meet my future collegues, sounds like move in day at CT might be one of the most stressful of the semester, ha. I think a nice big bbq with the class of 2011 sometime before school starts is the best way to start this new chapter in our lives.

matt b

I am planning on driving up from Austin, TX the weekend of July 21st. The drive is only 11-12 hours, so it should only be a day drive. I hope to be settled in KC early that next week. I cannot wait to meet everyone! Happy moving!

Now that you guys mention it, it will be a pain in the ass to move in on August 1st. The thought never crossed my mind. So would it be better to come a day later? I don't want to do that because I want to spend as much time as I can exploring KC and meeting everyone.

Looking at the calender, and knowing when orientation week starts for you all, any of the days will be busy (many like to move on weekends so that they have helpers). Since the 1st falls on a Wed, I don't think it will matter much when you move in. When I moved in, everyone helped everyone. Good way to meet people and to get things moved faster until it was your turn. We always had one person down at the dock to ensure the neighborhood members didn't find themselves new items for their houses. There are large dolleys they have for people to use. That is what really helps. Move in on the 1st if that's what you had planned...like I said, you will meet people that way, and maybe even can make plans for the week / weekend with them before classes get started.

Most of all, relax for the rest of the summer and have fun during orientation week. Don't try to prepare early or anything like that. The year is long enough as it is. There were several of us that were tired and burnt at Christmas and never really got back into the studying fully. You don't want that to happen. Not that I can give you a clue as to how to avoid this point, but throughout the year, don't forget to take time for yourself. Some forget this, and that is one major cause for early burnout.

Ok, enough seriousness here. You all look like this now :D and will look like this in a few months :scared:

True. There's nothing funny about biochemistry, right?! :laugh:

I can probably come up with some nerdy humor, but it will only be because I've stayed up one too many nights reading Lehninger... :laugh:

Didn't you forget about puppy dogs in there somewhere? :laugh:

Who am I kidding? Medical school's going to be roses and rainbows!! ;)

Exactly. Rainbows, bunny rabbits, and puppy dogs. And sweet smelling like roses, especially the gross anatomy lab. :D

You all look like this now :D and will look like this in a few months :scared:

:scared:

Ok, enough seriousness here. You all look like this now :D and will look like this in a few months :scared:

And come the end of 3rd year you will look like this :mad: or depending if you're post call like this :sleep:

I can probably come up with some nerdy humor, but it will only be because I've stayed up one too many nights reading Lehninger... :laugh:

Exactly. Rainbows, bunny rabbits, and puppy dogs. And sweet smelling like roses, especially the gross anatomy lab. :D

:scared:

Awww...come on now! You know the anatomy lab doesn't smell THAT bad! :laugh:

I'll be in KC before the 1st, so if any of you need help carrying stuff in or whatever, don't hesitate to ask!

I'll be in KC before the 1st, so if any of you need help carrying stuff in or whatever, don't hesitate to ask!

Braden, I'll need heeeeelp. :scared:

So can anyone help clarify this for me? I am trying to find out if it is possible to borrow more money than the "maximum amount" listed in our financial Aid packets. I called the FAO yesterday and they said that number is the maximum amount we can borrow through both government and private loans. How can they put a limit on the amount of private loan money we borrow?????

I am already in CT so if anyone is moving up early and needs some help give me a shout....I hope everyone is having a good summer and I'll see you in the fall!

So can anyone help clarify this for me? I am trying to find out if it is possible to borrow more money than the "maximum amount" listed in our financial Aid packets. I called the FAO yesterday and they said that number is the maximum amount we can borrow through both government and private loans. How can they put a limit on the amount of private loan money we borrow?????

They told us this was to limit the amount of debt for our own good. They try for a decent amt to live on and not too much to pay back. Keep in mind you do get $2000 allowed for a computer (only allowed once during the med school years, so if you do it, make sure you can get a 4-yr guarantee). You can also get more money for paying health insurance and for childcare. Those are the things on top of the maximum that I can come up with. Hope this gives you a clue. I don't know what you want the extra money for, but I thought about getting more money to pay off my car loan so that I didn't have to worry about that while in school, but they won't allow more for that type of thing. (Not for paying off credit card debt either.)

They told us this was to limit the amount of debt for our own good. They try for a decent amt to live on and not too much to pay back. Keep in mind you do get $2000 allowed for a computer (only allowed once during the med school years, so if you do it, make sure you can get a 4-yr guarantee). You can also get more money for paying health insurance and for childcare. Those are the things on top of the maximum that I can come up with. Hope this gives you a clue. I don't know what you want the extra money for, but I thought about getting more money to pay off my car loan so that I didn't have to worry about that while in school, but they won't allow more for that type of thing. (Not for paying off credit card debt either.)

I am just trying to figure out how to afford my wife and son while in medical school! It's kind of hard to stretch a budget made for one into a budget for 3!

Sooo...kind of a funny/odd story... A student was driving to CT today and saw a guy laying on the sidewalk with his legs almost in the street. He was going to pull over and check on the guy to see if he was okay when he saw a fellow student already pull over to do the same. Later on, they were talking and the student that checked on the guy apparently had only woke him from a nap and was quite unhappy about it!

My dad told me this today and of course warned me not to help homeless people passed out in the street b/c they might not be so happy to see me. :p So be careful everyone!

I am just trying to figure out how to afford my wife and son while in medical school! It's kind of hard to stretch a budget made for one into a budget for 3!

That's where the babysitting budget helps. Also, some wives end up babysitting (for money!) for those couples that are both in school or who both work. It's a little bit of side money that helps a lot.

So, I got some good info from a current 2nd year at KCUMB. I guess there are a few institutions that will loan you money independent of the school so if you need it, you can always tap into it. It is obviouly baed on your credit score so it doesn't do you much good if your score sucks. However, after some research, you can borrow up to 30,000 a year and it is deffered until after residnecy ends. It's obviously not good to borrow in excess but I think the moral of the story is that my wife can stop freaking out!

So, I got some good info from a current 2nd year at KCUMB. I guess there are a few institutions that will loan you money independent of the school so if you need it, you can always tap into it. It is obviouly baed on your credit score so it doesn't do you much good if your score sucks. However, after some research, you can borrow up to 30,000 a year and it is deffered until after residnecy ends. It's obviously not good to borrow in excess but I think the moral of the story is that my wife can stop freaking out!

Nah I hear ya...the max loan amount isn't even enough to cover their estimated yearly budget of $56,000/yr. Private loans will definitely be utilized...esp. since I'm thinking of doing the MBA track.

Nah I hear ya...the max loan amount isn't even enough to cover their estimated yearly budget of $56,000/yr. Private loans will definitely be utilized...esp. since I'm thinking of doing the MBA track.

I believe for the MBA track you get a seperate loan to cover the cost of that degree as well as living expense during the summer months.

There is some great info about this in the FA forum too. Someone posted once about the Bank of American maximizer loan. Several students agreed that it was a great option. I think that is what I am going to try for. Here is more info if you want to check it out:

BOA Education Maximizer loan

The chase education one loan is basically the exact same loan as the Bank of America Loan. It's reassuring that there are options out there if you absolutely need it.

I thought the max loan amount was around $56,000??

I believe this is for the DO only route. If one takes the DO/MBA dual degree route, the max loan will be increased to supplement the added costs associated with the second degree.

The total max is around 56,000. Subtract tuition, and that gives you your living expenses amount. (56000-40000 (can't remember exact tuition amt with all the fees included) =16000 / 9 months = ~1775/ month) Should work out to be around 1300/ month for 12 months. If you do the MBA you will get the extra money for tuition. I'm not sure about summer living expenses, but they should be covered as well because you should still be considered a full-time student. I know some people don't take out the max, but most of these have parents who help them with different bills or they had saved money from jobs they had before med school. I took out the max (it was less last year I think) and I still had money for the month of June. However, I didn't go to any conferences or fly anywhere throughout the year. I also live with a roommate, so that cuts down on rent, allowing extra money for fun activities. I was also able to pay off a large chunk I owed on my credit card. Granted, you won't have as much time to bargain-shop for groceries. For me, it was easier to just go to one place and get it all at that time rather than trying to hit the sales. It comes down to how much you think your time is worth. Many of us got jobs for the summer to earn money since we don't get a check until late Aug to mid Sept in the 2nd year. Costco, Walmart, Price Chopper, and HyVee are the most common stores you hear about people frequenting for groceries. Some others are SunFresh and Apple Market. Costco does require an annual membership fee, so if you won't be shopping in bulk too often, you probably won't want to spend money on that.

IMHO, btw, I don't think the MBA would help me at all. I also never plan to run my own practice, but from what others have said about it, it wasn't worth it for me to have the added exams or stress. For some of you, it may be a great thing, and I am not trying to change your opinion about wanting do get a dual degree. Keep in mind you do give up your last free summer too. I personally didn't like that option either. You will also have to stay in KC for your 3rd and 4th year rotations. Just a few things to remember before getting set on doing the program.

Also, FOM is different from every other section you will ever be in. If you find yourself frustrated and feel that none of the info has any links, you are right. It is random info they want everyone to know before starting the rest of the year. Keep in mind the frustration will end after that section (most who hated that section liked the organization of the rest of the sections). Another idea to keep in mind is that passing is most important. Whether you get an A, B, or C of any kind, passing is passing. I would also make the suggestion to never share your grade with anyone, even your best friends in class. Many don't even tell their spouses their exact grades, they just say 'I passed' and leave it at that. That's really all that matters, and it keeps the competitiveness out of it, allowing friends to be friends and help each other out. Remember you are all in it together and give each other support. If you find a friend slipping, help them get back up to ensure they pass the sections.

Back to the DOMBA....If DOMBA is ok for you, go for it and great for you for being able to handle it all. I tend to be selfish in that I like my free time when I get it, that's basically all it comes down to.

IMHO, btw, I don't think the MBA would help me at all. I also never plan to run my own practice, but from what others have said about it, it wasn't worth it for me to have the added exams or stress. For some of you, it may be a great thing, and I am not trying to change your opinion about wanting do get a dual degree. Keep in mind you do give up your last free summer too. I personally didn't like that option either. You will also have to stay in KC for your 3rd and 4th year rotations. Just a few things to remember before getting set on doing the program.

Also, FOM is different from every other section you will ever be in. If you find yourself frustrated and feel that none of the info has any links, you are right. It is random info they want everyone to know before starting the rest of the year. Keep in mind the frustration will end after that section (most who hated that section liked the organization of the rest of the sections). Another idea to keep in mind is that passing is most important. Whether you get an A, B, or C of any kind, passing is passing. I would also make the suggestion to never share your grade with anyone, even your best friends in class. Many don't even tell their spouses their exact grades, they just say 'I passed' and leave it at that. That's really all that matters, and it keeps the competitiveness out of it, allowing friends to be friends and help each other out. Remember you are all in it together and give each other support. If you find a friend slipping, help them get back up to ensure they pass the sections.

Back to the DOMBA....If DOMBA is ok for you, go for it and great for you for being able to handle it all. I tend to be selfish in that I like my free time when I get it, that's basically all it comes down to.

Do you feel that FOM is one of the harder sections just because it's boring/random or is it actually hard material?

Do you feel that FOM is one of the harder sections just because it's boring/random or is it actually hard material?

Because it's a TON of boring/random material and because you are still trying to adjust to the pace of med school.

This thread has really died down. What happened?

I know there was talk about us 2011ers meeting up before orientation week. Are we still planning on doing that?

I think meeting up before orientation is a great idea. I'm in!

If anyone is interested, the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure 5K run/walk is August 12. Its a great course. Hope to see you there!

KC Race for the Cure

If anyone is interested, the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure 5K run/walk is August 12. Its a great course. Hope to see you there!

KC Race for the Cure

Sounds like fun. However, I think I'm sadly out of shape for something like a 5K run. I'll take a look at it; maybe I'll be able to train up before then. :)

This thread has really died down. What happened?

I've been somewhat busy getting ready to make the huge move over and other administrative stuff. Anybody receive their award letter yet? When should we expect it?

I know there was talk about us 2011ers meeting up before orientation week. Are we still planning on doing that?

I'm in! I'll be settled into KC by the end of the 2nd week of July, if not sooner.

I'll be moving up the middle of July so I'm definitely up for something.