The New School for Social Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spillsomepaint

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/experiences with the New School for Social Research in NYC. I am an undergrad right now and I am applying their as I think it is an excellent fit, but I wanted to get some other opinions on it. Did any of you apply their? Any experiences?
I know that with their program you can't directly apply to get your Ph.D so it's the only master's program I'm applying to, but they only accept New School masters students to their doctoral programs.
Also here are my creds:
overall gpa: 3.48 major gpa: 3.78 junior/senior gpa: 3.98
I got a 500 on both the verbal and quantitative GRE.
I have 8 monthes in a research lab, and have been interning for over a year now at a community mental health clinic doing intake assessments.
Do I have a chance in your opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Since it's obvi I am a noob here, can you explain to the whole closing to me.
Since they are different forums, won't different people be checking them? Does this make sense?

And thanks for the GRE advice. I know 500 is on the low side, but I was hoping that my GPA, and rec letters would speak highly of me. I am a horrible standardized test taker. Also since it's a MA program I was hoping it would be easier to get in with those scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since they are different forums, won't different people be checking them? Does this make sense?
..making sense?...um..not really. Can you please rephrase the question?

It is just an SDN policy, partly to keep discussions together for others looking for similar answers, and also to cut down on clutter. I'm sure there are other reasons, but those are the two I most subscribe to. :D

And thanks for the GRE advice. I know 500 is on the low side, but I was hoping that my GPA, and rec letters would speak highly of me. I am a horrible standardized test taker. Also since it's a MA program I was hoping it would be easier to get in with those scores.

I don't think they will prohibit you from getting into an MA program, it would just help, if you have the time to do them again.

-t

Well, first of all, this response is rather late but it might be helpful for future inquiries.

The New School admits students through the MA in General Psychology Program, within which you have the option to specialize in Mental Health and Substance Abuse Counseling or go the Research Master's route and complete a thesis.
In order to be considered to continue for the PhD program, the student must graduate the MA with a min 3.50 GPA, submit a separate application (personal statement and such) and have participated in the faculties' research labs. Admission at the MA level is super easy... they basically admit a HUGE MA-level class of about 70 students and then choose 15 to continue to PhD. If you work hard at the MA level, you're chances of getting to PhD are good provided that you obtain a GPA of at least 3.70 GPA (even though the min is 3.50), join at least one research lab and are active in the program. The MA level is SUPER SUPER competitive/cut throat.... just a warning to the faint-hearted.

At the PhD level, you can apply to either the Clinical Psych PhD or the Cognitive, Social & Developmental Psych program. The Clinical Psych program (which I am in) offers 1st and 2nd year practicum at NYC's Beth Isreal Medical Center (which is great hospital). And final year internships run on the National Matching system like all other programs.

Funding at New School SUCKS! At the MA level, no funding is available, but some students do get partial scholarships (I got this at MA level), and there are R.A. and T.A. positions readily available to those who ask. In terms of PhD Level, only 4-5 full scholarships/fellowships are available to the 15 students of the incoming class and the rest might get partial scholarships/or nothing at all. External funding is essential. On a positive note, the faculty & research labs are amazing, with really cutting edge progressive topics. All final year Clinical PhD interships are paid.

Hope this info helps someone, sometime :)

This thread is from years ago but....... someone mentioned that the masters program in psychology is cut throat/competitive. Can anyone say more about this?

This thread is from years ago but....... someone mentioned that the masters program in psychology is cut throat/competitive. Can anyone say more about this?

I earned my research MA there and am now in a PhD program at another school. PM me if you have any questions.

Not sure how to pm.......I am in the process of figuring that out. Thanks for offering to talk to me about this. I would love to hear about your experience in the program. Let me know if you can help me figure out this pm business...

I would also like to know more about the program. I got recently accepted in the M.A. in psychology with a 15% merit-based scholarship but I can't afford the rest of the tuition. My GPA is 3.5 and my GRE scores are embarrassing. I have asked for Teaching assistantships, but haven't heard any news so far. As an International student I don't know if I am eligible. Would you recommend applying again? Thank you all!

I know you said your GRE scores are embarrasing, but would you mind sharing? im just curious as to the GRE scores of already accepted students, plus this is anonomous:)