The non-interview or competitive sub-specialty related IM thread (or also the vent thread)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll be back to this thread later. I promise.

In the mean time I'd like to leave a little helpful advice . . . just because EPIC will let you pull it into your note, doesn't mean you should. Are you guys trying to make baby Jesus cry or what?

Word. Also...let's do away with "copy previous note." Our BMT service is staffed by midlevels (because we don't have enough fellows to staff it, residents don't rotate on it and it's just generally a miserable place to spend your life...but I digress), and with the exception of the 24h events and daily labs and imaging, the notes don't generally change much from HD#1 to HD #57. It's embarassing to the division and useless to consultants. But it keeps the coders and billers happy, so they keep doing it.

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/06/opinion/why-selling-kidneys-should-be-legal.html?hp

What do you guys think of this modest proposal? Seems to open up talk about lots of ethical issues.

**** yeah you should be able to sell your kidney. It's your effin' kidney! Saying it targets the disadvantaged is insulting to those groups it pretends to to try and protect. If you want to make the case that one should have a certain cognitive level and of a certain age to sell one, I'd be ok with. But my kidney is my kidney. If I can give one away, I should be able to sell it.

Interesting website about a man who was asked to choose between his collection of suits & an incredibly hot blonde girl:

http://vimeo.com/29779209

LOL...I think you mistyped. Vimeo is a place to upload videos, not a website about a man with a conundrum. Thanks for the link.:thumbup: I love vimeo but searching the site for the good stuff is a little cumbersome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any serious thoughts on Ron Paul? He has remained virtually untarnished through the debates. He is projected to do well in Iowa and, with the recent changes in the Republican caucuses (no longer all or nothing), he could make a come from behind surge late in the Republican primaries.

He appears to be one of the few remaining statesmen...he stands firm on his beliefs (did not accept Medicare as a physician because he disagreed with the principle of the entitlement programs) for better or worse. He is libertarian more than he is republican, so Dems and Republicans may find enough to like aout the guy if they scratch the surface. Granted, dismantling the entitlement programs is going to be a tough sell to the American people and I'm anxious to see how he approaches this topic when people actually start listening to him.

I'm a big Ron Paul fan. The biggest part of the appeal is that he's the same guy today as he was back in the 80s. He's still on message, not flip flopping around like our current president and rest of the republican candidates. It's also been interesting how the MSM does their best to either ignore him, or downplay his chances . . . which is becoming increasingly difficult to do (heh).

Right now we're all on a bus that is called the "american experiment" and it's on fire and heading straight for the edge of a cliff due to short-sighted, and largely well meaning at best, and malignant at worst policies started in the time of Woodrow Wilson and continued by essentially every other president up until today (mostly corporate control of the government and foreign wars). Just having his as president wouldn't necessarily stop the bus, but at least then I'd think we might, maybe, have a small chance.

There is just simply no way he'd be able to stop government programs, even if he's against them in principle. He couldn't for instance get into office and stop social security the next day. So arguments to that end are strawmen and irrelevant.

You want to end foreign wars? Ron Paul. You tired of fiscal and monetary policy coming form the FED and the treasury (some banks got in trouble and all I got was this lousy t-shirt inflation) Ron Paul.

long-time lurker, first-time poster.

Best Comedy TV Shows

1. HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER - great sitcom on CBS about a group of friends living in NYC throughout their mid-late 20s / early 30s. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this shows is better than Friends. :eek: It has everything Friends had (funny and amazing plots revolved around friendship, marriage, relationships, hook-ups, bad life-decisions, etc.) plus NPH and all his glory. It's currently in the 7th season, but you can easily catch up with several marathon series -- each episode is only 20 min. I was so surprised to meet pple on the interview trail this year who haven't watched this show yet. Highly highly recommend.

2. MODERN FAMILY - mockumentary about a control-freak-wife + her non-type-A-personality husband + their 3 kids, a gay couple with 1 adopted kid, and an old man married to Sofia Vergara :))). The humor is cleaner than HIMYM, but still pretty hilarious. Currently in the 3rd season. Highly recommend.

3. NEW GIRL - two words: Zooey Deschanel. Nuff said. Recommend.

I'm so over Zooey Dschanel. Your other listed shows are a little too obvious.

Archived "2 and a half men" <--- this is still one of the funniest shows in the past 5 years. (Pre Kutcher era though). I occassionally get a laugh out of "Big bang theory" and I've heard good things "It's always sunny in philadelphia."

Am I the only old guy on this forum!?!? lol ... How many of you love High Strung?!

There have to be more people than dolor21 and myself who search the web. Post up interesting websites.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

www.drudgereport.com (you said no news, but I like it for a quick snap-shot of "in the news" headlines)

www.antiwar.com (I think Raimondo's editorials are the shizznit)

www.dissidentvoice.org (sometimes the editorials here go way the **** out of the left field, but I still like it)

www.lewrockwell.com

www.dailyreckoning.com

www.rigint.blogspot.com (A blog by canadian writer Jeff Wells - he doesn't update like he used to, but if you want to spend a few hours going "WTF?! Is that documented?! Holy sheet. It is. Huh." Scroll down the right side to the "deep politics" section, read it, it's my favorite)

Word. Also...let's do away with "copy previous note." Our BMT service is staffed by midlevels (because we don't have enough fellows to staff it, residents don't rotate on it and it's just generally a miserable place to spend your life...but I digress), and with the exception of the 24h events and daily labs and imaging, the notes don't generally change much from HD#1 to HD #57. It's embarassing to the division and useless to consultants. But it keeps the coders and billers happy, so they keep doing it.

I find myself at the U next month. Doing consults. About half of which come from BMT service, staffed by the NPs, who's I'm sure are fine at the bread and butter, but they consult the **** out of everything. Ugh. Oh well. Lots of bronchs.

I'm so over Zooey Dschanel. Your other listed shows are a little too obvious.

Archived "2 and a half men" <--- this is still one of the funniest shows in the past 5 years. (Pre Kutcher era though). I occassionally get a laugh out of "Big bang theory" and I've heard good things "It's always sunny in philadelphia."

It's always sunny in philly has it's moments. I mean there have been a few shows that had me laughing so hard I couldn't get my breath. But I get tired of shows about idiots after awhile.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a big Ron Paul fan. The biggest part of the appeal is that he's the same guy today as he was back in the 80s. He's still on message, not flip flopping around like our current president and rest of the republican candidates. It's also been interesting how the MSM does their best to either ignore him, or downplay his chances . . . which is becoming increasingly difficult to do (heh).

Right now we're all on a bus that is called the "american experiment" and it's on fire and heading straight for the edge of a cliff due to short-sighted, and largely well meaning at best, and malignant at worst policies started in the time of Woodrow Wilson and continued by essentially every other president up until today (mostly corporate control of the government and foreign wars). Just having his as president wouldn't necessarily stop the bus, but at least then I'd think we might, maybe, have a small chance.

There is just simply no way he'd be able to stop government programs, even if he's against them in principle. He couldn't for instance get into office and stop social security the next day. So arguments to that end are strawmen and irrelevant.

You want to end foreign wars? Ron Paul. You tired of fiscal and monetary policy coming form the FED and the treasury (some banks got in trouble and all I got was this lousy t-shirt inflation) Ron Paul.

Yeah, I'm really coming around to Ron Paul. I started to take note of him 4 years ago and I'm really struck by his sincerity.

My pops has this blind allegiance to Obama that I just don't understand...his biggest reason seems to be how much he hated to "GW Bush era" and by extension the entire Republican party.

I am so disappointed with Obama and his handling of the financial crisis...but before you say the economy is out of the president's hands...let me explain. When the crisis hit, it wasn't entirely clear how far reaching the crisis would be. But over time it became clear that the smoking gun was the unregulated practices of Wall street. When the government bail out became much more likely, we really only heard about the big 3 in Detroit...but they comprised a very small portion of the eventual "$700 billion" that was to be distributed. Some of the biggest borrowers ended up being the banks...the f@ck!ng banks!!! Bank of America, Citibank (each took almost $100 billion), and all the other too big to fail banks. This kept funds from reaching the smaller banks and the rest of the economy.

My biggest frustration though, was that Wall street was bailed out and none of the money was distributed to help the rest of the economy. $700 could have rebuilt our crumbling infrastructure (roads, bridges, ports, water lines, etc) and we could have let the markets and capitalism sort out Chrysler, GM, and the big banks...I mean isn't that the point of a free market? LOL.

Lastly, no serious investigation or regulation of Wall street has followed what is in my opionion the greatest organized crime of the last 30 years. WTF??? There more investigations of Enron than there were into the "Great Recession." Possibly because what we learn would be much more shocking than what we know?

I think whoever the Republican nominee turns out to be is going to give a "pink sock" to Obama once the presidential debates start re: the handling of the financial crisis.

www.drudgereport.com (you said no news, but I like it for a quick snap-shot of "in the news" headlines)

www.antiwar.com (I think Raimondo's editorials are the shizznit)

www.dissidentvoice.org (sometimes the editorials here go way the **** out of the left field, but I still like it)

www.lewrockwell.com

www.dailyreckoning.com

www.rigint.blogspot.com (A blog by canadian writer Jeff Wells - he doesn't update like he used to, but if you want to spend a few hours going "WTF?! Is that documented?! Holy sheet. It is. Huh." Scroll down the right side to the "deep politics" section, read it, it's my favorite)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

LOL...I think you mistyped. Vimeo is a place to upload videos, not a website about a man with a conundrum. Thanks for the link.:thumbup: I love vimeo but searching the site for the good stuff is a little cumbersome.

Haha yeah, I mistyped. Vimeo is not a great place to watch videos (the link I posted was one of the first links that popped up on my Google search for this particular movie clip); YouTube is so much better.

Last edited:
Btw anybody recommend a new show to get into till my Favorite Show (The Walking Dead on a mid season hiatus till Feb) comes back?

And for the individuals who have not seen the show please start watching now! The First Season on Blu-Ray is a delicious visual appetite.

If you have Netflix, season 2 and 3 of RuPaul's Drag Race is f*cking hysterical. Honestly, it's the best reality show on television

I just watched a documentary on Netflix called "Blue Gold" about the coming water shortage. Not the best doc I've watched lately, but thought provoking nonetheless.

The UN has predicted that the next great conflict may occur over water and water conflicts have been well documented:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_conflict

And i remember reading this article about how Texas is predicted to run out of water based on modeling of current water tables and the crumbling infrastructure:
http://www.texasmonthly.com/preview/2008-02-01/feature3
(unfortunately you have to be a subscriber to access the full article).

I believe the coming "water shortages" will be similar to the predicted "oil shortages." If you have money, you will always be able to drive your 10 cylinder BMW M5 and always be able to water your golf course in Scottsdale AZ. Similar to mining oil from the shale sands in the arctic circle...industry will find a way to desalinize the seas at an "affordable" price.

The irony is that large corporations like Nestle are coming into local communities and siphoning off millions of gallons of municipal ground water (200 gal/min) only to sell it back to them on stores shelves at 1000x the cost.

The great lakes are a sitting duck.

Last edited:
I'm a big Ron Paul fan. The biggest part of the appeal is that he's the same guy today as he was back in the 80s. He's still on message, not flip flopping around like our current president and rest of the republican candidates. It's also been interesting how the MSM does their best to either ignore him, or downplay his chances . . . which is becoming increasingly difficult to do (heh)...

By that reasoning, is it same to assume that you're a Nader fan as well? The problem I have with Ron Paul is that he doesn't seem to truly grasp the concept that we're living in the globalization era. You can't be president and pretend we're isolated and living in the pre-industrial world.

For sure, U.S. foreign policy has historically been more of a disaster than a success especially in the recent past, but I view Ron Paul as being on the other extreme of Bush. While any logical person would think that could only be a good thing, Ron Paul kind of proves that isn't always the case. I agree with some of his foreign policy points maybe even most, but he takes it to the extreme and no general electorate is going to feel comfortable with what could aptly be described as radicalism. If your views are considered radical by the GOP, then you know you've got issues.

Ending U.S. led wars and reducing U.S. military presence abroad? Can't see how this could really ever be a bad thing. Money saved and fewer reasons for people to hate us.

Cutting all foreign aid and withdrawing from the WTO and the United Nations? Craaaaazy.

I have no good site or book suggestions off the top of my head. About the only non-news show I can tolerate on TV these days is Tosh.0. The videos can be funny but the commentary is priceless. It can be hit-or-miss but at least it spares me the nauseating, cheesy sentimentality in most sitcoms. Everything else just feels like a waste of time. The puke videos are getting old though.

I did recently catch this cool documentary called "20 Seconds of Joy" about a female Norwegian BASE jumper. The locales were insane. I can't believe people can actually make a comfortable living traveling around the world to do that.

By that reasoning, is it same to assume that you're a Nader fan as well? The problem I have with Ron Paul is that he doesn't seem to truly grasp the concept that we're living in the globalization era. You can't be president and pretend we're isolated and living in the pre-industrial world.

Actually I've always appreciated Nader, because I think he's honest and consistent. I'd vote for him before any of the jokers current running outside of RP

For sure, U.S. foreign policy has historically been more of a disaster than a success especially in the recent past, but I view Ron Paul as being on the other extreme of Bush. While any logical person would think that could only be a good thing, Ron Paul kind of proves that isn't always the case. I agree with some of his foreign policy points maybe even most, but he takes it to the extreme and no general electorate is going to feel comfortable with what could aptly be described as radicalism. If your views are considered radical by the GOP, then you know you've got issues.

Ending U.S. led wars and reducing U.S. military presence abroad? Can't see how this could really ever be a bad thing. Money saved and fewer reasons for people to hate us.

Cutting all foreign aid and withdrawing from the WTO and the United Nations? Craaaaazy.

How has foreign aid, the WTO, or the UN helped this country? You think it's crazy to stop our involvement with those things. Why? If it's so crazy, perhaps you will be able to demonstrate why it's crazy by showing me how we've benefited.

I have no good site or book suggestions off the top of my head. About the only non-news show I can tolerate on TV these days is Tosh.0. The videos can be funny but the commentary is priceless. It can be hit-or-miss but at least it spares me the nauseating, cheesy sentimentality in most sitcoms. Everything else just feels like a waste of time. The puke videos are getting old though.

Suggesting Tosh.0 (a idiotic show about web videos of people doing idiotic things) after having made a public declaring of your loss of respect for me about drudgereport (a website linking to real news stories) is the most ironic thing I've seen in a long time on these forums.

I suppose you like whipeout too. :laugh:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/12/universe-size/

the size of the universe . . . I think Douglas Adams said it best though . . .

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space. ~ The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Honestly, I'm impressed that many on this thread still actively seek out "real" news stories. It's quite refreshing as many physicans and student-doctors I've come across consider perusing the trivial Yahoo news stories as, well, being informed (note: guilty myself of getting lured by the goddamn pictures for these articles). I only seek out political/policy related stories pertaining to where healthcare in our country is headed and how this will impact the next 50+ years of my life. Selfish, I know. But I guess I'm old fashioned in that I still believe that bright, talented and compassionate medical professionals who feel well compensated and appreciated can do phenomenal things for people.

Stupid, I know. (*step* *step* *step* as gets off of soapbox)

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/12/universe-size/

the size of the universe . . . I think Douglas Adams said it best though . . .

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space. ~ The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I watched some freaky stuff on NOVA last night on their "Fabric of the cosmos" series. One thing that stood out in particular was new revelations about Black holes...there is a new theory that matter is destroyed as it enters a black hole, but all of the information is retained on the surface in 2D. As a result, many astrophysicists are starting to believe that 2D is the actual representation and the 3D that we see is merely a hologram of the universe.

It got really hard to follow, but truly fascinating....starts at 47:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy9gXKwRpXc&feature=related

Also good stuff here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eZqQUdWURs&feature=related

And here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp3_cPRQSh0&feature=related

NOVA is the bomb.:thumbup:

Honestly, I'm impressed that many on this thread still actively seek out "real" news stories. It's quite refreshing as many physicans and student-doctors I've come across consider perusing the trivial Yahoo news stories as, well, being informed (note: guilty myself of getting lured by the goddamn pictures for these articles). I only seek out political/policy related stories pertaining to where healthcare in our country is headed and how this will impact the next 50+ years of my life. Selfish, I know. But I guess I'm old fashioned in that I still believe that bright, talented and compassionate medical professionals who feel well compensated and appreciated can do phenomenal things for people.

Stupid, I know. (*step* *step* *step* as gets off of soapbox)

All my news comes from NPR...for better or worse. I just can't be bothered to watch news on TV anymore (I canceled cable TV because it was a time vacuum) and I really only read tech news. So news of the world, the economy, etc I get from NPR.

Last edited:
forums.anandtech.com for all the techies out there. The Hot Deals thread is MONEY.

To BlackNDecker: RESPECT

In other random news... CP3 TO LAKERS! WAAAT?!

forums.anandtech.com for all the techies out there. The Hot Deals thread is MONEY.

Deal vetoed. I hope the lakers get D Howard if the Bulls can't snag him.

Best Book (Series)=Harry Potter!! :D

Anandtech is the bomb, and their news spinoff...dailytech, is my main news website. Unfortunately the comments after each article quickly disintegrate into absurd arguments, but there is usually more to learn from the comments than the article.:thumbup:

Our America with Lisa Ling. If you can get over the fact that you are watching the OWN network (everything else about it is unholy), it's a pretty intense show.

Documentaries have included Sex Offenders, Heroin Addicts, Sex Trafficking, Amateur
Porn, and Wounds of War

Our America with Lisa Ling. If you can get over the fact that you are watching the OWN network (everything else about it is unholy), it's a pretty intense show.

Documentaries have included Sex Offenders, Heroin Addicts, Sex Trafficking, Amateur
Porn, and Wounds of War

Wow.. didn't mean to make such a similar username. My b.

Deal vetoed. I hope the lakers get D Howard if the Bulls can't snag him.

Best Book (Series)=Harry Potter!! :D

It will end up going through. They will get Howard too. I just hope Orlando gets decent players in return.

no way deal ends up going through, and while cp3 has been pretty phenomenal, his body has taken a huge beating and the end is nearer than you'd think for his production. Kinda like pujols.

stieg larsson trilogy >>>>>>> harry potter (caveat: age less than 16)

It will end up going through. They will get Howard too. I just hope Orlando gets decent players in return.

If that did happen, they would have a legit big 3 in comparison to the 2 and 1/2 men in Miami :smuggrin:

no way deal ends up going through, and while cp3 has been pretty phenomenal, his body has taken a huge beating and the end is nearer than you'd think for his production. Kinda like pujols.

stieg larsson trilogy >>>>>>> harry potter (caveat: age less than 16)

I am definitely going to check out stieg larsson. You better live up to your words :D

One of my favorite books of all time is Paul Auster's New York Trilogy. Also highly recommended read.

Anyone like contemporary, post-modern adult fiction? Charcter driven stuff?\

Just finished White Teeth by Zadie Smith and it's awesome . . . if you like that kind of book (Also check out Autograph Man by her)

I hate to snob out on fiction, but I just do. I know it makes me a little bit of a bad person, but we can't all be perfect. Can't say fairer than that! ;)