The non-interview or competitive sub-specialty related IM thread (or also the vent thread)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BND, thank you so very much for making my life miserable for the past day!! I have exhausted all my googling abilities to no avail ....

You must have provided the wrong protagonist's name ... It cannot be (dark) ... Not in this life -_-

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm...I have to remember the name of this movie duology or trilogy. Unfortunately I lost contact with the former roommate and I do not "facebook" so looks like I'm SOL until I come across the movie accidentally.

BTW, thanks for looking:thumbup:

No problem! i am sad I couldn't find this trilogy, but googling (film set in LA, with a mural of a guy blowing his brains out) is not exactly helpful :D

Members don't see this ad :)
LMAO...I can imagine. It's like every other day that somebody "blows their brains out" on a "film set in LA".

If anything, I cant think of any film set in LA that doesnt involve a mural of a guy blowing his brains out. : ))

the North Korean a**hole is dead!! nothing beats the news of the death of a major a**hole!!

Men, Women, Children and Infants serve time in this ultimate dungeon.

In preparation for the World Festival of Youth and Students in 1989, Kim Jong Il had disabled residents removed from Pyongyang. The government also distributed pamphlets advertising a wonder drug that would increase the height of short people. Those who responded to the pamphlets were sent away to different uninhabited islands along with the disabled in an attempt to rid the next generation of their supposedly substandard genes.

Taco bell has me on the fritz tonight. Just thought I'd share.

I just started reading Game of Thrones. LEGIT!

Me. Not that I have anything better to do :D

Members don't see this ad :)
We can't let this thread die!! Any predictions on the National championship game?

Better yet, since I've had three people email me this already...

http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/05/smallbusiness/doctors_broke/index.htm?hpt=hp_t3&hpt=hp_c2

Doctors going broke. Discuss.

Most of that is because one of the biggest distortion in the "free market", as such a thing even exists, is medicine. Government and insurance companies set up a system where physicians can make out like bandits, taking the person getting the services out of the way, and then, for teh lawlz, both the government and insurance decide to stop paying as much as they have.

haha

owned

lawl

It doesn't help much that physicians aren't necessarily business people.

The days of the solo practice are quickly coming to an end. And it's sad. We shall all be employees soon enough. Well compensated, but employees none the less, making significantly less than our predecessors. FML. Which is probably why I'll try and work as little as humanly possible going forward . . . what's the point?

The basic equation is:

jd.jpg

And as such, if I am unable to acquire currency in an unrestrained fashion, I'm no longer sure what to do about females . . .

The existential angst on this topic is tough for a G.

Freaking rounding with my amazingly ridiculous asshat of an attending right now. The whole time I'm like, "what the deal with this guy anyway?". And all I had to do was make it 4 days. The last four days have been four of the longest of my life. It's really unfortunate this guy is kind of a "big deal". ****ing politics.

So it seems the Tigers just signed Prince Fielder 9 year, $214 million!

Not really a big baseball fan, but wtf is up with these ridiculous contracts. I don't get the American public. Whine about doctors who save lives get paid to much, but are fine with some fat pudge getting paid millions to hit a ball. Unfreakingbelieveable!

...I've seen this forum go from dead as dead, barely any action even during interview seasons, and expand from there over the years. Hard to hold onto any regulars. I don't know if that makes me lame or mentally unstable for continuing to post in here regularly. While we do get the occasional "pop-back-in" usually to flame someone for daring to say anything even remotely negative about a residency program.

I tried starting a clinic thread a few years ago. No real dice.

Even case based thread die very soon.

Is it that IM people are just that ****ing lame in general? I know certain personalities tend to self-select off into varying specialties, and maybe some of those personalities tend to post more on forums than others. I mean look at the anesthesia and EM forums, they talk about all kinds of stuff from politics to finance to guns. Am I really nuts for wondering why we can't have that kind of community in here too?

Maybe it's just the existential angst getting to me again.

I told ya. Is it safe to prounounce this thread yet? Whoever said that the IM forum was a barren wasteland was right. Oh well, you deserve credit for trying.

When I came across this I immediately thought of the future possible application purposes but then realized I would just be ripping off your signature move. Still I would've liked a nice juicy thread to place this.

When I came across this I immediately thought of the future possible application purposes but then realized I would just be ripping off your signature move. Still I would've liked a nice juicy thread to place this.

I wish you were my resident working for me (if you are still a resident that is) :laugh:

I wish you were my resident working for me (if you are still a resident that is) :laugh:

Yes, unfortunately I still am and I've just begun. It's always nice to see there are, in fact, people in IM with a sense of humor. It's easy to forget sometimes when you're surrounded by what seems like some of the most staid people on earth. Most of the time I feel like my personality is definitely not suited to IM but it's what interests me. Well, not IM per se but rather a subspecialty.

I left work today at 4PM. It was still light outside. I cried a little.

I left at 3...it was sunny (it rained like a mofo all day)...I'm sitting outside drinking beer right now.

All 4 of the patients I was supposed to see in clinic in the afternoon no-showed...one went on hospice instead, 2 were inpatient and one got the day of her appointment wrong. Nice way to end the day, but it's a good thing I'm not buying groceries with RVUs.

I left at 3...it was sunny (it rained like a mofo all day)...I'm sitting outside drinking beer right now.

All 4 of the patients I was supposed to see in clinic in the afternoon no-showed...one went on hospice instead, 2 were inpatient and one got the day of her appointment wrong. Nice way to end the day, but it's a good thing I'm not buying groceries with RVUs.

nice

On an unrelated note, I gots a vacation to plan after taking Step 3. Any unusual ideas? Criteria: sunny, warm, ideally not bank-breaking,preferably non-domestic

And here I keep thinking a fellow's life is better...

or so I told myself when I left post micu call yesterday (but yes, it was sunny).

The fellows where I did residency had. it. made. A couple residents on all sub-specialty services. Where I am now they feel it's valuable to my education to be doing all the consults myself - and in some ways they are correct, you probably do retain a more if you have to do all the work yourself.

Either way, I think the first year of any GI (especially if you have a liver service), cards (especially if you have a heart failure service), Renal, or Pulm/Crit (and many H/O) fellowships are going to be pretty damn busy.

Unit months are nicer though. I'm around to "supervise" but I don't write notes and I can usually dip out about 5 o'clock, and show up to work 30 minutes before rounds.

On an unrelated note, I gots a vacation to plan after taking Step 3. Any unusual ideas? Criteria: sunny, warm, ideally not bank-breaking,preferably non-domestic

non-domestic? and not-bank breaking?

you can usually find some decent package deals (including airfare) on many of the mexican resorts for around a grand, sometimes less

it still costs you more when you're down there to do things like scuba dive, but you can often find spots that are all you can eat/drink. though if you can't the dollar is still decent down there.

You can sometimes find similar deals into costa rica - go pacific coast though, not carib

Puerto Rico? Semi-domestic. Warm, beautiful, can be done on the relative cheap, short flight from anywhere on the East Coast/SE.

I would do an all-inclusive package for someplace like Cabo. You can get really good deals on line. I guess my line of thinking may change if you are taking a SO or going with friends. But Mexico seems to have fought off the drug lords off of the 5 star beaches ;)

I would do an all-inclusive package for someplace like Cabo. You can get really good deals on line. I guess my line of thinking may change if you are taking a SO or going with friends. But Mexico seems to have fought off the drug lords off of the 5 star beaches ;)

If I recall correctly the cartels probably actually end up owning many of the resorts anyway, and they like making that money!

Puerto Rico? Semi-domestic. Warm, beautiful, can be done on the relative cheap, short flight from anywhere on the East Coast/SE.

I second that. You can get pretty good deals on really nice hotels at Hotwire. They have a bunch of outdoor activities, ranging from super relaxing to hardcore adventure. Good food, too.

Just saw the pre-liminary schedule for next year . . . nothing clinical until February

Nobody ever believes me when I say 2nd year of fellowship (unless you're in GI or Cards in which case you're pretty much hosed until you graduate...but you knew that) is a hojillion times better than first year (which is basically your second chance to be an intern).

But it's true, right?

is the first year of the fellowship similar in brutality to internship? hmmm interesting!

is the first year of the fellowship similar in brutality to internship? hmmm interesting!

Varies from specialty to specialty and site to site. But yes, my first year of fellowship sucked almost as hard as intern year. What it lacked in 30 hour in-house calls, was made up for by 24/7 home call a week at a time and having to manage inpatient and consult services single-handedly (no residents, a moderately ******ed NP...since fired...attendings off in clinic or the lab, etc).

Nobody ever believes me when I say 2nd year of fellowship (unless you're in GI or Cards in which case you're pretty much hosed until you graduate...but you knew that) is a hojillion times better than first year (which is basically your second chance to be an intern).

But it's true, right?

Sooooooooooo, true.

another weekend off and I didn't even have to blow anyone to get it

sleep in . . . to 7:30, make french press coffee, have lox on a bagel, and read the news

I'm getting old

What I need is an adventure with some young lady(ies) - the kind I can't even have a proper conversation with anymore because I don't have anything in common with them any longer because I'm so old, but I don't really care because they look really good in a skirt, in a dress, in a bikini, in jeans, naked, whatever.

Is this a mid-life crisis?

I think I'm too young for a midlife crisis. I definitely can't buy the convertible.

another weekend off and I didn't even have to blow anyone to get it

sleep in . . . to 7:30, make french press coffee, have lox on a bagel, and read the news

I'm getting old

What I need is an adventure with some young lady(ies) - the kind I can't even have a proper conversation with anymore because I don't have anything in common with them any longer because I'm so old, but I don't really care because they look really good in a skirt, in a dress, in a bikini, in jeans, naked, whatever.

Is this a mid-life crisis?

I think I'm too young for a midlife crisis. I definitely can't buy the convertible.

You've got to find where the young professional ladies hang out in your city - If your program is in the same city as a good undergrad or two, I'd recommend law/mba students/recent grads - typically smart enough that you can have an actual conversation with them.

everyone will be leaving us soon

things will pick up in here around match time - someone will think it's a good idea to post where people match with stats - and when everyone with a hopkins/ucsf/brigham/massgen pipes up, everyone else kind of loses interest, while the pretty kids fellate each other a bit and that thread dies

and then the forum goes quiet for the most part until mid summer when everyone starts asking about their chances, and it all begins again

ok, I'll bite and peek in occassionally.

I'm about to start the best month EVER.. endocrine. I have jury duty, then in-service exam. I might be able to show up to rotation on Monday next week. Then, vacation for a week where I'm vacationing in my own home... sleeping in, baking, shopping... all the things I don't have much time to do now. Then a conference in Vegas. So basically I get to show up to my rotation around the 20th.

I get to pay for this wonderfulness in my early month by having call two weekends in a row. :shrug:

Now, as to where to find women, depends on the type of woman you're looking for. Are you looking for the type that's arm-candy, fun to play with for a day or two and then never call again? Go to a hoity-toity bar where a decent martini costs $10. Be prepared to have a totally empty wallet.

Looking for a nice lady, nice looking, intelligent, and single? Grad school. Sometimes even medical students or residents (but don't fish off the company pier - nothing good can come of that - look for women that aren't rotating through your unit). Unfortunately, any nice lady who is intelligent and single will likely be busy as heck getting her own career underway, but that might be a good thing because they won't be cling-y expecting you to have tons of free time on your hands. And you'll have to find on that actually has a life outside of medicine to keep you both sane. Wow, ok, having read that - good luck. They are out there though - I know of one who just recently got into a relationship with an attending of a different specialty than her own residency.

Now, as to where to find women, depends on the type of woman you're looking for. Are you looking for the type that's arm-candy, fun to play with for a day or two and then never call again? Go to a hoity-toity bar where a decent martini costs $10. Be prepared to have a totally empty wallet.

Looking for a nice lady, nice looking, intelligent, and single? Grad school. Sometimes even medical students or residents (but don't fish off the company pier - nothing good can come of that - look for women that aren't rotating through your unit). Unfortunately, any nice lady who is intelligent and single will likely be busy as heck getting her own career underway, but that might be a good thing because they won't be cling-y expecting you to have tons of free time on your hands. And you'll have to find on that actually has a life outside of medicine to keep you both sane. Wow, ok, having read that - good luck. They are out there though - I know of one who just recently got into a relationship with an attending of a different specialty than her own residency.

I'll keep this in mind, but 1) I never buy a strange woman a drink and 2) I think my mini-midlife crisis has passed for now