The oddball applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriousResearcher

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Start things off, I'm a psychology major with minimal science background. Psych gpa of 3.1 and culmative of 2.83 and rising. I graduate this december. I'm 23 with a wife and child, looking for a second bachelor's in bio for med school admission. I am a veteran and am curious if my endeavors will lead me in the right direction.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a good idea to register for a bachelors degree so that you can get priority for science classes. But once your GPA is above 3.0 and you have a good 30-60 credits of 3.7+, you can apply to DO schools. You can also use grade replacement for any classes that are dragging down your GPA.

PS - You are definitely not an odd applicant. Just a normal non-trad.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't necessarily require a second BS. Take all of your pre-med classes at your local uni as a postbac student. Get straight As and you can theoretically bump that dismal GPA to a 3.4-3.5 depending on your total units. Study hard for the MCAT and dominate it. You'll also need many hours of clinical and volunteer experience, letters of recommendation, etc... search through the forums for more info on extracurriculars. Consider an SMP subsequent to your postbac if you're shooting for an MD and your cGPA is still <3.5. You're still very young, barely a non-trad, so don't fret too much about your timing. Just be glad you have a second chance and don't slack off this time ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Due to funding issues a post bac is out of the question, however a second is not. The "local university" is the private one I'm attending now and out of pocket costs is out of the question. I've planned on doing collaborative research, shadowing, and working at my current job (maladaptive youth home). I only have one prior research opportunity that was with a highly reputable psychologist that is said to be published in a journal. Is grade replacement merely repeating a course? I can finish my second bachelors in about 2.5 years.

Most schools will allow you to enroll on paper as a degree-seeking student, yet only take the post-bacc classes you need so that you can get financial aid. I'm enrolled as a biology major, but I've just been taking pre-med prereqs...kind of. I am taking genetics and trig because my school's premed committee requires them. It would be cool to get a second bachelor's as a symbolic sort of gesture, though, kind of like overriding my first bachelor's because I regret my choice of major. That's a separate topic, though lol.

Due to funding issues a post bac is out of the question, however a second is not. The "local university" is the private one I'm attending now and out of pocket costs is out of the question. I've planned on doing collaborative research, shadowing, and working at my current job (maladaptive youth home). I only have one prior research opportunity that was with a highly reputable psychologist that is said to be published in a journal. Is grade replacement merely repeating a course? I can finish my second bachelors in about 2.5 years.

You don't have to go to a formal program to do a postbac. Just declare yourself to be a chemistry or biology major and take the prereq classes at any 4-year college. You don't need to actually get the second degree. As Wholeheartedly said, grade replacement only counts for DO schools. You can either repeat the course at the same school or take it elsewhere, as long as the retake is the same number of credits or greater and the same level or greater.

Reactions: 1 user
I understand what you are saying sawbones, however my funding situation is covered by post 9/11 and is soon to expire. The only way to get funding is via voc rehabilitation by obtaining retraining(aka new degree that is marketable).

Curious,

your service will be a benefit to you when you apply.

You don't need a 2nd bachelors, nor would it be particularly helpful. The best things you can do are to take the advice of chip/sawbones and victoriah and start the pre-reqs, getting high grades.
Get the GPA up and be prepared for about two years of science work and MCAT to get it all in your head before applying. It's a lot of science for someone with minimal background.

I understand what you are saying sawbones, however my funding situation is covered by post 9/11 and is soon to expire. The only way to get funding is via voc rehabilitation by obtaining retraining(aka new degree that is marketable).
Do they revoke the funding, meaning make you pay it back, if you don't actually complete the second degree?

They don't make me pay it back, they just want me to get to a state in which I am proplerly employable.

I intend on taking some prerequisites next semester, while shadowing/volunteering/collaborative researching with faculty.